x-02

deadghost

The X-02 is slightly redesigned in every game, to take it further and further from the YF-23. Compare the YF-23 to the original X-02 design, from AC4, not the "redesigned to look less like a YF-23 copy" version from AC5 and AC0. The X-02 started out as 90% YF-23 parts, only recently has it been "resculpted" to only make it "similar" to the YF-23.

And might as well:

The XFA-27 is a modified F-14. Don't even think about denying that one, it shares PANEL LINES on 90% of the fuselage, exactly matching.

Italeri/Testors? Generally regarded as the best one.

FYI, there's a guy working on a resin 1/32 YF-23. From scratch. But I've seen his other work and the incomplete -23, and I have no doubts when its done it'll be the best, most accurate, most detailed 1/32 fighter jet kit period. And I plan to buy one, unless the price is truly insane. (I'd guess/hope a couple hundred dollars)

YF-23: Best-looking plane ever, period. Even the XB-70 and F-14 pale in comparison. And it's got the whole "one contrail" thing going.

If I wanted to scratchbuild the X-02, I would not start with a kit of the YF-23, because the only parts I could use were the ruddervators and the landing gear. While the planes do share the same basic arrangement and the characteristic ruddervators, the cross sections of the fuselage are different from nose to tail. Without the wings, the body of the X-02 resembles more that of a SU-27 on a diet than that of the YF-23.

The kit in the Hobby Japan mag shows the AC4 version of the plane.

post-1187-1161455428_thumb.jpg

The X-02 is slightly redesigned in every game, to take it further and further from the YF-23. Compare the YF-23 to the original X-02 design, from AC4, not the "redesigned to look less like a YF-23 copy" version from AC5 and AC0. The X-02 started out as 90% YF-23 parts, only recently has it been "resculpted" to only make it "similar" to the YF-23.

no not realy, if you have the game and use the plane a lot (which I do) the models in each game are the same, and they've never shared more than a basic shape with the YF-23. the plane is much closer to a flanker (an Su-37 incorperating YF-23 derived low observable features)

edit: I have pictures to prove it, the only difference is the nose is a TINY bit shorter In ACE4 when you look at the pictures (and I blame that mostly on perspective)

post-4286-1161488822_thumb.jpg

post-4286-1161488840_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

YF-23: Best-looking plane ever, period. Even the XB-70 and F-14 pale in comparison. And it's got the whole "one contrail" thing going.

I would add the SR-71 and Su-47 to the nominees list. :)

Better get "categories":

- Best looking strategic/secret ops plane:

SR-71 Blackbird

- Best looking bomber:

XB-70 Valkyrie

Runner-up: B-1B Lancer

- Best looking fighter:

I have it tough in here... for me, it's a hard-to-call tie between F-14 Tomcat, YF-23 Black Widow and Su-47 Berkut

So we get a bunch of winners there :D

it definately has some similaritys, but to me it looks like a unique design, especially in this image:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=37346

imho it is clearly NOT just a yf-22 with diffrent wings.

Agreed. I see a bit of CF-18 action going on where the wings and the cockpit blend together. Something not seen in the YF-22.

:lol:

I would add the SR-71 and Su-47 to the nominees list. :)

Better get "categories":

- Best looking strategic/secret ops plane:

SR-71 Blackbird

- Best looking bomber:

XB-70 Valkyrie

Runner-up: B-1B Lancer

- Best looking fighter:

I have it tough in here... for me, it's a hard-to-call tie between F-14 Tomcat, YF-23 Black Widow and Su-47 Berkut

So we get a bunch of winners there :D

We seem to like a lot of the same planes.

Good call on that list I Really agree on the Berkut, it's a cool plane.

Exactly. YF-23 is the most modern, sleekest-looking plane ever. 20 years from now we still won't have planes that look like that. (Look at the F-35---a decade newer and is nothing more than a warmed-over YF-22/F-16 hybrid)

Anyways--AFAIK there is still no term for the YF-23's tail fins. They are not ruddervators, as that would be a separate control surface from the main stabilizer. Bonanzas have ruddervators (I ALWAYS watch Bonanzas when I see them overhead). The YF-23's flight manual simply calls them "all-moving tail surfaces".

I think "slab ruddervator" is a technically correct description, but you never actually describe it as such--that's like saying "slab elevator" instead of stabilator.

Stabiruddervator?

