I'm shutting down the decal and sticker business

Anasazi37

No worries, fulcy. The word about ALPS support is spreading slowly. Here is what their website says:

"On March 31, 2007 ALPS will discontinue all support of the MD Series printers in North America. This will include: Technical Support, the Repair Exchange Program and Supply Sales.

"We are making this official announcement as early as possible to allow our customer's to exercise their options on their personal and business operations.

"We thank you for your loyal business and hope this early notice reduces a lot of the inconvenience you may encounter."

The announcement is buried a few levels down on their site, though, so not everyone has seen it yet. Those that have found out are generally deciding to go one of two directions: shut down or start hoarding. I chose the former route because of other obligations, but I know a few decal producers that are buying up any printers they can find in order to keep their businesses going as long as possible after the repair program shuts down. That might extend things a few years, but I see the ALPS printing community going the direction of Mad Max pretty quickly as supplies dwindle. :(

Hopefully another suitable printing method can be found in the near future.

I guess I don't need to worry about putting your decals up on my site anymore :( This sucks, and I'm sorry I wasn't more responsive to the whole situation - was busy with my own marriage too (congrats! ). I wonder if Samuel Decal would be interested in producing your decals? I believe they also use an ALPS printer, but they've made no mention on their website about having to shut down (though, that's not stopping me from placing an order through them very soon).

http://www.samueldecal.com/

Not to hijack your thread either - but if anyone is interested in ordering decals from Samuel, message me - I am getting an order together, that I'd like to place by the beginning of December - so if anyones interested, let me know!

Thanks so much for all your contributions Devin!

Congrats on the marriage... having a new little around the house really eats into my time - I too think my hobby days are going to be on hold for a few years - so I totally understand your lack of time. Beware :p its only a matter of time when you come to know what having no time really is!! :D

I would just like to thank you for all your hard work over the years, I personally couldn't of done so much of my toys and models without your help and your wonderful decals. I hope to finish off the Atmospheric Booster and the Yamato GBP-01 with your decals this winter and post it as a homage to your work and dedication.

I hope we stay in touch, and maybe... someday... we can return to the fray...

Best of luck.

Wm

Devin What Software have you used and what type of printer did you have. And what are the materials you used for the decals. I have nothing to do and I need the money I happen to be aGraphic Design major who is having trouble looking for a job in that field so I might be interested in taking over, so E-mail me.

J. Russell AKA, VF-18S Hornet.

There's a good ongoing discussion relating to all of your questions over in the Customizing forum:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=20605

:)

Devin What Software have you used and what type of printer did you have. And what are the materials you used for the decals. I have nothing to do and I need the money I happen to be aGraphic Design major who is having trouble looking for a job in that field so I might be interested in taking over, so E-mail me.

J. Russell AKA, VF-18S Hornet.

I guess I don't need to worry about putting your decals up on my site anymore :( This sucks, and I'm sorry I wasn't more responsive to the whole situation - was busy with my own marriage too (congrats! ). I wonder if Samuel Decal would be interested in producing your decals? I believe they also use an ALPS printer, but they've made no mention on their website about having to shut down (though, that's not stopping me from placing an order through them very soon).

http://www.samueldecal.com/

Not to hijack your thread either - but if anyone is interested in ordering decals from Samuel, message me - I am getting an order together, that I'd like to place by the beginning of December - so if anyones interested, let me know!

Are you sure they do Macross Decals? All I see is a lot of Gundam decals, looks good though if I had a gundam model kit.

Hi Devin,

Just like to join in and say thanks for the minmay guard decals. Best of luck with your phD.

Regards,

kk

PS: this is a bit off topic, but following from the discussion above regarding samual decal.

I have just contacted them (to buy some virgin road decal) and I ask them if we provide the scan, are they willing to print decal set for us.

I know many of us here need decal for 1/48 custom (and I myself might need one set for my UD VF-1), that is why I asked him.

He said that he can do it if we provide 600dpi scans.

Seems like a posibility. Not sure how much he will charge, but if we pool our order together, maybe we can get a good deal.

I have never buy from them before this, so not sure what sort of quality they give (hopefully as good as Devin's).