Who wants a Destroid Tomahawk?

captain america

The model was constructed with diagrams contained in Perfect Memory; front, side, and back views like the one below. The perspective shots have considerable "distortions", and vary greatly from one to another, so those were just used for detailing.

Those orthos aren't going to be perfect, either (and, frankly, comparing to that front view it still looks like your model's head, and the hump on the back, are both too large) - you have to balance the priorities here: do you take one piece of reference as gospel or do you attempt to compose something based on your own observations of the shape described in the art? I think with anime art it's necessary to compromise between the two. Used alone, the former approach reproduces the flaws in the art while the latter strays too far from the source. I also think when you're faced with conflicting references it's best to choose the reference that looks best and turn it into a working 3-D design, rather than take a version that's already a working 3-D design without concern for whether it looks good...

Also, why did you sculpt in the cannon stripes? I know they did this on various model kits, but from the lineart the stripes look painted on... (Or is that detail shown in relief in a "high detail" version of the lineart?)

Edited by tetsujin

Guys you know John didnt have to master these destroids at all. To me it looks like a destroid tomahawk. Its better than the injection molded ones and has better detailing. Thats all i ask for. Could you do better? I know i couldnt.

Thank you John for taking the time to master these kits for us. We all know there are other subjects you would rather be working on.

I had to re-think a couple responses I wanted to post to that stuff. I think constructive criticism is important. That being said, when you cross over from being constructive to just plain criticizing, it's time to be quiet and show how you could do it better. I thought the verbiage in that post seemed a little harsh, and maybe more offensive than intended. I am a huge fan and John's work and thankful he is making kits for us too. Most people seem to recognize and John himself has commented numerous times in these threads about the variances that are presented in the different line-art references, it requires some artistic license and more than a little ingenuity to create a "functional" 3-D representation of these Mechs.

I like what I have seen so far of the Tomahawk/Warhammer kit and can't wait to get mine.

I had to re-think a couple responses I wanted to post to that stuff. I think constructive criticism is important. That being said, when you cross over from being constructive to just plain criticizing, it's time to be quiet and show how you could do it better. I thought the verbiage in that post seemed a little harsh, and maybe more offensive than intended. I am a huge fan and John's work and thankful he is making kits for us too. Most people seem to recognize and John himself has commented numerous times in these threads about the variances that are presented in the different line-art references, it requires some artistic license and more than a little ingenuity to create a "functional" 3-D representation of these Mechs.

If you're referring to my post, please think of it in purely mechanical terms. What I have to say, it's not good, it's not bad, it is what it is. I'm talking shop, it's something I enjoy about this hobby. If grayson or Cap don't want to deal with me on that level that's their business. If what I have to say is something that's abundantly obvious already - well, then maybe "duh" is the right response to it. :) But maybe you can leave the decision to be offended or not up to the people who have a real stake in this?

John's not making a kit for me - not as far as I know, anyway. I think it's a terrific project and it's great that he's selling cast copies for people who can't or won't scratchbuild things themselves - I presently have to cut my spending and so won't be buying one. So to me, this is more like someone's model project, rather than a new kit release. I assumed there'd been plenty of positive feedback already and that I could proceed straight to the meat of what I had to say without a redundant (and somewhat dishonest, in the sense that it was a statement I'd be immediately contradicting by questioning his design decisions) "it looks terrific/thank you so much for making this/I want to buy one for sure, but..."

Though, to be fair, I've been on the other side of this sort of thing before (somewhat) - been told in response after response after response that part of my design interpretation was wrong, or "If I were doing it, I'd make such-and-such decision"... when I'd already spent a lot of time coming to the conclusion that I did and verifying it to my own satisfaction... It's hard to not get a little irritated by things like that. Makes you want to say "Go build your own, then." I'd like to be able to make criticisms like that without offending modelers, and as a modeler I hope to be able to accept criticisms like that without taking them personally as I often do.

v Cap, glad to hear the project's been personally rewarding. A while back I started to feel that I was spending too much time on projects that weren't quite at the core of what I wanted to do, and so had to swear off such things and re-focus on the bits of the hobby that were really compelling to me. So for me, too, it's very important to be personally satisfied with my projects.

Edited by tetsujin

Hey guys.

I wouldn't sweat the critiques too much: they come with the territory, and I've been in the biz long enough to know that even your most valiant and well thought-out efforts will draw criticism at some point. I came to the realization long ago that when I'm not doing contract work, the number one person that needed to be satisfied with my stuff above all would be me.

For what it's worth, there seems to be an idea floating-around that I'm "bothering" myself to make these models. Nothing could be further from the truth: compared to the contract work I do, this is heaven. No contracts to sign, no red tape, no bs politics to contend with, no last-minute "we want to change everything" memorandums. When I sculpt these models, I can really pour my heart into them and just have fun.

I'm sure Cobywan and several others can attest to the sometimes not-so-pleasant aspects of big contract work too :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I dont mean to be a thickie but how tall is it ? The reason I ask is Im just building some display cabinets and, If this sucker doesnt fit I will have to start again. This is the one I have been waiting for.

Roughly 16.5cm to the top of the vertical missile container on the right shoulder.

Cool display cab will fit as is The particular one I was building for my Hasegawa 1/72 stuff has shelves big enough to take Binaltech Transformers and they are bigger than 16.5 cm.

Hey everyone.

If it seems to those of you waiting for your kits that it's taking forever... It's because it is.

I'm still waiting on the decals before I begin to ship, and I have about 30 models just packed and waiting. Anyhoo, I just wanted to let everyone know that all is going very well otherwise, and I will send your models out the very instand the decals arrive.

My sincerest apologies for the delay. :(

Hey everyone.

If it seems to those of you waiting for your kits that it's taking forever... It's because it is.

I'm still waiting on the decals before I begin to ship, and I have about 30 models just packed and waiting. Anyhoo, I just wanted to let everyone know that all is going very well otherwise, and I will send your models out the very instand the decals arrive.

My sincerest apologies for the delay. :(

Thanks for the update. Soon...

Well, that's not exactly what I meant, but I know... you added ball joint setups, but howhard would it be to add a real socket that would stay articulated after finishing?

Depends primarily on your level of modelling skill. With a little dremelling it souldn't be too much trouble. The most difficult part will be the knee joint, which wasn't really designed as a "joint" on the kit... You could always replace that with a homemade flexible "boot" of some sort.