2007, the big date for Macross ?

Aegis!

Actually the 35mm print of DYRL will have a higher resolution than any of the new high def cameras according to a friend of mine in the film industry.

Therefore as long as they have an original print they are capable of producing a High Def transfer.

How much they clean it up is another matter.

I stand corrected

Thanks for the info.

As long as they dont try and redo the sound track and add naff weapons sounds etc.

I want to see a new series or movie that focus's on the protoculture people. I think it would be cool to have a show revolve around new characters that effected the current Macross universe from the past. I always had an interest in the protoculture and always wondered what happen to them. This new concept would be totally different but with similar elements to the Macross we know currently. I picture the protoculture to be a far advanced race.

Wow, that's a really interesting idea man B)). But a very radical one too. I mean, it could be a great new concept like macross plus; about an specific historical moment of the macross saga, but if is not well done could be a little confusing like the macross zero story. And I always like the mistery around the unknown protoculture people.

Well within the Macross universe many story genres can be told, from thriller, romance, adventure, etc...

The stories don't always have to be a war story, however with the exception of 2, all have been.

The universe is vast enough that many types of stories can be done, with or without SK...

I suspect SK would like someone else to carry the torch, as it would allow him to do the various stories he's had banging around in his head for years...

How 'bout if they pulled an 08th MS Team and made a short OVA series about a destroid squad... :p

Maybe playing up the elitist element of VF pilots vs the destroid grunts.

Off topic:

What I like about the Tomahawk and its derrivatives is that it represents the transition from FASA type walking tanks to fully, almost human-like, manoeuvrable battroids.

How 'bout if they pulled an 08th MS Team and made a short OVA series about a destroid squad... :p

Maybe playing up the elitist element of VF pilots vs the destroid grunts.

Off topic:

What I like about the Tomahawk and its derrivatives is that it represents the transition from FASA type walking tanks to fully, almost human-like, manoeuvrable battroids.

Well I've always liked the idea that the Destroids were manned by Spacy Marines, since they are the naval ground pounders...

Macross = VFs (and love triangles, and music.)

Not sure if an exclusive-to Destroid series would work, especially considering their lack of appearance in later series (which adds weight to the arguement of VFs having more marketing power than Destroids.)

Also, the squad would have a very high mortality rate, given that Destroids are usually destroyed moments after they appear on screen, and the enemy attacks!

Anyhow... something semi-related to Macross just popped up in the Diet: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070123a7.html

I especially like the line about reexamining old contracts. That just screams Macross to me.

Doubtful. I think it may have something to do with Japanese media organizations asking YouTube to delete a huge volume of illegal files a couple of months ago, more than anything else.

In addition there is the news of Production IG getting the rights to represent GitS in Hollywood; though I doubt GitS prompted this debate in the Diet.

Macross = VFs (and love triangles, and music.)

True.

I'm not advocating a series that doesn't feature any VF's though.

Being a bit more destroid oriented simply adds some flavour, provided it's well written and directed.

Isn't really a suggestion for a main series, if we ever get a new one, though.

As I said, more for something like an OVA exclusive offshoot.

Not sure if an exclusive-to Destroid series would work, especially considering their lack of appearance in later series (which adds weight to the arguement of VFs having more marketing power than Destroids.)

There's always the retro-active approach. ^_^

So.. how about a new triangle.

VF pilot - Destroid operator - civilian musical artist.

True.

I'm not advocating a series that doesn't feature any VF's though.

Being a bit more destroid oriented simply adds some flavour, provided it's well written and directed.

Isn't really a suggestion for a main series, if we ever get a new one, though.

As I said, more for something like an OVA exclusive offshoot.

There's always the retro-active approach. ^_^

So.. how about a new triangle.

VF pilot - Destroid operator - civilian musical artist.

Make it a little more interesting, a musical artist that works for the government and promotes the lies they are telling about the way the current war is going.

Or a spy for the other side.

Edited by briscojr84

Mmm that smells of RT for me... :blink:

In what manner does it smell of RT, main characters falling in love with a spy is a major mainstay of a lot of action/intrigue shows. Of course alot of them get so bloody convoluted that you can't tell what's going on anymore, and then they resort to just killing the chracter when they get married.

In what manner does it smell of RT, main characters falling in love with a spy is a major mainstay of a lot of action/intrigue shows. Of course alot of them get so bloody convoluted that you can't tell what's going on anymore, and then they resort to just killing the chracter when they get married.

They did it with the defunkt RT movie (AKA Megazone 23) as well as the second chapter "The Masters".

They did it with the defunkt RT movie (AKA Megazone 23) as well as the second chapter "The Masters".

I didn't watch the RT movie, nor MZ23, and only someone who's brain was made of pudding wouldn't have figured out in 5 seconds that what's his name was a spy.

I'm talking more along the lines of no one knows that spy has a connection.

I don't see why they don't just make some parallel storylines to the original macross like Bandai has done with Gundam.

A story of a few green pilots rushed from the training ground to the battlefield during Space War 1 could work. They wouldn't even have to be cannon fodders, they could be in a unique squadron similiar to the one featured in the macross PS2 game.

A good pacing and mix of of crew drama and combat as seen in Battlestar Galactica could serve the series quite well.

Anyone may say "omg what an unoriginal idea", but hey.. i'd rather be watching a dark, gritty rehashed BSG-like Macross than...say... "super hippy wtf-ing hell am I watching" catastrofrak known as Macross Zero.

