Sony Playstation Portable Thread

twich

Dear Polyphony Digital,

Where is Special Stage/Clubman Route 5?

Regards,

Valkyrie Nut

Seriously though, I'm really enjoying GT PSP but the fact that the night tracks aren't there has kind of let me down :(

I've never dealt with them. Their prices always seemed a bit high. In this case, they're actually cheaper, but the shipping's more, so it's still a wash.

Yeah, between NCSX and Play-Asia, I tend to go PA. Asked some friends and they recommended these places, no personal experience from me though. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.renchi.com/index.jsp

http://www.japangamestock.com/

http://www.paletweb.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno if this got posted before, but for those who fiddle with firmwares and end up with "corrupted save files", this may help out alot.

http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=137188

Wow I figured it out after 2 days.. Luckily I was able to babelfish that URL I posted above from chinese to english. I'll try to type up more details about it in case more people want to know how to do it.

File downloads:

25455_FreeCheat1.0.12.18.zip

SaveDataE-D_cn.rar

1. Extract FreeCheat to the root of your memory card

2. Extract SED to /PSP/GAME/

3. Follow instructions on readme to install freecheat.

4. Back up your corrupted save game to computer.

5. Start the game and start to create a new saved game. Before you actually save the new game to the memory stick you should press the note key which will bring up the freecheat console. We need to tell freecheat to go into dump memory mode so when you save the new game it creates the files we need. On the freecheat console go to Mem Manager -> SAVEDATE Manager -> Operate Mode -> Dump. Now hit X to back out to where you can confirm to save the game. Save the game to the memory card.

6. Now exit the game and enable USB to browse your memory stick and go to /FreeCheat/SAVEDATA/ and you will see 2 files. I have:

ULJM-05500.key and ULJM-05500_0.sav

You only need to rename the ULJM-05500.key file to ULJM05500.bin removing the "-" and renaming extention to .bin. Copy this file into /PSP/GAME/SED/gamekey directory on the memory stick.

7. Backup the new save game that you created from /PSP/SAVEDATA/ to your computer for later.

8. Copy your corrupted save game from computer back to /PSP/SAVEDATA/

9. Run SED and it will load a list of save games you have. Press /\ (Triangle) on your corrupted save game and press O on the top option. Then select "Yes" and hit O again to decrypt your corrupted save game to a .bin file on the root of the card. Mine is called: ULJM005500.bin

10. Now copy your new saved game you backed up on the computer back to the /PSP/SAVEDATA/ directory. The directory of the saved game should match the name of the .bin file you just created. If it doesnt rename the .bin file to match it.

11. Load up SED again and find the new saved game and Press /\ (Triangle) to bring up the options and select the 2nd one down from the top and press O and select "Yes" and press O again. This will encrypt the .bin file you just created into the new saved game which is the old corrupted saved game info!

12. Now just start up the game and load your old save game that use to be corrupted!

I'd imagine this would work for any game that is having issues because of new firmware.

Hoowahman

Adding on to that, if you have cwcheat plugins enabled, you have to turn them off or otherwise your PSP will boot to a black screen...

Edited by shiroikaze

• 4 months later...

Monster Hunter Portable 3 announced. It is not based on Portable Second G or MHTri, but will draw from both games, such as including monsters from both(damn you Tigrex!) and weapons(Whooo! Switch axe!)

No current release date, but hopefully it'll be released by the end of the year in Japan

...which means about half a year later for the US release.

Edited by D.D. Ivanov

I never really got a chance to try Monster Hunter, but it looks like I've really been missing out...

How does the game work? Is it P2P play where everyone connects to one host or so? Or is there a master server like every other MMO out there?

Edited by shiroikaze

I never really got a chance to try Monster Hunter, but it looks like I've really been missing out...

How does the game work? Is it P2P play where everyone connects to one host or so? Or is there a master server like every other MMO out there?

It's not really a MMO, more a co-op focused action RPG. Four players can party up on a hunt. It's adHoc only, but you can set up internet games over the net through third party tunneling/matchmaking programs like adHoc Party or XLink Kai.

