Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

Hey Dante, which color scheme do you preffer, they both look good. Btw, could you take a picture of both of them in robot mode next to each other. Thx

Right now I prefer the new "movie" version but that might just be because it's my latest toy purchase. I have to say though, that it also looks a little more "realistic" and less like a toy than the old one.

I'll see If I can take some pics of both of them in battle mode tomorrow.

Edited by Dante74

As promised, here's a couple of pics of both of them in battle mode.

dsc00439kr2.jpg

dsc00431wl9.th.jpg

Without flash.

dsc00433xq3.th.jpg

With flash.

dsc00435to5.th.jpg dsc00436ib0.th.jpg

After transforming the old one again, I gotta say, the new movie version is a big improvement over the old version when it comes to the tightness of the joints.

As promised, here's a couple of pics of both of them in battle mode.

After transforming the old one again, I gotta say, the new movie version is a big improvement over the old version when it comes to the tightness of the joints.

Oooh, thanks for those comparison pics Dante74!

Yeah thanks for that. The old one looks too shiny and I consider the newer one to be more like what the movie one would be if it were 'real' while the first one is an anime colored edition. (where blacks, dark blues and whites are more common than greys so it stands out and is more eye catching)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Excellent pics, Dante. The old version still looks really nice, but the new one looks even nicer, imo. Glad to hear it has tighter joints too!

UPS tried to deliver mine today, but I was still at work. I just told them to hold it, and I'll be picking it up at the UPS office tomorrow! :D I just sold off my 1/5700 partforming SDF-1(shipped it out to the ebay winner today, you can see pics of it here). Can't wait to have its replacement!

Well, it arrived.

There are some things I love about it, and some things I'm dissappointed in. This is probably going to go through a redundant laundry list of things that have been listed in past pages of this thread, but anyway, my turn.....

I love the size. I was prepared for small, and it was a little bigger than I expected, which was a very pleasant surprise. The scale fits my needs. I love the color too, which is why I waited for this version. The transformation was also more complicated than I expected, which was a plus. Most of the joints are very tight. I was a little worried about breaking it during the first couple transforms.

The negatives mainly have to do with qc, one of which is greatly exacerbated by the diecast legs. I hate diecast for the sake of diecast, and that's clearly what this is. It adds weight, which I guess is supposed to make me feel like that's the substantive reason why it costs so much. Problem is that in ship mode the left and right "shoulders" don't lock into their respective shoulder cannons, but instead rely on the strength of the shoulder cannon movement-bar mechanism to maintain the shape of the ship mode. The legs essentially fold in closer to each shoulder therefore closer and pretty much connected to said mechanism. Each of the mechanisms are ratcheted and pretty stiff, but the tolerances on mine aren't identical, which wouldn't have been a problem except for the fact that on the far end of the ship is where the leg thrusters and *ALL* of the diecast are which balances a ridiculous amount of weight against that mechanism. So a part that should be perfectly symmetrically flush isn't, and the end result is that in ship mode the back of the ship's thrusters(legs) aren't level with each other. It's not a great amount, but it's enough to really irk me(I instantly zoom in on it). Another minor problem related to this comes in with the pegging system for the front of the ship. The weight of the diecast also pulls on the very front of the ship which is where it pegs together, but it's a loose fit, so trying to adjust anything behind it pretty much automatically unpegs the front of the ship.

The ship does look fantastic. If anyone has a tip or recommendation on how to make this less of a problem, I'd love to hear it. I don't know if it'll help though, because when I go to battle mode, it's pretty clear there's a difference between the shoulders. I can see a seam open in the back of the right shoulder when I move the cannon into place, something the left one doesn't do. But ironically, it's the left one that's having the diecast balance problem in ship mode.

Battle mode looks fantastic too, and is probably how I'll normally have it displayed.

This has probably been asked but with the manual there is a tiny baggie with a small plastic stick thing in it. The manual has a picture of it being used for something on the toy but I can't figure out what.

Anal probe for the ASS-1. B))

Graham

Anal probe for the ASS-1. B))

Graham

That explains why it's in it's own little baggie and seperated from the other parts. Can't have a dirty probe going into the ASS-1. At least not without a few drinks first. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Yamato would just hurry up an produce an SDF-1 !

Eventually, I know I'm going to get this thing unless an alternative comes out...

Heck - the reissue VF-1J Hikaru w/Armor probably saved me from buying this Wave SDF1... but eventually...there will come a day when there is NOTHING else to buy...and I will end up snatching this...

Unless Yamato finally comes out with one!

That said - what I would really love would be a big SDF-1 Model along the line of Bandai's Perfect Grade kits - or even Master grade....

there's just something inherently fun in the idea of putting together the Macross...

