What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

Hate to double post, but I've got super awesome progress on my 'Hawk... HWR still managed to beat me in the end, but I love working on this kit...

Here's a teaser WIP shot... all that's left is mostly dry pigment stuff... scorching and barrel blackening, and to dirty up the feet... gonna treat the underside like a tank tread (lots of earth colored stippling and some mettalics.)

post-2015-1171772293_thumb.jpg

its easy. Get a good reference like heavily used construction equipment or military vehicles. Study how the chips are and the types of edges they form on.

Next get a 000 or smaller sized brush. Dip it in dark grey or a gunmetal metallic type paint. Keep a good point on the brush and lightly dab it on the model. Be sure to concentrate on edges and high wear areas. Also try to put a few chips on the flat areas of some panels to add a little variety.

It is literally that simple. Mo masking or actual chipping on the model is needed its all paint.

HWR's got it...I was really impressed with how easy it was once I got it figured out.... I mixed up a dark grey with a touch of brown in it... and used a superfine brush to put it on. It was funny, because I would met my hand shake a little around the edges to amke the chips more random and natural, but had to take alot of breaks cuz my hand would go numb...

Just remember, Smaller scale=smaller chips.

And remember, past a certain small scale point (usually after 1/72 i think) it equals no chips bc/ they would be unrealistic in scale...

JFGuard, don't you just love those old Dougram kits? That one big chunk in the thigh of yours is a bit much, but the rest of the battle damage looks awesome! Can't wait to see your Tomahawk painted... the dulloat after finishing mine is drying right now, all that's left is the light lenses...

Looking awesome as always guys! My phone line is supposed to be down, but I'm here and talked to my whole family this weekend!? I can't wait to see what happens when they "fix" my line!? My workbench is on my workbench; pictures later. I jave a smaller work area so my wife was nice neough tolet me get more shelving units/workbench area. Now the Daedalus has a table that the whole thin can sit on - at one time. Keep it up the great work guys. By the way, the cool part about 1/200 scale - no paint chips!!! - MT

The paint chips were added using a 000 or smaller size brush and just dabbing on the dark grey paint. Really easy to do.

Next ill be finishing up this monstrosity.

Nice LV + Booster man, I think that makes your only the 3rd one I have ever seen worked on, let alone finished. You just don't see them out there, even WM Cheng hasn't posted finished pics yet.

OK, it's not as cool as chipping, but the parts were on my workbench (for a few minutes). I used to have a nice sized closet nearly all to my model collecting self. The dozen or so large plastic boxes are in my bedroom closet, and this is what's left that needed a home. My wife was loving enough to show me these shelving units, and get this, even set them up right next to her gorgeous kitchen! Is that love or what!? I can actually work on the Daedalus now in one piece! Here's some photos. Back to work on the Daedalus now! Moving and work related studies are over!!! - MT

[attachmentid=40623] All my power tools sit on the side giving me more workbench area.

[attachmentid=40624] A new "drydock" for the Daedalus. Buy used ammo cans. They keep your models and paints safe for a long time!

post-2518-1172092296_thumb.jpg

post-2518-1172092319_thumb.jpg

Edited by MechTech

OK, it's not as cool as chipping, but the parts were on my workbench (for a few minutes). I used to have a nice sized closet nearly all to my model collecting self. The dozen or so large plastic boxes are in my bedroom closet, and this is what's left that needed a home. My wife was loving enough to show me these shelving units, and get this, even set them up right next to her gorgeous kitchen! Is that love or what!? I can actually work on the Daedalus now in one piece! Here's some photos. Back to work on the Daedalus now! Moving and work related studies are over!!! - MT

[attachmentid=40623] All my power tools sit on the side giving me more workbench area.

[attachmentid=40624] A new "drydock" for the Daedalus. Buy used ammo cans. They keep your models and paints safe for a long time!

Sweet workspace, are you in an apartment?