It's not really a MMO, more a co-op focused action RPG. Four players can party up on a hunt. It's adHoc only, but you can set up internet games over the net through third party tunneling/matchmaking programs like adHoc Party or XLink Kai.

Gundam Assault Survive is out now in Japan (and for those of you who go this route, it works on 5.50 GEN-D3). I gave it a quick try. It's definitely a Gundam Battle game, but changes have been made. From the start, you have a little more options when deciding how your pilot will look and sound, but his/her abilities are determined by answering a series of questions. It seems like the results will also get your a bonus mobile suit (in my case, a GM White Dingo version).

The next thing you'll notice is that every campagin (save extra) is available right from the start, and you no longer pick which faction. Instead, the names of the missions are different colors. This means that if you enter the 0079 campaign, you'll have a blue Federation mission and a red Zeon mission available. Beating Feddie missions will unlock more of the, and you can only use your Feddie suits. If you pick to do a Zeon mission, you'll have access to your Zeon suits, but you'll use the same pilot, which I guess should make it easier to unlock all the units on one save file.

Speaking of unlocks, GAS is taking a page from MUF and including a shop. I'm not sure if there are other ways to unlock new units, but so far every unit I've added to my my ranks has been purchased in the shop. Shopping takes some planning, though, because you can also buy new pilots, mobile suit parts, skills, titles, and secrets. There's also a spot in the shop called "Development." I'm not 100% certain at this point, but it seems like you can spend money to develop new mobile suits that will either be unlocked or available in the shop later (my list says something about the GM WD being Finished, GM Cannon being Developed, and Haman Karn's Gaza-C requiring me to invest 100,000G).

Money isn't just tied into unlocking new units and what not. You don't get tune points anymore, just money. If you want to tune a mobile suit, you have to buy the tune points to do it. This adds another layer of strategy. Instead of constantly tuning a mobile suit while waiting for a better one to unlock, you can be more selective about which ones to unlock and weigh the cost of a new MS vs. the cost of upgrading one you already have.

I'm not really sure what the huge advantage for this is yet, but you don't have one partner anymore. You get two now. You can order one partner by hitting select and then pressing a direction on the d-pad. If you want to order the other, you hit select and then either triangle, X, square, or circle.

You may also notice that I mentioned parts. You can collect different parts in the game. I'm not sure if different units can equip different numbers of parts, but the GM WD I've been using has one slot for a part. Parts come in different sizes. The Type 61 tank is a small unit, so it's limited to small parts. A GM is a medium unit, so it can equip small or medium parts. I equipped a small part called "Control Vernier" onto my GM WD, adding +10 to its turning ability.

Lastly, while the controls are the same as they ever were, the rules seem to have changed a bit. Instead of having a variety of missions, missions seem to be more about taking and maintaining control of battlefields. On almost every mission I've played (Federation, so far), there's been a Medea and a Gallop on the field. The field is represented in the upper left corner of your HUD, and you can see a number of red dots representing enemies. Sometimes to control a field you have to take out all of the enemy units. Sometimes, you have to take out their Gallop (and I assume you can lose if your Medea gets destroyed). A mission might end after taking a field, or it might require you to move on to another field. The longest mission I've completed had me move from field A to B to C. There was a D field showing on my HUD, which indicates the existence of alternate routes through a mission, although I'm not sure how I would have got to D. It also seems like you can move back and forth between the fields, which is kind of handy since it seems possible to repair your units at your Medea.

Oh, and Artdink seems to have increased the number of available units even beyond adding some for the new campaigns. Just as an example, I have a Federation Type 61 tank as an available unit to pilot.

How the hell did I miss this coming out. An un-expected expense, but damn, I can't help but order it.

I mentioned it briefly in the "All Things Video Games Thread" back in January, but no one seemed interested at the time.

