macross Series on DVD

eight_car

Well, Macross Plus ME is always an awesome buy. And it definately looks like you won't find it any cheaper than 26.99. The only downside is that it's a hard-subbed VHS dump to DVD release. Which means it looks like crap. You chould always get the R2, but there aren't any subtitles there.

Well, Macross Plus ME is always an awesome buy. And it definately looks like you won't find it any cheaper than 26.99. The only downside is that it's a hard-subbed VHS dump to DVD release. Which means it looks like crap. You chould always get the R2, but there aren't any subtitles there.

Thanks Keith. I may as well stick with my Manga VHS tape then. I don't believe I have a region free player. :cry: Maybe my 360 would play a R2 DVD? I'll have to look into that.

Edit: I just checked the XBox site...so much for that idea.

Edited by Oihan

I rest my case on this sucker. The more people that post to this thread the more convinced I become that ADV could not have done a worse job on this dub if they screwed it up on purpose. Did they? :angry:

I've seen most of the Muh-cross dub, myself. So, I can safely agree with the critics on this thread. I seriously doubt, however, that they f***ed it up on purpose (I rarely use extreme language on these boards, but any discussion of "The Muh-cross Dub" seriously warrants it). ADV seems to have a natural talent, in that regard, without really realizing it. <_<

The very first dub from this company I saw was Neon Genesis Evangelion (on VHS). I was too absorbed in the story/concepts to do a critical analysis of the dubbing quality, which at the time didn't seem bad. In fact, it was far better than the Manga Patlabor Movie dubs (1 and 2-I still cringe when watching them, to this very day).

After having seen other ADV dubs (besides the various rehashes of Evangelion), and seen some subtitled versions of those same dubs, I've come to the conclusion that ADV's dubs tend to be somewhat inferior, to some of the others out there. And in my opinion, "The Muh-cross Dub" really takes the cake, when compared to other ADV dubs I've seen.

In other words, it was a major cluster-f**k. And an insult to Macross fans. But with Harmony Gold USA involved, I wasn't expecting great things from a dubbed Macross release, in the first place. And my predictions proved correct in the end.

Macross + Harmony Gold involvement + ADV (Atrociously Dubbed Videos) = Crapola

Subsitute any company with ADV, and the formula will work out the same.

If I can find somebody local to burn copies of my Animego discs, then I won't waste my money on the ADV release. If not, then I won't have much choice in the matter.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

If I can find somebody local to burn copies of my Animego discs, then I won't waste my money on the ADV release. If not, then I won't have much choice in the matter.

But, again, just in case there's some confusion. . . if you're looking to backup your Animeigos and can't get it done yourself or by a friend, you don't want the ADV set since the sound on the Japanese track is so inferior. You want the $39 repackaged set at RT.com. That's the Animeigo set. Just in a new outer box.

I may as well just buy the rest of the Robotech: Macross Saga DVDs if I'm that in need of watching a dubbed release.

Exactly, if fans want to watch it dubbed then buy the old Robotech release.

Carl Macek may have had an awful habit of editing everything he was associated with but at least he had excellent taste in hiring decent voice actors. His Streamline dubs in particular are seen as some of the best ever.

Robotech has its own problems aside from the changes to the storyline.

• Minmay fundamentally changed - Whinier, less sympathetic, and annoying voice.

• Narration added to help the retarded, or children (or retarded children!) follow the plot.

• Many poignant moments filled with nothing more than silence and music in the original series are instead filled with "Superfriends"-esque exposition by the characters. Perfect example is Hikaru/Rick in the rejuvinated flower field after the Rain of Death. In the original, it's just music and Hikaru standing there for what feels like a very long, (and potentially moving) moment. But in RT, we get Rick Hunter's voice actor re-hashing the entire story up to that point and totally removing any poignancy from it: "And then the giant aliens came and we had to defend ourselves. . . blah blah blah." You can even hear Tony Oliver rushing the lines out to fit the entire monologue into the time alloted. It's just a shame.
I could go on, but that topic has been done to death. That's just some of the issues that I don't see mentioned quite as often.

And that should definately be noted. As bad as the ADV dub is, it's still better than watching Robotech.

Even with the G.I. Joe sounds and 'laser sounding' gunpods? ...And we're talking about the Macross Saga of Robotech, not the rest of the 50 or so episodes after the Macross Saga in Robotech (I could care less for the rest).