Exactly. YF-23 is the most modern, sleekest-looking plane ever. 20 years from now we still won't have planes that look like that. (Look at the F-35---a decade newer and is nothing more than a warmed-over YF-22/F-16 hybrid)

Anyways--AFAIK there is still no term for the YF-23's tail fins. They are not ruddervators, as that would be a separate control surface from the main stabilizer. Bonanzas have ruddervators (I ALWAYS watch Bonanzas when I see them overhead). The YF-23's flight manual simply calls them "all-moving tail surfaces".

I think "slab ruddervator" is a technically correct description, but you never actually describe it as such--that's like saying "slab elevator" instead of stabilator.

Stabiruddervator?

Sounds like as good a term as any. New word or not, nicely said.

The YF-23's blended fuselage and 'double diamond and tail design' is one of those rare aircraft designs that comes once in a long long time.

Stuff like the Su-27, F-18, Berkut, even the F-22 etc etc, are all refinements and evolutions from existing designs. The YF-23 to me is one big leap.

Side rant :

I am quite sick of FSW designs in games and animes. Everytime they want to design some fancy new fighter plane, they seem to whip out the FSW (which is basically some variant of the X-29's wing style) cookie cutter. I'd respect the game or anime designer who can come up with something from a totally new direction like the YF-23.

Ever see the 2nd-to-last F-15 design proposal? Matches the F-22 almost exactly. The YF-22 looked more next-gen than the F-22. They "F-15'd it up" for the production version.

I have tons of pictures and books of the YF-22, it was chunky and awkward compared to the YF-23

The F-22ish F-15 design is only a silhouette, but trust me, it's 99% accurate to an YF-22. It was one of those "history of the design charts", and there were basically two final choices after all the refinements: What we got, and one that looks like the NEXT fighter we got.

The F-22 is really an aerodynamic step backwards when you think about it. The stealth features are not condusive to good aerdynamic airflow and really hinder performance, especially since they add drag. The YF-23 on the hand was very stealthy, and was designed to be very smooth producing some very nice laminar flow making it quite aerodynamic. Heck right now the F-22 has a flutter issue similar to what the early F/A-18s did. The hornet solved it with that vortex generator strake up on the LERX, but the F-22 designers are fighting against doing that bitterly since it will mess up the stealth features. They are primarily looking for a software fix to correct the problem that a simple 3"x8" vortex generator would fix. Your tax dollars at work folks.

Northrop jets have always been sleek as hell. The F-5 prototype could supercruise, the YF-17 could (yup, it's THAT much sleeker than a Hornet), and we all know about the YF-23.

IIRC, the YF-22 design couldn't supercruise until they brought NASA on board to "tweak" about a zillion points on the airframe until it could slip through the mach. Whereas the YF-23 in mil power will easily out-accelerate a F-16 in burner.

I kinda predict that one day, either the USAF or even China with their XXJ-12 or later model will go back to the YF-23's design characteristics/philosophy.

I will be popping champagne if the PLAAF unveils the XXJ-12 and it turns out to be a YF-23 clone! (I actually made a model of it. Slapped on PLAAF decals on a 23 toy)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I got 2 of the Italeri kits. I agree its the best one. The Tamiya one looks out-of-shape.

The testors, Italeri and Tamiya are like all the same kit/mold in a different box :D As a matter of fact just about all of Tamiya's 1/72 line are repackgaged italeri kits, down to the instructions and decals :p It's a great thing, except for that unlike Hasegawa Italeri Sucks and makes me have to get my own pilot figures

The X-02 really does remind me of the YF-23. Biggest Give-away for me is the way the X-02 folds down it's vert stabilizers when goin supersonic, just like the Real World YF-23.

Tis a Shame the YF-23 didn't beat out the raptor :( It's like the loser planes just LOOK cooler. YF-23 looks way better tha the raptor, and even in the latest JSF competition, I was rooting for the unconventional delta-wing X-32 Guppy over the F-35, despite the X-32 performing like doo doo on it's vertical take off tests :p

Edited by Duymon

Northrop jets have always been sleek as hell. The F-5 prototype could supercruise, the YF-17 could (yup, it's THAT much sleeker than a Hornet), and we all know about the YF-23.

IIRC, the YF-22 design couldn't supercruise until they brought NASA on board to "tweak" about a zillion points on the airframe until it could slip through the mach. Whereas the YF-23 in mil power will easily out-accelerate a F-16 in burner.

Did they ever release the speed figures for the YF-23? Last I heard, they'd been classified because... well, it was quick. :)