2007, the big date for Macross ?

Aegis!

Hi there,

Just to clarify things, this is not another speculative ¨what the next series you hope will be about¨ thread.

I was just wondering, we´re just months away from the 25th anniversary and we´ve heard nothing from BigWest or the HFH ( Kawamori-sama ), I mean, during the last 20th anniversary we already had news of the 20th anniversary DVD and plans for an OVA series.

I´m starting to think we won´t get anything special this time around. Or maybe japanese people don´t really celebrate 25th anniversaries.

Maybe i´m just being paranoid but really, IT´S 1/4 OF A CENTURY !!!. There should be some magazine rumours ( newtype, whatever) or interviews going around by now.

IMO this is no time to joke around, BW+Studio Nue+Bandai Visual should really get their asses off their chairs and start working in a BIG Macross project, much like the time they made Macross Plus OVAs + Movie + M7 series combo ( but please no more marketing-driven series this time around).

I really think it´s not enough with a TV series or an OVA series alone, it should be both if not another Movie in there too.

I really hope Kawamori is in the mood to participate in another Macross Project, hopefully he´s done with the environmental theme and focuses in a more mature, epic and plot-driven story this time around.

Actually, Mikimoto and Yoko Kanno should get involved in it too, just for the sake of perfection.

Honestly I hope he kind of leaves it alone. For bout a decade now Kawamori has been going with enviormental/earthy themes to his shows with outragious looking mecha.....I don't think Macross Zero was really favored by the fans new and old.....while his designs were good, his story sort of sucked.

Honestly I hope he kind of leaves it alone. For bout a decade now Kawamori has been going with enviormental/earthy themes to his shows with outragious looking mecha.....I don't think Macross Zero was really favored by the fans new and old.....while his designs were good, his story sort of sucked.

I agree with Hikuro; Kawamori san should step away from Macross for little and hand the reigns to newer writers. Maybe stay on as an consultant/producer ala Gene Roddenbery. Macross needs a new vision.

I can agree with you in terms of his role as director/writer but Macross will never be Macross without Kawamori´s mecha designs.

I kinda wish he would only work in the storyboard and design department, like he did for Eureka 7 : Kawamori as mecha designer = awesome mechas = no treehugger plot = happy fans.

The marketing machine would be at full steam by now if anything was planned for release. Maybe we'll get something for the 30th anniversary.

I certainly hope not. Every other cult anime series has gotten some sort of treatment by their 25th aniversary , I´m sure Macross deserves that too, specially when it justifies a complete line of toys from Yamato, if there wasn´t a crowd for Macross they just wouldn´t waste their time, so why shouldn´t BW and Bandai spend their time with it?

The only way I can see Macross making a big splash again is to create another epic war story written for the change in times or produce another side story with an auteur at the helm, like Shinichiro Wantanabe. Other than that, not really interested in some token anniversary project.

It's shame too because Macross does have a modest cult following (both domestic and international), something that can be built upon and exploited to spearhead a more popular production. It has the potential to create a popular and profitable production that can not only bring in new fans but spur re-releases of old property products that are cheap to re-issue.

Personally, I don't see anything happening. Nothing is on the radar and we're only months away.

How about a backdoor Macross project? Develop some new show with transformable mechs that doesn't mention the Protoculture or spiritia. It's on some distant Earth colony and there's a war. Have plenty of singing in it, I'm cool with that. Then, at the end, do something that ties it into the Macross universe. I think Macross needs to escape Protoculture, Spiritia, and many of the themes it has constructed to get fresh again and get a new audience involved. The universe is a big place, there's no reason every story in it needs to tie tightly together.

Quick Edit - Kawamori for designs only. I saw what Lucas did to Star Wars and I'm convinced that's the road Kawamori is taking Macross.

Edited by jenius

The marketing machine would be at full steam by now if anything was planned for release. Maybe we'll get something for the 30th anniversary.

Agreed. Nothing for early to mid 2007. However, it is entirely possible for something to appear from mid-to late 2007. Though, my guess is it may end up being something more akin to "Macross 20th Anniversary" - a video collection with only a little bit of new animation, and possibly an announcement of something to come in the next year or two - Kawamori Shoji is apparently popular and a demanded mecha designer, so he's pretty busy.

