Sony Playstation Portable Thread

twich

Ahh, well i'm happy enough mate! See what deals pop up for ya, i really had no choice, psp 2000's were already on evilbay for twice the price playing of the screen complaints.

Still waiting or the hacks to rol in t get mine modded properly.

Are you noticing any "scanlines" when you play God of War? I'm curious on your thoughts about it all.

Edited by Oihan

Are you noticing any "scanlines" when you play God of War? I'm curious on your thoughts about it all.

Seriously. :huh: I think I may have to go up a few diopters in power to my glasses. I still have not really noticed any of these "scanlines" in my gameplay. Not with God of War, or Ace frontier, nor Disgaea. Hell not even in Crisis Core. I only really notice them (and it's a some what notice) when watching video. :(

Seriously. :huh: I think I may have to go up a few diopters in power to my glasses. I still have not really noticed any of these "scanlines" in my gameplay. Not with God of War, or Ace frontier, nor Disgaea. Hell not even in Crisis Core. I only really notice them (and it's a some what notice) when watching video. :(

Hey...I'm stickler when it comes to this kind of thing. While I may not be able to see the difference between 1080p and 720p, I sure as hell can see the difference between progressive and interlaced. I just don't want to go out and spend $200 on one of these things...only to be distracted by these lines and not enjoy MAF. Is that unreasonable?

Edit: Thanks for your input on the whole scanline issue.

Edit #2: Someone suggested earlier that those of us looking to buy should find a place that will take items back - no questions asked. Some of those options have already been exhausted. :/

Edited by Oihan

Hey...I'm stickler when it comes to this kind of thing. While I may not be able to see the difference between 1080p and 720p, I sure as hell can see the difference between progressive and interlaced. I just don't want to go out and spend $200 on one of these things...only to be distracted by these lines and not enjoy MAF. Is that unreasonable?

Edit: Thanks for your input on the whole scanline issue.

Edit #2: Someone suggested earlier that those of us looking to buy should find a place that will take items back - no questions asked. Some of those options have already been exhausted. :/

I completly understand. I would be pissed if I got Ace frontier, and it as ruined by interlacing issues. As for returns no questions asked. I'm telling you walmart. I work there and they take PSPs back, as long as you have the reciept and box and everything that came with it and of course the PSP itself in good condition. (well the Walmart I work at Paramount california Walmart off of Rosecrans)

Well. My Photofast CR-5400 finally came in the mail just now. I must say. It's alot more solid then from what I'v read in the reviews of this thing. I mean it's still thin and feels like a wafer, but it didn't feel like it was going to snap in my hands, as other people have stated in there reviews. Putting the 16GB sdhc cards was a little tricky. I was worried I might snap the adaptor card, but with a little elagance I managed to get them in. Now when I placed the Photofast card with the 2 16gb sdhc cards into my PSP, my PSP did not recognize the card, and I got the message "Memory Card unrecognize. Please go to settings and reformat card." or something close to that. This is where I was worried. Since I read alot of the Photofast cards were unable to reformatted by PSPs well others had no problem. Well mine formatted, no problem. 2 16gb sdhc card = 29.6gb space capacity on my PSP. I also tested out to see if the card "stuck" in the memory slot after trying to eject it, and no it didn't. The only thing I noticed was the brand sticker on the bottom of the memory card was scraped, but no problem thus far. Right now am transfering my music from my Sony 16gb MS Pro Duo to my Photofast, and the transfer seems to be going fine thus far, no couruption, just slooooowwww (229 minutes untill transfer is complete). :(

I plan on transfering all my videos and movie's from my 8gb to this card also. when I do. I'll update.

Edit#2:

This is being done on my PSP3000 model.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

If you really want a 2000, check your local blockbuster, chances are some of them are sitting on old madden/god of war PSP 2000 bundles.

I never thought to look there. Thanks for the heads up.

Well. It took a little while. But I have successfully transfered all my data from my 16Gb Sony MS Pro Duo, to my Photofast Dual micro sd card adapter, and so far it's been good. No slow down when playing PSN games (Castlevania SOTN and Suikoden). Also no lag when loading/saving on UMD games (tested on Macross Ace Frontier). The only things I noticed, that was stated again by other owners/useres of this card, is there is a slight slowdown, when accessing the VIDEO icon from the XMB cross bar. usually it takes 4-5 seconds to load and open, but with this card it's doubled to 8-10, but after the load, everything is fine. Also the card is a tad longer then a normal MS pro duo, so the tail end sticks out slightly from the memory slot, making the cover pop out ever so silghtly. I found if you bend the memory card cover ever so slightly, it makes this problem less noticable. all in all, this is a awsome product. For less then the price of my old 16GB card, I was able to double the space on my PSP. And thankfully avoid all the problems that plauged other users/purchessers of the card! ^_^B))

• 8 months later...
Will anyone here be picking up the PSP Go? I've got mine preordered and it should arrive on the launch day B))

I do need a new PSP (my launch unit's UMD drive is busted), but with the PSP-3000 $80 cheaper and me having a small stack of UMDs, not a chance.

