Iron Man the Movie

Ladic

Stane ssaw a sleek suit with no obvious weaponry, a far cry from his hulking monstrousity with massive cannons bolted onto the arms. It's no great surprise that given his "might is right" attitude he thought his suit would be easily superior.

That's what I got from it at least.

I want to see it again but cinema costs too much for repeat screenings and it'll be months til the dvd hits. :(

Yeah thats what I got out of it... it's like Stane thought he had the PS2 while Stark got the PSOne instead of the Playstation that they found in the desert! But what he really had was a PS3 with less hard drive that it usually has...

yeah that's it!

worst analogy.... EVER...

Just wanted to warn those who are looking for some of the six inch figures.

If you're not interested in a good painted figure, then you probably won't care.

Basically you'll want to check the paint on each figure for unpainted spots, messy splotches, missed painted spots, etc. Main areas to look for are the helmet and upper legs.

Out of the six 6 inch Mark 3 suits I looked at, I only found one that was better than the others.

Also look for damaged joints or anything visible through the bubble window.

0000_May_04_2008_0002.jpg

I was fortunate enough to find a Mark 2 (the only one from the 3 stores I visited last night). While excited to find what I want (the Mark 3s color/paint just don't look so good), I was quite disappointed by the quality. Warped rubber joints (fixed with a blow dryer), loose joints (fixed the hips with dental floss, but knees & ankles still very loose), bad paint job (touched up with paint and gundam marker). He finally look decent after some work, but made me feel like Hasbro figures still blow. I like the sculpt, but lots of details got all mushy by the PVC (have to finish some panel lines freehand since the seam disappeared on the sculpt halfway...). Thought I got a lot more toy out of my $9.99 on the TF Movie toys ( thanks to Takara being the designers). The looseness really bug me the most though. Guess I am too spoiled by the Revoltechs, and all other higher end stuff. Hasbro quality just doesn't cut it for me. Still like my Mark 2 though. Looks quite a bit better than stock. But structure and articulation could be a lot better than it is now.

Oh by the way, you can sort of pose the left hand shooting the repulsor cannon/beam...however you call it. Not perfect, but they purposely made the hand guard shorter on the left hand, so it doesn't get in the way as much on the wrist when bending the open palm up. Though it still looks like an after thought anyhow. Just amazed me that these figures got very good reviews in other forums. Guess the standard the general public has on action figures are pretty low. Oh well...

Edited by mpchi

Saw the movie earlier today. It is awesome.

Given my QUITE loose standards for realism in comic book movies, I only saw one real flaw.

Stane and Stark are both looking for a way to keep the business profitable after Stark freezes their weapons production, both of them know about the arc reactor in Stark's chest("Proof that Tony Stark has a heart")...

And neither one of them considers for the briefest of moments that a device the size of a can of beans with more wattage than a large nuclear power plant and no significant thermal, radioactive, or toxic chemical byproducts MIGHT have commercial applications?

Yeeeeah....

Stane and Stark are both looking for a way to keep the business profitable after Stark freezes their weapons production, both of them know about the arc reactor in Stark's chest("Proof that Tony Stark has a heart")...

And neither one of them considers for the briefest of moments that a device the size of a can of beans with more wattage than a large nuclear power plant and no significant thermal, radioactive, or toxic chemical byproducts MIGHT have commercial applications?

Yeeeeah....

I thought Stark's idea for Stark Industries was to market the miniaturized arc reactor, hence Stane's initial poo-pooing of the original reactor as a publicity stunt when Stark mentioned it, then letting in on the fact that he knew about the miniature version keeping Tony alive. It certainly sounded like Tony wanted to move the company in that direction, or was it me placing my thoughts in their head? I think the hard to believe thing will be *why* Stark Industries hasn't mass produced the things by the next movie, unless they explain that he was under massive pressure and personal threat from the oil industry and the government not to. Maybe this further drives him to drink.

It seem to me that he wanted to keep the little improved generator for himself of the risk such power supply could be misused in weapons manufacture. I just pull it from when Stane found out that Stark improved on the design of the generator and basically reduced it to the size of a palm and wanted to take it for the engineers to take a look at it.

It seem to me that he wanted to keep the little improved generator for himself of the risk such power supply could be misused in weapons manufacture. I just pull it from when Stane found out that Stark improved on the design of the generator and basically reduced it to the size of a palm and wanted to take it for the engineers to take a look at it.

