Who would you go out on a date with?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you go out on a date with?

• Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon (Miyuu Sawai)
    • Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury (Chisaki Hama)
    • Rei Hino/Sailor Mars (Keiko Kitagawa)
    • Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter (Myuu Azama)
    • Minako Aino/Sailor Venus (Ayaka Komatsu)
    • Queen Beryl (Aya Sugimoto)
    • Naru Osaka (Chieko Kawabe)
    • Ikuko Tsukino (Kaori Moriwaka)
    • Hina Kusaka (Moeco Matsushita)
    • Mio Kuroki (Alisa)

sailormoon.jpg
Bishojo Senshi Sailor Moon ( 美少女戦士セーラームーン )
CBC/CAZBE/Dentsu/TBS/Toei Co. Ltd/Bandai Visual, 2003-2004
As if this will ever see a U.S. release...
Directed by Ryuta Tazaki (Kamen Rider 555)
Based on the bestselling manga by Naoko Takeuchi
Running Time: 25 minutes per episode
Not Rated (Suggested TV-PG). Contains some violence and mild language.

Cast
Miyuu Sawai wub.gif as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon/Princess Serenity
Rika Izumi (formerly Chisaki Hama) wub.gif as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Keiko Kitagawa wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
Mew Azama wub.gif as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
Ayaka Komatsu wub.gif as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus/Sailor V
Jouji Shibue as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Kamen/Prince Endymion
Keiko Han (Lalah in Mobile Suit Gundam) as Luna (reprising her original anime role)
Rina Koike as Sailor Luna
Kappei Yamaguchi (Ranma 1/2, Inu-Yasha) as Artemis
Aya Sugimoto wub.gif as Queen Beryl
Hiroyuki Matsumoto as Nephrite
Jun Masuo as Jadeite
Yoshito Endou as Zoicite
Akira Kubodera as Kunzite
Chieko Kawabe as Naru Osaka
Masaya Kikawada as Motoki Furuhata
Kaori Moriwaka wub.gif as Ikuko Tsukino
Naoki Takeshi as Shingo Tsukino
Moeco Matsushita wub.gif as Hina Kusaka
Alisa Yuriko Durbrow wacko.gif as Mio Kuroki

"Moon Prism Power...Make-Up!"

Synopsis
Middle school student Usagi Tsukino is having her typical late run for school when a plush cat doll named Luna falls out of the sky and lands on her face. That night, she is revisited by Luna, who tells her that she is one of the Sailor Guardians. Using her special makeup, Usagi transforms herself into Sailor Moon, champion of love and justice. With the aid of her new friends Ami Mizuno (Sailor Mercury), Rei Hino (Sailor Mars) and Makoto Kino (Sailor Jupiter), along with idol singer/vigilante-at-night Minako Aino (Sailor Venus, a.k.a. Sailor V) and the mysterious masked man known as Tuxedo Kamen, Sailor Moon strives to find the Moon Princess and the Mystical Silver Crystal, and protect them from Queen Beryl and the Dark Kingdom.

Lowdown
In a time where anime fans fear the possibility of their favorite titles going live-action, this comes to a surprise. I expected this live-action adaptation of the popular Sailor Moon manga and anime series to bomb big-time, but I was wrong. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon features some of the most kawaii actresses in Japanese TV today, and they do a very impressive job with their roles.

The special effects are mostly computer-generated. Since the production team opted to make Luna a plush doll instead of a real cat, it's a lot easier for the CG animators to render her. Sure, the movements may look a bit cheesy, but it's better than the stuffed animal pretending to be a real cat in Sabrina the Teen Witch. The senshi transformation sequences are pretty average - minimal camera work and a lot of CG effects.

Despite not having the official anthem "Moonlight Densetsu," the new series has an equally catchy theme in the form of "Kirari Sailor Dream," written by creator Naoko Takeuchi and performed by Sae. The BGM is standard J-Pop/orchestra that's equal to the anime's soundtrack.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the franchise's transition from manga to anime to live-action. I definitely will be following this series on a regular basis.

Rating: B+

Special thanks to #TV-Nihon for making this review possible.

Links
Toei's Official Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Homepage (Japanese)
CBC's Official Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Homepage (Japanese)

Reference
Anime News Network
Wikipedia Edited by areaseven

I watched that fansub last night. I thought the episode itself was god awful, but the sub was awesome cause it didn't take itself too seriously. There's lots of jokes scattered all over in the subtitles... especially in the comercials :lol:

Were can I obtain this said fansub at?

i was always under the impression that sailor moon was a white girl. i don't think i've ever seen a japanise girl with natural blond hair.

