Did I screw up?

Kyp Durron

Those hip joints in the 1/60 are so totally ugly... the floppy legs, the thick cannopy, huge seam lines... among other things makes me prefer the old 1/72 HCM line by bandai over the newest 1/60 yammies. IMO 1/48s are a much superior product in quality, lineart and mostly everythiing. Just a bit more expensive.

I have to say that I do like the 1/60. I think for the non-serious collector on a budget (me, basically) then they're a good buy.

If I could have afforded a 1/48 when I bought my 1/60 i'd have bought a 1/48, but the 1/60's brought me a lot of pleasure since i've had it- at leats when the thing isn't falling over.

Dear believers....

as some of you have said... I've seen the light!!

I will definetly "migrate" to yamato.... I'm planning to sell/burn/destroy my small MPC collection (Vols 3,4,5 & Appendix A,B,C)

I'm also a big fan of "consistent scale" but seems to me after this whole reading that the 1/48 scale it's a better product.... they 1/60 are "older" than the 1/48, or they're just worse?

Also, I would like some tips about where should I shop... I live in Chile, so no local shopping for me :unsure:

Thanks guys!

?

Dear believers....

as some of you have said... I've seen the light!!

I will definetly "migrate" to yamato.... I'm planning to sell/burn/destroy my small MPC collection (Vols 3,4,5 & Appendix A,B,C)

Can you video it? :D

Check my sig for good retailers.

Ok... I've been checking some sites and found very interestings things to pick :p

here are a few noooobish questions, hope you can help... don't want to make stupid mistakes (besides the MPC choice, of course)

I've seen several (as in "OMFG are you kidding me!?!?") several versions of VFs packages... most of them I'm familiar with.. like Low-Vis, Stealth, Super&Strike Parts, GPB Armor and things like that...

... but I would like to know about the "combo-packages" like VF-1J & Super,Strike Parts... is that the same as getting them for separate? or are they another/different version

hmmm :mellow: looks like this has something to do with Macross TV and D.Y.R.L. how am I doing it so far?

comments are appreciated..

?

This liink will answer your questions. Arkham, that's my website and I've analyzed the hell out of the 1/48s so read that review and then surf around and you should be a certified expert in no time. When you're done with the 1/48s you can check out all the 1/60s too :)

Also, whoevere said the MPCs are a lot more than 1/60s is not exactly right. Ben Dixon's MPC goes for less generally and the Super 1/60 releases go for just as much as the most sought after MPCs.

Edited by jenius

In my very humble opinion, the only real "downside" about the 1/60s are their horrible legs. I'm not even complaining about the lack of a perfect transformation system (you have to remove the legs and re-attach them, same goes for the chest cover).

Other than that, I really dig their looks, their proportions, their size, their playability...

And, as some have said, it's the most "complete" Macross VF-1 collection.

Of course, there's also a "budget" issue. Depends on how much you can or are willing to spend.

But, say... if you were to own only one valkyrie, I'd pick a 1/48 (in my case, a Hikaru VF-1S... always been my fav. With Strike parts, too).

Well, I have changed my mind somewhat for now...I just ordered me a 1/60 VF-0S and since I plan on getting the VF-0A and the YF-19 later on anyways, it makes sense for me to stay with 1/60 for now...

I still want to get the MPC Alpha's...those were my favorites for a long time till I saw the VF-0's. :p

-Kyp

Well, I have changed my mind somewhat for now...I just ordered me a 1/60 VF-0S and since I plan on getting the VF-0A and the YF-19 later on anyways, it makes sense for me to stay with 1/60 for now...

I still want to get the MPC Alpha's...those were my favorites for a long time till I saw the VF-0's. :p

-Kyp

Thats not quite a bad idea. If you get the 1/60 VF-0, you get about the same deal as a 1/48 Vf-1 in terms of toy engineering. Only thing you will miss out on is the fantastic FAST packs and GBP armour for which the 1/48 scale surpasses every dang thing by parsecs.

I have an MPC Rook which I want to get rid off. Interested? Never been transformed. Took it out of the box once and decided nah! I don't like it.

If youre planning to buy an alpha, I would suggest you to wait, accumulate more cash and buy yourself a 1/48 instead. Probably, if you want, you can get an alpha but only after you have enough of Yamato stuff. I mean, why get a mediocre product when more superior products are readily available. I suggest you get these in the following order :

-1/48 VF-1 (anything, Low Vis, Vf-1S, VF-1J, VF-1A, Stealth etc.)

-1/48 Strike packs (or you can buy em bundled with your valk ala stealth these have really nice details in em)

-1/48 GBP-1S - this thing rocks!.....if stickered IMHO, but still, the details are comparable and suit the 1/48s and only the 1/48s!!

-1/60 VF-0....man this thing is the one of a kind of all yamato products esp the VF-0S. Although VF-0S has less improvements than its younger brother, the VF-0A, the valk has the most tampo printings compared to all other yamato releases...

