Transformer Starscream Masterpiece has arrived!

kentgh

All I'm going to add to this is that the new color scheme rocks. The old, cartoon color scheme is for children and people easily excited by shiny objects, and ruins the whole notion of "robots in disguise." That is, unless you live near an airbase with military fighters painted in bright, primary colors.

Edited by bsu legato

All I'm going to add to this is that the new color scheme rocks. The old, cartoon color scheme is for children and people easily excited by shiny objects, and ruins the whole notion of "robots in disguise." That is, unless you live near an airbase with military fighters painted in bright, primary colors.

For me I never liked the cartoon color schemes. I LOVED the g1 toy color schemes though. The cartoon colored ones were too pastel like. The g1 toy versions were much darker and pleasant on the eye. Skywarp and Thundercracker looked like cabbage patch transformers on screen but their toy versions definitely had the more bad ass color schemes. While the color scheme on MP has grown on me, I can't help but think it would look intense and awesome in the g1 toy colors of thundercracker and skywarp

And this is in disguise? It would stick out like a sore thumb amongst USAF F-15s. (Strike Eagle aside... this is a single seater.)

well we can't have it both ways guys... either the color is there to make it look more "realistic" and if you're going to deveate fromt he show for sake of a "realistic" vehicle mode, then you have to listen to complaints about how "unrealistic" the jet looks.

if we're assuming the rules of the show where "its a jet so people think its a jet" and the decepticons emblems and stuff won't give it away, then the complaint that they "changed" it from the original is valid.

i think the real fact of the matter is that this thing isn't for hardcore fans of f-15s nor is it really for hard core fans of the show.

it seems to be more for a middle ground of people who don't really care that it's not a realistic f-15 nor do they care that it's not a faithful representation of the cartoon character.

That's a pretty good summary. If it was 100% G1 toy colors, it'd please G1-color fans. If it was 100% real F-15 colors, it'd please real F-15 fans.

By being neither, it pleases neither.

And GREEN is just plain wrong for an F-15. I still 100% believe they ATTEMPTED to match an F-15E's color, but just royally F'd up. And did it so much, that even people who don't know what color an F-15E really should be, notice that it's way too green. It'd be like if Yamato's YF-19 comes out in a dark tan instead of pale tan---they were obviously going for the "right" color, they just screwed up. It's not even half realistic. F-15E grey is simple black+white. How hard is it to mix that? It's not some obscure pigment made from the petals of a Mediterranean flower that only blooms once a decade...

And to agree with Shin Densetsu--yup, G1 *toy* colors are pretty universally preferred to G1 *cartoon* colors. Nobody wants powder-blue, neither Starscream's fists nor Thundercracker overall. The toys had much deeper, better colors.

For people who don't give a rat's ass about matching FS paint numbers, yeah. And it's far less out of place than the beloved Red, Grey & Blue version would be. :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with matching paint numbers. It is green with red and white stripes. Find me a USAF F-15 with those markings.

Notice I didn't even mention the original version, you did. My point isn't that that color is more realistic - my point is that this new one isn't either.

And GREEN is just plain wrong for an F-15. I still 100% believe they ATTEMPTED to match an F-15E's color, but just royally F'd up. And did it so much, that even people who don't know what color an F-15E really should be, notice that it's way too green. It'd be like if Yamato's YF-19 comes out in a dark tan instead of pale tan---they were obviously going for the "right" color, they just screwed up. It's not even half realistic. F-15E grey is simple black+white. How hard is it to mix that?

Not very hard at all, which is why they obviously didn't screw it up and instead made a conscious decision to have it in the colour that it is. That, and the fact that both the hand painted proto and final production colours are the same.

I'm still waiting on that real life F-15 alien space robot so we can do that accuracy check.

Not very hard at all, which is why they obviously didn't screw it up and instead made a conscious decision to have it in the colour that it is. That, and the fact that both the hand painted proto and final production colours are the same.

I'm still waiting on that real life F-15 alien space robot so we can do that accuracy check.

by that logic the 1/48 yamato valkyrie is no more "realistic" than one of those banpresto models that don't transform. "find me a real transforming valkyrie then we can talk accuracy"

pshaw

That's a pretty good summary. If it was 100% G1 toy colors, it'd please G1-color fans. If it was 100% real F-15 colors, it'd please real F-15 fans.

