Gunpod for VF-11B (from Mac+) pics?

grebo guru

Ahoy all,

I can't seem to find any pictures of the gunpod used by Isamu's VF-11B in the beginning of Macross Plus. Y'know, the one with the bayonet. Does anyone have any pictures of it? A hi-res scan of b&w lineart would be ideal...

Anyone?

Thanks!

Grebo

I don't think I've ever seen an actual line drawing of the gunpod with it's bayonet out, but I may have a pic of the pod itself.

Here are the pics I have. One BW Line Art the other a screen shot.

post-401-1162504283_thumb.gif

post-401-1162504292_thumb.jpg

Edited by briscojr84

Yeah, that's the VF-11C gunpod alright. The VF-11B's is more complex. I coulda sworn I've seen line art for it somewhere... but I don't actually have it. I figure if anyone would, it'd be someone here.

Thanks, though!

Are you sure that isn't the VF-11C gunpod?

Neither my "This is animation special: Macross Plus" nor "Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works" have it. In fact, only the later book has the VF-11's gun pod tucked into the Macross 7, VF-11C section.

Of course, this doesn't mean that it doesn't exist (My copy of the Macross Plus Movie artbook is on the other side of the pacific.) That said, IMHO it is doubtful that a seperate version exists. Simply because the VF-11 in both series is a background element - why spend more time on it, when one could embellish the main elements of the two shows?

The VF-11B's gunpod is quite different from a C's (it's not just a C's with a bayonet), and with the B's gunpod being fairly heavily featured in Ep 1 of the OVA, there should certainly be some official artwork SOMEWHERE of it. I mean, there's multiple views of the door hinges for the connectors for the sound booster of Mylene's valk. Surely the VF-11B's gunpod deserves lineart.

Yah. I'm almost certain I've seen the lineart somewhere. Unfortunaely, I think it was in a magazine (Newtype or AX or something). And no, it's not in the Macross Plus movie artbook either... I have that book and I checked. (Besides, the scene were that gunpod is used isn't in the movie, IIRC.)

The VF-11B's gunpod is quite different from a C's (it's not just a C's with a bayonet), and with the B's gunpod being fairly heavily featured in Ep 1 of the OVA, there should certainly be some official artwork SOMEWHERE of it. I mean, there's multiple views of the door hinges for the connectors for the sound booster of Mylene's valk. Surely the VF-11B's gunpod deserves lineart.

The only other place it could be (if it exists) is in the Macross Plus: Game Edition guidebook or Kawamori Design Works vol.2.

Neither of the Kawamori Design Works books has the VF-11B gunpod. I have both and neither have it. TheLoneWolf's 1st guess may have it. This copy of This is Animation does not have it.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/plus_tia.htm

These might.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/...plusperfect.htm

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/plus_movie_tia.htm

If neither of these have it, then you'll need to do magazine hunting.

I think those model kits might be the only place that have it. It's not in the Macross Plus: Game Edition, nor Shoji Kawamori Design Works (the design works vol.2???)

Today, I just got "This is Animation: Macross 7 TV animation materials", and it has the lineart that's shown above.

I believe that the gun pod is not a Kawamori design, but a Kazutaka Miyatake design (not, it's not in his book, as most of the things he did for VFs (cockpits, gun pods, missiles, etc.,) show up in "Shouji Kawamori Macross Design Works" next to their relevant VFs.

W00t! Graham and Valkyrie to the rescue!! I hope both o' you guys come through... Now I'm really eager to see if there'll be any difference.

I have it. I'll get it scanned at the weekend.

The only place I've seen it published is in the instruction sheet for Retppu's 1/72 VF-11B battroid resin kit.

I'll try and get it scanned tomorrow.

You guys rock. Thank you thank you! Now if you guys can actually scan the pics at hi res (300dpi @ 100% size) I can die a happy man...

Thanks again. I can hardly wait!

Grebo

Spiffy.

I've always wondered this, though... Where's the magazine fit, and how large is it? It doesn't seem like there's much room to fit a suitable amount of ammo for a chain-gun...

~Luke

Ammo, in gunpods, is generally around the barrel. With the VF-11, it is clearly seen at the start of Eps. 01 when Isamu ejects the spent ammo cartridge, and replaces it with a fully loaded one (mounted on the rear of the arm shield.)