Though, honestly, the franchise has gone a bit cold these past few years... PS1 3 games, PS2 1 game... though, the franchise could be semi-cyclical, and we may just be nearing the end of one of the down points on the cusp of the next upwards turn, like when Macross 7 and Plus were released...

Maybe the only 25th anniversary celebration we will see is a 'MACROSS 25th' Gold Sticker on the friggin big box of the Yamato 1/60 YF-19.

Since there is no time now to do a new series or OVA, I would be happy if they just re-issue an updated Perfect Memory and the Gold Book.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

I enjoy both old & new as well, I fail to see where all the hate comes from, aside from some people just wanting rehashes of what came before.

Yeah, and imagine people having an opinion of Macross different than yours? I vomit at the very thought. I'd much rather dismiss the critics by marginalizing their opinions and I'm glad you agree. :rolleyes:

Im happy to see any comemarative stuff, be it new series remakes, reboxed, reissued, or even just a keychain. Anything made or done just shows us that the manufacturers and producers of Macross are still interested.

Gundam has lasted almost as long and it`s still popular so why cant Macross be just as popular. Maybe it is time for a bit of reinvention. RowblowDrege are pumping out more dross so Macross should be heading them off at the pass.

A series with MZero animation, now that is what I would like.

Or they can actually animate VF-X2. That was gold. And they have all the VF's already, no need to design new ones.

No need to design new VF's?!?! BLASPHEMY!! :angry:

A new series/movie/whatever is just the right reason to design new VF's.

That way Yamato won't run out of toys to release in a couple of years.

Whether it be a toy or some animation...it's gonna get our money...Graham knows something is up and looks like we gotta torture it outta him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it must be institutionalised. No half assed jobs we should not do.

No need to design new VF's?!?! BLASPHEMY!! :angry:

A new series/movie/whatever is just the right reason to design new VF's.

That way Yamato won't run out of toys to release in a couple of years.

Yeah but, some of the VF's that were designed haven't even been used in any animation. I for one would like to see the VF-9 and 14 in action. You say that a new series/movie/whatever is just the right reason to design new VFs, yeah, but what if the VF's aren't even used? Take care of them first, before moving on to new projects. :rolleyes:

Gundam has lasted almost as long and it`s still popular so why cant Macross be just as popular. Maybe it is time for a bit of reinvention. RowblowDrege are pumping out more dross so Macross should be heading them off at the pass.

Gundam has actually lasted longer, but at the cost of constant & repetative "re-inventions," for the past 15 years (aside from Turn-A that is).

Macross doesn't need to head off robotech at the pass, as Macross has already lapped it many times over.

Macross doesn't need to head off robotech at the pass, as Macross has already lapped it many times over.

True. Another couple of laps cant hurt though.

I honestly thought there wasnt much in between Gundam and Macross on the age front. thanks for clearing it up for me.

On THAT we agree brother! :p

However, I do agree that Kawamori is becoming the Lucas of Macross. As a director he is brilliant, as a mecha designer- amazing, as a story teller- he could use the fresh perspective of a new set of eyes.

Macross Zero was better than 7 IMO, yet it didn't capture the essence of the original, since he really didn't write the original, he wrote the outlines that the staff writers followed and the Director embellished on. It was his story to be sure, but the details were fleshed out by others, similar to how "The Empire Strikes Back" was written.

I would rather see what would come out of a collaborative effort as opposed to SK himself. We also have to remember he has other stories outside of the Macross universe he'd like to tell, so his focus no doubt is on getting those projects off the ground rather than another Macross show.

I suspect there will be a fair bit of merchandising for the 25th, similar to how they did the 15th and then the 20th, but it's hard to say how much... :rolleyes:

it would be nice if the powers that be can take this anniversary and really push macross back into the spotlight. Considering how much of an influence it had, it's sad to see macross in the outskirts of fandom.

But if all we get is a few t-shirts and a coffee mug, I guess i can live with that too.

Although another series or movie from SK in the Macross universe is doubtful for the 25th anniversary as SK is currently working on the "Genius Party" series.

Maybe it's just a clever rouse, and he's actually working on the "Jenius Party" series!