What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Looks really good Kylwell. What type of Ma.K is that ?

It started out in life as a Heinrich suit. Some parts and several applications of Aves later it became the Nihus, an anti suit sniper. Seen here in winter whitewash.

hey HWR MKII where do you keep all those models?? or are they commisioned jobs?

Nope no commissions. All just built for myself. I just moved into a new house with a 400 square foot basement and one wall of it had shelves built into it. So i have plenty of display and expansion space now.

Amazing works guys! HWR MK II your days seem to have at least 48 hours... your model output still amazes me as does the quality of your work.

I am happy that I have (well, almost) completed two models in December/January. One is a Bandai Xabungle Dugger Type in 1/100 that I had on my bench for over a year - once I started again it all went pretty straightforward. The kit is from 1983 but more detailed than one of todays Master Grade kits. I love it and it will definitely build more Xabungles in the future. BTW the kit will be reissued soon!

post-2845-1201085355_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1201085445_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1201085470_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1201085503_thumb.jpg

The other one is a Gunze 1/24 Dorvack Halk Power Suit. Took me about 3 hours to build and another 3 to paint although the optical sensors still need some paint - a fun kit, also of 1983 vintage - only the decals tended to disintegrate.

post-2845-1201085611_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1201085622_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1201085635_thumb.jpg

A Kibou-Gou from Mars Day Break, isn´t it? Never seen the anime but I like the design, especially with the retracted hands.

BTW the Dorvack "MAK."- Armors are all reissued in two-packs as it seems, at least we get the standard versions of the four different types.

What's on my workbench, Special Cloverfield Edition. (I saw Cloverfield over the weekend, and think it's a really worthy addition to the daikaiju genre!)

Anyway for a while I've been working on various Godzilla kits.

This is a Goji'54 sculpted by Yuji Sakai, released by Kaiyodo and molded in glow-in-the dark (!) soft vinyl. I painted him entirely with a brush (Tamiya Acrylics with some oil washes) but finally broke out my airbrush and did some work on his fins. I have a 1/285 scale unpainted metal truck miniature under his foot there :-)

post-6299-1201102399_thumb.jpg post-6299-1201102370_thumb.jpg post-6299-1201102423_thumb.jpg

Edited by ce25254

Looking great guys! I'm having "Kung Fu" type flash backs into the 80's B)) . I'm eyeballing these when they're available: http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS04193 I had the PAC-48 a long time ago.

Honneamise - you're still alive! How'd the massive IJN Yamato come out? Post some pic's!

ce25254 - My children were drooling over the big G'man pictures! About once a week the Japanese monster movie DVD book comes out and they argue over what we're going to see. I really feel sorry for Tokyo getting smashed to pieces all the time :lol:. That reminds me, I gotta get all the Godzilla movies from 2000 onwards for my collection.

electric indigo - I never saw the series. Any special points to the model. I almost bought one on looks alone.

Back to my studies... - MT

What's on my workbench, Special Cloverfield Edition. (I saw Cloverfield over the weekend, and think it's a really worthy addition to the daikaiju genre!)

Anyway for a while I've been working on various Godzilla kits.

This is a Goji'54 sculpted by Yuji Sakai, released by Kaiyodo and molded in glow-in-the dark (!) soft vinyl. I painted him entirely with a brush (Tamiya Acrylics with some oil washes) but finally broke out my airbrush and did some work on his fins. I have a 1/285 scale unpainted metal truck miniature under his foot there :-)

Wow the ´54-G looks great! Sakai is really the best Godzilla sculptor out there. The only one I own is a 1/100 ´54 from Paradise I guess but I am not sure. He watches over our livingroom and occasionally scares little children who are visiting... far too big for a diorama but I really had to buy it! 1/285 is a far better scale with all those vehicles available...

Cloverfield is opening on 31st here in Germany... have to see it! The only image of the monster that I have ever seen is some kind of production sketch... does it really look like a giant whalo-saurus with squid tentacles? Please post pics!!!! I wanna see the beast!!!!

MechTech the Yamato is coming along well considering that it I only build on occasions. Main guns are done, I´ll post some pics later!

Edited by honneamise

Cloverfield ... does it really look like a giant whalo-saurus with squid tentacles? Please post pics!!!! I wanna see the beast!!!!

Cloverfield sticks to the genre tradition of showing the monster only fleetingly until towards the end of the film. (Unlike The Host.) If you really want to see some pictures and drawings it, you could start with this thread on the Unfiction board.

Thanks for the comment about my Godzilla! I first made a Desu-goji ('95) and the one that is really on my workbench is a new one of the GMK Goji from West Kenji. I'll try to snap some pics of that, sometime.

