The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

I want one but I'm feeling kinda wary of buying any more expensive toys these days. Once brought they just seem to sit on the shelf since playing with them usually involves a heavy investment of time.

Even Gunbuster, my most anticiapted toy since Masterpiece Prime just stands stocially on it's launch pad.

I want Ideon too but again have the same nagging doubt that I wouldn't get much out of it after the intial noevelty. :(

Well, I was thinking of selling Gunbuster after month of displaying. While downsizing the display space in my house I decided to put it away in a closet.

For two months it sat there until I felt like pulling it out (blame Gurren Lagann), and boy did the novelty rekindle itself! I had forgotten how awesome the figure is and how fun it was to transform. All thoughts of selling it have gone away.

Long story short: I'm going to rotate the stuff on display every few months or so to keep it fresh.

Right now only Gunbuster and MP Starscream are out of their boxes and a leader movie Prime just arrived. Soon I'll reopen the 1/48 and the wave SDF and after that the Gundam stuff.

Well, I was thinking of selling Gunbuster after month of displaying. While downsizing the display space in my house I decided to put it away in a closet.

For two months it sat there until I felt like pulling it out (blame Gurren Lagann), and boy did the novelty rekindle itself! I had forgotten how awesome the figure is and how fun it was to transform. All thoughts of selling it have gone away.

Long story short: I'm going to rotate the stuff on display every few months or so to keep it fresh.

Right now only Gunbuster and MP Starscream are out of their boxes and a leader movie Prime just arrived. Soon I'll reopen the 1/48 and the wave SDF and after that the Gundam stuff.

Yeah I have a special shelf above my desk that only my current most awesome toys are allowed on (not the same as most recent). It currently has Masterpiece Prime & Megatron, Gunbuster, Yamatos Garland and a Masterpiece Great Exkaiser.

Everything else just gets shunted around the various flat surfaces to make way for new ones and occasssionaly put away.

Edited by Fort Max

eriku: also be careful of the tiny cannons on the rear of Big Moth; especially when you latch on the booster unit as it presses unto them. One of them snapped on mine. =/ Having some trouble gluing it back properly. One way to avoid it snapping is to lift the entire cannon a bit and level the tiny cannons so it doesn't get pushed on. It'll make more sense when you have it in your hands.

Thanks! B)) I can't wait to get this guy.

I want one but I'm feeling kinda wary of buying any more expensive toys these days. Once brought they just seem to sit on the shelf since playing with them usually involves a heavy investment of time.

Even Gunbuster, my most anticiapted toy since Masterpiece Prime just stands stocially on it's launch pad.

I want Ideon too but again have the same nagging doubt that I wouldn't get much out of it after the intial noevelty. :(

I know what you mean. I've got boxes of stuff that were packed away in 2003/2004 and have already gone through three moves without being unpacked. My Chogokins typically get regular love, though. I keep having this fantasty of condensing my collection down to Just Chogokins, but then I decide I'd need to keep the Macross toys, and the Votoms toys and certain Transformers toys and then it just keeps snowballing until I'm left with only one or two things I'd be able to part with. :ph34r:

Guys, this is only a rumor but if it is true, we are in for a real treat. On Toysdaily, some one reported a Japanese forum mentioning:

- GX-06R (Perfect Change) Can it be true? A perfect change SOC Getter!!!post-3608-1191054172.gif

Toysdaily link: http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-40161-1-1.html

Original Japanese forum: http://www2.atwiki.jp/blackbraze/pages/3.html

PS. ruskiiVFaussie, just visit the Toysdaily link and you will find the emotioncons there.

So Studio Half Eye is still the only source for a perfect change Getter...

Speaking of SHE and Chogokins, the price tag on the upcoming Dancouga Nova makes the limited edition Chogokin Dancouga look like a bargain: 84,000 yen (some $730) for resin and some metal screws!!

But it sure looks awesome 4.gif:

post-2996-1191064971_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1191064978_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1191064985_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1191065339_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1191065346_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1191065353_thumb.jpg

Link

Don't have a clue about the D Nova series. They dropped the animal form and just turn into vehicle, robot and body part now?

a sad day for cat-dom..... ;-)

I much rather my original style Mr D.Couga, though Nova does look pretty cool in its own right

just got the Ohtsuka Dynamite Mazinger with Scrander cool box and nice figure Its the exact the same figure just th addition fo the scrander. So i'm not gonna bother putting the figure together i'll just take the scrander out - could have just sold the scrander as an accessory pack but whatever. I also received the Ohtuska Darth Vader. Assembly is much like the Mazinger. Included are vinyl shins and hips to add shape the lower body but you dont need to use them. It was easy to put together Looks good. I think they should have rethought the shoulder guard though. It doesn't secure on the body it just lies on top of the shoulder so it can come off not a huge issue since the cloth suit keeps it in place but it would have been nice to have a piece on the back half of it. Still nice. Hope they make some stormtroopers.

post-3216-1191073713_thumb.jpgpost-3216-1191073668_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1191073611_thumb.jpgpost-3216-1191073576_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1191073519_thumb.jpgpost-3216-1191073470_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1191073399_thumb.jpgpost-3216-1191073336_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

Guys, this is only a rumor but if it is true, we are in for a real treat. On Toysdaily, some one reported a Japanese forum mentioning:

- GX-06R (Perfect Change) Can it be true? A perfect change SOC Getter!!!post-3608-1191054172.gif

Toysdaily link: http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-40161-1-1.html

Original Japanese forum: http://www2.atwiki.jp/blackbraze/pages/3.html

PS. ruskiiVFaussie, just visit the Toysdaily link and you will find the emotioncons there.

lol i can't find the link, so i tried to register and waiting for the confirm e-mail.

a bit hard when all you can do is run the mouse over the link buttons and try to make out the english link code! :p lol

Thanks Mowe, i'll let ya know with superb emoticoness if i succeed. If not, damn you! :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

This is looking interesting. Can anyone tell which toy company makes this Gurren Lagann die cast?