VFTF1

I would really like a new big SDF-1 too and would be very happy if Yamato made one. Even Bandai if they did it right.

Same size as the larger Takatoku/matchbox from the 1980s but with more realistic sculpt and better articulation, TV colors of course.

I am sure they would charge an arm and a leg, probably no less than $300 which is definitely "ouch!" but still I am sure that we would all gobble it up.

Don't say things like that! :) You must clearly be part of a conspiracy to get me to buy the WAVE SDF-1...

I soooo want an SDF-1.... can't....resist....must....buy...it....is...so...so lovely....

can't....fight....this....feeling....need...alternative...

Thank God I'm broke :)

But seriously - as soon as I get some moolaa I'm gonna make this sucker mine....no! no! can't! too small! Too small for the price...

Hm - ok - can anyone else who has one- particularly the new movie version - post some clear picks of the ship and battroid modes?

VFTF1 (didn't take his medication today:) )

Graham stated that the SDF-1 is nowhere on Yamato's slate.

I guess that is good to know.

Not that I am happy about it because obviously I am not but it is good to know so that I do not keep hoping for it.

You dream killer! (Of course I blame you instead of Graham or Yamato for that matter. Always the messenger. Maybe that is why everyone blames >EXO<) :rolleyes:

Nice diorama dude. i myself am proud of this one -

P3010016.jpg

Revoltech VFs rule.

20080301_05.jpg

I will eventually have the Roy/Hikky 1S hanging like the 1J, but for now i'm happy with this set up.

I want to do proper lighting and move the SDF-1 away from the other displays to do proper pics of course...

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I'm still contemplating whether to get the Movie Color Version.

sdf_macross3.jpg

post-3450-1205909135_thumb.jpgpost-3450-1205909048_thumb.jpg

post-3450-1205909098_thumb.jpgpost-3450-1205909169_thumb.jpg

post-3450-1205909243_thumb.jpgpost-3450-1205909365_thumb.jpg

post-3450-1205909288_thumb.jpgpost-3450-1205909410_thumb.jpg

Not that its any of my business.. still it pains me to see that you place the guns wrong..

maybe its me that is wrong but still the way u place them looks like they are way too long.

sry in advance :unsure:

post-7048-1206419017_thumb.jpg

post-7048-1206419039_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I suddenly saw that this thing was out of production at HLJ...

so immediately bit the bullet and bought a Movie Color version off of BBTS.

I am therefore a proud owner awaiting delivery of his very own SUPER DIMENSIONAL FORTRESS MACROSS!!!!

TA NA TA NA TA! MAKUROSU DA TE ANIWA TE O KOROTO TA LA LA LA LA (or however that went...sorry, I was going for the melody and not the kana :p) ...

This is one thing that the internet has not perfected yet - emoticons can underline the emotional context of words - but what about when you want to hum a melody or convey that a melody is humming itself in your head?

Oh well - very happy about one thing with this baby: it's small...so shipping is cheap ! :)

VFTF1

Good work acquiring one man.

See - this is what life in general should look like.

Boss: Peter! You're slacking again!

Me: Uh, no way boss! I've done helluvalot work!

Boss: Yeah!? Like what!?

Me: Well - for starters I just bout a 1/5000 Wave SDF-1...

Boss: Good work acquiring one man! Keep it up!

:)

VFTF1

Just got a movie version. Now that the hype of the re-colour is truly over, I think I can pick my fav without bias.

When I had it next to the original version, I actually like the original better. I think the re-colour scheme is not any more animate accurate then the old one, just a different palette. The new one is kind of too soft and plastic-ish to be a battle fortress. The old one has a real metal feel to it. Its luxurious feel appeals to me as a die-cast toy collector more so.

So don't sell your original at dirt cheap price yet, you might regret it later.

EDIT: It's here! Sort of! Just hope there's no sticking import tax to be payed :) Hopefully will have it tomorrow :) Yay!

My FIRST EVER SDF Macross!

Cool. I think that you'll like it. I missed out on the original release, but jumped on the preorder bandwagon for the "movie color" version, and am glad that I did. It's a really nice display piece ;)

kcxawg.jpg

o89b2s.jpg

dccwvk.jpg

First impression: very good! Although it's primarily made of plastic; the plastic is solid - not brittle. I don't get a heart attack just touching it as I sometimes do with Yamato - but this could be due to the fact that the Macross at this scale is a lot less detail heavy in terms of molded parts... I like the fact that the Daedelus and Prometheus are disengagable - very good that! Haven't transformed it yet; but just admiring the detailing and paint job - very good stuff.

VFTF1