The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm unfamiliar with Godmars so I'll ask. Is there any relation between this and the Mighty Orbots? Because looking at that set, it sure does remind me of them.

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm unfamiliar with Godmars so I'll ask. Is there any relation between this and the Mighty Orbots? Because looking at that set, it sure does remind me of them.

No relation. Godmarz came out before Orbots.

From Wiki:

The Godmars toy would serve as the prototype for an unreleased Mighty Orbots toy. In addition, the Godmars series served as the prototype for the Mighty Orbots series albeit Godmars is a mature, anime version of Orbots.

The Godmars toy was released in the US Market with different names for six robots; Commandbot (Gaia), Giantbot (Sphinx), Uranus, Titan, Shin, and Ra were all named based on their Base Color with a "bot" Suffix (Ra was Bluebot for example)

I just got my first ever Soul of Chogokin toy - GX-06 Getter Robo!

I decided to start with this one, as Getter Robo is probably my favorite 'Giant Robot' from Japanese anime (aside from Macross stuff). So it was only natural to start my SOC collection from this wonderful piece.

First impression:

I LOVE the use of magnets here. It is so obvious, such a glaringly GOOD IDEA - that and the ratchet joints on the knees of Getter 1... I'm generally impressed by the quality of the entire set.

It's also proof that Die-Cast figures CAN work when done properly. I recall the utter tosh hasbo put out with their Titanium line - where the die cast metal parts were putting too much stress on the plastic components and the toy felt flimsy...

Here everything is truly perfect. The poseability is also perfect - Getter 2's arms are actually more poseable than Revoltech Shin Getter 2.

I can't wait to add God Mars, Zambot 3, Volts V and Dancouga to my collection (those are the ones I'm after next!)

Daimos is a definite "I want!" as well.

All in all - Soul of Chogokin are by far the best robot toys I've ever had.

The only thing which comes close to them, in my mind, are the Takara Masterpiece Transformers.

Very pleased with these guys.

VFTF1

EDIT: As for EVA-0whatever ... I too give a big MEH to this. I'm not "sick" of Evangelon - but I just don't find the mecha THAT appealing to begin with. Also, the sleek design just doesn't lend itself to SOC - SOC is meant to take impossible anime magic robots and make them real, die-cast figures.

It's always a fun surprise when SOC does this with old anime mecha that seemed impossible to put into "real life form" - but EVA suffers from coming out of the "more real robot than real!" 1990s - and since it's so well designed - it doesn't really give you that much of a "shock" when you see it in figure form. You're like "yeah - that's what it looks like."

Edited by VFTF1

I just got my first ever Soul of Chogokin toy - GX-06 Getter Robo!

Welcome to the club! I started my SOC addicition with the first Tetsujin 28 in 2004. I bought that based on the fact that it was T28 but once I beheld the superb engineering and amazing quality of SOC I started seeking out others. It wasn't until last year that I really went after the big guys and added Dancouga, Iron Gear and Zambot 3 to my collection. With Godmarz on the way I'll have to rethink my display area - too many big bots! :p

I guess I'm starting the other way around :) Going for the big guys first ... or second, third, fourth and fifth!

I really really want a Gunbuster SOC though - I took a look at some of the pics of that guy and he looks just amazing!

As for the quality and engineering - yikes! This really puts other companies to shame.

SOC is truly wonderful.

VFTF1

EDIT: There is only ONE criticism I have of SOC Getter Robo:

Bandai should have painted the trucks that carry the Rocket-Beds, and they should have painted the "base stand" which is also a very good mold of the actual rocket launch base.

Including little mini pilot figures would also have been a good idea.

Edited by VFTF1

VFTF1; glad you are enjoying the SOC line. These things are incredible! I have the Gunbuster, and it is magnificent... If I'm not careful, I can end up spending hours posing and re-posing it. :)

I also have a couple of the EVA 01 SOCs (yeah, I know; the EVA isn't even technically a mech, but I'm a fan of the series and the design). The standard version is actually pretty "meh"; inaccurate coloring and proportions, and the joints are very floppy. The SOC-Spec version, on the other hand, is very impressive-- it features removable armor, much of which is die-cast metal, which lets you pose the beast in standard or "unmasked" mode.