Will anyone here be picking up the PSP Go? I've got mine preordered and it should arrive on the launch day B))

To be honest, I like the idea of the Go. For a portable, it makes sense to be UMD less. Granted, I have about 30 or so UMD's, so they'd be rendered useless for a Go, but I can't help the feeling that whenever I go on a trip, I wind up leaving the PSP because I don't want to carry discs. For a home system, I wouldn't care but a portable...

The price is the only thing that is keeping me from picking one up. that and I'd like to feel one in my hands first...the PSP is just too big for a portable (i have an original so that might not be a fair assesment), and I always wished it was smaller.

We'll see.

Nah, i'm perfectly happy with my hacked GOW PSP-2000, Plus it's only $50 less than the PS3 slim i just bought to replace my 60Gig bricked by the 3.0 update

Edited by NSJ23

To be honest, I like the idea of the Go. For a portable, it makes sense to be UMD less. Granted, I have about 30 or so UMD's, so they'd be rendered useless for a Go, but I can't help the feeling that whenever I go on a trip, I wind up leaving the PSP because I don't want to carry discs. For a home system, I wouldn't care but a portable...

The price is the only thing that is keeping me from picking one up. that and I'd like to feel one in my hands first...the PSP is just too big for a portable (i have an original so that might not be a fair assesment), and I always wished it was smaller.

We'll see.

Well, you could always try to pick it up from Dell's online store. Every now and then, they have game consoles (including portables) well under their regular sales price.

Too bad you can't officially convert your games to digital format for the PSPGo...

Wrong answer, McFly! :lol:

Pshh. Screw that. I got all excited for nothing. :p

What's wrong with 6.0?

I'm just curious. I've had an original PSP Phat since launch. I put a custom firmware on it a long time ago. I didn't bother to keep up with it, though. Whatever firmware I had on it was good enough to do Gundam Battle Universe and Macross Ace Frontier.

I'm concerned that Ultimate Frontier will require me to update the firmware, and rather than dicking around trying to figure out if I can upgrade my CFW with a newer one, or if the newest CFW is compatible enough, I'm thinking about buying a PSP-3000 and importing Ultimate Frontier. I'd leave the hacked Phat alone with the CFW that's on it, but I figured I'd update the 3000 to whatever the current official firmware is.

What's wrong with 6.0?

I'm just curious. I've had an original PSP Phat since launch. I put a custom firmware on it a long time ago. I didn't bother to keep up with it, though. Whatever firmware I had on it was good enough to do Gundam Battle Universe and Macross Ace Frontier.

I'm concerned that Ultimate Frontier will require me to update the firmware, and rather than dicking around trying to figure out if I can upgrade my CFW with a newer one, or if the newest CFW is compatible enough, I'm thinking about buying a PSP-3000 and importing Ultimate Frontier. I'd leave the hacked Phat alone with the CFW that's on it, but I figured I'd update the 3000 to whatever the current official firmware is.

The screen on the 3000 is worth it, and so far, no trouble with the 6.0 firmware myself, don't know what anyone elses problem is. But damn, that tank battle is crazy, I can't wait for the explanation on the super troops there.

Edited by Keith

I picked up a new PSP-3000 at Gamestop today. My first impressions were that Sony really is going overboard on packing compared to the tiny box the original came in, is cheaping out on pack ins, and holy cow is it lighter. It doesn't really look that much smaller, but the weight difference is really impressive... although the downside is that the plastic feels a lot cheaper.

One thing I'm not happy with, though, is a super obnoxious stuck green pixel in the upper left corner. I thought stuck pixels weren't supposed to be as much of an issue these days? It's just the one, but it's REALLY noticeable. Does anyone know Gamestop's return policy for stuck pixels? I'm going to run PixelFix on it tonight, to see if that unsticks it, but if not I think this PSP might go back.

I picked up a new PSP-3000 at Gamestop today. My first impressions were that Sony really is going overboard on packing compared to the tiny box the original came in, is cheaping out on pack ins, and holy cow is it lighter. It doesn't really look that much smaller, but the weight difference is really impressive... although the downside is that the plastic feels a lot cheaper.

One thing I'm not happy with, though, is a super obnoxious stuck green pixel in the upper left corner. I thought stuck pixels weren't supposed to be as much of an issue these days? It's just the one, but it's REALLY noticeable. Does anyone know Gamestop's return policy for stuck pixels? I'm going to run PixelFix on it tonight, to see if that unsticks it, but if not I think this PSP might go back.

so far I haven't had any problems with my new PSP. I bought the dissidia psp bundle. Too bad it's not like the japanese Final Fantasy bundles where they give you a nice box and a lot of free goodies inside. Oh well. I think you should be able to bring it back and trade it for a new one.

