What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Ah, perfect! Thanks MechTech!

Actually, the CNC YF-19 deal feel through... The guy's pretty busy, it would seem. However, as I mentioned in the Yamato SV-51 thread, I am actually working on designing/building a 72" x 48" x 10" CNC mill. (Don't worry, Sean, your SV is still top priority. As soon as those motors get here, that is. :mad: )

Anyway, the mill is designed to be accurate down to 0.001", with a 1HP spindle motor, so milling foam airframes should be a piece of cake. It should even be able to do pine, which might be better for a master. Either way, once I have that in operation... I shall take over the world! :lol: [evil laugh]

I've even built a 3D scanner, large enough to pull a point-cloud off pretty much an 1/72 model out there...

~Luke

I am actually working on designing/building a 72" x 48" x 10" CNC mill.

Anyway, the mill is designed to be accurate down to 0.001", with a 1HP spindle motor, so milling foam airframes should be a piece of cake. It should even be able to do pine, which might be better for a master. Either way, once I have that in operation... I shall take over the world! :lol: [evil laugh]

I've even built a 3D scanner, large enough to pull a point-cloud off pretty much an 1/72 model out there...

~Luke

Now im thinking theres another build thread that you should start. :)

Sure, once I start building. (What forum though? Maybe I should just etch the Macross logo on one of the rails, to make it Macross-related? :D)

To tide you over, here's a screen-shot of the CAD work:

That's the 'standard' sized (36" long) SV on the table, to give and idea of just how large this thing will be.

~Luke

post-3133-1172938860_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Ah common. You're making me drool on the keyboard. If I had one of those I could take over the world too (Dr. Evil pinky in mouth :p )! My goal is either a CNC table or a laser engraver. The problem is the cost for a good sized table or laser engraver. You'd think they make them out of gold or something

By the way, the VC-33 side view is a direct trace over the lineart. I drew ovewr it to clean it up and make it transparent. I pretty much take a side profile and glue it on to the plastic stock and start cutting around it. - MT

Edited by MechTech

Sure, once I start building. (What forum though? Maybe I should just etch the Macross logo on one of the rails, to make it Macross-related? :D)

As for what forum I think we should just have one for all this sort of stuff. Like a how to and look what Ive made sort of thing. then if others have ideas or the know how they could chime in or build their own.

To tide you over, here's a screen-shot of the CAD work:

That's the 'standard' sized (36" long) SV on the table, to give and idea of just how large this thing will be.

Where can I find out more info on such a thing ?

Edited by big F

Hey guys, i'm not much of a builder/modeler myself, but i did purchase a resin statue from macau a while back and have never displayed it due to the damage the paint got from the shipping. I thought i'd give it a shot if anyone would take on the task and offer their services in trying to get it fixed. If anyone is interested, its a Rurouni Kenshin statue that has already been discontinued, I'll take pics if someone wants to take on the task.

I might also have a Nadesico resin kit (blk aestevalis) that might need building) Lmk if anyone has time or wants to take upon the task. I appreciate the help.

TIA

Kicker773

You mean, just general info? I've got a "HELP!" type thread going on www.cnczone.com, where I'm picking more experienced brains. It starts here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32340 and goes on for several pages, as I refine my design.

~Luke

Thanks for the link OMG theres some reading to be done there.

just a little pondering here, but would something like that work to scale up an existing model? f'rinstance.... taking a 1/72 regult or glaug and bumping it up to 1/48? that'd be great for us folks wanting/needing enemy mecha to beat up!

just a little pondering here, but would something like that work to scale up an existing model? f'rinstance.... taking a 1/72 regult or glaug and bumping it up to 1/48? that'd be great for us folks wanting/needing enemy mecha to beat up!

I supose it depends on the original sculpt. When I started my 1/55 mod/remake I measureed the parts from various scales in cluding Yamies, Bandai, Gashapon and Hasegawa. One thing I did notice is how often they didnt scale right to each other on some parts whilst other parts were perfect. I ended up taking an average of all the measure ments. But If you just wanted a 1/48 version of say a Imai kit then all it would be is a 1/48 imai kit, in the same scale as a 1/48 Yamie, any inacuracies in sculpting would be there as they are in the scale you took it from. But any 1/48 would be better than the current none in my books.

Anybody with a 3-D scanner could scan the parts and mill them out. Expensive and time consuming. While digitized, the parts could be corrected or altered accordingly. I blew my chance to get both for $2000.00 a while back. Yes I kicked my self in the butt, multiple times.

Then there's the old fashioned way. The 1/100 Monster I scratchbuilt built was mostly based on the 1/200 kit. I just doubled the measurements for everything. Especially since I didn't have good line art at the time. It made life a lot easier not having to guess as much. - MT

Anybody with a 3-D scanner could scan the parts and mill them out. Expensive and time consuming. While digitized, the parts could be corrected or altered accordingly. I blew my chance to get both for $2000.00 a while back. Yes I kicked my self in the butt, multiple times.

Then there's the old fashioned way. The 1/100 Monster I scratchbuilt built was mostly based on the 1/200 kit. I just doubled the measurements for everything. Especially since I didn't have good line art at the time. It made life a lot easier not having to guess as much. - MT

i really want some enemy mecha, but but i'd rather keep the $2000 in my pocket. i've never tried my hand at scratch building, but now seems as good a time as any! is there a good site you've found for making custom kits like that? or should i just whip out ye olde trusty dremel tool and a block of wood and start buzzing away? if this is something i get into, i'll gladly post a WIP thread, but i still need to figure out the logistics of it all.

btw, i did finish my paper regult and it looks pretty cool! i ended up gluing the original sheets to a manilla folder, then cutting them out and assembling. i figured the manilla would make it less likely to get mangled. it looks really funny standing next to my 1/48 roy. i'd guess that it's roughly 1/100 scale. actually, if my 1/48 pilot was actually a 1/100 zentraedi soldier, he'd be a fairly close fit.

Edited by rotorhead

That's interesting. Do they work well? A basic CNC desktop unit is about the same price though. - MT

That why everytime somebody brings that up I scratch my head. The most pricy part of the whole thing is the driver board. There are 3D routers and home CNC machine that can be built for under $500 if you're into the do-it-yourself thing.

That why everytime somebody brings that up I scratch my head. The most pricy part of the whole thing is the driver board. There are 3D routers and home CNC machine that can be built for under $500 if you're into the do-it-yourself thing.

O.k I`ll ask before others do.... Where ??