Macross DYRL...In English!

Hikuro

Well the Macross Zero...In English thread is gone, I think it went poof when the site got hacked couple months back.

In continueing traditions here I'm makin a thread here dedicated to the progress of DYRL in English. I've actually been approached by many fans of the series and movie asking if I would do it, and it's really been in the works for many years, but I'm finally getting to it.

So far I have a 90% cast up even down to the extras, I'm also recruiting new cast members for important roles such as Max Jenius and Hayao Kahazaki.

TEASER TRAILERThis would be a slightly edited Teaser Trailer which I remixed into English featuring myself as Ichijo Hikaru, and Maria Vu (Aries in M0) as Lynn Minmay.

And for your viewing pleasure a small sample clip of how the movie is sounding thus far.

MACROSS DYRL DEMO

Ichijo Hikaru by myself, and Allison Rose (Sara Gnome) as Hayase Misa.

I'm using Windows Movie Maker and Cool Edit Pro to mix the movie together and adding nifty lil vocal effects.

So watcha guys think thus far for a fandub piece?

Well the movies are now mixed via Windows Movie Maker and Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (which I'm using like crazy now) however I'm noticing a problem with WMM. See, after so many rendering jobs the video quality starts to get crappy, so when I finish all the mixing I make a pure audio file and I mute the original sound off the Master copy and place the new audio into it making it a superior professional like dub.

However for some reason, when I do this (it started after M0) the audio would lag behind the original master by 3 or 4 seconds....usually I fix this problem by waiting till a faded cut scene and then cut the audio and reinsert it....but that's not working anymore.

I checked with DYRL putting in the audio with the master copy of Chapters 1-5.....and the audio is lagging behind by nearly 5 seconds....I think WMM is killing a few frames at a time and thus screwing up the finished product.

==============================================

Now about how I do manage to get my stuff on to DVD....

Because I use WMM and it creates a WMV file, most DVD burning programs reject it. So I use Virtual Dub to go ahead and convert the WMV to DIVX at the highest setting which sometimes a 30 minute project will turn into like a gig file. Then I use VSO to DVD to turn the AVI formated movie into a VSO.

Following that I use InterVideo DVD, divide the movie into chapters, giving it an animated menu title and burn at the lowest setting to keep it as high of quality as possible. When I'm done I have a professional looking DVD that not even ADV could try and make.

So far the only DVD I've made successfully would be the first Episode of Macross Zero which is still regarded as my top dubbing abilities......however I seem to have more popular hits on Gundam Seed Astray which should be well over 3,000 hits on Youtube.com

And within the next week or two I'll have Yu-Gi-Oh! Series 0 the movie completed which I tried to mix to the best of my abilities from scratch.....bout 3% of the original audio was used, the rest I had to scrounge up to use.

Right now DYRL is probably going to be the toughest dub I'm ever going to face with Macross Zero on hold......I got alot of characters to fill in, and I got too hunt down alot of SFX's and properly mix them in.

I've got a cast of atleast 12 people right now taking part making this the biggest cast I've had thus far.

This is some cool stuff. You're doing a great job so far. I especially like the attention paid to how the voices should sound (IE radio, reverb, and so on). What I am wondering is how you separate the background sounds from the original Japanese voices.

As far as the audio and video getting off sync. Yeah, it might just be frame drop, witch in more advanced programs you can normally stop.

Well I remix the entire audio from scratch, I mute the original track then I place in new SFX's as close to the originals as possible. Some of the ones you hear in this dub come from 5 different animes like Gundam, Tekkaman, Macross TV, Macross 7 and DYRL itself.

I'm currently in the process of getting Adobe Premier cause apparently that's the best for video editing.

Well I remix the entire audio from scratch, I mute the original track then I place in new SFX's as close to the originals as possible. Some of the ones you hear in this dub come from 5 different animes like Gundam, Tekkaman, Macross TV, Macross 7 and DYRL itself.

I'm currently in the process of getting Adobe Premier cause apparently that's the best for video editing.

Both my dad and I both use Premiere for our stuff, but I've also heard pretty good things about Apple's Final Cut software. But since its from Apple, it will probably cost eleventy billion dollars.

