Zoids

I had the chance to handle the prototype of this in Yamato's Tokyo HQ back in March last year. Pretty cool toy, but Zoids are just not my thing.

Graham

I have to agree. Last weekend at the Yamato showroom there were a few of these out for play, and they are really heavy, really good quality plastic and die-cast toys. It feels really good in the hand, and I like the tiny details -- EVERYTHING moves, when you move the joints, the little pistons/hydraulics move too. Like Graham, though, Zoids is not my thing.

For people saying that "Yamato has no faith in the SDF-1", don't forget they can only market that toy in Japan, unlike everything else. I'm sure we'd see a lot lower prices all round and higher production numbers if it weren't for several circumstances which belong in a certain other thread...

I was looking at getting a new Iron kong and I've been seeing these legendary blox ones. I know its not the same as a regular iron kong, but how big is it? It doesn't have any powered features does it?

its small and really not worth much

The only thing the Blox Zoids are good for are expansion weapons sets

otherwise cheap facsimile of the real thing Real being the originalTomy motorized zoids.

• 2 months later...

I just got and put together my kotobukiya liger zero and wow, this thing is insanely awesome, I thought those crap models from back in the day when zoids first came to the states were good. I also pre-ordered my schneider armor from HLJ.

• 10 months later...

Are the Kotobukiya versions pre-painted?

yes

I just checked on a site that has them built straight out of the box. They just look already molded in colour, not pre-painted except for the tiny pilots.

Not much of a Zoids person myself, but you gotta love this one; a ridiculously well-armed robotic dinosaur shopping for ammo. If I didn't have four model kits waiting in line for me to complete, I'd buy one just for the heck of it.

Just invisioned a VF-01S shopping for super parts. :lol:

But these Zoids aren't model kits as you can play with them, and don't need glue?

Edited by Omegablue

Just a friendly question, but out of curiosity, why would you expect a model kit to be pre-painted in the first place? Most modern kits are molded in color-accurate plastic, but I've never heard of a model kit that's pre-painted. Detailing, yes, but not pre-painting.

If anything, Kotobukiya kits almost always require a bit of painting for added accuracy, unlike Gundam kits that usually look great with just a layer of clear coat.

Edited by GU-11

Just invisioned a VF-01S shopping for super parts. :lol:

But these Zoids aren't model kits as you can play with them, and don't need glue?

They're kotobukiya model kits, which means they're a lot like gundam kits only not nearly as sturdy. In terms of design they're pretty modern, with inner frames and lots of joints and moving parts. the problem is they rely entirely on styrene plastic and Polycap construction, with no ABS as far as I'm aware. The end result is something that feels like an MG gundam figure from 10 years ago; theoretically posable and nice looking but easily broken and prone to turning into a floppy mess over time, even if you don't actually pose it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you expect a model kit to be pre-painted in the first place? Most modern kits are molded in color-accurate plastic, but I've never heard of a model kit that's pre-painted. Detailing, yes, but not pre-painting.

Many Kotobukiya kits are pre-painted/have tampo printing already applied. Honestly it's kind of stupid, as they frequently don't include dry-transfer/water-slide equivalents so you can't actually paint the model without loosing all of the markings.

Many Kotobukiya kits are pre-painted/have tampo printing already applied. Honestly it's kind of stupid, as they frequently don't include dry-transfer/water-slide equivalents so you can't actually paint the model without loosing all of the markings.

Wha? You mean there are actually model kits out there that are perfectly airbrushed/spray-painted right on the runners? What's the point in that? You'd almost definitely scratch or damage the paint while cutting the sprues off, and sanding off the nubs.

Tampo's, I can understand, if you're not planning on painting the kit, but fully painted parts?

On the other extreme, they didn't even bother to touch up the parts on my Border Break kits that were supposed to be molded in a different color.

Edited by GU-11

The end result is something that feels like an MG gundam figure from 10 years ago; theoretically posable and nice looking but easily broken and prone to turning into a floppy mess over time, even if you don't actually pose it.

That floppy mess part scares me. Though the few gundams, and the only ones I have, from 1994... actaully don't have really loose joints. Though the poly caps look like to have formed like a oil over them.

Downloaded a couple of these Zoids' instructions and noticed they actually do have water slide decals.

Wha? You mean there are actually model kits out there that are perfectly airbrushed/spray-painted right on the runners? What's the point in that? You'd almost definitely scratch or damage the paint while cutting the sprues off, and sanding off the nubs.

Tampo's, I can understand, if you're not planning on painting the kit, but fully painted parts?

On the other extreme, they didn't even bother to touch up the parts on my Border Break kits that were supposed to be molded in a different color.