I like that you only have to create one pilot now, and I like they're not just rehashing levels like they did in GBU. But this new approach needs work. Missions take a lot longer to complete, and while GBU had checkpoints on multi-stage missions, GAS has none. The Solomon mission on the Feddie side is supremely frustrating. They start you in Area A. You have to quickly take out the enemies there and move to B, or the enemies there (including a Zakrello) will take out the White Base, instantly ending the mission. If you manage that, you can go to Area C to take out some Musais, then come back to Area B on your way to Area D. By now, you've probably been doing this mission for 10 minutes or so. Upon entering Area D, a Bigro that's outside of your own targeting range will immediately begin firing on you, and two or three hits is enough to destroy an RX-78-2. Assuming you survive long enough to take it, the other Zeon MS, and the Musais in Area D out, you'll be able to travel to Area E to fight the Big Zam. And if it kills you there, you've flushed maybe 15-20 minutes down the drain.

Depending on the suit your using, I've also noticed that enemies seem to be able to take more hits than they did in previous Battle games. I remember taking out most enemies with a single shot from a GM Sniper, but Gundam Dynames needs three to kill a Tieren.

On the plus side, the mobile suits of the Celestial Being missions of the 00 campaign are nice and beefy without much in the way of upgrades. You can do most of those missions, then use the cash you get from them to go back and upgrade your 0079 suits.

I've been playing the demo whle I wait for my copy to arrive. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to switch area's, but overall, the new map system seems pretty smooth. In general, this game feels like they mixed the GBU engine with the MAC engine good guy/bad guy mission together structure), and apparently threw in the shop & menu switch from MUF. I can understand going with an pre-MUF engine for Gundam, since that really is tailored to Macross, but I think they should have incorporated MAC's version of the pilot skill system, using both custom pilot skills, and mecha skills. Mayhaps the next game. I do like that they're mixing AU Gundam now. MAF's special enemy mission tab would also be cool, but again, all of that maybe the next game.

In general though, what's covered in this game, from what little I've read on gamefaqs.

-SEED (CE 73)

-00 (whenver the hell that happens, still haven't watched it yet, I'm holding out to see if BE releases it on bluray here, or at the very least the cheaper season sets so I won't feel bad double dipping when it does hit bluray).

-Extra mission w/Victory suits (0153)

But are all couple hundred some mobile suits from Battle Tactics/Royale/Chronicle/Universe still included?

Xi, Penelope, HI-Nu, FAZZ, etc Is the SEED campaign a full first series campaign? I'm curious about how they've incorperated Blitz's mirage colloid. And of course, I don't even have this game, but I'm already anticipated the next game having full Victory, Wing, X, Turn A, SEED Destiny, and 00 Season 2 campaigns, with Unicorn extra missions.

Sweet, looking at the official site, looks like they added the Zudah, wonder if it explodes if you boost for too long :)

Edited by Keith

I've been playing the demo whle I wait for my copy to arrive. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to switch area's, but overall, the new map system seems pretty smooth. In general, this game feels like they mixed the GBU engine with the MAC engine good guy/bad guy mission together structure), and apparently threw in the shop & menu switch from MUF. I can understand going with an pre-MUF engine for Gundam, since that really is tailored to Macross, but I think they should have incorporated MAC's version of the pilot skill system, using both custom pilot skills, and mecha skills. Mayhaps the next game. I do like that they're mixing AU Gundam now. MAF's special enemy mission tab would also be cool, but again, all of that maybe the next game.

In general though, what's covered in this game, from what little I've read on gamefaqs.

-SEED (CE 73)

-00 (whenver the hell that happens, still haven't watched it yet, I'm holding out to see if BE releases it on bluray here, or at the very least the cheaper season sets so I won't feel bad double dipping when it does hit bluray).

-Extra mission w/Victory suits (0153)

But are all couple hundred some mobile suits from Battle Tactics/Royale/Chronicle/Universe still included?

Xi, Penelope, HI-Nu, FAZZ, etc Is the SEED campaign a full first series campaign? I'm curious about how they've incorperated Blitz's mirage colloid. And of course, I don't even have this game, but I'm already anticipated the next game having full Victory, Wing, X, Turn A, SEED Destiny, and 00 Season 2 campaigns, with Unicorn extra missions.

Sweet, looking at the official site, looks like they added the Zudah, wonder if it explodes if you boost for too long :)

Yeah, there's a campaign called "Extra" between 0123 and SEED. (And for the record 00 is another AU that takes place in the 24th century CE.) I'm not sure what's all confirmed, but I know there's some from Victory. In any case, I find it hard to imagine that they'd take away MS from previous Battle games when they make stuff like the Type 61 tank and the Magella tank available.