Heh heh. I've never seen one with natural blue/green/pink/whatever hair either, but it never seems to have stopped them before. Funny how you never saw Max or Millia with dark roots. They must go through hair dye like there's no tomorrow. L'Oreal pink? :huh:

i was always under the impression that sailor moon was a white girl.  i don't think i've ever seen a japanise girl with natural blond hair.

Heh heh. I've never seen one with natural blue/green/pink/whatever hair either, but it never seems to have stopped them before. Funny how you never saw Max or Millia with dark roots. They must go through hair dye like there's no tomorrow. L'Oreal pink? :huh:

seriously though, do the japanise animators intend their characters to be japanise with actual blond hair? are they supposed to be white or something? is it supposed to be died/wig or what not?

is it just strait up artistic licence? seems kind of odd to creat actual japanise characters with so many white or non japanise traits and still think of it as a racially japanise person.

hows this work?

**edit**

i pick on the blond ones in paticular because there are so many blond yet apparently still japanise characters in anime. both the blond sailors moon and venus? excel in excel saga. the girl in appleseed, and a bunch of others i can't name...

Edited by KingNor

seriously though, do the japanise animators intend their characters to be japanise with actual blond hair?  are they supposed to be white or something?  is it supposed to be died/wig or what not?

is it just strait up artistic licence?  seems kind of odd to creat actual japanise characters with so many white or non japanise traits and still think of it as a racially japanise person.

hows this work?

hmmm...there is a lot of historical influence involved. Anyway, I found the following explanation from Ask John at Animenation. However, the Anime18 explanation on the La Blue Girl DVD is better IMHO. B)

for the simple fact.........IT'S ANIME!!!!!!!!!!! geeeeeeeeezzzzzeeee >< It's just freaking anime, a cartoon show, and even the live action shows are based around that, they just wanna make their characters as close as possible to the originals. Who CARES really if that dude has blue hair, or green hair, or if a chic with a japanese name and background has blonde 0_o she could of died it! I've seen asian women die their hair blonde, and it don't look that bad either!

*runs around ripping hair out of his head* AHHHHH!!!!!!!

I watched it this morning after downloading a new codec, ^^ the commericals were subbed very funny like I actually enjoyed it alot. Can't wait to see the next episodes...

Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty Evil kitty EAT THE EVIL KITTY MIND CONTROL CANDY!

I just finished downloading the TV-Nihon version of episode 1. Unlike the "29 Groups" fansub, the TV-Nihon version refrains from using words like "underage" or "tentacle." They also cut the commercials because obviously, it's not necessary to translate them. As a matter of fact, it's a waste of time.

Meanwhile, the "29 Groups" have just released their fansub of episode 2. Though the commercials are gone, the insults stay on.

Example 1: After Opening Credits

"This program was brought to you by Bandai, so that they can sell little Sailor Moon figures to stupid kids and make lots and lots of money."

Example 2: Inside the Secret Karaoke Room

Luna: "Usagi-chan, we're not here to play."

Usagi: "I know, but I'm too blonde to understand stuff like that."

Example 3: Usagi and Ami Hanging on for Their Dear Lives

Ami: "I want to yuri you up, Tsukino."

Example 4: Tuxedo Kamen Looking On

Tuxedo Kamen: "Sailor Moon...Sailor Mercury..."

(Caption: This is a horrible release. It will scar so many kids who take their live action seriously.)

For now, I'm downloading both TV-Nihon and "## Groups" fansubs to compare notes. BTW, what did you guys think of episode 2?

this was the most horrible thing i have ever downloaded and watched.

i must get more.

like a train wreck i am compelled to see more eps of this live drama. and with all due respect the 29 groups version is awesome. the insults and gags in translation is part of the fun :) the commercials were the funniest part of the show.

It's absolutely cheesy crap so far. Yet kind of alluring just so you can laugh at how bad it is, MST3K style. :lol:

It's about exactly what could be expected ripping Sailor Moon into a Live-action show.

Move your mouse over each photo to see their plain self.

Weird....they look so good out of costume, but terrible once they're in character. :blink:

totally agree. sailor mars looks quite good out of custume (and presumeably out of clothes too :p )

I would have to agree there.

I just watched it like 10 minutes ago....I thought it was really lacking compared to the first episode, and I'm getting a bit sick of these day time battles, I want to see some nighttime ones just like in the anime.

I don't like the subs though, it's cute and all from time to time to add a lil joke here and there, but personally it ruins my experince...I take my stuff rather seriously personally, it makes it better.

The episode was kind of lame though, you can easily tell when Usagi and Ami are dangling from the ledge they really weren't at times...just by the angle Ami was in and how blurry the ground looked during a midair shot.

Another problem I had was Tuxedo Kamen didn't have really any part in the episode at all, which was a bit sad.

Ami's story was just stupid...I thought her acting was pretty cheesy too, felt like she could just laugh and die on how bad she looks....but hey where's episode 3? lol