Right. If he'd been trying to commercialize it, he'd've offered up the blueprints himself, and Stane wouldn't have had to shout at his goons and then attempt to murder Stark to get it.

Actually Stark did want to do that. But then he found out about his company moving forward with weapons and got mad and decided to do things his own way. Plus he got sidetracked about his weapons being used to kill soldiers so he put everything on the back burner to make the new suits to take out his weapons. Stark Industries always has business, and I am sure he will move on with a different form of the reactor so that it does provide power but is not as advanced as the one in his chest.

Yeah thats what I got out of it... it's like Stane thought he had the PS2 while Stark got the PSOne instead of the Playstation that they found in the desert! But what he really had was a PS3 with less hard drive that it usually has...

yeah that's it!

worst analogy.... EVER...

That really made me laugh, thanks. B))

is anyone else bummed that Xmen and Spiderman can never be brought into the movie MU? Sony and Fox own the rights to use the franchises now, so we'll never see crossovers :(

I'm more upset that this means we'll never see a Marvel Swimsuit Edition for charity...

That's what I like about the concept of these suits - the suits in Guyvey, EXO Man O WAR, etc... share it - life's a bitch but the wearer gets all the TLC. And the beauty of it is they don't even need to go into explaining how it all work.

Well I just came up with this thought today. Wouldn't crashing in the Mark 1 and the Iron Monger suit kill the pilot? Even though the suits could probably withstand the crash, there's nothing like airbags to keep the pilot from getting splattered inside the suit. Just a thought. :unsure:

Don't really think it needs that big of a crash. Just the 'small crash' when Stark first testing his new boots in his garage is enough to crack his skull and ribs. :lol: Though I bet the audience wouldn't laugh as hard if we see him turned into a pile of bloody goo.

Don't really think it needs that big of a crash. Just the 'small crash' when Stark first testing his new boots in his garage is enough to crack his skull and ribs. :lol: Though I bet the audience wouldn't laugh as hard if we see him turned into a pile of bloody goo.

Yeah. And there's not any room for shock absorption in the final suit either.

The Iron Monger suit is the only one that's got ANY room for shock absorption. If you're gonna crash, THAT'S the one you wanna crash in.

But it's a comic book movie. Physics stops at the door.

Otherwise... there's no room for any reactant, so you can't fly in the first place.

And the mini-arc-reactor has WAY too much power output to be cool to the touch. It should've roasted Stark's heart.

And the utter absurdity of building ANY of that in a cave with 80s electronics hobbyist...

Yeah. Suspension of disbelief is your friend.

I don't put ANY thought into a comic book movie. Check your brain at the door deal. That said, I saw it the other night...was pretty entertaining. Robert Downey is great!

And when that doesn't work, the wiki about the current situation of X hero in his comic solves everything:

After being critically injured during a battle with the Extremis-enhanced Mallen, Stark injects his nervous system with a modified techno-organic virus (the Extremis process) that not only saves his life, it gives him the ability to to store the inner layers of the Iron Man armor in the hollows of his bones as well as control it through direct brain impulses. Stark can control the layer of the armor underneath his skin and make it emerge from numerous exit points around his limbs as a gold-colored neural interface under-sheath. While in this form, Stark has technopathic control of the armor and can suit up at any time, calling the larger components to him. Furthermore, the Extremis process has increased his body's recuperative and healing abilities. He is also able to connect remotely to external communications systems such as satellites, cellular phones, and computers throughout the world. Because the armor's operating system is now directly connected to Stark's nervous system, its response time has been significantly improved.

.... there now. Doesn't the movie now sound like a documentary? :lol:

Leaving incriminating proof against yourself in the computer network of the guy you wanted to have killed seems normal to me now. :lol:

Edited by Twoducks

And when that doesn't work, the wiki about the current situation of X hero in his comic solves everything:

.... there now. Doesn't the movie now sound like a documentary? :lol:

Leaving incriminating proof against yourself in the computer network of the guy you wanted to have killed seems normal to me now. :lol:

Didn't that suit end up becoming self aware, but eventually sacrificing itself so that Tony could live? Which led tony to go back to an older model suit because he was paranoid about making another sentient suit?

I liked the movie, but I pretty much gave up on the comics.

