Nausicaa

So that anime I have been trying to track down is called Nausicaa!!!!???????!!!!!! Cool, Can anyone recommend somwhere in the Los Angeles area where I could buy this on dvd? Also is there a english language version out there or is it only english subtitled? thank you very much!!!!!

So that anime I have been trying to track down is called Nausicaa!!!!???????!!!!!! Cool, Can anyone recommend somwhere in the Los Angeles area where I could buy this on dvd? Also is there a english language version out there or is it only english subtitled? thank you very much!!!!!

There is a bastardized english dub called Warriors of the Wind, and it blows chunks.

There's an excellent comparison between the Nausicaa version and the Warriors version HERE.

The thing that gets me is the cover to Warriors of the Wind. The person in charge of this obviously thought that a movie with a girl as the hero wouldn't fly, so Nausicaa (Zandra) is relegated to the top-right with a poor rendition of the Mehve.

Meanwhile, the only other thing seen in the movie is the God Soldier (whom is incredibly out of scale).

Other than that, the guy holding up the gun, the "robot thing wearing a cloak", the beast they're riding on and (for God's sake) the dude on the flying horse have absolutely nothing to do with the movie.

Silly Americans... always taking a perfectly good story and screwing it up (RT, Battle of the Planets, Warriors of the Wind).

This, of course, was the prevelant attitude in the 70's and 80's. That American children could not be subjected to, let alone understand, the stories involved and their sometimes mature nature.

post-26-1065724897_thumb.jpg

Warriors of the Wind, crappy adaptation as it may be, and robotech were what introduced me to anime as a little kid. HBO used to play w.o.t.w. A LOT, and i was mesmerized by it. i would stay up late, wake up early, whatever to catch it on tv. mind you, i was maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time. since then, i have developed a greater appreciation for the entire spectrum of anime, but i haven't seen w.o.t.w. (or nausicaa) in almost 20 years. I'd love to see the full, original version.

Edited by combined arms

I've heard rumors that we may see a Nausicaa US release early next year. And for the love of Pete people, if you're going to import it, get the real thing. Support the artists, not f*cking organized crime. Especially when they go through the trouble of putting English subs on the DVDs.

Get the R2 version I mean ALL Ghibli movies have sub's to try to ward off bootlegs. While i don't have R2 or boots of the movies many fo the Ghibli movies can be bought here in NA. The only ones not out are

Porco Rosso- Coming out soon (Great movie)

Whisper of the heart- Also coming out soon

After these two I assume it'll be Nausicaa and Pom poko

Then we have to wait for Only Yesterday, My Neighbours the Yamada's, ocean waves and the cat returns.

I'll wait for the Disney release.

Personally, I don't particularly care for Disney. But I think they've done a fantastic job with Mayazaki's movies so far.

As long as there's a sub track along with the so-so dub, I'm a happy man! :D

I don't know that Disney will ever release this one. The animation doesn't quite hold up to the newer Miyazaki stuff, or even Porco Rosso or Totoro. Don't get me wrong - I loved the movie, but I just think it's a little dated for Disney to take an interest in it. Who knows.

BTW, if any of you ever get a chance to read the original manga Nausicaa was based on, by all means do it. The movie was kind of a mish-mash of different parts of the original story - kind of like DYRL is of the Macross series. Stuff was changed, major characters left out, lots and lots of detail and backstory you just won't get without a longer telling. It was really thoughtfully written, too. I couldn't recommend it more.

Link

I'll wait for the Disney release.

Personally, I don't particularly care for Disney. But I think they've done a fantastic job with Mayazaki's movies so far.

As long as there's a sub track along with the so-so dub, I'm a happy man! :D

The Japanese release is Disney too.

I don't know that Disney will ever release this one. The animation doesn't quite hold up to the newer Miyazaki stuff, or even Porco Rosso or Totoro. Don't get me wrong - I loved the movie, but I just think it's a little dated for Disney to take an interest in it. Who knows.

BTW, if any of you ever get a chance to read the original manga Nausicaa was based on, by all means do it. The movie was kind of a mish-mash of different parts of the original story - kind of like DYRL is of the Macross series. Stuff was changed, major characters left out, lots and lots of detail and backstory you just won't get without a longer telling. It was really thoughtfully written, too. I couldn't recommend it more.

Link

Disney's already got the rights to it, and popular opinion seems to be that they will release it sometime. But probably not before they've released some of the newer Miyazaki projects.

I've got the Nausicaa comics boxset as well. It is awesome, and wonderfully drawn.

I actually prefer the movie, even though it's drastically cut down relative to the manga. Why? Because the manga seems to run out of steam about 2/3-3/4 of the way through, and then gets wrapped up a huge amount of dialogue and hand-waving. Up to that point, it's fantastic, though.

I actually prefer the movie, even though it's drastically cut down relative to the manga. Why? Because the manga seems to run out of steam about 2/3-3/4 of the way through, and then gets wrapped up a huge amount of dialogue and hand-waving. Up to that point, it's fantastic, though.

Actually the movie was released even before the Manga was finished. Miyazaki has said that he wants people to consider the Manga and the movies two seperate entities.

As to the manga, I have it too and I loved it.

As to the lack of 5.1 in the movies, some of the older titles weren't recorded in 5.1. So you may have to live with that... I can recall that Spirited away was in 5.1 in both English and Japanese...