Oh, and I think I figured out a little more about the "Development" option in the store. One of the options said something about Gundam (MC). So I bought that one. In the parts store, I noticed one said "magnetic coating" (if you know nothing else of the Japanese language, at least learning to read katakana will be a huge help). I bought that, then equipped it on the Gundam. A few missions later, a message popped up saying that new MS were available in the shop, and one of them turned out to be Gundam (MC). That was a lucky break, though, since I can't read enough Japanese to figure out what the requirements are for any given suit. Hopefully something will turn up on GameFAQs later.

So do you get any bonuses for having save data from the previous gundam battle games?

Yeah, there'll be some kind of item(s) in the shop that costs 0G. Purchasing it gives you money. The amount depends on how many/which saves you have.

Ok, now that I've put a little mileage on Assault Survive, I can honestly say I dig the new "field" system. Aside from some really tough ass missions that are a bitch to die all the way at the end, its benefits vastly outweigh its negatives. Though I'd keep it specific to Gundam, since storywise, Macross wouldn't really benefit from going back & forth between battlefields.

I do wish they kept the shop more in line with MUF's though. I dig being able to purchase parts & TP for mobile suits, but I think MUF had it right with tune points being earned after the mission, with optional extra tune point purchases from the shop. Though perhaps it was just far too unweildly with the 300 some mobile suits/armors/etc.

With that said, I was getting really stumped why no Zeon suits were coming up for purchase on the 0079 campaign. Here I was all the way up to Aboa Qu, and I still only had my dinky ass grunt Zaku II, and the non-space worthy tank from IGLOO. I was certain a Rick Dom at the very least should have been earned, then bam, I hit square in the MS shop, and there's the Zeon side purchases, doh!

I do wish they'd have let me keep my tune points from Universe though, since I had a good chunk fully leveled up, but nope, gonna be a long trek starting from scratch. Right now I've finished 0078 Federation/Zeon, SEED both side, most of 00, and I'm nearly done with the Federation side 0f 0083. If only I could figure out how to get the full vernier GP-01...

With that said, I can't wait to tear ass thorugh this game with Hi-Nu, Freedom, & the V2!!

Edited by Keith

Ok, now that I've put a little mileage on Assault Survive, I can honestly say I dig the new "field" system. Aside from some really tough ass missions that are a bitch to die all the way at the end, its benefits vastly outweigh its negatives. Though I'd keep it specific to Gundam, since storywise, Macross wouldn't really benefit from going back & forth between battlefields.

I do wish they kept the shop more in line with MUF's though. I dig being able to purchase parts & TP for mobile suits, but I think MUF had it right with tune points being earned after the mission, with optional extra tune point purchases from the shop. Though perhaps it was just far too unweildly with the 300 some mobile suits/armors/etc.

With that said, I was getting really stumped why no Zeon suits were coming up for purchase on the 0079 campaign. Here I was all the way up to Aboa Qu, and I still only had my dinky ass grunt Zaku II, and the non-space worthy tank from IGLOO. I was certain a Rick Dom at the very least should have been earned, then bam, I hit square in the MS shop, and there's the Zeon side purchases, doh!

I do wish they'd have let me keep my tune points from Universe though, since I had a good chunk fully leveled up, but nope, gonna be a long trek starting from scratch. Right now I've finished 0078 Federation/Zeon, SEED both side, most of 00, and I'm nearly done with the Federation side 0f 0083. If only I could figure out how to get the full vernier GP-01...

With that said, I can't wait to tear ass thorugh this game with Hi-Nu, Freedom, & the V2!!

When you go to purchase mobile suits and you're on the Feddie list, tap either square or triangle (I forget which at the moment) to switch to the Zeon list. By the time you get to A Baoa Qu, you should have at least unlocked the basic Gelgoog.

You do tend to earn very few suits just by playing the game. Getting more suits is easy, but expensive and time-consuming. Since the suits from the SEED campaign and the 00 campaign require very little in the way of upgrading, I recommend doing those, as the higher-level missions can nab you between 300,000 and 500,000G.

