Iron Man the Movie

Ladic

Just came back from the movie (I've been busy with finals, give me a break..)

Easily the best movie i've seen all year. ^_^ Can't wait for the sequal. I am not a big comic book reader, and I hadn't read the thread yet for fear of spoilers, but was there any significance to the Air Force guy in Tony's shop/garage looking at the other suit and saying "maybe next time"? Are there more people operating different suits besides the Tony Stark Iron Man suit in the comic books?

Edit: Where is the best place to go buy some toys from the movie?

Edited by Necron_99

He eventually helps Tony by taking over as Iron Man while Tony fakes his death in the comics. He takes one of Tony's armors called War Machine and assists Tony as War Machine after they repair their friendship from Tony faking his death. War Machine is gray and black Iron Man armour with missiles and machine guns mounted on it.

A bit off topic but does anyone know if I can still get a Marvel Legends Hulkbuster figure for a good price?

I don't collect this line but my mate is infatuated with the Hulkbuster armour and I'd like to get him one for his birthday, if it's still possible to get one.

Cheers :)

Jim Rhodes wears the classic armor long before he becomes WarMachine as well... while Stark begins to collapse into alcoholism Rhodey takes over the mantle of IM to keep Stark Enterprises safe... he then goes bonkers bc/ the suit was calibrated for Stark's brain patterns, and refuses to give the armor back until Stark takes it by force.

I don't really understand why all of you are arguing the technical aspects of Iron Man when I felt the film was pretty realistic and self-contained. The entire suit was powered by the Arc reactor in his chest. The newer model that he built output more power than the biggest nuclear reactor in the world. The smaller one he builds in the cave outputs 3 GW which is about 4 million horsepower. The improved one that Obadiah steals can output 12 GW or 16 million horsepower. That is more than enough to power his suit and all that he does in the film. His thrusters and flight stabilizers are all powered by repuslor technology and are not combustion/compression engines Tony just managed to accidentally find out that just as his boots could output too much thrust, that his arm stabilizers could also fire repulsor blasts and that's great in the movie!

The arc reactor is purely fictional technology, think of it like a flux capacitor driven by plutonium...But it's realistic in the sense that it is self-contained within it's sphere of believability while Spider-Man 2 claimed that the stupid fireball we saw on the screen was a miniature sun/fusion reactor sitting out in plain sight on a random brick and wood building...Now that was silly and unbelievable.

The biggest technical problems for me is Tony crashing into a solid sand-dune in the desert while falling about 300 feet inside a steel/titanium suit and only suffering a sprained or fractured arm!!! (he only uses a sling, not even a cast). The other issue that bugged me was Pepper pushing the TRANSLATE button on the computer and it translated the Arabic speech into english perfectly including an accent!!!

Edited by ComicKaze

I don't really understand why all of you are arguing the technical aspects of Iron Man when I felt the film was pretty realistic and self-contained. The entire suit was powered by the Arc reactor in his chest. The newer model that he built output more power than the biggest nuclear reactor in the world. The smaller one he builds in the cave outputs 3 GW which is about 4 million horsepower. The improved one that Obadiah steals can output 12 GW or 16 million horsepower. That is more than enough to power his suit and all that he does in the film. His thrusters and flight stabilizers are all powered by repuslor technology and are not combustion/compression engines Tony just managed to accidentally find out that just as his boots could output too much thrust, that his arm stabilizers could also fire repulsor blasts and that's great in the movie!

The arc reactor is purely fictional technology, think of it like a flux capacitor driven by plutonium...But it's realistic in the sense that it is self-contained within it's sphere of believability while Spider-Man 2 claimed that the stupid fireball we saw on the screen was a miniature sun/fusion reactor sitting out in plain sight on a random brick and wood building...Now that was silly and unbelievable.

The biggest technical problems for me is Tony crashing into a solid sand-dune in the desert while falling about 300 feet inside a steel/titanium suit and only suffering a sprained or fractured arm!!! (he only uses a sling, not even a cast). The other issue that bugged me was Pepper pushing the TRANSLATE button on the computer and it translated the Arabic speech into english perfectly including an accent!!!

what he said!

man... if we could only get a home version of the translator so we can watch region 2 disks...

Don't forget Stark testing the repulsors and blasting himself towards the ceiling face first with no helmet, funny yet he should have broken bones and broken his face.

MacrossWorlders nitpicking details? NO!! Inconceivable!

