What's lying on your workbench? MKII

TSP

the local comic shop got in a huge box of the 1/100 ARII 15th aniversary kits. only the fighers were worth the powder it would take to blow them up so i grabed one. its sence been shelved and now i f inaly got the money for the paint and such like. sadly i forgot to grab the red paint and clear coat i'll be needing -_-

IPB Image

Edited by skull_leader_v1

I shelved the M.C. 202 for now, as my airbrushing skills are rather lacking to do the fine paintwork needed on the camo. I picked up a Revell/Zveda (sp?) T-72 with reactive armour. Needless to say, those little bricks are a total pain in the butt (and very time consuming). Looks pretty neat so far. It's an older kit (duh), so it'll be built with all hatches closed.

Nice Falke. I never saw/read the series but accidentally came across the build up, borrowed P-38 booms and all! Nice detailing too Kylwell! - MT

Thanks. I've got to hit the local train store for more Grantline bolts.

I'm still considering(since 2 days) which wing type to attach on the Lightning. I made 4 differant type of wings. Type C can also be used in forward swept position(my favorite...at the moment)what would make it look like the ADF-01Falken or FFR-41/FRX-00Mave. For A & B type I have to change the flaps in the middle section or else it just look a low-budget SR-71 clone. <_< . Any suggestions?

post-1730-1168557033_thumb.jpg

I'm still considering(since 2 days) which wing type to attach on the Lightning. I made 4 differant type of wings. Type C can also be used in forward swept position(my favorite...at the moment)what would make it look like the ADF-01Falken or FFR-41/FRX-00Mave. For A & B type I have to change the flaps in the middle section or else it just look a low-budget SR-71 clone. <_< . Any suggestions?

Hey, that looks pretty cool! Are those VF-11 tailfins?

Also, don't rule out the posibility of making your own wings from scratch. It'd just take some sheet styrene and some sanding and scribing.

OOoooh noo! Keep it canon I'd say. I'm just a perfectionist, so ignore me :p . - MT

I'll try to reconsider that........mmmh. No way! :D

Hey, that looks pretty cool! Are those VF-11 tailfins?

Nope, not from ThunderboldIII. Those were left over from a Flanker kitbash few years ago.

Also, don't rule out the posibility of making your own wings from scratch. It'd just take some sheet styrene and some sanding and scribing.

That would be the alternative. I still can't get a clear picture of the right wing form. Same also on the Gunpod design which now looks like the hybrid of GU-15 and the one for the VF-1AR/JR/SR. I'll make some pics of it as soon I glued the parts together.

By the way. How is your VF-1SR going? Any progress? :p

By the way. How is your VF-1SR going? Any progress? :p

Man, I haven't thought about that thing in a while...

Sadly, it's sitting in a drawer along with the Macross Plus missile drone. I still have every intention of finishing both projects, but I have no idea when. But the 1/72 ground equipment will be finished before them. The tow tractor is pretty much done, except for the driver figure (a huge pain in my ass), and the tow bar.

But I think pretty much everything is going to be on hold for a couple weeks soon, cause I'm probably going to be doing some contract casting work for Starship Modeler :)

RARE shot of one of the Thunderbirds, glad I'm not painting it; my compressor's not strong enough :p .

The model from Buck Rogers is bringing me flashbacks. Is that Abba I hear playing in the backround :D ? - MT

Working on the 1/32 scale A-10 N/AW from trumpeter. Also picked up the new DML P-51D. It is packed with detail and only has 2 faults. FAULT 1= The kit comes with FULL gun bays in both wings, BUT BOTH WINGS ACCESS COVERS ARE MOLDED CLOSED! This is small since on the underside of the wing you can see where the area for the access covers is thinner to allow you to cut them over. FAULT 2= Although you CAN cut these covers open THERE IS NO PROVIDED DETAIL FOR THE COVERS THEMSELVES. No PE parts or anything to replicate the detailing on the insides of these covers. The kit is good and will allow some really nice detailing possibilities. Im just a little disappointed in DML, after their new 1/35 tank kits that are PACKED with all the little details you can think of. this just seems like a smack to the face. You would think if they knew they were putting a full gunbay in each wing they would have made the covers as seperate pieces and detailed on both sides. This reminds me of something TRUMPETER would do.

Trumpeter is well known for ALL the gimmicks that this kit has. Clear engine cover panels. Full detailed parts that get hidden once the kit is completed, and many other little things.

The kit also has a weird texture to the skin of the acft which looks like it will make it very difficult to get a good polished aliminum shine out of it.