Well the type of pre-painted I was hoping was the washes in the seams and etc that brings out the detail.

They're kotobukiya model kits, which means they're a lot like gundam kits only not nearly as sturdy. In terms of design they're pretty modern, with inner frames and lots of joints and moving parts. the problem is they rely entirely on styrene plastic and Polycap construction, with no ABS as far as I'm aware. The end result is something that feels like an MG gundam figure from 10 years ago; theoretically posable and nice looking but easily broken and prone to turning into a floppy mess over time, even if you don't actually pose it.

There might be certain exceptions, though. The Aaliyah Krasnaya I built is a little too tight in the joints, if anything. Still, I didn't dare to risk even posing it with the guns up, and just had it in a neutral pose with the arms at a low angle. That said, the kit wasn't exactly designed for dynamic poseability, what with all those stylized protrusions and pointy edges.

Not fully paint and panel lined, more like if a part should be blue with a white stripe, the part would be molded in blue plastic with the stripe painted on.

Downloaded a couple of these Zoids' instructions and noticed they actually do have water slide decals.

I don't know about other kits, but the one I bought only had a sheet of clear plastic stickers. I've got this one: http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYZD13

there's part of me that has always wanted to pick up a few more as I really loved the zoids cartoons as a kid and really wanted to get some of the ones from new century zero, but I was was turned off to the line enough by my first purchase that I haven't been compelled to actually pick any more up. I really wish that Yamato or revoltech had kept going with their respective Zoids releases.

I don't know about other kits, but the one I bought only had a sheet of clear plastic stickers. I've got this one: http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYZD13

there's part of me that has always wanted to pick up a few more as I really loved the zoids cartoons as a kid and really wanted to get some of the ones from new century zero, but I was was turned off to the line enough by my first purchase that I haven't been compelled to actually pick any more up. I really wish that Yamato or revoltech had kept going with their respective Zoids releases.

What put you off it?

Came across this today, which sparked a sudden interest in Zoids.

On just about every blog it's titled as assembled and painted? Though I dunno if they mean that just for the promo pictures? However this one appears more expensive the previous Ligers?

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=49926

Well the type of pre-painted I was hoping was the washes in the seams and etc that brings out the detail.

Oh. Well, the most I've seen for a model kit is in the DMK Transformers kits. The flames for Optimus were pre-painted, and the metal "ribs" on Bumblebee were done in silver. Personally, I think washes would take up too much time for it to be cost effective, since you essentially have to wait for the wash to dry before wiping off the excess.

Not fully paint and panel lined, more like if a part should be blue with a white stripe, the part would be molded in blue plastic with the stripe painted on.

Now that makes a lot more sense.

What I like about the DMK Optimus kit is that even with the flames already painted on, they also give you a separate set of decals in case you feel like painting the kit.

What put you off it?

Came across this today, which sparked a sudden interest in Zoids.

On just about every blog it's titled as assembled and painted? Though I dunno if they mean that just for the promo pictures? However this one appears more expensive the previous Ligers?

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=49926

I dunno about you guys, but I just have to get that robot velociaptor with the shopping basket. It's equal parts of cool AND funny. Getting closer and closer to clicking that "order" button on the hlj page. But on second thought, I'll just wait until it gets officially restocked. Backordered stuff can take anywhere from a few weeks to months before being available.

Bandai's Star Trek kits are actually pre-painted, entirely. Only ones I've seen.

How'd they get around the problem of paint damage from sprue removal? The sprues would have to be very strategically placed in order to avoid damaging the paint.

I dunno about you guys, but I just have to get that robot velociaptor with the shopping basket. It's equal parts of cool AND funny. Getting closer and closer to clicking that "order" button on the hlj page. But on second thought, I'll just wait until it gets officially restocked. Backordered stuff can take anywhere from a few weeks to months before being available.

http://dalong.net/review/kotobukiya/z24/z24_p.htm

What put you off it?

It just didn't feel solid to me. No ABS like a modern bandai kit, the part fit was a little touchy at times and the joints didn't feel all that stable. Also, while it was molded in color and had some pre-painted parts (the claws and a few pistons where painted gold) it needed a lot of paint work to match the box art. At the time, I could make it work if I took the time and did a proper build (paint, glue, filler, etc.) but I just didn't feel motivated to do it.

It's amazing because it's Leena's Gunsniper. Every aspect of it is utterly nonsensical by design and it's a perfect representation of the way it was in the show.

How'd they get around the problem of paint damage from sprue removal? The sprues would have to be very strategically placed in order to avoid damaging the paint.