I got some skills in that program, if you can get a copy of it I could help you out.

Too much free time on my hands, send me a PM. My internet is down kind of though...

I got the program lastnight, looking it over and seeing what I can do with it, it looks pretty hard with all the sections I can use and what not.....but because of the loss of frame rates on WMV rendering, I'm going to be doing seperate audio files and seeing if I can put those on and the original Raw video on Adobe and see how that looks.

^_^ I got lots of time to play around with it since it's my weekend.

Wow this was rather interesting, I took each seperate mixed portion (since I do them in sets) and placed them in Adobe, so far there are 6 sets of Audio files inserted.......each one looked to be right when it came to timing.

So I went ahead and rendered the audio and placed it in the clean video and wham! it all came together brilliantly....I think for now on I'll use Adobe for some video stuff and all my audio combining needs so I don't loose frame rates from all the rendering of each set.

This turned out really well for my first night of experimentations.

Hikuro, freaking awesome!!!!!! I'm sorry I haven't seen this before, I usually don't come down to these threads! OUTSTANDING!!

So, did you only do the first episode of Zero?

Chris

Hikuro, freaking awesome!!!!!! I'm sorry I haven't seen this before, I usually don't come down to these threads! OUTSTANDING!!

So, did you only do the first episode of Zero?

No kidding, sometimes I forget to come by here from time to time to see what's up.

But yeah I sadly only got the first Episode released, and I'm having issues with Episode 2 cause so many of the cast members are slacking off with personal issues...I should of had episode 3 released by now, and Episode 4 is the making......the original Goal was too complete Zero before I started DYRL......oh well.

Looks and sounds very professional, from the teaser, though I don't care for Misa's voice too whiny for my tastes. Hikaru sounded great though.

Thanks, I should have another trailer up hopefully within the next few weeks or so.

Misa's voice will sound more commanding as the movie progresses, I may have her redo that area of the film where she chews Hikaru's ass off on the bridge to sound more powerful.

And thank you again for the comments on Hikaru's voice, I really enjoy playing him he's one favorite character in any anime series I've ever watched, he's always number one.

No kidding, sometimes I forget to come by here from time to time to see what's up.

But yeah I sadly only got the first Episode released, and I'm having issues with Episode 2 cause so many of the cast members are slacking off with personal issues...I should of had episode 3 released by now, and Episode 4 is the making......the original Goal was too complete Zero before I started DYRL......oh well.

Thanks, I should have another trailer up hopefully within the next few weeks or so.

Misa's voice will sound more commanding as the movie progresses, I may have her redo that area of the film where she chews Hikaru's ass off on the bridge to sound more powerful.

And thank you again for the comments on Hikaru's voice, I really enjoy playing him he's one favorite character in any anime series I've ever watched, he's always number one.

Wow...the dub was pretty good when looking at the trailer. Nice job. :)

I can see Adobe is working for you pretty well, just a warning to not keep it on for long hours, like a whole day, since its going to keep on eating up virtual memory till you got none and crash your computer....Just a warning. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm looking for a new Roy Fokker now, the original actor can't turn in lines and keeps making promises he can't commit too anymore and he hasn't been online for a rather long time.

So if anyone is interested http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/pm/?id=105 this is a link to show the auditions.

Howoever if you think you got what it takes go ahead and email me some sort of a Roy Fokker Voice Over line and you might be the next Roy Fokker for the movie and possibly Macross Zero.

Hey Hikuro, I sent you a pm, but although I am here in the L.A. area, I have had professional voice acting training, and have had several auditions for a few anime shows (one I made, but wasn't willing to move to Texas for a long time). I can do voice work pretty well, and I have some knowledge, not a lot about the mixing software. The only audio software I've ever used was Liquid audio, and Q-base, which is high end audio recording tools, but might be more for music recording. Anyways, PM me if you need a demo or what you'd like to hear/see for any more parts.

Well for ages now I`ve skipped past this thread thinking nah you wont want to look at it....

I checked it out today as I had some time due to me from work, All I can say is wow, You do realise that you have already got past the standard that RowblowDreck left us all in the 80`s. All that and your not even finished.