And GREEN is just plain wrong for an F-15. I still 100% believe they ATTEMPTED to match an F-15E's color, but just royally F'd up. And did it so much, that even people who don't know what color an F-15E really should be, notice that it's way too green. It'd be like if Yamato's YF-19 comes out in a dark tan instead of pale tan---they were obviously going for the "right" color, they just screwed up. It's not even half realistic. F-15E grey is simple black+white. How hard is it to mix that? It's not some obscure pigment made from the petals of a Mediterranean flower that only blooms once a decade...

And to agree with Shin Densetsu--yup, G1 *toy* colors are pretty universally preferred to G1 *cartoon* colors. Nobody wants powder-blue, neither Starscream's fists nor Thundercracker overall. The toys had much deeper, better colors.

... You know, you should put all your gripes with the toy in your sign or just copy/paste them; it's really sad imagining you typing and retyping the same stuff over and over in this thread and others for the last few months. In the beginning it was normal but now it’s getting too obsessive.

While not able to stand up straight, looks like MP SS with the hip kibble in the legs can still be posed whitout the stand (don't know how many action poses it could do, the ower just tried this one):

IPB Image

Found here

And for something weird: looks like (don't know if this is really real) MP SS and Dr. Grey Blob have appeared in the KissPlayers radio show... better look here:

http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=941166

Not necessarily so. I'm a diehard G1 Toy fan and growing as an F-15 fan every day, I do not at all mind the new color. I'm rather pleased with this iteration of Starscream and even if they don't change the color when the US release comes out, I'll be all over it. I rather like the fact that it fits in more as a "real" jet with the paintscheme than the original scheme does (what I always thought the intended purpose should be),

I rather like the fact that it fits in more as a "real" jet with the paintscheme than the original scheme does (what I always thought the intended purpose should be),

thats what i don't understand...

the green paint is in no way "real". no f-15's are painted like that. the green and red is 100% just as wrong as the tv or G1 paintjob.

the only thing the paintjob has done is make it less like the g1 figure while doing not a single thing to make the plane more real. there is nothing more realistic about the plane being a dark blue-green as opposed to light grey.

I mean can you really say that this green looks more realistic than the grey featured in either the cartoon or g1 figure??

post-309-1160286441_thumb.jpg

Anyone got pic of SS with the landing gears? How are they compared to the old school ones, where the front LG is just peg?

Here's a really nice and big gallery with some shots of the landing gear and a step by step of the transformation. It also has more shots of SS with the hip kibble on the legs.

http://members9.tsukaeru.net/ty1_toys/toys/MP_03a.htm

Found link in sgcollect.com forums.

And Extra Large Mumma, here are some older shots of the MP SS landing gear from that same forum.

thats what i don't understand...

the green paint is in no way "real". no f-15's are painted like that. the green and red is 100% just as wrong as the tv or G1 paintjob.

the only thing the paintjob has done is make it less like the g1 figure while doing not a single thing to make the plane more real. there is nothing more realistic about the plane being a dark blue-green as opposed to light grey.

I mean can you really say that this green looks more realistic than the grey featured in either the cartoon or g1 figure??

If you painted a toy car red, would that make it fit in more as a real car than if you painted it in it's original purple and orange polka dot cartoon scheme, even though red isn't one of the factory options?

For all the problems I had with the toy, color wasn't the biggest one. It's 'real enough' to me. Any more 'real' it would be an Alternator, I guess. Besides, the original Strike Eagles did come in 'Lizard Green' paint scheme. In the right skies, it'll look 'blue-green' too. (See pic.)

At the end of it... haters just keep your fingers crossed and wait for the Hasbro edition, though chances are the hip-kibble's here to stay. Nothing else is gonna happen from Takara except more repaints.

post-75-1160317544_thumb.jpg

If you painted a toy car red, would that make it fit in more as a real car than if you painted it in it's original purple and orange polka dot cartoon scheme, even though red isn't one of the factory options?