They are Bandai kits, and if anyone knows how to do sprues that don't mar pre-applied finishes, it's bandai.(see MG Hyaku Shiki).

Basically, the sprues attach to the back of each piece, not the sides. Cut carefully, and you can maintain a flawless finish. This is Bandai, king of color-injection and slide-molding. They can route the sprues a slightly different way. :)

(honestly, I wish they made ALL parts like that, as it'd make unpainted Gundam kits even nicer-looking, as you could avoid all sorts of sprue nubs/scars---but I figure it's more expensive to do so, and Bandai doesn't want to increase the price of an MG kit by like 20% just to reduce sprue scars)

It appears the new Koto Zoids have ABS, and water slide decals...

Anyway, is there a full CG anime of it? Even a OVA? Not really interested in the classic series.

(honestly, I wish they made ALL parts like that, as it'd make unpainted Gundam kits even nicer-looking, as you could avoid all sorts of sprue nubs/scars---but I figure it's more expensive to do so, and Bandai doesn't want to increase the price of an MG kit by like 20% just to reduce sprue scars)

Wish they made the Macross kits like that...

Edited by Omegablue

It appears the new Koto Zoids have ABS, and water slide decals...

Anyway, is there a full CG anime of it? Even a OVA? Not really interested in the classic series.

what do you mean? zoids has had 4 full lenght animated series, with the last one coming out in 2006.

Honestly, I think the first two series (Chaotic century and New century zero) are actually quite good and worth watching. the forth series (Genesis) I've never actually finished, but the first third that I did watch was quite promising. and the third series (fuzors) is... kind of a hot mess. I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you really like crappy animation and hilarious mispronunciations (seriously, guy-ricky fury...)

It's amazing because it's Leena's Gunsniper. Every aspect of it is utterly nonsensical by design and it's a perfect representation of the way it was in the show.

I caught an episode or two on TV once way back when, and it did have a certain shonen anime eccentricity to it. I'll have to Google this Leena character and see what it's all about.

They are Bandai kits, and if anyone knows how to do sprues that don't mar pre-applied finishes, it's bandai.(see MG Hyaku Shiki).

True. I never quite appreciated just how user-friendly and convenient Bandai's kits are, until I started building Kotobukiya's AC kits. If only Bandai got the license to Armored Core.

Basically, the sprues attach to the back of each piece, not the sides. Cut carefully, and you can maintain a flawless finish. This is Bandai, king of color-injection and slide-molding. They can route the sprues a slightly different way. :)

Frankly, I'd rather deal with fixing up the sprue marks myself than to add another 20% to the cost of the kit.

what do you mean? zoids has had 4 full lenght animated series, with the last one coming out in 2006.

Honestly, I think the first two series (Chaotic century and New century zero) are actually quite good and worth watching. the forth series (Genesis) I've never actually finished, but the first third that I did watch was quite promising. and the third series (fuzors) is... kind of a hot mess. I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you really like crappy animation and hilarious mispronunciations (seriously, guy-ricky fury...)

See alot of CG scenes with the Ligers on google, so I assumed the more recent adaptations had the Mechs in CG. Busy downloading some of the Episodes of the last season. Giving it bash. :p

See alot of CG scenes with the Ligers on google, so I assumed the more recent adaptations had the Mechs in CG. Busy downloading some of the Episodes of the last season. Giving it bash. :p

every series used CG mechs with traditionally animated characters and backgrounds done as a mix of both to varying extents.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Psycho Geno Saurer! http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYZD75

Never in a million years did I expect this to actually be made in any form. So bought. I don't recall it having extra missile(?) pods on the legs though.

::edit:: Seems it did. Still, it seems there's always SOMETHING that Koto does in their interpretations of Zoids that I don't like, and on this one it's the twin cannons on top of the head--I can't help but think they look like nostrils or something. They're way bigger and more prominent/bulging than in the animation. They should be like small ports, not big muzzles...

(really, the "face" is very important, and it may be a deal-killer for me)

Psycho Geno Saurer! http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYZD75

Never in a million years did I expect this to actually be made in any form. So bought. I don't recall it having extra missile(?) pods on the legs though.

::edit:: Seems it did. Still, it seems there's always SOMETHING that Koto does in their interpretations of Zoids that I don't like, and on this one it's the twin cannons on top of the head--I can't help but think they look like nostrils or something. They're way bigger and more prominent/bulging than in the animation. They should be like small ports, not big muzzles...

(really, the "face" is very important, and it may be a deal-killer for me)

The thing comes with a tiny Rease figure and you're gonna pass on it because th gun thingies on the nose are too big? Seriously.

Edited by anime52k8