I`d love to be able to help you in some way although as English people tend to get cast as bad guys due to the supposed posh sounding voices theres probably not much room in DYRL for me.

You mentioned that your using sound affects from other Anime and such, are there any areas that you missing in. Maybe you could post here and MW users could help out. I for one have more than my far share of SF and anime DVD`s etc. I also have some sound processing Software. I have a dat recorder so could get some real life sounds on my travels for you too if you like.

Hey Hikuro, I sent you a pm, but although I am here in the L.A. area, I have had professional voice acting training, and have had several auditions for a few anime shows (one I made, but wasn't willing to move to Texas for a long time). I can do voice work pretty well, and I have some knowledge, not a lot about the mixing software. The only audio software I've ever used was Liquid audio, and Q-base, which is high end audio recording tools, but might be more for music recording. Anyways, PM me if you need a demo or what you'd like to hear/see for any more parts.

Got your PM's and course been Pming you back, can't wait to hear what you got, I like using those with the actual experince cause they can understand what I'm trying to go for, and understand what quality is.

You'll be the third "Experinced" VA I'll have on the cast.

Well for ages now I`ve skipped past this thread thinking nah you wont want to look at it....

You have no clue how many times I've heard that from people cause it's an English Dub.

Lots of people get the notion "It's in English, so it's going to suck." And ya know, a quarter of the time they're right. I don't really blame the actors, I blame the ADR Directors and producers etc....cause they don't have squat of knowledge of the show, they think they do but they don't.

I`d love to be able to help you in some way although as English people tend to get cast as bad guys due to the supposed posh sounding voices theres probably not much room in DYRL for me.

Yeah that does somewhat happen. Although I have used English people for good guys like from my Gundam SEED Astray dubs from few years back, I pictured Liam with his gramar and attitude to be rather English/British like, and bam I managed to get a guy straight from there who made the role incredible.

Same thing with Elijah from the Serpents tail, unfortuantly he was no longer available so I had to go with another guy.

But I've got LOTS of room for extras, and generally extras get Civilian/Pilot/Zentradie/Meltrandie roles pending on who they are....when this current cast finishes up the first 13 minutes, I can start checking over the script and then put people into the extras like reporters, and civilians for when Minmay and Hikaru are found......since most of the next 10 minutes revolves around them and their developing relationship.

You mentioned that your using sound affects from other Anime and such, are there any areas that you missing in. Maybe you could post here and MW users could help out. I for one have more than my far share of SF and anime DVD`s etc. I also have some sound processing Software. I have a dat recorder so could get some real life sounds on my travels for you too if you like.

In specifics, it would be City SFX's...people roaming around jibber jabbering and cars driving on the roads, those are the toughest things to gather cause for 1) I live no where near a city 2)I don't have portable equipment to get the sounds I need.

Anime wise, for something so specific from the 80's....it's really hard to gather the right SFX's...but I think I've bout got what I needed since I can use the original Macross recordings from both DYRL and the TV series.

But if I need anything I'll let ya know. It'd be GREAT to have MWer's to help out, they're the fans I wanna reach out too.

Odd question for you, how much cursing will be in this translation. i.e. will it be kid friendly? I ask because my step son has become enamored with the series, but the only English translation I have is the ADV which, as we all know is filled with cursing.

And no one came to ask the Da' man himself?

Well if you think you got the voice for the character you're more then welcome to try. Really anyone from MW who has a mic that doesn't pick up alot of feedback and knows how to atleast act without sounding flat, is more then welcome to get a role as something.

Seriously I can't stress this enough, for alot of mecha shows example as Macross, there are LOTS of male voice talents.....and lots of Ameature male VA's have this tendency that if it isn't the main role or something cool and well known, they don't go for it, it's one of the problems I have because I tend to lean towards 80's shows that were a big hit for the X gen groups like ourselves who still to this day go "WOW......that was so cool" When we watch those old shows.

Odd question for you, how much cursing will be in this translation. i.e. will it be kid friendly? I ask because my step son has become enamored with the series, but the only English translation I have is the ADV which, as we all know is filled with cursing.