Take it back, if GS gives you trouble, ask for their DL's number, and harass them until they take it back. There's no reason to get shafted with stuck pixels. Or you could just say there was some other problem with it... :)

Nah, i'm perfectly happy with my hacked GOW PSP-2000, Plus it's only $50 less than the PS3 slim i just bought to replace my 60Gig bricked by the 3.0 update
You should of made Sony take that back and give you a refurb. Yell on the phone etc, there's no reason you should be forced to update system firmware when it's Russian roulette for bricking out of warranty.

Take it back, if GS gives you trouble, ask for their DL's number, and harass them until they take it back. There's no reason to get shafted with stuck pixels. Or you could just say there was some other problem with it... :)

I'm cool now. Pixelfix fixed it.

Sold my 1st-gen 16GB iPod touch for $150 today. I never use it; while it does do some things better than my WinMo phone, I wound up using my phone for everything since it's once less device to carry. I think I'll use that cash to buy Macross Ultimate Frontier and Gundam Battle Universe, since GBU and MAF have been the only two games I've played on my PSP and are the sole reason my old PSP had custom firmware.

EDIT: Although I fully intend to buy the game still (so I can play it on my PSP-3000 via TV out to the big TV), I found an ISO... which motivated me to get up off my butt and try to find a custom firmware for my old PSPhat. Turns out I had 3.90 M33-2, and it was relatively painless to upgrade to 5.50 GEN-B2... apparently 0.05 off from running MUF. Does anyone know, is that the most recent custom firmware?

Edited by mikeszekely

Are there any good stores to import games from besides Play-Asia? I ordered MUF from them, as I've dealt with them before. I was going to order Gundam Battle Universe with it, but it was going to take a week to ship (MUF ships in 24 hours), so I figured I'd get it later. Then while I was thinking about it, GBU costs as much as MUF, despite being over a year old. I was wondering if I might find it cheaper elsewhere. Figured I'd see where the rest of you guys have had good experiences.

Are there any good stores to import games from besides Play-Asia? I ordered MUF from them, as I've dealt with them before. I was going to order Gundam Battle Universe with it, but it was going to take a week to ship (MUF ships in 24 hours), so I figured I'd get it later. Then while I was thinking about it, GBU costs as much as MUF, despite being over a year old. I was wondering if I might find it cheaper elsewhere. Figured I'd see where the rest of you guys have had good experiences.

NCSX is also a good shop and they've been around forever. Their prices tend to be higher than PA's though. Cheap import games are pretty rare, short of finding them on clearance somewhere or perhaps on eBay.

Picked up a white PSP Go yesterday evening. Love. It. Compared to my original brick, I will actually take this on trips. Size for me is perfect ( I have smaller hands so it is much more comfortable to me).

I like the feel of the shoulder buttons and the analog nub. The face buttons and D-pad sort of have a DS feel to them, probably because they are smaller than the original/2/3000 ones. Speakers are much improved too. Wi-Fi being B is kinda lame but Bluetooth is very nice. I can download my digital PSN purchases to both my PSP's which is nice (no need for 2 sets of UMD's like with my friends before).

The white is "pearl" which means it's a little "sparkly", but it doesn't show the fingerprints like the glossy black. It would look absolutely great in a Silver or Red/Blue like the new Dual Shock 3's. Rubber grips on the back are nice, and the thing is just a joy to hold.

The screen, though a 1/2 inch smaller is particularly vibrant. It's smaller but has more "pop". It's still glossy, so screen protector recommended.

Has a calendar/clock, and of course now a proprietary USB cable for accessories (boo!). 16 GB of internal storage and of course, now a memory stick micro card slot. Came with a voucher for Rock Band Unplugged "Lite", and a Patapon 2 demo pre-loaded. Tried Gran Turismo which is nice, and Dissidia Final Fantasy demo which was actually pretty good. Rock Band without instruments was...well, Rock Band without instruments....good for a casual romp. You can now "pause" a game anywhere and come back to it later (something I always though should be standard on a portable).

Since I had it hooked up to my PS3, I uploaded some of my PS One classics on there as well. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania SOTN, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and R Types, now on the system. Battery seems about on par with the extended on my Original.

Bottom Line: Great for those looking for a PSP that don't have a huge library of UMD's. Price is about $50 too high...should include a PSN card for purchases to offset the cost and to get some people really started. Form factor is great, memory expansion is a bit obscure, but no carrying around UMD's or a subway sandwich sized system makes up for it. I like it. It's not for everyone though. The 3000's will serve most people well. It's a unique way of bringing the PSP to new users/early adopters.

Edited by Gaijin