Right now, I'm waiting on the arrival of a SOC Raideen I preordered in March. From the pictures I've seen, this will be the crowning jewel of my collection! :D

SOC Eva-02 is my fav, until the Rebuild Eva-02 SPEC comes out. One thing that stands out is the heft of the SOC compared to the SPECs, very impressive and HIGHLY poseable. win win win

I also would like the gunbuster. But i hope there will be something else coming out cooler so i won't have to bother. :p

What is it? Does it transform? :)

No, it does have a lot of eupiment including guns that connect to it's chest by cables, a big wing pack thing, shield etc.

It's called the Heavy Metal L-Gaim, it was designed by Mamourou Nagano who is the mastermind of the five star stories saga/designs and has worked on Zeta Gundam & others as mecha designer.

It did have a little foldup hover bike doohicky that fitted inside the head but I dunno if Bandai is going to try and replicate that at this scale.

It did have a little foldup hover bike doohicky that fitted inside the head but I dunno if Bandai is going to try and replicate that at this scale.

Well, they're doing it for Jeeg. ^_^

:EDIT:

Granted Jeeg's entire head turns into a motorcycle.

Edited by eriku

I just found out that my SOC Raideen is on the way from BBTS! :D Now I have to hurry up and decide if I want to get the Deluxe version as well, before it sells out! :unsure:

I just looked a few minutes ago (I was tempted to get the deluxe as well) and it's now sold out. I'm sure they'll get more in though, they usually get a couple shipments of new SOCs.

XS-08 EVA-02 TV Version released.

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/viewthread...;extra=page%3D1

2456242594_0c46d32fb4.jpg2455413021_d4cecc853b.jpg

2456242444_7a681f1b90.jpg

Update: More pics.

Pls note that the photographer has used the wrong neck piece on the EVA in the 2 pics below. He is using the unarmoured head's neck turned 180 degrees rather than the proper reddish brown neck piece in these photos.

2455548673_05b5bba81d.jpg2455548781_7f79e439d2.jpg

2455548613_c9215e5241.jpg

2456242370_4fc8089c20.jpg

2456242302_0c92e45f89.jpg

Edited by IXTL

The one question on my mind before I purchase Unit 02.

Have they fixed or at least reinforced the wonky hip joints?

That problem was fixed ages ago. Only XS-01 EVA-01 TV Edition has the bad hip joint. XS-03 EVA-01 New Movie Ver. , XS-04 EVA-00 New Movie Ver. and Yahoo! Japan Exclusive 400% Synchro Ver. EVA-01 had perfect QC.

Totally badass. Thanks IXTL!

Sad that i cancelled, happy that i could be in a treat for waiting for the rebuild SPEC Eva-02.

Want some new weapons bandai!

I doubt the Rebuild version will have as many weapons as this one but it might come with the jet pack used in the air drop sequence that will be in the next movie. The head would also probably be resculpted to add in the horns on the top of the head and jaw/neck.

rebuildnigoukiae5.jpg

Edited by IXTL

Well, they're doing it for Jeeg. ^_^

:EDIT:

Granted Jeeg's entire head turns into a motorcycle.

True but the SPEC's are generally smaller then most SOC's (except the Eva's of course) but I don't actually know how big the L-Gaim is yet.

Daimos is looking good.

Does it come with that vintage one? And pleaaaassseeee tell me that's what the packaging looks like :)

I would so love that!

VFTF1

Sorry dude, but there's no chance of it coming with the vintage Daimos toy, it's just a seperate picture the blog owner put there, same with the comic cover.

I doubt the Rebuild version will have as many weapons as this one but it might come with the jet pack used in the air drop sequence that will be in the next movie. The head would also probably be resculpted to add in the horns on the top of the head and jaw/neck.

Ohh, i forgot about that pic with the boosters. Spose that would be cool.

I'd rather Eva-02 get a big ass No-Dachi with sheath that connects (line) middle of the back. :p That'd be filth.

TV series she went off, first episode they showed the Eva-02 just wows me every time.

I hope they wow us some more.

I dunno.... I still think the SoC Evas are way better looking, even if the SPEC ones a re a bit more posable.

The main reason I haven't taken much interest in the SPEC Evas is because I'm so completely satisfied with the SOC Evas. To me the size, colors, construction, weight (lots of diecast), accessories and articulation are perfect. I think the SPECs look great, as do the Revoltechs, but they're pretty much obsolete for me.