Edited by Oihan

This thread really helped me out on making a decision to buy the HG re-release of the Animego's SDFM. I can remember watching the Robotech Series when I was a kid on channel 13 early in the moring before school. Ever since then I couldnt shake the addiction of this series. I then learned about the original series in Japan ever since then I have been collecting M+ dvd's, the some Yamato's 1/60 YF-21, 1/72 VF-1S with Strike Fast Packs, 1/72 Armored VF-1J, and a 1/48 Stealth with Super and Strike Parts. OMG..can you say addiction? My next buy will be the YF-19.

I remember in the early 2000's I saw the frist release. Back then i was broke as a joke and didnt have the funds back then.

Anyways, thanks for all the info guys!

Edited by astig_z

Even with the G.I. Joe sounds and 'laser sounding' gunpods? ...And we're talking about the Macross Saga of Robotech, not the rest of the 50 or so episodes after the Macross Saga in Robotech (I could care less for the rest).

If forced to watch a dub, I'd take Mari & bad SFX + original music over Reba & original SFX + robotech music. Besides, they're the same crappy SFX that were used for the "Robotech remastered."

If forced to watch a dub, I'd take Mari & bad SFX + original music over Reba & original SFX + robotech music. Besides, they're the same crappy SFX that were used for the "Robotech remastered."

Oh! That I did not know. Never mind what I said then....

But, again, just in case there's some confusion. . . if you're looking to backup your Animeigos and can't get it done yourself or by a friend, you don't want the ADV set since the sound on the Japanese track is so inferior. You want the $39 repackaged set at RT.com. That's the Animeigo set. Just in a new outer box.

I had seen this on these boards. However, are these the runs where cracking was an issue?

Most of my Animego discs look OK. But on a couple, there is what may be the beginning of hub cracks. But the issue has me more than a little worried for my collection. The total amount I paid for the three boxed sets was pretty steep, for something I can't watch when I want to because of these concerns. Should I sink an additional forty bucks into something that has a good chance of not lasting? :unsure:

I had seen this on these boards. However, are these the runs where cracking was an issue?

Most of my Animego discs look OK. But on a couple, there is what may be the beginning of hub cracks. But the issue has me more than a little worried for my collection. The total amount I paid for the three boxed sets was pretty steep, for something I can't watch when I want to because of these concerns. Should I sink an additional forty bucks into something that has a good chance of not lasting? :unsure:

the discs are fragile but they're not that fragile. It's not like they'll break if you watch them, only if you rip them from the cases without any care or discipline. The center of the disks are weak, but so long as you press down on the center button of the cases to relieve holding stress on the disks and just let them pop out, they'll be fine.

I've seen most of the Muh-cross dub, myself. So, I can safely agree with the critics on this thread. I seriously doubt, however, that they f***ed it up on purpose (I rarely use extreme language on these boards, but any discussion of "The Muh-cross Dub" seriously warrants it). ADV seems to have a natural talent, in that regard, without really realizing it. <_<

The very first dub from this company I saw was Neon Genesis Evangelion (on VHS). I was too absorbed in the story/concepts to do a critical analysis of the dubbing quality, which at the time didn't seem bad. In fact, it was far better than the Manga Patlabor Movie dubs (1 and 2-I still cringe when watching them, to this very day).

After having seen other ADV dubs (besides the various rehashes of Evangelion), and seen some subtitled versions of those same dubs, I've come to the conclusion that ADV's dubs tend to be somewhat inferior, to some of the others out there. And in my opinion, "The Muh-cross Dub" really takes the cake, when compared to other ADV dubs I've seen.

In other words, it was a major cluster-f**k. And an insult to Macross fans. But with Harmony Gold USA involved, I wasn't expecting great things from a dubbed Macross release, in the first place. And my predictions proved correct in the end.

Macross + Harmony Gold involvement + ADV (Atrociously Dubbed Videos) = Crapola

Subsitute any company with ADV, and the formula will work out the same.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't think they screwed it up on purpose. I was just making a point that with all of the various things that were done wrong, that it would be hard to do a worse job without doing it on purpose. But hey, you never know what other foolish, like Claudia calling Roy a "Rat Bastard", comments might have been left out because they would have been to over the top bad. I don't know though, with all the bad stuff that they did leave in I find it hard to believe that they edited anything stupid out of this thing! It's a real crying shame that the only profesional dub we're likely to ever see was done this poorly!

Edited by wldr

I'm really worried now, I just read in this forum that the Animeigo set cracks. My Animeigo set was bought in three separate box sets do these ones crack is well? :(

I better hurry up and back them up or buy a new version.

I'm really worried now, I just read in this forum that the Animeigo set cracks. My Animeigo set was bought in three separate box sets do these ones crack is well? :(

I better hurry up and back them up or buy a new version.