-1/100 Koenig monster (they make great display *pieces though theyre not too play-able)

-Yamato Stand (at least 1 to display the ever sexy VF-0S...man that bird is a beaut!)

- Whatever other Yamato releases that are available (Quaedluunrau etc, they're now half the price they were two years ago!)

Once youre tired of all these good stuff, you can pick whatever 'leftovers' that are left just for fun (1/60 VF-1, MPC & whutever!)

Just my 2 cents. That's the way I would go if I can rewind time

aaajin

*updated

Edited by aaajin

As a huge fan of the Legioss/Alpha design, I sympathize with Kyp and no amount of VF-1 will ever satisfy a craving for a different toy entirely. Besides, the market is so saturated with VF-1s right now, having an Alpha would be a nice change of pace. Now, it is too bad the MPC is the best Alpha available but that ought to demonstrate to everyone that there's a void there waiting for some new manufacturer to step up and do the design justice. Some day... some day...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by jenius

Thanks for all the info guys...

looks like 1/48 is the way to go concerning VF-1s... and of course 1/60 for VF-0s and YFs :D

hmmm, man they really have a wide spectrum of choices.. not sure where to start :huh:

I think I'll stick to the DYRL versions.... just to be "continuity consistent" :p

?

Get the Following:

a) Vf-1s Roy and Vf-1j

b) vf-0A (not the vf-0s, its loose, and color cant match that of vf-0a)

c) vf-1j super stealth

d) optimus and starscream Masterpiece (takara version ONLY)

e) Wait for yf-21 and second reliece of yf-19 in 1/60th, or you could get the yf-21 1/72 which is still nice i think

f) Get Binalteck Shockwave, and maybe Jazz too

g) Get vf-1a low vis if you can afford it, or wait for yamato to make it in 1s, and JUMP on it

if you still have money, get the following:

h) Low vis 2, and maybe the armor as well

i) Get the new SDF-1 from wave (though i dont know for sure if it will be good, sure look good though)

j) Alpha: the quality sux compared to yamato, but i like to have the green one with other milatary stuff. I think maybe the shadow one could be good too.

h) get Gundam Models, or the Fix ones

i) get the macross 2 model, and paint it silver.

j) get spawn figurines

Still have money left???

k) get the super strike parts

l) get the display stand, i recommend the silver one, but the others ones are nice too.

m) Flexi display

n) Save your money for the new stuff comming out ;)

That should be a nice list to start with (well, these are some of the stuff i have anyways), good luck.

Once you've bought all of that and you're trying to explain to yourself

where all your money went. Sit back relax and enjoy.

I'd move the Flexi display stand up a few ranks on that list. Some where

near the top your going to want those as you get your Valks. or get the

Yamato stands.

Nah, I'd stick with the flexi's. More added "play value," especially when you start mixing and matching the rod lengths.

A few things about the Alphas. They're probably about 2/3 to 3/4 the height of the MPC Veritechs.

They definitely have more articulation than the old Gakken Alphas.

BUT there are a bunch of flaws to keep your eyes out for when getting the MPC Alphas. Sometimes, it's almost a crapshoot trying to get one that's almost perfect. Some noteable issues are the infamous floppy arms syndrome, fragile hands, the arched back look in fighter mode, crooked heads, and the chest plate touching the ground.

I'd say about 2 out of the 5 Alphas I've bought have been relatively flaw-free. I can still pose all of them fairly well, mind you. But the flaws on less-than-perfect Alphas can get pretty annoying.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying the Alphas, but you should be aware of some of the issues you may run across.

.....Now if only someone would make a compatible, transformable Beta. <_<

wait for the 2nd version of the VF-0S, if they gonna ever release them, or just buy the 1st version & display it in fighter mode.

I never regret buying the 1st version VF-0S considering the amount of tampo printings on this thing, and by tampo printing I mean the symbols and signs are printed on the toy; minimizing the amount of stickers that will be used on the toy

as for the VF-0A....who need paint schemes? :D

just realized you have ordered the VF-0S (slaps forehead). Nyway, enjoy the toy when it arrives and be careful not to break anything when transforming it. better be nervous than sorry.

oh, and welcome to da 0S club!

as for the MPC alpha, Id agree they look good esp. when stickered but quality wise, (materials used, paint applications, breakage issues etc) theyre not worth the 60 bucks I paid earlier on. I'd say get em the first thing when youre satiated with the Yamatos.

Edited by aaajin

Yeah, I was really hoping to buy a 0S 2nd Edition, 0A, and a YF-19 all at the same time. Looks like Yamato has decided to hold off on the 0S Second Edition though :( Now I find myself with nothing even on order anywhere... looks like I won't be one of the first to get the YF-19.