It's price tag is around $150 and is approx 200mm high. Looks like a lot of accessories (33 drills)

GL.jpg

http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/83440

Edited by Mowe

Iron Gear is out, anyone get one or have one on the way? I'm very close to buying one but I'd like to read at least one review first.

Found an review of SOC Iron Gear. It looks good. According to the review, legs lock together tight and still have 45 degree range of motion. There are bunch of slopes and maintenance hatches that can be opened. Also it comes with a lot of small walker machines in various modes, supply crates and even a merchant land ship. Reviewer didn't mention any problems. Only problem I can think of is the space it occupies...

Land ship mode:

http://robogeki.sakura.ne.jp/1980/gx38.html

Walker Machine mode:

http://robogeki.sakura.ne.jp/1980/gx38_2.html

Edited by konimon

Found an review of SOC Iron Gear. It looks good. According to the review, legs lock together tight and still have 45 degree range of motion. There are bunch of slopes and maintenance hatches that can be opened. Also it comes with a lot of small walker machines in various modes, supply crates and even a merchant land ship. Reviewer didn't mention any problems. Only problem I can think of is the space it occupies...

Land ship mode:

http://robogeki.sakura.ne.jp/1980/gx38.html

Walker Machine mode:

http://robogeki.sakura.ne.jp/1980/gx38_2.html

Thanks for the links. I have one on the way from HK and am very eagerly anticipating it. Someone at ToyBoxDX said Bandai used lower quality plastic for it, but I take that with a grain of salt since that was said for the last several releases and I personally didn't notice anything different. I'm sure I'll be quite pleased with Iron Gear. And at the very least it'll be better than the crappy dime-store version I had in the 80's. :)

Edited by eriku

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Iron Gear yesterday and spent a nice evening getting to know him last night. Can't really say much that Drifand didn't touch on in his review. It's a fantastic toy. Built like a brick but incredibly posable. Lots of little details everywhere and plenty of opening hatches that reveal 'innards'. The transformation is simple yet not so simple that it isn't fun. I really don't have a single complaint. Another big winner in the SOC lineup.

IGfull.jpg

IGhead.jpg

..The transformation is simple yet not so simple that it isn't fun...

That's how a toy should be. Can I ask what is the diecast content? Does it has a nice weight? Good percentage of metal or mostly plastic?

That's how a toy should be. Can I ask what is the diecast content? Does it has a nice weight? Good percentage of metal or mostly plastic?

I don't have the toy in front of me, but my recollection puts diecast in the chest, thighs, parts of the arms and back half of the legs (they split). I think they did the back half because the front half has a lot of opening panels which would be harder to do in diecast. The joints are also diecast, those being the elbows, hips, knees and the swing-bar that positions the torso from cruiser to walker mode. I think part of the mid-section is diecast, too. The thing is HEAVY. It feels very substantial in your hands. It's also notable that it is SOLID. Sometimes toys this heavy can get a little unstable or wobbly under their own weight, but not IG. Like I said before, it's a brick with lots of articulation. I know Drifand said the plastic was of a cheaper quality, but I didn't get that impression. The plastic on it seemed pretty rugged to me. I kind of got the 'old solid toy from the 80's" vibe when I was handling it.

Actually, I never commented on the quality of Irongear's plastics beacuse they didn't bother me much... the person with issues was 'Amuro' on TBDX. The plastics are only a 'problem' because they cannot fully support the weight of the Landship if you want to 'fly' the toy in one hand. (Don't do it!)

Diecast is found on Irongear's

- Lower leg rear-halves. (Front half is plastic)

- Knee joints. (detented)

- Thighs, front & rear halves. (painted white)

- Hip joints & hip assembly (under curved plastic sides)

- Torso hinge connector (bare metal)

- Chest, front & rear halves. (plastic hangar door, side & intake details)

- Elbow joints. (bare metal)

Actually, I never commented on the quality of Irongear's plastics because they didn't bother me much... the person with issues was 'Amuro' on TBDX. The plastics are only a 'problem' because they cannot fully support the weight of the Landship if you want to 'fly' the toy in one hand. (Don't do it!)

D'oh, sorry about that. Not sure why I connected his comment with your review. It would take some damn thick plastic to support the weight of this guy by holding on to one end. It's such a big toy though that you need both hands to swoosh it around anyway. B))

Damn why do the sites at Toysdaily take so long to load. I feel like I'm having the DIAL UP experience all over again!! :angry:

MUST SEE all new pictures!!! RAWR!!! BTW Does anyone know the diecast content of Baikanfu yet?

Edited by SuperHobo