In Space, no one can hear you scream

reddsun1

:huh:

First female tourist in space, Iranian-born Anousheh Ansari gave her first TV interview on the Oprah show today. Obviously very educated and articulate, Ansari described vividly the wonders of space travel, including describing experiencing the "smell" of space upon her first spacewalk. According to Ansari, "space smells like a burnt cookie." :blink: Her enthusiasm and wonderment gleaned from the experience was readily apparent, as she tried to put into words the various experiences of traveling to, living in, and returning from space, how it was her lifelong-dream fulfilled....well, tried to anyway--IF OPRAH WOULD HAVE SHUT THE F**K UP!! Kept cutting off Ansari's sentences.... <_<

So, are there any pictures floating around of the guy who went up dressed as Char Aznable? :p

I think the smell (sic. burnt cookie) comes from how they create breathable air. I know on the Russian space stations, they used something along the lines of an oxygen candle (it burns slowly, releasing only oxygen.) It makes sense that this latest space station would use the same thing to create breathable air.

I think the smell (sic. burnt cookie) comes from how they create breathable air. I know on the Russian space stations, they used something along the lines of an oxygen candle (it burns slowly, releasing only oxygen.) It makes sense that this latest space station would use the same thing to create breathable air.

Call me stupid, but its possible to make breathable air without plants? We already have air recyclers? :blink:

I feel like i'm in the 19th century. :lol:

How do you think submarines get air, when they stay submerged for months at a time? The CO2 you breathe out has O2 in it---take out the carbon, you get O2. Air recyclers. Same as plants, just mechanical. :)

Space Shuttle flat-out makes air. Carries tanks of liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen onboard----spews out what's needed. Makes water too, and actually makes so much they have to dump it overboard.

Call me stupid, but its possible to make breathable air without plants? We already have air recyclers? :blink:

I feel like i'm in the 19th century. :lol:

There are chemical reactions that release oxygen. Some of which can be made relatively portable.

And yes, the ISS does use some oxygen "candles."

I'm actually surprised, given a failed one was one of Mir's more... exciting... accidents. But the ISS is laid out diffrently, so I assume they've made sure things can't get too out of hand(the Mir accident blocked one of the Soyuz escape pods until it burned out).

There's also CO2 scrubbers. They don't actually add oxygen, but they keep the CO2 from reaching hazardous levels. Even if you have unlimited oxygen supplies, you'll still die if you can't get enough CO2 out of the air.

If you saw Apollo 13, the air filter cartridge they were replacing was part of the CO2 scrubber.

How do you think submarines get air, when they stay submerged for months at a time? The CO2 you breathe out has O2 in it---take out the carbon, you get O2. Air recyclers. Same as plants, just mechanical. :)

Space Shuttle flat-out makes air. Carries tanks of liquid nitrogen and liquid oxygen onboard----spews out what's needed. Makes water too, and actually makes so much they have to dump it overboard.

Believe it or not, I always thought they had lots of oxygen tanks that have to be filled during resupply. :lol:

But now that i think about it, i'm sure they could somehow do hydrolysis on the water or something.

I just hope space tourism reaches a point of popularity and cost effectiveness in my lifetime that I can actually afford a brief trip off-world. I've wanted to get off this rock for so long, it'd be nice just to have a taste of space travel before I die of old age :)

Maybe if Branson's company takes off, it'll be possible.

Edited by Mr March

Reddsun1- So you freely admit to watching Oprah?

;):p j/k

Not regularly, mind you. One of the perks where I work: have TV's in the office. And the boss likes her Dr. Phil and Oprah in the a'noons.

But no worries--I offset this with generous dosages of violent video games and SpikeTV... :p

Edited by reddsun1

Nip? No no no, you must be imagining things. It's just a shadow... or is it? :lol:

Her name is Hikari Kisugi. Google and you shall find. Of course I wouldn't recommend doing so from a church or work computer. :lol:

Wait, how did we go from talking about the first female tourist in space to this? Hehehehe

Nip? No no no, you must be imagining things. It's just a shadow... or is it? :lol:

Her name is Hikari Kisugi. Google and you shall find. Of course I wouldn't recommend doing so from a church or work computer. :lol:

Wait, how did we go from talking about the first female tourist in space to this? Hehehehe

A healthy scientific curiosity about 0G anatomy?

Very impressive. Thanks :)