How long have you been a member here? :p

I am sure you can track down a Marvel Legends hulk buster for a good price somewhere. All the new toys may be nice but i would rather stick with the Marvel Legends figures cause they usually have more articulation and cool accessories. I have had a War Machine figure for a while to stick on my wall of black superheroes. I also have the best Deadpool figure ever and it comes with two sword, three guns, and two sais. The War Machine came with all his usual stuff and some extra stuff to make it look like he is shooting missle, and the face of his helmet comes off. Marvel Legends figures are the way to go. Kind of off topic i know

Saw it for the second time tonight and it was just as good.

In addition to the minor nitpicks mentioned above, there was the part when the 10 Rings were water torturing Tony.

At that point he hadn't built the arc reactor and was still using the car battery.

Wouldn't that have shocked the crap out of Tony as well as whoever was dunking him lol?

Regardless, the movie still rocks and as much as I'm looking forward to the Dark Knight, I think this movie set the benchmark pretty high.

I am sure you can track down a Marvel Legends hulk buster for a good price somewhere. All the new toys may be nice but i would rather stick with the Marvel Legends figures cause they usually have more articulation and cool accessories. I have had a War Machine figure for a while to stick on my wall of black superheroes. I also have the best Deadpool figure ever and it comes with two sword, three guns, and two sais. The War Machine came with all his usual stuff and some extra stuff to make it look like he is shooting missle, and the face of his helmet comes off. Marvel Legends figures are the way to go. Kind of off topic i know

Cheers, I found a few on ebay but it's hard work finding one that will ship to the UK and still be a decent price.

I found one webstore over here that claimed to have it so I ordered and got an e-mail back ten minutes later saying they didn't have it all. :angry:

The War Machine figure sounds great, I might have to get that one myself.

Seconded

Thirded, it'd no doubt come with some cool repulsar blasts too.

Or a Transformers version of Iron Man... Oh wait, we're getting one in August. ;)

I hope they do a remould into War Machine, with extra weapons mounted under the wings.

I don't really understand why all of you are arguing the technical aspects of Iron Man...

Because it's fun?

... when I felt the film was pretty realistic...

That word should never be applied to a comic book movie. Ever.

Iron Man was FUN, but about as far from realistic as possible without stretching suspension of disbelief well beyond the breaking point.

The entire suit was powered by the Arc reactor in his chest. The newer model that he built output more power than the biggest nuclear reactor in the world. The smaller one he builds in the cave outputs 3 GW which is about 4 million horsepower.

Speaking of realism...

The arc reactor's silly too.

It certainly helps that we aren't inundated in techbabble though. And it helps even more that they aren't trying to pass it off as real-world tech behaving in a very unreal nature.

(See also: The World Is Not Enough's repeated abuses of and outright inversions of fact when talking about fission, though Spidey had a lot more heart than Bond).

The biggest technical problems for me is Tony crashing into a solid sand-dune in the desert while falling about 300 feet inside a steel/titanium suit and only suffering a sprained or fractured arm!!! (he only uses a sling, not even a cast).

Yeah, that wasn't pretty. Especially how the suit shattered around him without harming him.

The same rules that should splatter Tony in that scene should splatter him equally effectively in many other scenes, though.

Ladies and gentlemen, Newton has left the building.

The other issue that bugged me was Pepper pushing the TRANSLATE button on the computer and it translated the Arabic speech into english perfectly including an accent!!!
But... that was probably the most realistic piece of tech in the entire movie. :p

I just went to see this on the GIANT screen monday night with my fiancee and I must say....it's close to being better than sex. I mean.......sex is GREAT and the movie was REALLY F*in GOOD!

:ph34r:

• 2 months later...

I went to Wal-Mart today and saw the new Invincible Iron Man figure. It's the 12" Repulsor Blast Iron Man figure with a Tony Stark head sculpt and removable helmet, plus laser-vision goggles, spring-open wings and long-range weaponry. At $29.99, it's $10 more than the standard Repulsor Blast figure. Didn't buy it, though, as it lacks the poseability of the 6" Mark III figure and I don't have room for a figure that size.

post-237-1217559453_thumb.jpg

Invincible Iron Man

I thought the same thing. I love the design but I'm not getting any toys unless they make something close to the movie... I never thought they would actually make it...

yup... pre-ordered it. I think mine is $160 shipped.

I thought the same thing. I love the design but I'm not getting any toys unless they make something close to the movie... I never thought they would actually make it...

yup... pre-ordered it. I think mine is $160 shipped.

Nice where did you pre-order from?

• 4 weeks later...