Heres some pics of the gunbay parts i have already cut open and the instructions for the steps involved. NOWHERE does it say or even point out that the gunbays can be cut open. Again this is very unexpected from DML. I wouldnt be suprised if this were actually a project that trumpeter dropped.

post-2293-1168831102_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831112_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831122_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831133_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831152_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831164_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831180_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1168831198_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

We just need some good scale pics now that it's complete.... looks amazing tho, and I'm sure it will be even better once tou get your hands on it. Are you planning on painting the tracks at all tho? It looks odd right now with the basecoat for the NATO camo on but obvious clean metal tracks...

HWR MKII Looks like you only deal with the bigger (HUGH!) toys and models. Which bank are you and your fake 1/6 german friends attemptimg to pay a visit ? I want to join. :lol::D:):p

This is how the Wolfpack CAG will look like.

post-1730-1168996443_thumb.jpg

post-1730-1168996454_thumb.jpg

Cool looking variant TSP. What kind of ordinance will it have? Those wings would look cool with wingtip missiles. Whatever you do it looks mean.

U.N.SPACY Megaroad . I don't remember reading anything about the Jolly Rogers being the only squadron joining the Megaroad 1. Either no one knows if the VF-1 Wolfpack Squadron could have joined an other Fleet as well. The VF-1 were one of the first squads recieving the F-14A and flying it in combat zones. So why not the first traveling into deep space. I hope Big West don't change it with upcoming shows or graphic novels.

We just need some good scale pics now that it's complete.... looks amazing tho, and I'm sure it will be even better once tou get your hands on it. Are you planning on painting the tracks at all tho? It looks odd right now with the basecoat for the NATO camo on but obvious clean metal tracks...

The tracks wont be clean for long after i get it. If anything i may get some blueing fluid like what gunsmiths use and treat the ends to get them looking more like the real thing. BUT this all depends on if dirt sticks to them like it does on the real thing.

HWR MKII Looks like you only deal with the bigger (HUGH!) toys and models. Which bank are you and your fake 1/6 german friends attemptimg to pay a visit ? I want to join. :lol::D:):p

This is how the Wolfpack CAG will look like.

Nice little VF you have there. I dont prefer to work on the large scale stuff all the time but it does make room for more variety and detail. Also if i can get the pics right i can play a game of "real or model"

Working on the 1/32 scale A-10 N/AW from trumpeter. Also picked up the new DML P-51D. It is packed with detail and only has 2 faults. FAULT 1= The kit comes with FULL gun bays in both wings, BUT BOTH WINGS ACCESS COVERS ARE MOLDED CLOSED! This is small since on the underside of the wing you can see where the area for the access covers is thinner to allow you to cut them over. FAULT 2= Although you CAN cut these covers open THERE IS NO PROVIDED DETAIL FOR THE COVERS THEMSELVES. No PE parts or anything to replicate the detailing on the insides of these covers. The kit is good and will allow some really nice detailing possibilities. Im just a little disappointed in DML, after their new 1/35 tank kits that are PACKED with all the little details you can think of. this just seems like a smack to the face. You would think if they knew they were putting a full gunbay in each wing they would have made the covers as seperate pieces and detailed on both sides. This reminds me of something TRUMPETER would do.

Trumpeter is well known for ALL the gimmicks that this kit has. Clear engine cover panels. Full detailed parts that get hidden once the kit is completed, and many other little things.

The kit also has a weird texture to the skin of the acft which looks like it will make it very difficult to get a good polished aliminum shine out of it.

Heres some pics of the gunbay parts i have already cut open and the instructions for the steps involved. NOWHERE does it say or even point out that the gunbays can be cut open. Again this is very unexpected from DML. I wouldnt be suprised if this were actually a project that trumpeter dropped.

Some manufactureres seem a little clueless these days... I´ve heard that the DML Mustang has some issues. That gun cover thing seems to be not worked out properly. Moreover, people complain about the "skin texture" with too deep and wide trenches and overdone riveting that does not look like the real thing. But it looks like a Mustang to me and that is more than can be said about some (not all) Trumpeter kits - I have the feeling they either copy other kits to get the proportions right or they try to skip research and get it all wrong (Wildcat, 1/24 Mustang, many of their ships etc.). Then they add thousands of panel lines and little parts to hide the fact that the main parts are all wrong... I´ll stick to Tamigawa kits for now!

HWR, you're gonna be real pissed about that Mustang kit from DML in a second... according to all my real smart modeling sources, a whole ton of that Mustang kit is inaccurate.... all the rivets on the wing should be smooth (they were puttied over apparently on the lamelar wings) and there's some wonky issues with the cockpit, especially with the seat I believe.... it's like DML wanted to make a totally sweet kit but forgot to look at an actual aircraft...

Im not concerned about rivet patterns or line depth. More about the sharkskin texture on the plastic and the unopened gun bays. I have the kit. Overall it is quite good. Dragon/DML hasnt done aircraft in a while so it is actually understandable that there are issues.

Good news is that with some 800 and 1000 grit sand paper you can eliminate the texture and this in turn also lightens the depth of the lines.