1/55 super deformed skyfire

kidkorrupt

this term we have a rapid prototyping class and the project is robots.

PERFECT!!

i winged my presentation and sold my instructor on the idea to make a transforming skyfire, the whole twist on it would be it was super deformed so i wouldn't be straight copying somebody elses design.

when complete it will be printed out in 3-D with ABS plastic using a FDM (fused deposition modeling) machine.

the due date for a fully painted and detailed model is in 7 weeks.

these are the current solidworks files, i still have to do arm and shoulder joints, work on some tolerances and its ready to print!!

the cost for printing is a horrible $11 a cubic inch and i'm going to be setting up a paypal account to accept donations for the printing. on the title page for this class i will be making a "contributors" section with your name/handle but ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh have to finish the model first.

my question is if this sort of thing something you all would donate a couple hard earned dollars to? if not i'll try going around to some hobby/toy shops and getting some donations in exchange for some advertising in my presentation/portfolio....the owner of giant robot magazine/shops will be at our final.

post-571-1161907649_thumb.jpg

Edited by kidkorrupt

KK What a way to come back after your time away from us.

I have the exact same pictures from siebertron my self along with many stills etc. After my super posable 1/55 (shamless plug) I was intending to tackle a scratch built Skyfire in 1/55.

My brothers department at work has just got one of those fdm machines. I have already asked about him making me bits. They are expensive to run but he says he can slip small bits in on bigger jobs from time to time. By small he means couple of inches square.

When the time comes I may take him up on the offer.

Am I to presumptuous to expect a casting or two to be made from your work ? I`d happily give you a few bucks to see it done and a few more for a recast.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool box art KK You do realisee you now may have to SD all of them.

Just slightly off topic. What ever became of your SD Vf-1`s. I only ask as I have just bought some Banpresto ones of Valk009 and a Bandai kit one off eBay. How rare are these now and is it worth considering recasting any so I can make customs ?

for the jet mode i got as close to the cartoon reference as i could while maintaining the SD look and making it transformable.

today i figured out a way to make the chest intakes face the correct directions in both modes wihtout having to pull them off...but because of the proportions the arms and head have to be removed for jet mode.

post-571-1165139358_thumb.jpg

for recasts i don't think anyone would want to pay the $190 bill. thats the price at no profit and it comes out as plaster of paris, very fragile and it IMPLODES when it comes in contact with water.

it needs about 4 hours of finishing with CA and a good 15 hours of sanding before its a decent part ready to be painted.

since i have the solidworks file and i'll be in asia for winter break ill see if this can be made for much cheaper.

post-571-1165139613_thumb.jpg

big F-

how much did you pay for the SD kits?

i've been out of collecting waaay too long, they were going for $30-$40 when i was collecting and i could find any one of the kits i wanted from the for sale section here and on ebay.

I think I paid £10 inc posting fo the Bandai Max kit and about £20 for the 3 figure ones ( a roy, a Hikaru with GBP and a Strike Hikaru, all are mint in box and have never been opened. Maybe I got a good deal.

Holy crap, that toy is huge!! At first I thought it was going to be as small as a JM, but now it look as big, if not bigger, than a 1/48. Do you think you can take some comparison shots?

Great work KK, good to see you're still into Macross...and uhh Jetfire :p

Will if Im not mistaken I see a part of a 1/55 bootleg (the part that holds the wings on to the backplate).

With that in mind you should be able to guess at the size. Im thinking somewhat shorter than a 1/55 but as wide in the chest area. kinda 1/55 with its limbs hacked off.

Im sure KK can fill in the details

i measured it off of a jetfire so it's the exact height of jetfire minus the antennaes but much bulkier, lol.

working on the styro, inserts, and packaging now. all nigghhtterrr time.

the clear thing in front is a laser cut autobot symbol with the details rastered in....the teacher wanted us to laser cut something.

the "styro" is 6 lb. yellow foam painted with fsc.

thanks nick for the template, i FINALLY figured out how to flip the chest vents the right way..instead of mounting onto the chest i mounted the hinge onto the hip bar so when you swing the legs back they face the cartoon accurate way...i did all that AFTER the god-awful-long alias renderings.

wish me luck guys! F, i heard today that the owner of giant robot is coming to our presentation.

g1 screencap showing chest vents:

IPB Image

post-571-1166066565_thumb.jpg

Edited by kidkorrupt