As a huge fan of the Legioss/Alpha design, I sympathize with Kyp and no amount of VF-1 will ever satisfy a craving for a different toy entirely. Besides, the market is so saturated with VF-1s right now, having an Alpha would be a nice change of pace. Now, it is too bad the MPC is the best Alpha available but that ought to demonstrate to everyone that there's a void there waiting for some new manufacturer to step up and do the design justice. Some day... some day...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Woah....arethose Alphas' made by Toynami? If so, they look awesome!! But just a few questions:

1. Any die-cast

2. Are the pilots removable

3. What's the scale

He He He , I'm on step E :p , although I bought the VF-0S :( instead of the VF-0A (and yes it's very loose), VF-0A is on my list anyway. I differ also in that I bought the FP and the GBP. And I'm waiting (mail) for the Optimus (w/trailer) and SOC Daiku Maryu Gaiking (I already have SOC Mazinger Z, Aphrodite and Boss Borot).

I also started my collection looooong ago with a Jetfire, but forgot about it for a long time, only to start now collecting like crazy (buying at least a toy a week). The funny thing is that my new addiction to valkyries started with the Toynami MPC Rick & Roy (well veritechs actually), although now it's Yamato for me.

It's funny that I started my collection thinking my choices were pretty unique only to find out by looking at the forums that pretty much my choices are standard fare :p .

Get the Following:

a) Vf-1s Roy and Vf-1j

b) vf-0A (not the vf-0s, its loose, and color cant match that of vf-0a)

c) vf-1j super stealth

d) optimus and starscream Masterpiece (takara version ONLY)

e) Wait for yf-21 and second reliece of yf-19 in 1/60th, or you could get the yf-21 1/72 which is still nice i think

f) Get Binalteck Shockwave, and maybe Jazz too

g) Get vf-1a low vis if you can afford it, or wait for yamato to make it in 1s, and JUMP on it

if you still have money, get the following:

h) Low vis 2, and maybe the armor as well

i) Get the new SDF-1 from wave (though i dont know for sure if it will be good, sure look good though)

j) Alpha: the quality sux compared to yamato, but i like to have the green one with other milatary stuff. I think maybe the shadow one could be good too.

h) get Gundam Models, or the Fix ones

i) get the macross 2 model, and paint it silver.

j) get spawn figurines

Still have money left???

k) get the super strike parts

l) get the display stand, i recommend the silver one, but the others ones are nice too.

m) Flexi display

n) Save your money for the new stuff comming out ;)

That should be a nice list to start with (well, these are some of the stuff i have anyways), good luck.

Edited by rarra92

Woah....arethose Alphas' made by Toynami? If so, they look awesome!! But just a few questions:

Hi Agent - yeah those are Toynami's MPCS. Check out this link, I did a write-up on them that should answer all your questions and provide you with several less glamorous photos.

Toynami MPCs

The shorter answers:

Diecast? Too much

Pilots: Yep

Scale: 1/55 (although they're the same size as the 1/48 model Aoshima and Imai sell)

Whoo-Hoo!!! I just mailed the money order for the VF-0S and they should have it by no later than Monday (I mailed it today priority mail) and since they are also sending it priority mail, then I should have it by Wednesday. It's in Austin, TX and I am in Dothan, AL. so it should be 2 days both ways.

I can't freaking wait!!! :D

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Whoo-Hoo!!! I just mailed the money order for the VF-0S and they should have it by no later than Monday (I mailed it today priority mail) and since they are also sending it priority mail, then I should have it by Wednesday. It's in Austin, TX and I am in Dothan, AL. so it should be 2 days both ways.

I can't freaking wait!!! :D

-Kyp

WTG on your buy, you won't be dissapointed with the VF-0S (except for the arms which are a little floppy but u can deal with it). It's my favorite yamato valk next to the Stealth 1/48.

I've heard alot about the arms being loose, but since it will pretty much stay in fighter mode, it should be a non-issue for me. I wonder what improvements they might make on the second version of this? I know the arm joints will be improved, but what else does anyone speculate they will do besides that?

-Kyp

Kyp, check out the threads on the VF-0A and read it for the improvements over the 0S. It's pretty universal speculation that the 0S will be reissued at some point with exactly the improvements made to the 0A. The big ones are tighter arms and something to do with the feet (I think the feet on the 0S were wobbly where they've been improved to be like 1/48 VF-1 feet on the 0A but someone who owns one could describe it better).

Lineart accuracy. Bah, who needs it? The 1/48 are clearly the superior toy. (and on that note I'll shut up before I get bombarded with 1/60 scale tomatos...)

The 1/60 takes liberties, too. I just happen to prefer the liberties taken on the 1/48 as they enhance the look of the toy while the liberties on the 1/60 make it look like crap. Especially the nose and tail fins on the latter.

1/48 is the king of Valks.

The 1/60 takes liberties, too. I just happen to prefer the liberties taken on the 1/48 as they enhance the look of the toy while the liberties on the 1/60 make it look like crap. Especially the nose and tail fins on the latter.

1/48 is the king of Valks.

But isn't Yamato pretty much going with 1/60's now? :huh:

-Kyp