My Custom Macross DYRL

Kishimoto

All that from regular snacks boxes. The more pictures you post the more Im impressed.

Im thinking snack boxes and Cornflakes boxes are our friends now certainly cheaper than Styrene sheets. Also easier to get passed the missus as she buys the things anyway.

Thank you! I've always been into cardboard since I created my first project, "The Arcadia", from a Captain Harlock movie way back in the days. I know that in the past where as I posted some other customs, I had people then insisting that I should try out styrene. I know that it would be awesome to be able to make my customs out of it, and actually tested it out, but I just feel more comfortable with cardboard. Don't get me wrong! Styrene is a great material to build customs and such. It's just that cardboard is common material I'm use too. During construction on each of my projects, I try to expand my knowledge on just how far I can go with it. Do new things that I haven't tried before. :p And your right big F, it is way cheaper than styrene. Heck, I do occasionally get some of my material free from where I work. :D

]{ish

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I just went pretty much by eye using my resin SDF-1 Macross. I broke it down to sections starting with the legs and went from there. By having this starting point I was able to size the rest in the right proportions. I did have to remake a few pieces to get it right. One for example is the A.R.M.D platforms. My first set I thought was in the right proportions but once I completed the rest of the ship, they were smaller than what they suppose to be. So I had to build another set and these came out perfect. Unfortunately this mistake was a set back upon painting and completing the thing before the end of the year as I anticipated. :(

Kish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here are a few pics of my painted A.R.M.D platforms. They are not really completed. I just wanted to show how far I've gotten. :p

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Again thanks for all the compliments! I try my best at what I enjoy doing! :D

]{ish

post-605-1170701995_thumb.jpg

post-605-1170702016_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kishimoto

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome work man!

Part of me says that the large flat gray portions on the back could use a smoother paint finish, but the other part of me says that the color variations give those big flat areas some interest. Everything else looks great, especially the areas with lots of surface details. You've done a superdimensional job! :lol:

Congrats man! This is truly an amazing accomplishment. I just can not get over the fact that you built this out of cereal boxes! Amazing! Just amazing! A great monument to your ingenuity and skill. My hat goes off to you good sir!

It looks great man! Hopefully you have lots of build up photos printed so if you ever go to a show, they'll believe you made it out of cereal boxes n stuff! You gave the "resin guys" a run for their money! Congratulations! - MT

O.K. Kish My wife is curating an Art exhibition which has as it's theme 'pattern' and I showed her the finished pics you posted most recently ('cus I thought she'd find it cool that you made it out of cardboard - which of course she did-) but she also loves the photo you have of it with the wallpaper background and wants to put the first of the "finished" images in the show.

So are you O.K. with that? If so, should we use your handle for the artist's name on the card? Oh Yeah and just so you know none of the works will be for sale, the show is going up for viewing only during the spring festival in the town gallery. Let me know by PM.