Anyway, the idea is that you'll start with a mobile suit of a type, like the vanilla GM. Next, you'll need to buy plans for a variant, like the GM (WD) or the GM Sniper II (Development is the second option from the bottom in the shop, btw). Then, you'll be required to buy tune points for the starting suit. Depending on what you're starting with and what you're building, it's usually between 1000 and 6000. One tune point doesn't equal 1G, though, so as I said, that can get expensive if you're dumping a lot of tune points into a suit you'll never use again. The third thing you'll need is to equip the suit with a specific part, which can also get very expensive. Most of the parts seem to be under 100,000G, but occasionally you'll need one over 500,000G. To make a GM Sniper II, you'll need to equip the GM with a long range scope. Once you've set the starting suit up, you have to play a mission with it. I don't think you have to win, and it can be a mission you've done before. When you're done, go to the shop, and you'll get a mission about how they developed a new suit. Of course, despite dumping a fortune on tune points and parts, you still have to buy the new suit.

Like I said, I figured out the square thing, just took me to the end of the campaign, poor little overworked Zaku II. Figured out the developement thing too, it's just an odd way of setting up unlockables, but it's col.

What I haven't been able to find though, is an MS gallery of all unlocked suits. I also noticed this game is missing the fun little loading screen images. Since it's still not using the whole UMD, I wonder why they weren't included. I did opt for software install, but I'm still not sure it cut down on loading times by anything noticable. Maybe it's meant for the older model PSP's?

Edited by Keith

Yes. Because Macross Ultimate Frontier (the sequel) builds and improves on it in so many ways that you should go with it instead.

True, but is it worth updating my PSP Firmware to 5.55 from 3.90 M33-3 just to play Macross Ultimate Frontier? I don't have a pandora battery so I have to plan my updates very carefully.

True, but is it worth updating my PSP Firmware to 5.55 from 3.90 M33-3 just to play Macross Ultimate Frontier? I don't have a pandora battery so I have to plan my updates very carefully.

It's even worth buying a whole second PSP for if need be!

I actually agree with Keith's sentiment. I have a PSP-3000 with the current firmware for the stack of UMDs I own (including MUF and GBU), and an old PSP-1000 that I use to figure out if games (especially imports) are worth the cash (jury's still out on GAS, but I have high hopes for the next one).

In any case, update your firmware to 5.50 GEN-D3. I'm pretty sure that works with MUF, or there was a patched iso that worked with it.

You could just update to the latest m33 firmware. My PSP-1000 is still on firmware 5.00 m33-6, it plays Macross Ultimate Frontier just fine.

One little note though, save files saved under the older firmwares may not jive with the newer firmware. You have to convert them to the new firmware in order for them to be usable. It may look like a tedious process, but it's actually quite painless.

Edited by shiroikaze

Anybody gonna be picking up Metal Gear Peace Walker? I saw this on Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDet...roduct_id=77469

I would've picked this up if the PSP was actually a gunmetal grey like the limited metal gear gunmetal PS3 bundle, even though I already have a psp, it would've been nice to have. ^_^

Figures. Since I never really play ISOs on my PSP anyways and it turns pandora downgrade kits are only $25. I decided I will just upgrade to 5.55 through the MUF UMD I bought the other day. In the unlikely event that I need to have to play a PSP ISO in the future I can just get a pandora battery and Magic Memory Card to downgrade my PSP-1000.

I mentioned it briefly in the "All Things Video Games Thread" back in January, but no one seemed interested at the time.

Yup you were disappointed because I didn't care because I have little interest in the AUs and series set way later in UC :lol:

By the sound of things and videos like I figured I'm not missing much if anything.

Yup you were disappointed because I didn't care because I have little interest in the AUs and series set way later in UC :lol:

By the sound of things and videos like I figured I'm not missing much if anything.

Dude, the flight mode for the RX-78-2 is the G-Sky! This game is freakin' awesome. Besides, it's not so much about liking AU's or not, it's awaitin the epic Hi-Nu/Freedom battle. As well as taking mobile suits into storylines they don't belong in, and tearing ass with them.

Edited by Keith