I'm giving this a PG Raiting, no higher then PG-13....now I'm not saying I'm cutting out the gore, like Miriya's skull crunching or anything like that......but the worst word you'll hear is "Sl-l1t" like......maybe 3 times in the entire film, and B1tch maybe twice (still working on the second half of the script) via Hikaru commenting bout Misa, and Damn maybe here and there. So I'd give it no higher then PG-13, same as ADV's stuff.

I'm also looking for a guy to do Kaifun, the one who was originally going to do it can't because of his lack of time and his involvement in my other projects.

Again, I'm not looking for anything "special" for Kaifun since he only appears in a few scenes and his only big lime light scene is just before the Zentradie capture the group.

I may also be looking for an Exadore, it'll be to difficult for me to do the role since I'm tied up with Ichijo myself.....shocking still how I get more approvals over Ichijo then I do for Shin......but I don't really mind I like Ichijo more.

So everyones welcome to help just send me a PM or shout out here!

Hey just an idea, if I end up getting a fair amount of Male VA's trying out for Roy, but maybe have a poll, judged by MW'ers who pick out the best Roy Fokker Voice.......I've only recieved one audition today, but if we can get multiples, would that be interesting or just blah?

Hey just an idea, if I end up getting a fair amount of Male VA's trying out for Roy, but maybe have a poll, judged by MW'ers who pick out the best Roy Fokker Voice.......I've only recieved one audition today, but if we can get multiples, would that be interesting or just blah?

If you do make em all mystery so theres no chance of favoratisum. We can just pic the one that sounds right.

If you do make em all mystery so theres no chance of favoratisum. We can just pic the one that sounds right.

yes it would be a blind vote if I can get enough actors to audition. Still only got one guy, no clue who it is though...

No clue who it was that auditioned, but I can probably find out soon. I'm keeping the email handy, my guess it was someone here in MW seeing from the Email Addy.

Incidentally, where can one get your Mac0 episode'?

Good question, actually if you go thru my youtube video files you can find them there.

But because I'm such a nice guy and that the original thread is gone :D I'll give you guys the links to view M0 in English.

Macross Zero EP1A

Macross Zero Episode 1 B

Macross Zero Episode 1 C

Macross Zero Episode 1 D (conclusion)

Thats a really good job you did there.

Seems natural.

Is there a chance to get this other than on Youtube.

With Youtube arent you limmited by file size,

It would be great to have this at DVD quality. Im sure with the software and your skills it could be done.

I know that I have some software that can do it, with dual layer disks too.

Once again Great job.

Thanks, yeah I'd like to put it on DVD and I do have a master copy of it on DVD with original cover art by a fellow MW'er and I'm talking it out with someone I work with on other fandub projects like Casshern on doing a fully functional animated menu like what the pro's do.

I did get another audition for Roy, so it's being saved so when the time comes and I get enough auditions in, I'll do up a poll or something if I can and let you guys decide.

Well to audition yes, you just read the script and use your best acting method....I do have voice samples of those lines for auditions so if you feel more comfortable in listening in, finding that perfect pitch and tone and style then that's cool.

If you recieved the role you auditioned for, or comfortable with another role that's open which I feel would better suit you, you'll get a link to download the movie, with the script and all information you need to get started, you record your lines on MP3 or WAV format, send 'em back to me, and I go over them with the video I have mixed and decide if that's what I wanted or contact you again and tell you how the scene your line should of gone and have you redo it to that spec or better.

However just a note, that if someone recieved a Zentradie/Meltrandie role, because I'm going and carefully writing the Zentradie language per the original voices, I will be EXTREMELY picky, I went thru all that trouble to get it as close as possible by sitting there sometimes for 15-20 minutes just for one area of Zentradie dialouge....the actor should do the same.

Edited by Hikuro

Hey, just wanted to let you know I'm still wanting to get involved. I was hooking up my mic to my computer the other day (last week) and it's a really bad mic. Very static sounding and not anything close to what you would want. I will be getting a new mic this friday, and will send off to you the .wav files so you can hear them. I'd be happy to get whatever you wanna throw my way, and I have a roommate that is very interested himself. He does the Zentran voices pretty well. But for those, are you gonna use the Zentran language, or are you translating that as well?