Hey Grayson, we're actually in a house. My big work area just got smaller. Plus the PC is in here too now! I can work and the wife can surf! I DO have to add some lighting in here though, those pictures were taken at the highest exposure.

Nice work robodragon. The only thing I would reccomend is a wash or panel lines. She's got that "too clean" look. That's just my two cents worth. Everytime I see the VF-0 RA kit somewhere, I just gotta buy one. Then I realize I don't have many 1/72 kits anymore! - MT

Like what I see guys.

Currently on my workbench/to do list is in no particular order.

1 Tamiya 1/24 Nissan 300ZX for my father as a miniture of his real one (WIP)

1 Tamiya 1/24 Calsonic Skyline

1 Bandai 1/100 VF1 Max WIP

1 Hasegawa VF-1 S Strike

1 Hasegawa VF-1 SuperMax

1 Hasegawa VF-1 S Hikaru

1 Hasegawa Vf-1 Generic ( to make a Kakizaki)

1 Hasegawa Vf-1a Plane to use in a Gerwalk

1 hasegawa Vf-1a Battroid (to use in a Gerwalk)

Thats Skull Squadron nailed.

1 Arii mint in box Vf-1J GBP not sure Im gonna ever make this one kinda hoping Hasegawa will fill the gap there.

3 Wave Vf17 kits one of every revision (always looking for the last one)

1 Wave Vf19 Blazer kit

1 Wave Vf19 Basara Firevalk

1 Hasegawa weapons set

1 Hasegawa stand set

At least one of all the Ari 1/6 macross figures except Hikaru.

Several SD Bandai etc Valk kits

1/6 scale Kryton just needs his head finishing.

Several 1/55 to paint Strikes Super O and GBP

Several Binaltech TF`s to pannelline etc

My Starscream custom to finish

J Moscato Phalanx

J Moscato Tommahawk

1 1/5 Masterchief to scratch and dirty up

But most importantly my current WIP my custom Chunkie

As you can see my list is a bit long but Im making a start. My thinking is they`ll keep and I can get em done eventually Gotta do the ZX and my chunkie first though.

Edited by big F

1 Arii mint in box Vf-1J GBP not sure Im gonna ever make this one kinda hoping Hasegawa will fill the gap there.

Hey you could always do a kit bash like I did with a Hasegawa Battroid.

Ok guys and gals. I just bought another VF-0A 1/60 to custom into a VF-0D. I think I got the tail fins figured out playing around with the VF-0A I have now but what I don't know yet how to do is make the new wings and the stabilizing wings on the intakes. I figure I will have to use some type of resin cast but I have not done anything like this yet.

I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks

Hey you could always do a kit bash like I did with a Hasegawa Battroid.

Yeah I had though that but as its kinda getting hard to come by I`d be worried that I would mess it up some where and not be able to replace the parts. At least with the Wave stuff its easy to cast your own as that is essentially what Wave did in the First place.

That said I have a plan that involves the Vf-17, a bucket of plastacine, some molding supplies and my wave kits. But that cant happen until the summer for warmer weather and lighter evenings, oh and my finishing the Chunkie and the ZX.

Edited by big F

Dropship is having issues so i decided to shelve it for now. BUT i brought this back out and can see the light at the end of the scratchbuilding tunnel. The Octo Tank from Venus Wars. Its about 80% complete needing the left and rear sides completed abd fine details. But it is almost there.

post-2293-1172432331_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1172432376_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1172432407_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1172432443_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1172432461_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1172432485_thumb.jpg

Keep it up Neptunesurvey. The ghost (and babies) look good.

HWR, the Octo tank looks good too. I think that was one of those designs heavily influenced by Sake :blink: ! - MT

HWR, what's wrong with the Dropship?

Is that tank thing totally scratchbuilt? It's really impressive, but why'd you decide to build a tank that looks like a big snot? :lol:

It is a scratchbuild P5. But it doesnt look like snot. Watch Venus Wars to see what it can do.