What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Finishing up a 1:48 Mig-15 bis, only to discover the decals fall apart when I dip them in water...

I hate it when that happens. I have some 20+ year old kits from Tamiya the decals will probably do that. Im gonna copy them and use the replicas just in case.

I hate it when that happens. I have some 20+ year old kits from Tamiya the decals will probably do that. Im gonna copy them and use the replicas just in case.

Thing is, the kit's from 1996... So it's only 10 years old. But then again, it was an ebay purchase, so who knows how the last guy stored it... Shouldn't be too hard to find some aftermarket Korean War era North Korean markings though...

Hope the same thing doesn't happen to the F-86... I don't need two naked aircraft...

VF-19, You can try lightly spraying the decal sheet with a couple of clear coats. Then you'll need to carefully trim each one, but you should be able to use the decals.

Good luck!

I've got had the Matchbox/Robotech diecast MkII Monster primered and ready for some detailing for about 20 years now. It's part of my long ( really long ) range plan for wargaming Macross in 1/200 scale. I'm not sure of it's exact scale but it was the closest I could get to a 1/200 monster back in the day. I suppose somebody was probably done a garage kit by now.

I think it's like approx. 1/248 scale...

VF-19, You can try lightly spraying the decal sheet with a couple of clear coats. Then you'll need to carefully trim each one, but you should be able to use the decals.

Good luck!

Clear coat of what though? I've got Model Master Flat and Gloss. And I do have lots of future... What the heck, it's worth the try.

Clear coat of what though? I've got Model Master Flat and Gloss. And I do have lots of future... What the heck, it's worth the try.

Any of those should work. HWR recommends Future so I'd give that a try first. Let us know how it goes.

Close enough I guess. I know there was a 1/144 kit from Arii (IIRC) but Nichimo never did a 1/200 monster. Or Q-Rau or N-Ger. There is a gashpon Q-Rau now but still no 1/200 N-Ger.

You're right, Nichimo didn't do the monster, just all the valks, destroid and regult kits. The Monster model was available in 1/200 scale and 1/160 scale. I can't remeber if ARII produced both, or if it was ARII that did the 1/200 and IMAI did the 1/160.

Righto. I'll give it a try later today. I hope it doesn't gum up the airbrush...

You should be just fine with the future. Many people spray it straight from the bottle. Just have some Windex or another ammonia based window cleaner on hand to clean the airbrush with.

You should be just fine with the future. Many people spray it straight from the bottle. Just have some Windex or another ammonia based window cleaner on hand to clean the airbrush with.

Windex? Perfect, I've got plenty of the stuff. It's great for stripping tamiya paints!

I use it straight from the bottle my air brush is fine with it.

I just soak it in Widolene/windex after. The only bit that gets really gummed up is the defuser in front of the needle. It cleans out o.k and the Furure comes off in one go.

Yes you DO NOT NEED TO THIN FUTURE! I cannot stress this enough. it is water thin from the squeeze bottle. Be sure to let it dry for a day or 2 before you cut the decal out and soak it in water. Water will not break it up once dry but it can soften it if left in too long.

Progress update:

Taped the decal sheet down to a spare bit of cardboard and airbrushed a coat of future over it. That was a few hours ago. It's totally dry to the touch, and I might be able to do some decalling tomorrow... But most likely I'll wait until friday to try it out.

Maybe someone remembers the thread about the Macross bases that are being produced by Model Base Guy.

There's a nice base design I like very much and wanted to do for a few Valks or Macross related kits. E Indigo's base design

I can drop this one from my list of things to do now.

th_SDFBase.jpg th_SDFBase02.jpg

Well, it's time I finish those Hasegawa replacement canopies <_<

Edited by TSP

No?! If it were I would offer it in a separate thread. Sorry, should have written that I'm a selfish person :lol: I will only mill a few bases. At the moment I don't have plans for making a mold out of it.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to think I need to see Venus Wars. Looks great HWR. I've seen that guy's "bike" in action Vermillion. He ate it once at speed and almsost bought the farm! It oscilated bad at higher speeds. I think he fixed it though. - MT