My Custom Macross DYRL

Kishimoto

Well here is a pic of my custom SDF-1 Macross DYRL. The whole thing is made mostly out of cardboard with a few exceptions. It has a few pieces of plastic that I added. The most noticable pieces are the arms(purple). Those pieces came from an existing transformer. I had intentionately wanted to make the whole thing out of cardboard but I didn't know how to approach on that area in which to customize it to do what I wanted it to do. So I dug into my scrapbox and found the perfect pieces. There are movable parts hence the purple pieces. I'm able to move and poise the arms where I want them. The other are the main cannons. I can poistion them in "firing mode" or "attack mode" as most would know it as. Also in the pics you will notice how big this thing is. I place my 1/48 valk with pack beside it to show you the comparison.

Believe it or not, right now this is about 98% done. I know that it looks done minus the paint but some small detail still needs to be completed. I plan on "hopfully" have it completely done, paint and all by the end of the year. Until then these pics will have to do for now. Enjoy! :D

]{ish

post-605-1163705499_thumb.jpg

post-605-1163705513_thumb.jpg

post-605-1163705525_thumb.jpg

post-605-1163705548_thumb.jpg

post-605-1163705563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kishimoto

That is what you call "multi-media" modelling. Tree huggers call it recycling, and I call it an EXCELLENT model and great engineering work of art. The trees didn't die in vain for this project! - MT

That looks like the perfect size for a Macross! You have really done some incredible work with cardboard! :o

Would it be at all possible to have that cast in resin!? You'd probably have to seal the cardboard first, but it would be soooo worth it.

Now do one in cruiser mode! All Macross fans must demand it!!! :ph34r:

:lol:;)

Edited by jardann

Hey Kish, I'm curious, did you have a set of drawings blown up to work from or did you just use the line art as is? could you post pics of the images you used for ref. The proportions look relly great that's why I'm asking.

(Also looking for a litttle insight into your process) :ph34r:;)

Hey Kish, I'm curious, did you have a set of drawings blown up to work from or did you just use the line art as is? could you post pics of the images you used for ref. The proportions look relly great that's why I'm asking.

(Also looking for a litttle insight into your process) :ph34r:;)

I did all this by eye using a 1/4000 scale resin kit from Yellow Submarine. Originally I had already built the A.R.M.D platforms a year ago and never had a chance to finish the rest of it. So by using the platform and the kit, I came up with this scale. Unfortunately the scale came up a little off and had not notice it till I was almost done. :o I know for some here you would think it's perfect, but by comparing it to the kit, the platforms are smaller than they suppose to be. Right now I'm in the process of building another set to match in scale. (see pic below)^_^

As far as the process, I take a project and consider it like a "do it yourself" model kit minus the pieces. It's like taking a model kit you have, open it up and toss out everything that was in it. What's left is what you use....the box. Using a good guide to go by, you draw, cut, and glue your own pieces together. ;)

]{ish

post-605-1163838363_thumb.jpg

post-605-1163838680_thumb.jpg

post-605-1163838703_thumb.jpg

All that from regular snacks boxes. The more pictures you post the more Im impressed.

Im thinking snack boxes and Cornflakes boxes are our friends now certainly cheaper than Styrene sheets. Also easier to get passed the missus as she buys the things anyway.

i can picture the cannons aiming at the zentradi fleet, gloval at the bridge, pipe smoking.... "fire on my command..... DIG'EM!" pummeling the enemy forces with a deadly barrage of sweetly puffed rice goodness.

not sure if it'd help, but way back in middle school, we used to make fingerboards (skateboards for your fingers) out of cardboard. a great trick to stiffen the cardboard was to put super glue all over it, basically soaking it. perhaps it could be useful for areas where the cardboad needs more structural solidity.

fantastic job on the sdf-1! any plans for a TV version? i've got an empty box of fruity pebbles that you could borrow :p

i can picture the cannons aiming at the zentradi fleet, gloval at the bridge, pipe smoking.... "fire on my command..... DIG'EM!" pummeling the enemy forces with a deadly barrage of sweetly puffed rice goodness.

not sure if it'd help, but way back in middle school, we used to make fingerboards (skateboards for your fingers) out of cardboard. a great trick to stiffen the cardboard was to put super glue all over it, basically soaking it. perhaps it could be useful for areas where the cardboad needs more structural solidity.

fantastic job on the sdf-1! any plans for a TV version? i've got an empty box of fruity pebbles that you could borrow :p

I'm seriously thinking about it. ^_^ And thanks but I already have plenty of cereal boxes. :D

]{ish