Xabungle... wow, I remember that from my first catalog of anime kits, but I never followed up. I'll have to try to watch the series! Your kits look great.

Edited by ce25254

And here is my WIP GMK Godzilla. It's a mean pose released last year by West Kenji in vinyl. I chopped off the feet, turned them out a bit, and weighted him so that he is leaning forward with his tail in the air. (Weighting put in the feet and in the head.) Thanks to Aves Sculpt the feet joints look good as new. (Other than the mouth, he has just been given a base coat of flat black.)

post-6299-1201282338_thumb.jpgpost-6299-1201282433_thumb.jpg

Edited by ce25254

Lookin' great everyone! I took a break from the Daedalus (for sanity reasons B)) ) and I'm working on something fun and easy.

I'm working on two Leopards - sorta. Here's the VS Tanks Leopard 2 A5. I wanted the A6, but was told it's not currently available, so...post-2518-1201378327_thumb.jpg post-2518-1201378352_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1201378380_thumb.jpg A little aluminum work from an old Airsoft barrel. The children and I had fun putting holes in paper "testing it out." The individual track links are great; too slippery on tiles though ^_^ . Paint's next.

The children and I are working on just snapping together a Gundam Leopard. post-2518-1201378764_thumb.jpgCount the tabs and seams, because we're not cleaning them up! They're having fun building it though, and more importantly, I have family members to help "enable me" in my habit, err a hobby.

I'm waiting on a 1/20 Scope Dog Red Shoulder mod from HLJ. That will be my next fun project. - MT

Edited by MechTech

Thanks! I forgot mention I have to add the sensor and a coupler to the thermal jacket (convienant way to hide the seem).

I can't wait for the Scopedog. I never got into Votoms much or bought the series, but they are a more probable design. - MT

Holy crap Kylewell!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so incredibly @#&%$^!!!!!!!!! badass! Seriously, that is the best build I've seen in a while (not to dog anyone else). You gotta share some tips, especially your painting/detailing.

??? Never heard of that before, hows it work?

Oddly, I saw it on a Ma.K. site, the guy had used it on wreckage behind a couple of space-types. Anyway, you prime up as normal, and apply your 'undercoat' - usually dark grey to represent primer. Then you spray it with a water based hairspray (tresemme I think was what he used). Then you paint over that as normal. Cos the hairspray's water based you can clean it off (and the paint on top of it) with a damp, stiff paintbrush, scuffing it up to get a nice chipped look.

The armor is looking great and the hairspray idea sounds good. HMmmm, wonder what brand my wife uses... B)) . - MT

Wife walks into bathroom to do up her hair, presses hairspray nozzle and: Pfhhhh -- nothing but a wimpy dry heave, and she thinks "I could've sworn this can was half full yesterday!!??..."

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from basing, I just finished this little guy (included with the quick write-up I did for posting it other places):

Hi all!

Let me start by saying that this is the first mini I have painted in a LOOOONG time... I've been off in the scale model world knocking out resin mecha kits and 35th scale tanks, but this weekend was the first free I've had in a while at college, so I decided to tackle a small project I brought with me. This little guy is a Union soldier from the now-defunct Vor The Maelstrom... it's a one-piece mini with a decent sculpt, that while not amazing, was alot of fun to paint. It's just a standard grunt fig, and IMO it's a much nicer looking line-trooper than say, Games Workshop Inperial Guardsmen... it's got a nice gritty utilitarian feel with lots of packs and pouches. I got a bunch of these guys along with two Ares power suits for cheap at my LGS ages ago, and I think as a side project for fun I'll finish the group in this scheme, with markings and such once the whole group is done.

The paint scheme and color palette is inspired by modern USMC outfits, minus the digi-camo obviously. Lots of different tans and buffs and beiges, along with different varieties of khakis and field-green... Technique-wise, I tried something radically different here... I used no inks. In the past, I've been semi-decent and shading and highlighting with no blending, but I would still always end up using inks to cheat at the end for more shading and flattening, and am never really satisfied with the results. So, for this mini I used an initial light wash over the primer coat to see details, and then went from there with actual layered highlights and shadows (with one initial light paint-wash over the base-colors for guidance). I still cannot blend, but I did alot of layering, and while the pictures (not from a great camera or the right lens) aren't very flattering, I think the figure looks good in person, but I'd like to here some comments.

PROMETHEUM5-VorUnion1.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-VorUnion2.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-VorUnion3.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-VorUnion4.jpg

PROMETHEUM5-VorUnion5.jpg