Zoids

A thing you have to remember about Koto Zoid kits, is that its a perfect fit format in form of shapes. While this is better than Gunpla the plastic is weaker so most of the time Glue is needed. But there is a lot of layering and it makes the kits stronger than their AC line and a lot more playable. Once you have glued key pieces they are pretty hardy model kits. Some decaling and some paint accents will make the kits look awesome

Does anyone have the Raven versions of the Geno Saurer/Breaker? Do they still include the original parts? (Thus, could Psycho Geno still have the standard head parts too, so as to give me something work with/swap?)

(some companies will remove a single part from the sprues by hand, before packaging, to make sure you can ONLY build the intended version) (I totally understand gated sprues that can be changed which version/areas are molded, but to actually remove already-molded pieces from a sprue always really irks me)

Does anyone have the Raven versions of the Geno Saurer/Breaker? Do they still include the original parts? (Thus, could Psycho Geno still have the standard head parts too, so as to give me something work with/swap?) (some companies will remove a single part from the sprues by hand, before packaging, to make sure you can ONLY build the intended version) (I totally understand gated sprues that can be changed which version/areas are molded, but to actually remove already-molded pieces from a sprue always really irks me)

um yeah I do and yes parts are swappable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviving a dead thread here, I recently made a big purchase of Kotobukiya Zoids models, I had heard nothing but good things about them, plus I got to see an Iron Kong and Gojulas in person at my buddies place so I decided I had to own some myself. I used to build lots of Gundam models, but stopped years ago and now just collect the occasional Robot Spirits or HCM Pro figure, so I was itching for some new high-end snap together models, these things hit that spot hard. Beautifully detailed, lots of articulation, and of course, those neat little painted pilot figures.

post-12821-0-99231400-1395359636_thumb.jpgpost-12821-0-86969500-1395359771_thumb.jpgpost-12821-0-15726100-1395359913_thumb.jpgpost-12821-0-41720200-1395360044_thumb.jpg

So I love these guys, but I'm thinking they need an adversary, the obvious choice is Berserk Fury. After that, maybe Harry's team, or dip into the other series and get a Shield Liger and Geno Breaker. Either way, I'm pretty into these kits, if anyone else has some pics of recent builds or customs or anything, please post em if you got em.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I only watched the first 54 secs so far, but I'm sold. Just, not a shield liger. (nor blade liger!). I need a Genosaurer or Liger Zero. (well, Ultrasaurus or Deathsaurer would of course also be great, but probably cost a zillion yen)

Ok, I only watched the first 54 secs so far, but I'm sold. Just, not a shield liger. (nor blade liger!). I need a Genosaurer or Liger Zero. (well, Ultrasaurus or Deathsaurer would of course also be great, but probably cost a zillion yen)

pretty much this. For me it needs to be Liger Zero or Berserk Fury for me to want it.

Just bought a Blade Liger and the SD Iron Kong on HLJ. The older Zoids were motorized, but I was wondering if the new kits are. I was under the impression that they are just highly articulated figures now.

I have a number of Zoids that I bought during the early to mid 2000s when the cartoon and kits were pretty popular. Fantastic toyline. Wish it'd make a comeback with all new designs.

The older Zoids were motorized, but I was wondering if the new kits are. I was under the impression that they are just highly articulated figures now.

Up until today, that was true----almost everything from the past few years are "Gundam-esque" in being detailed, highly-articulated poseable figure-kits. But the just-unveiled Masterpiece Zoids line seems to be the best of both worlds---poseable, AND motorized.

ooh...back to Google. Just spent the last 30 min or so looking at all the different Zoids. I wish I'd seen the Deathpion in the store; the sleek clean industrial look and white armor just looks cool...plus it's a motorized scorpion. Mechanical insects have enthralled me ever since my days as a wee lad of about 4 watching G-Force.

Looking through all the pics, though, really made me appreciate the amount of creativity that went into these things...little works of art that you put together. Japanese ingenuity makes this a better world.

I thought I'd share this: Not a Zoid exactly, but inspired by them: http://makezine.com/magazine/going-big-with-legos/

I got to see this in person, and it is an impressive model. While breaking it down for shipment, Brian handed me one of the legs, which is as big as my arm. He also has some impressive Gundam models, a MechaGodzilla, and a fully transformable Dangard Ace that stands about 4' tall, all entirely from LEGO.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Just bought a Blade Liger and the SD Iron Kong on HLJ. The older Zoids were motorized, but I was wondering if the new kits are. I was under the impression that they are just highly articulated figures now.

I have a number of Zoids that I bought during the early to mid 2000s when the cartoon and kits were pretty popular. Fantastic toyline. Wish it'd make a comeback with all new designs.

Takara Tomy Zoids kits are motorized. Kotobukiya HMM model kits are highly detailed and articulated static kits like Gundams.

I've still got my Death Stinger I think, also Salamander, maybe Berserk Fury. I'm never selling my Ultrasaurus or Liger Zero, but I'll have to see what all I still have boxed away. Anyone interested in Liger Zero X or its armor? (think I still have that one too)

Up until today, that was true----almost everything from the past few years are "Gundam-esque" in being detailed, highly-articulated poseable figure-kits. But the just-unveiled Masterpiece Zoids line seems to be the best of both worlds---poseable, AND motorized.

I see nothing about it being very posable. All I can see is that you could pose it within the range of motion of the walking gimmick, which would make articulation very limited. No sitting, wide legged stances or neck articulation as far as I can see.

I'm thinking the same; it's a high grade Zoid with improved movement, light, and sound effects. It's cool, but I don't see the poseability, and if it is posable, one wonders why they wouldn't demonstrate that in the video, as that'd be THE feature to set it apart from previous versions.

I don't see why it couldn't be done, though; design it so that 2-position retractable pins in the legs snap into the rotating cams for walking. If the leg and hip joints are ratcheted, or have good detents for walking position, then all you'd have to do is pull the pins and get to posing. That's how I'd do it, anyway.

Honestly, the only refinement I see is with the coloring of all the details on the master grade. However, I'd imagine parts fit and detail in hand is noticeably better than the old kits. Did you have to paint the wolf, or did everything come pre-colored?

Edited by M'Kyuun

The Command Wolf is actually an LC Brad Custom, which comes like this out of the box:

ZAC-0.jpg

I painted it the colors you see above. Detail and parts separation is somewhere between HG and MG Gunpla, and articulation depends on the kit. The Command Wolf is one of the less-articulated kits, but it can still pull off some nice poses, especially with the assistance of a stand of some sort. The plastic retains a plastic-y sheen, though, and the metallic blue just looks rubbish. There are also a lot of places where there should be color separation on a part, but there isn't. The ears and leg hydraulics, for example. The kit is promoted like this:

1412593241_21934_Brad1.jpg

Of course, even the basic, unpainted kit is leagues ahead of its Takara Tomy original:

photo58.jpg

All in all, I would definitely buy an HMM kit again, if funds permitted. I want a Liger Zero pretty badly. Though, if a Konig Wolf came out, I'd move heaven and earth to buy it.

While the motorized ones are neat, I think I'd prefer highly poseable models at this point. I'm looking forward to getting the Blade Liger, as it'll be my first Zoid model, and judging by the promo pics, it's going to look amazing.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...