pic request, G1 OP, jetfire, and 1/48

so my friend is convinced that when he was a kid he had a optimus prime toy that was as big, if not bigger than a 1/48. he claims it featured a flip down cab where a plastic figure(thats supposedly came with the toy)could sit inside the drivers seat. i know of no such OP toy which featured a cab that opened, nor a plastic human figure that could sit inside it, nor one as big or even near the size of a 1/48, but he's convinced otherwise.

he's also convinced that the jetfire toy he had was way bigger than a 1/48...yeah i know the jetfire is 1/55 scale but he still doesn't believe me. he claims he must've gotten the "other" jetfire toy that was released when in fact, we all know there was only one jetifre toy ever made.

so if someone could please help me settle this arguement by posting a group shot of a 1/48, jetfire and the original G1 OP(or whatever the hell version of OP he's tallking about), i'd greatly appreciate it. :D

The OP toy issue could be settled by the fact that a number of toys released as Transformers were originally part of the so-called "pre-Transformers" toys from Japan. Many of the designs were re-used for Transformers, and some of them had minature pilot figures (this includes the toy that would eventually become Starscream, for example). However, as far as I know, it wasn't possible to fit a pilot figure into the actual OP cab, although that was the original purpose of the "Roller" six-wheeled buggy.

http://1500bc.com/pretf/diaclone_toys.html

for more information.

I also remember Jetfire as being huge as a child, so maybe thats the answer there...!

so my friend is convinced that when he was a kid he had a optimus prime toy that was as big, if not bigger than a 1/48. he claims it featured a flip down cab where a plastic figure(thats supposedly came with the toy)could sit inside the drivers seat. i know of no such OP toy which featured a cab that opened, nor a plastic human figure that could sit inside it, nor one as big or even near the size of a 1/48, but he's convinced otherwise.

he's also convinced that the jetfire toy he had was way bigger than a 1/48...yeah i know the jetfire is 1/55 scale but he still doesn't believe me. he claims he must've gotten the "other" jetfire toy that was released when in fact, we all know there was only one jetifre toy ever made.

so if someone could please help me settle this arguement by posting a group shot of a 1/48, jetfire and the original G1 OP(or whatever the hell version of OP he's tallking about), i'd greatly appreciate it. :D

I still own both of those G1 Transformers toys (plus an almost destroyed Skywarp and a somewhat good-shape Ratchet).

I can confirm that G1 OP's original toy was NOT as tall or taller than a 1/48. In bot mode, he must be standing around 20cm (about 8 in).

I don't remember if it came with a small human "driver", but the cab DOES open (to the front, with hinges just below the front windows) and has very very small and simple seats inside. I used to store the robot hands in the cab when in trailer mode.

Jetfire is exactly the same size as a 1/55 Valkyrie, down to the same inaccurate dimensions and shapes.

I'm sorry I can't post pics right now, cause the toys are currently at my parents home, and I'm a little far away from there.

And yeah, the DID look a lot bigger when I got them (I was still in primary school, between 10 and 12 yo).

Edited by Garou Kuroryuu

Sounds like your friend had Diaclone Convoy.

nah, i'm pretty sure he had the plain old regular version we all saw as kids. he actually tried to convince me that the G1 OP was poseable. LOL! i guess you could say poseable if you consider a handful of moving hinges(i can't even call them joints)"poseable".

That dude has one heck of an active imagination. But you can tell him that this authoratative and august body of toy collectors is certain that he's on crack. :p

You could put the burden on him. Tell him that with the internet at his fingertips, he should be able to find one image of the toy(s) he claims existed.

It's hard to convince someone that their childhood impressions (enforced by years of false recollections all the way into adulthood) are false. But, considering I vividly remember the Red Baron dropping an anvil out of his bi-plane directly onto R2-D2's head in the trench scene at the end of the original Star Wars film, I know first-hand that we can have some pretty crazy childhood "memories." But, in my mind's eye, I can still see it! :blink:

H

A friend of mine growing up had several Diaclones, including Optimus/Convoy, and it did indeed come with a little guy who fit inside the car. It wasn't as big as the 1/48 of course, so you should just chalk that up to childhood mis-remembering things. We used to pitch the little man into the toybox and instead stuffed Prime's fists in the cab, because really....who gave a damn about the humans in Transformers?

Hurins "R2D2 vs the Red Baron" memories, on the other hand, are clearly the result of a deranged mind. :p

Edited by bsu legato

Hurins "R2D2 vs the Red Baron" memories, on the other hand, are clearly the result of a deranged mind. :p

And all this time I've been waiting for it to re-appear in a 'special edition' along with the 'Biggs on Tatooine' scene!

nah, i'm pretty sure he had the plain old regular version we all saw as kids. he actually tried to convince me that the G1 OP was poseable. LOL! i guess you could say poseable if you consider a handful of moving hinges(i can't even call them joints)"poseable".

Convoy = Optimus. Convoy just has no Autobot symbols and comes with a little dude who can sit in his cab. The cab was kept for Transformers, and that's where most kids stored his hands. It's the perfect little spot for them. I'm amazed that my G2 Optimus (far far far far from mint) still has his hands. That thing is a trooper, that's for sure. :p

If I dug my old Optimus out of the box he's in I'd probably be ashamed by how absolutely thrashed he is from all the playing I did. It was a similar thought the last time I saw my first Jetfire. Yellow as could be with only one arm still attached. I don't think "photogenic" would really describe them. If you need pics of anything Macross though I'm there for ya :)

If I dug my old Optimus out of the box he's in I'd probably be ashamed by how absolutely thrashed he is from all the playing I did. It was a similar thought the last time I saw my first Jetfire. Yellow as could be with only one arm still attached. I don't think "photogenic" would really describe them. If you need pics of anything Macross though I'm there for ya :)

Having those same transformers myself, sounds like yours are pretty much in the same shape that mine :D

Which arm does your Jetfire lacks? Mine is missing his left arm :unsure: Oh, and all the booster packs, from a loooooong long time ago :mellow:

On the other hand, my OP is still in a somewhat good shape.... given the time and "action" it saw (playing "crash & burn" with my friends), of course.

Which arm does your Jetfire lacks? Mine is missing his left arm Oh, and all the booster packs, from a loooooong long time ago

Yeah, I don't think I ever once put the red armor on my first Jetfire. It took a long time but eventually his right arm fell off. Then I bought a buddy's Jetfire and eventually both of its arms fell off :)