If I'm not mistaken, the gun pod of the VF-11 carries 200 rounds (though it could be anywhere from 400 to 600 rounds! It's the GU-11 that definitely carries 200 rounds.) Not much when one considers that the GU-11 fires at a rate of 1,200 rounds per minute. Even with 600 rounds, that's only 30 seconds of continuous fire... doesn't Isamu do something like that when he pounds that one power suit from behind?

200 rounds is not entirely unusual in an aviation context, and if the GU-11 fires 1,200 rounds a minute thats quite low for a gatling-type weapon (the famous 20mm Vulcan is often quoted as going up to 6,000 rounds/minute!); IIRC the F-15 Eagle carries about 600-or so rounds in a drum magazine; many European and Russian aircraft carry between 125 - 200 rounds, typically for single-barrelled, larger calibre guns.

Even the .50 calibre machine gun of WWII fame was typically fed by magazines holding about 300 or so rounds.

Mind you, the GU-11 is a big gun - 55mm, 3-barrels, so thats quite a good rate-of-fire. Remember: short, controlled bursts! :)

If I'm not mistaken, the gun pod of the VF-11 carries 200 rounds (though it could be anywhere from 400 to 600 rounds! It's the GU-11 that definitely carries 200 rounds.) Not much when one considers that the GU-11 fires at a rate of 1,200 rounds per minute. Even with 600 rounds, that's only 30 seconds of continuous fire... doesn't Isamu do something like that when he pounds that one power suit from behind?

We don't know how many rounds a VF-11's gunpod holds. All we do know is that it is a 30mm 6-barrel unit. So it may carry more rounds compared to the GU-11, but it makes up for the large round with (most likely) a greater rate-of-fire.

We don't know how many rounds a VF-11's gunpod holds. All we do know is that it is a 30mm 6-barrel unit. So it may carry more rounds compared to the GU-11, but it makes up for the large round with (most likely) a greater rate-of-fire.

Actually the move to smaller rounds means that most likely more ammunition is a viable option while still maintaining the penetrating power necessary to overcome the advances in defensive materials and energy armor used on the Valkyries. So it's likely the VF-11 Gunpod has more ammunition than the old GU-11s. It's likely that muzzle velocities and munitions material play a more significant role in future gunpods, leading towards more destructive guns with smaller rounds propelled at higher velocities. They probably took advances used in the Defender Destroid, which had insane muzzle velocities of 3300 m/s for a 78 mm round. Like the miniaturization of various OverTechnologies like the Pin-Point Barrier system into a fighter sized version, advances in projectile weaponry no doubt lead to the adoption of smaller munitions that were more destructive, but also allowed for more ammunition.

Edited by Mr March

• 4 weeks later...

In my own RPG I of course needed to put some numbers to this gunpod so after some consultation and the such I used 2400 rpm and 600 rounds in each magazine.

One question I do have is how exactly does the feed for that kind of magazine work?

He does change it right before shooting down the last enemy. THe clip is ejected from the top of the gun pod and he replaces it with a spare. I just watched it. I could not see where he pulled the spare from but the clip is definetly on top of the pod.

He does change it right before shooting down the last enemy. THe clip is ejected from the top of the gun pod and he replaces it with a spare. I just watched it. I could not see where he pulled the spare from but the clip is definetly on top of the pod.

The spare magazines are mounted to the back of the shield.

In the OVA version you can clearly see him eject the old magazine and then slide the gun upwards or downwards [agh, can't remember at the moment] on the back of the shield, I don't know if the movie version shows this or not.

Edited by briscojr84

It's a detachable magazine yes, but you can't really call it a drum magazine.

Graham

It appears to be more like a half-drum. The top piece, which I'm assuming is the ammunition cartridge, appears to be a half-cylinder. It's a bit hard to see details given the scan. Any chances we could get a better scan? Perhaps a hi-res png or tiff file? :) I have to try :p

I've sometimes seen magazines like that described as "helical" magazines. Drum magazines usually bring to mind the famous round magazine of the 1920s era Tommy Gun, or the horizontally-positioned magazine of a Lewis gun (or a Zaku!). Mind you, the 20mm Vulcan is often described as having a drum magazine, even though it looks to me more like a barrel!

I've sometimes seen magazines like that described as "helical" magazines. Drum magazines usually bring to mind the famous round magazine of the 1920s era Tommy Gun, or the horizontally-positioned magazine of a Lewis gun (or a Zaku!). Mind you, the 20mm Vulcan is often described as having a drum magazine, even though it looks to me more like a barrel!

Calico's use the helical drums.