YF-21 FP

MacBoy29

Just got the YF-21 FP and frick, transforming it is a pain in the arse :angry:

In battroid mode the back part (or back-pack) won't just stay up properly, also

the hips that have to be pushed up, sometimes keeps falling down.

...unless i'm just messing up big time....

Oy! anyone have some tips, word of caution or a website that could help

me.

Thanks everyone

I don't have to many tips seeing as how I traded my 1/72 YF-21 FP for two 1/60's (Super n Strike).

Yamato could have done better securing the backpack (in Battroid Mode). Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there four little knobs that connect backpack to the frame?

From what I remember they were REALLY flimsy and made the backpack collapse too often. I'd suggest a little dab of Elmer's Glue............ :)

My favorite mode is box mode.

:lol::lol::lol:

Makes me wish the 19a and original 21 were packaged in fighter mode :unsure: ... That would definately be ideal in my world. Do the original's fit in the FP boxes? :rolleyes:

The -21 FP is a huge pain to transform...

I have the biggest problem getting the legs in and out. I can't really think of how I did it when I think about it. I remember struggling with the legs, and then they would just pop in or pop out and I would scratch my head and wonder how in the hell I just did that! :lol:

Also, does anyone know an easy way to get the gun pods out of the armor? One of mine is REALLY tight, and actually I got it out once, put it back in, and now it's stuck again. :angry:

As for the backpack. You have to just transform the whole thing to battroid, and then secure the back pack to the small pins on the back of the fuselage. If you try to secure it first, it just falls away when you are messing with the rest.

And I still really haven't figured out how the legs are supposed to snap in in battroid. I think I got it right though. There is a clip that they are supposed to snap into. But then when I tried to get them out to go back to fighter, it was pretty tight, and I was affraid I was going to break the clip.

Graham: Do you think you might have time to do one of your video transformation seminars for the -21 FP?? That would be really cool.

Hmm oddly enough I've never had ANY transformation problems with the YF-21FP. Not the ones here or the ones Graham had in his review. Well Gerwalk is awkward but I dont like Gerwalk much in the M-Plus valks (and it's my fav mode for the VF-1). Easier than 1/60 VF-1 IMO.

Backpack. Make sure it's secure. Then use the back latch thing that the leg covers attach to... bring it down over the other part of the back, and the pegs act as a sort of "locking mechanism." Hopefully that makes sense.

Legs? "Snap" in battroid? AFAIK they just hang there. Unless u mean the back clip to the front of the torso? :blink: To get them IN the fuselage for fighter, (open then covers of course): 1st make sure they're turned around the right way. Basically should be turned 180 degrees from the direction they would be to be facing "front" while in battroid mode. 2nd. Bend the knee so its one or two "clicks" bent with knee forward (so "calf area" clicked back). 3rd, put the long end of the feet in first and then straighten the leg out. It should be inside the rear of the fuselage. Lower the covers. Voila.

HTH

Legs? "Snap" in battroid? AFAIK they just hang there. Unless u mean the back clip to the front of the torso?

:blink: To get them IN the fuselage for fighter, (open then covers of course): 1st make sure they're turned around the right way. Basically should be turned 180 degrees from the direction they would be to be facing "front" while in battroid mode. 2nd. Bend the knee so its one or two "clicks" bent with knee forward (so "calf area" clicked back). 3rd, put the long end of the feet in first and then straighten the leg out. It should be inside the rear of the fuselage. Lower the covers. Voila.

HTH

That is what I meant. the back clip to the front of the torso... I've only transformed it once, so I really didn't remember correctly.

Ah.... The tip for the legs here is helpful. thanks! :) I really couldn't make that out from the instruction booklet... I wish I could read Japanese. :lol:

what about the gun pods though... Is there a trick to getting them out of the armor??

what about the gun pods though... Is there a trick to getting them out of the armor??