They are prone to cracking. But they won't suddenly explode for no reason. Just be careful with them. And the ones for sale at RT.com are probably prone to cracking as well as there seems to be no difference between them and the ones in the original boxes.

But, as others have pointed out. . . just be careful with them and you probably won't have any issues.

H

the discs are fragile but they're not that fragile. It's not like they'll break if you watch them, only if you rip them from the cases without any care or discipline. The center of the disks are weak, but so long as you press down on the center button of the cases to relieve holding stress on the disks and just let them pop out, they'll be fine.

I was under the impression that if the discs had minor cracks, playing them regularly will make the cracks worse.

I have long since removed my discs from the cases and have them stored in a secure CD/DVD soft case.

After reading (and posting) on this thread, I went back and re-inspected my discs (I haven't looked at them in a while). Volume 1 definitely has a small V-shaped crack in the hub, that I didn't notice the last time I viewed it several months ago (and to think I try to be extra careful with ALL of my DVDs). I suppose I'm screwed anyway. Thus, that repackaged deal is starting to look very tempting right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Also wanted to add that the Animigo release is progressive while the ADV release is interlaced.

For all those with progressive scan dvd players you will once again benefit hugely from the Animeigo release.

Now THAT is something I wasn't aware of.

Thanks for the info... B))

They are prone to cracking. But they won't suddenly explode for no reason. Just be careful with them. And the ones for sale at RT.com are probably prone to cracking as well as there seems to be no difference between them and the ones in the original boxes.

But, as others have pointed out. . . just be careful with them and you probably won't have any issues.

H

Or make back ups of them if you are capable, then the originals can stay safely stored away. :p

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys! I just decided to order the $40 Animeigo set. It'll be my first time seeing Macross in it's original Japanese. So exciting!

Time to pitch my RT set, now. :p

It is nice. The Animeigo set sure did a lot to bring in new fans. I didn't realize the effect would be so pronounced, but there sure are a lot of people getting into the show via that release and the new ADV set too. Nothing quite like an increase in a franchise's profile to bring in some fans :)

I bought the $40 Animego set through Robotech.com. My set has Harmony gold on the box... does this mean that it is part of a different run? I am trying to decide if I need to copy the dvds due to the cracking...

The animeigo set was prone to cracking, I am not sure about the HG set. So far no complaints so it is possible that the HG disc stock was a better quality.

The animeigo set was prone to cracking, I am not sure about the HG set. So far no complaints so it is possible that the HG disc stock was a better quality.

From all I remember the HG set was just the remaindered stock of Animeigo's run that AE hadn't sold.

It is nice. The Animeigo set sure did a lot to bring in new fans. I didn't realize the effect would be so pronounced, but there sure are a lot of people getting into the show via that release and the new ADV set too. Nothing quite like an increase in a franchise's profile to bring in some fans :)

I;m excited. Ihave to thank all those people that I thought were crazy (for spending so much on 1/48s) that I've seen on the Transformers boards that I frequent for getting me interested. Then the figures themselves for really hooking me. Oh... and Robotech for sucking... :p

Can someone who has the both the Animeigo and HG set compare them to see if the disks themselves are the same - ie the labeling and actual disc appear to be the same. If the HGs are actually a newer run I might buy the HG set as a backup. If they are the same there would be no point would there?

Can someone who has the both the Animeigo and HG set compare them to see if the disks themselves are the same - ie the labeling and actual disc appear to be the same. If the HGs are actually a newer run I might buy the HG set as a backup. If they are the same there would be no point would there?

1st time poster yo.

I bought the original AE boxset when it came out, the 3 mini-boxes from a RightStuf sale when I was worried about the Macross liscense disappearing (these I keep meaning to ship to a friend), and finally the repackaged HG set when I couldn't resist the artwork on the box (at the time the HG box was still $99.99, so I'm a real sucker).

As far as I can tell, The HG discs are identical the the AEs, just repackaged. And are just as prone to cracking.

Last time I watched Macross I did not notice any 'cracks' per se, but definitely some signs of seperation along the hubs of the discs. I suppose it's possible the discs haven't changed since I bought them... really couldn't say.

I take pretty good care of my DVDs, as much as is possible considering my living conditions (there was an extended period last summer when my appartment management was slow to respond to various air conditioning problems I was having... who knows how much the lifespan of all my DVDs may have shrunk during that time).

Here's what I think:

Depending on how concerned you are, you might buy the HG set as a backup ($40 isn't a lot, all things considered), keep it unopened, plus have someone backup DVD-R copies of your current set for you.

And that's the most I would recommend. At some point, you gotta shrug your shoulders and figure you only have so much control in life anyway. :)