The Preacher (Comic and TV series)

Macross73

Fans of the Preacher: it looks like its gonna stay faithful to the book.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?c...=3&id=39072

"Mark Steven Johnson, who has just signed a deal with HBO to adapt the popular Vertigo comic Preacher into an hourlong series, told SCI FI Wire that he plans to turn each issue of the comic into a single episode, which will be as close to the original source material as possible. "I gave [HBO] the comics, and I said, 'Every issue is an hour,'" Johnson said at a preview of his upcoming film Ghost Rider in Hollywood, Calif., on Nov. 30. "And it's exactly the book. ... I had my meeting yesterday, and [Preacher creator] Garth Ennis is on the phone, and we're all in the room, and Garth is like, 'You don't have to be so beholden to the comic.' And I'm like, 'No, no, no. It's got to be like the comic.' So that's what's so brilliant about it. It's just like, HBO, who else would do it but them? Nobody. ... HBO is just like, 'Bring it on.'"

[attachmentid=38603]

post-3216-1165037908_thumb.jpg

wow, but HBO. I love so much of the series they make. Band of Brothers, Oz, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, etc etc, now Preacher! cool. I'm liking this a lot more than the now dead and buried movie idea. With (IIRC) the dude who played Cyclops in the x-men movies.

• 9 years later...

Don't want to start a new thread dedicated to PREACHER since there's already an existing one. Though this old thread is already years old. But it's the same series that was initiated at HBO but it didn't push thru. And here it is now on AMC. The first episode is free over iTunes, Google Play.

Storyline:
"Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer is accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church. Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God Himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the universe."

Cast:
Dominic Cooper - Jesse Custer
Joseph Gilgun - Cassidy
Ruth Negga - Tulip O'Hare
Lucy Griffiths - Emily
W.Earl Brown - Hugo Root
Tom Brooke - Fiore
Anatol Yusef - DeBlanc
Ian Colletti - Arseface

Forbes review here.

Mods can change this thread title if they want to keep this thread specific for the new AMC The Preacher show.

Edited by no3ljm

Yeah. Don't look for a slavish adaptation of the comic - that's pretty much out. On the other hand, it has the Preacher feel, so far, and that's what I'm looking for most.

Also, for those who are wondering, it SEEMS to have Starr in it, although he has sight in both eyes and a penchant for eating teabags whole. No word of the Grail, either. Early days, perhaps.

I'll watch the rest, no doubt.