Edited by Duymon

Anyone may say "omg what an unoriginal idea", but hey.. i'd rather be watching a dark, gritty rehashed BSG-like Macross than...say... "super hippy wtf-ing hell am I watching" catastrofrak known as Macross Zero.

Hmmm, you clearly haven't seen Mac 7 yet... :p

I don't see why they don't just make some parallel storylines to the original macross like Bandai has done with Gundam.

A story of a few green pilots rushed from the training ground to the battlefield during Space War 1 could work. They wouldn't even have to be cannon fodders, they could be in a unique squadron similiar to the one featured in the macross PS2 game.

A good pacing and mix of of crew drama and combat as seen in Battlestar Galactica could serve the series quite well.

I really like your ideas, I think something along those lines would nice and all, but if I were to chose I say give VF-X2 a chance. Not only does it have every cool valk out there and some terrorist plot going on, it also has a Focker as protagonist, what more can you ask for !?

As for Macross Zero, I think its the best production we could´ve had in recent years, considreing Macross track record (M7 anyone?).

The only thing that somehow was out of place was in the very end with Shin´s 0A flying out to space, but considering that the AFOS had already done the same using overtechnology from the protoculture ( and not relying on magic, that´s something that should be clear to anyone I think) and that it was controled by Sara already, that wasn´t that odd when you think about it.

The only mistake they made was making the 0A energy field resemble a pair wings, yeah, it looks fantasy-ish, but if it is the AFOS who´s doing the field thing, then wouldn´t that explain the reasons why protoculture could fly and resemble (winged) BIRD-HUMANS also ?

I think it was actually the AFOS the one responsible ( as a tool it was ) for making the PC able to fly, that´s why the 0A shows the same pair of wings the PC were supossed to have when they used the AFOS in earth.

Edited by Aegis!

Oh please let's NOT do the tired Macross"terrorist" plot device... :rolleyes:

Kawamori used it like candy in the chronology before it was updated. The AUN was a terrorist organization, everything bad that happened was because of terrorists... How about groups and nations who "didn't agree" with the policies or approach the UNG was taking with regard to this threat? Disagreement with an established governement body, doesn't develop into terrorist activities, it develops into opposition, whether it be political opposition, military opposition or both...

I prefer the Mac Zero idea of an organized alliance with their own army actually fighting battles for territorial control or strategic objectives.

Granted Mac Zero was an incident that was classified and compartmentalized for 50 years in the chronology, but still it was organized armies that were fighting these engagements.

If the VF-X2 antagonists were some organized rebellion, that would be different than a group of terrorists out to wipe out civilians to further their own agendas.

Maybe the Japanese really don't (didn't) understand what a terrorist group actually does and what their methods are? It would explain a few things.

What's the difference between terrorist and freedom fighter? Not much other than politics, and which side of the political divide one is on.

The question I have is: are any of the agencies in Macross actually true blue terrorists (getting their political message through by terrorising civilian populations)? Aside from the attack and destruction of the mostly civilian (? at least undefended) fleet returning from Mars, pre-SWI, there really hasn't been much terrorism going on in the Macross chronology. It's been mostly group A vs. group B; the two groups having different political beliefs. Wait... isn't that war? I guess that Kamjin's attacks against civilian populations at the end of SDF:M count as terrorism too...

Anyhow, VF-X2 plays out as a military coup attempt of the UN government. It just happens that the Vinderance Terrorist group are involved with the main group attempting the coup. I don't think that one group's previous activities should be used to define the entire group, especially the groups activities during VF-X2. Maybe it's just the in-universe government propaganda machine labeling it as terrorism, to hide the reality to the unsuspecting populace?

I would have to say that the Japanese do understand terrorist acts fairly well - if you've traveled by car to Narita airport you'll have had a definite tangible experience of the aftereffects of international terrorism here (Air India Bombing.) There's also the insane activities of AUM. There's not many countries that have had sarin nerve gas terrorist attacks in their subway systems, assasinations of judges and lawyers against terrorist groups, or even failed attempted gas attacks against military and government facilities by terrorist groups...

Anyhow, perhaps it is the creators of Macross that don't know, or perhaps it's even the (fan) translators of the timeline who mistranslated things...?

What's the difference between terrorist and freedom fighter? Not much other than politics, and which side of the political divide one is on.

Freedom fighters are not often targeting civilian populations, they attack their enemy military.

The question I have is: are any of the agencies in Macross actually true blue terrorists (getting their political message through by terrorising civilian populations)? Aside from the attack and destruction of the mostly civilian (? at least undefended) fleet returning from Mars, pre-SWI, there really hasn't been much terrorism going on in the Macross chronology. It's been mostly group A vs. group B; the two groups having different political beliefs. Wait... isn't that war? I guess that Kamjin's attacks against civilian populations at the end of SDF:M count as terrorism too...

That's essentially my position as well. Blanket labelling of rebels, traitors, etc.. as "terrorists" confuses the meaning of the term and I've found that it is used far too frequently by the author's of the chronology.

Oh please let's NOT do the tired Macross"terrorist" plot device... :rolleyes:

Kawamori used it like candy in the chronology before it was updated. The AUN was a terrorist organization, everything bad that happened was because of terrorists... How about groups and nations who "didn't agree" with the policies or approach the UNG was taking with regard to this threat? Disagreement with an established governement body, doesn't develop into terrorist activities, it develops into opposition, whether it be political opposition, military opposition or both...

I agree with you, that's more easy to believe, but a civil war in macross? I really don't know... :blink:

• 4 weeks later...