Well that's sort of my point...

the green paint isn't bad and if you like it, good for you. but i'm simply saying it doesn't make the thing more realistic.

paint it what ever color you want.

my problem is that STARSCREAM was never green. he's always been grey with red and blue trim. this is a toy of starscream. the toy is green for some reason. and the reason is decidedly NOT to make the f-15 more realisitic. I just wish people would stop saying things like "i like the green color, it makes the f-15 more realistic than if it had been grey"

the green color does NOT make the jet mode more realistic. at the same time it doe NOT make it LESS realistic either. it's the same level of un-realistic, with none of the faithfulness to the show or G1 toy.

that is my problem with the green. (that and personally i just think its ugly, but that is just opinion)

For all the problems I had with the toy, color wasn't the biggest one. It's 'real enough' to me. Any more 'real' it would be an Alternator, I guess. Besides, the original Strike Eagles did come in 'Lizard Green' paint scheme. In the right skies, it'll look 'blue-green' too. (See pic.)

At the end of it... haters just keep your fingers crossed and wait for the Hasbro edition, though chances are the hip-kibble's here to stay. Nothing else is gonna happen from Takara except more repaints.

thanks for mentioning the strike eagles, i looked them up, they are indeed quite a nasty green almost identical to starscreams green:

IPB Image

I'll give them lots of credit for matching that color. though still i have a big problem with t hem not going for realism nor show accuracy with enough confidence.. in real life no one would mistake starscreams multi-color paintjob for a strike eagle:

IPB Image

(though atleast it has some real life redeeming value)

But then there is some internal inconsistency in the MP line up.. (i didn't know this untill just now) but MP prime has a panel with starscream on it:

IPB Image

which is clearly the tv colors.. yet ...

IPB Image

Anyway though.. the strike eagles are quite a good arguement for why he's the green he is. personally i've seen far more grey f-15's than green, and i'd rather have seen SS in his more traditional colors :-(

the Starscream MP project lacks direction and drive. it's a cool toy, but i'm confused by what they're trying to tell me by changing the colors.

It's easy: they make the made-up scheme first instead of waiting until they have all the cartoon ones thus selling more units of the made-up scheme (after all the anime character repaints, how many more would still want another one?). It’s easier to imagine someone reselling their MP-03 or buying another MP coloured like his favourite cartoon character.

In my case I’m really glad they went with this homage/realistic/whateverthehellyouwanttocallit scheme but others will buy MP-03 out of impatience and then get the one they really wanted. Takara wins in both cases.

KingNor---Strike Eagles aren't green. That's the worst F-15E pic I've ever seen, color-wise. You can find F-15's looking from blue to purple to green if you look around enough and the lighting's off enough. F-15E's are THIS color:

IPB Image

Pure grey. (based on the many F-15E pics I have on my PC, and having seen 36118 in real life on many planes, that pic is about the best-lit best-color one I have)

Ever seen an F-16? The dark grey on their upper half? Exact same color as the Strike Eagle--and F-16's are NOT green at all.

And the B-1B, and B-2, and B-52--same color. Stealth bombers aren't green. At the moment all USAF bombers (which the F-15E basically is) are painted the same color. Could you imagine a B-2 stealth in the color of MP Starscream?

I have a feeling that SS will appear as toon accurate colors anyway. If you are a bot mode fan I think toon accuracy might be the more favourable one since SS is so much more recognisable in non-realistic colors as a character. (vs a mecha)

As for realism: SS has lasers and stuff that real world ones still haven't got. Unlike the alternator line, (where thier weapons are not even shown in alt mode) the G1 toys could also be of things that were not necessarily 100% realistic vehicles. Jetfire anyone?

Bring on the 1/72 alternator jets already so we can get some cheap transformer valkyries. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I really feel bad for people who are fans of both real-world aircraft as well as fictional transforming robots. It seems like the two will always be at odds with each other. While there are some lines that are rooted in realism, and others that come close (like MP SS), it seems like the designers of said robots usually aren't hard-core aircraft fans, so there will most likely always be things that bug the more knowledgable. Myself, I know squat about real planes. I do, however, think SS would look nicer if they had used gray instead of the blue-green. Maybe I'll wait for MP-05 Skywarp (we all know it's gonna happen :p)