Um... It's pretty simple. They only go in and out from the "open side" of the Fast Pack, though. To push out? Start at the barrel end. Closer to the end, but for the sake of simplicity I'll say on the very tip. Just push it straight, as hard as u need to. On mine there is no resistance at all beyond the "click" it needs. Then the back just falls out. To put in, makse sure u put the back/stock end in first and then push it in till it "clicks."

Just FTR, the gunpod should be collapsed. Um and "edge" end out. Dont wanna insult your intelligence or anything but just making sure. I really don't see how this is an issue unless u have some sort of defect or something...

Yeah, I know I sound pretty stupid, but on mine it just seems like maybe my gunpod don't collapse all the way. I'm a really mechanical person, and don't ever have any problems figuring stuff like this out on my own. So basically I'm wondering if anyone elses gunpods sit in the armor really tight like mine apparently do.

Maybe I should try expanding the hole in the armor just a bit? I think that would be better than trying to file down the tip of the gun pod.

I also had to take one of the gunpods apart because there was some extra glue seepage when the gun was put together that prevented me from extending it. This has been fixed though. I think mine just has a few minor issues.

Thanks for not insulting my intelligence... :lol:

i own both the 21 and have noticed it can be annoying to transform. i never have problems going from fighter to gerwalk/battroid just changing back to fighter as it always takes a couple of attempts to get everything to interlock correctly eg. the air intakes and head cowling

I just bought the YF-21 with FAST packs today at Frank & Sons. I have a couple questions as well.

1. In Battloid mode, do the legs lock in a anyway? I'm not talking about the lower leg coming out of the upper leg. I'm referring to the slider thingy that that legs and joints are attached to. I noticed that whenever I try to pick it up the legs slide down and when I set it back on the ground it slides back up again. I hope you understand which slider thingy I'm talking about.

2. The gunpods handles are stuck (I think). How do you get the handle to flip open?

3. In Gerwalk mode, the leg covers (where the FAST pack attaches to) always gets in the way. I don't know if I'm transforming it wrong, but what's the best way to place the leg cover in Gerwalk mode?

I just bought the YF-21 with FAST packs today at Frank & Sons. I have a couple questions as well.

1. In Battloid mode, do the legs lock in a anyway? I'm not talking about the lower leg coming out of the upper leg. I'm referring to the slider thingy that that legs and joints are attached to. I noticed that whenever I try to pick it up the legs slide down and when I set it back on the ground it slides back up again. I hope you understand which slider thingy I'm talking about.

2. The gunpods handles are stuck (I think). How do you get the handle to flip open?

3. In Gerwalk mode, the leg covers (where the FAST pack attaches to) always gets in the way. I don't know if I'm transforming it wrong, but what's the best way to place the leg cover in Gerwalk mode?

1: You need to pull the hips down until you hear a click. That means the hips are locked and won't push back up unless you provide sufficient upward pressure to the hip slider

2: You just need to be persistant. You may need something narrow like a nail file to push it down but getting your fingernail in the gap between the gun and the folded handle should work

3: The covers need to be up close to be the body and rotated so they are at the side of the leg eg:

yf21_gerwalk4.JPG

I hope that helps :)

1: You need to pull the hips down until you hear a click. That means the hips are locked and won't push back up unless you provide sufficient upward pressure to the hip slider

2: You just need to be persistant. You may need something narrow like a nail file to push it down but getting your fingernail in the gap between the gun and the folded handle should work

3: The covers need to be up close to be the body and rotated so they are at the side of the leg eg:

yf21_gerwalk4.JPG

I hope that helps :)

Thanks Valkyrie Nut. That does help a lot. But now I'm confused. In Battloid mode, shouldn't the slider thingy be set so it's not extended? Or is it suppose to be in extended position? I hope my questions makes sense.

I think the slider thing for the legs is supposed to be pulled down in battroid. I didn't actually know that it did that either.

Thanks for the tips Valkyrie Nut.

no problem. if you any other questions don't hesitate to ask. i can also help out with VF-11B FP and in a little while the 1/48 VF-1 A. Just got my 1 A Max from hlj today (my 1st and probably only 1/48) and i can see why most people seem to like it so much. by the way, the hip slider is to be in the extended position for both battroid and gerwalk modes

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Help! I can't seem to make the backpack secure. The pegs can't seem to lock the backpack and the ball joints at the hips seem to be loose. What do I do guys? :unsure:

Valkyrie Nut, Uxi, got a solution to this problem? :unsure: Should I just keep my YF-21FP in fighter mode? :unsure:

Help! I can't seem to make the backpack secure. The pegs can't seem to lock the backpack and the ball joints at the hips seem to be loose. What do I do guys? :unsure:

Hmm... Well, one way to tighten up the connection point would be to go and get some clear nail polish and paint it onto the pegs. Give it sufficient time to dry, and do a test fit. Repeat as needed.

If I do that, wont the backpack stay there permanently? What if I want to transform it back to fighter mode, then what? Another thing, do u have a solution to the loose hip joints and also, when I transformed back to fighter mode, if you flip it on it's back you'll see the 2 "doors" that hide the legs. On the right side, it 's slightly bulging, especially if u look @ the toy from the front. Is there something wrong?

If I do that, wont the backpack stay there permanently? What if I want to transform it back to fighter mode, then what? Another thing, do u have a solution to the loose hip joints and also, when I transformed back to fighter mode, if you flip it on it's back you'll see the 2 "doors" that hide the legs. On the right side, it 's slightly bulging, especially if u look @ the toy from the front. Is there something wrong?

Let the nail polish dry sufficiently. To veer on the side of caution, let it dry for a few days. If its too sticky, take some nail polishing files and gently file off a bit of nail polish.

As to the second part... I don't know, as mine isn't here yet... Perhaps you mistransformed it?

Let the nail polish dry sufficiently. To veer on the side of caution, let it dry for a few days. If its too sticky, take some nail polishing files and gently file off a bit of nail polish.

As to the second part... I don't know, as mine isn't here yet... Perhaps you mistransformed it?

I think your right on the second part. When I transformed it again, this time it didn't bulge, it was flat.

Was your hip joint loose when you took out your YF-21 when it was still new? When I transformed my YF-21 for the first time, it was so I took apart the hip joint and wrapped some scotch tape on the ball part of the joint. After I put back the hip section together and tested it, It wasn't as loose as before. It was a little bit tight, but still a tad bit loose. Should I add some more scotch tape to tighten it up? By the way, this particular valkyrie toy sure is hard to pose! You had to go through a balancing act before you can make it pose perfectly.

I got my YF-21 FP yesterday (and the VF-11 too)! Ok... Let's see.

No problems with the backpack falling down.

Can't have the shoulder armour in fighter mode, as it causes things to pop out of locking position (perhaps this was the G-man's problem? )

Very hard to unlock it in battroid mode, felt that I was going to break something.

Loose hips.

Hmm... I might just try putting some teflon tape around the ball joint of the hip, as it's really loose for me too... However, it doesn't affect the 21 in battroid mode too much...

Give me a few days to get a better impression on my two new additions.

At first I was removing my shoulder pad things for fighter and gerwalk but I leave it on now and haven't noticed any changes. It's tight fit for fighter, but nothing "bulging" or anything.

AS far as the leg covers... make sure they're rotated appropriately (flat). The "front" of the legs (with the longer portion of the feet) are facing outwards from the center of the fighter.

AS far as the leg covers... make sure they're rotated appropriately (flat). The "front" of the legs (with the longer portion of the feet) are facing outwards from the center of the fighter.

That's what I did! :D I transformed my YF-21 again and I eventually solved the bulging problem. Now as for the loose hip joints, I used some scotch tape, cut them in small pieces and wrapped it around the ball part of the ball & socket joint. It tightened a bit but maybe if I used some more then maybe it'll tighten. I think I'll do that! :D