The armor that becomes sentient is the SAFE upgrade of the then-modern armor that debuts in '97 after Heroes Reborn... it turns out that the suit is giving off some nasty radiation or some such that is making Tony sick, so he upgrades it, and is then so advanced that after being trashed by Whiplash and struck by lightening, the suit reboots self-aware.

The armor that becomes sentient is the SAFE upgrade of the then-modern armor that debuts in '97 after Heroes Reborn... it turns out that the suit is giving off some nasty radiation or some such that is making Tony sick, so he upgrades it, and is then so advanced that after being trashed by Whiplash and struck by lightening, the suit reboots self-aware.

Thinkingof_.gif:blink:aha1blue.gif

"After being critically injured during a battle with the Extremis-enhanced Mallen, Stark injects his nervous system with a modified techno-organic virus (the Extremis process) that not only saves his life, it gives him the ability to to store the inner layers of the Iron Man armor in the hollows of his bones as well as control it through direct brain impulses. Stark can control the layer of the armor underneath his skin and make it emerge from numerous exit points around his limbs as a gold-colored neural interface under-sheath. While in this form, Stark has technopathic control of the armor and can suit up at any time, calling the larger components to him. Furthermore, the Extremis process has increased his body's recuperative and healing abilities. He is also able to connect remotely to external communications systems such as satellites, cellular phones, and computers throughout the world. Because the armor's operating system is now directly connected to Stark's nervous system, its response time has been significantly improved."

WOW! That is one fine example of modern literature! With imagination beyond imaginable! ^_^

Speaking of ribs... :lol: There's a big 'ol hole where his sternum used to be, I'm surprised he doesn't have breathing problems from his rib cage collapsing on his internal organs. :blink:

Yeah. And there's not any room for shock absorption in the final suit either.

The Iron Monger suit is the only one that's got ANY room for shock absorption. If you're gonna crash, THAT'S the one you wanna crash in.

But it's a comic book movie. Physics stops at the door.

Otherwise... there's no room for any reactant, so you can't fly in the first place.

And the mini-arc-reactor has WAY too much power output to be cool to the touch. It should've roasted Stark's heart.

And the utter absurdity of building ANY of that in a cave with 80s electronics hobbyist...

While I'm aware that it's a movie, I find it more enjoyable if it's technically sound. I would compare that Arc Reactor to a AA battery, just way more advanced. Technology is always being miniaturized and in some cases being made better than the larger counterpart, same theory. At least the thrusters are in his feet and not on his back ala The Rocketeer. I'm surprised the Rocketeer's back pack flames simply don't turn the wearer into a ball of flame, not to mention the heat coming out. :lol:

I'm surprised the Rocketeer's back pack flames simply don't turn the wearer into a ball of flame, not to mention the heat coming out. :lol:

Abestos flight suit. Eventually it gave him cancer, the treatment for which probably turned him into one of the Hulk's villains. :p

Actually, I think the metal housing for the arc reactor is actually grafted into his rib cage, so it supports the ribs, instead of simply "floating" in a hole. You'd want something that keeps you alive securely fastened to you, and not moving around if it's not supossed to.

If the arc reactor is such an incredible power source, wouldn't it be dangerous to simply throw it into the incinerator like he had instructed his assistant?

Well technically even if you threw a nuclear bomb into an incinerator, nothing will happen....except maybe a huge environmental disaster ^_^

That amour-in-bones thing is whacked....its like Weapon-X v 2.0. :lol: Logan would've had a less painful experience with adamantium with Stark's process.

You forgot the computer virus. :p

While I'm aware that it's a movie, I find it more enjoyable if it's technically sound.
Oh, it certainly helps, and I'll readily roast movies for bad tech. Especially if it's done in a serious context.

But comic book movies are pretty much technically unsound by definition.

Spiderman 2 was one of the rare instances of me getting really worked up about comic-book-movie physics.

Largely because their depiction of fusion was wrong on so very many levels. Though I thought Doc Ock's plot-device chip existed solely to avoid doing character development with him(there were plenty of perfectly good reasons for him to snap WITHOUT the robot arms taking over his brain).

At least the thrusters are in his feet and not on his back ala The Rocketeer.

They still don't have any source of fuel, with the possible exception of Stark's booze breath. Or space for a reaction chamber or rocket nozzle.

I give Rocketeer(and the long line of rocketpacks before him) more realism points just for that.

It may cook the legs off, but it at least stands a chance of working(for a minute or so). :p

They werent boot jets pr se, they were repulsors, which is the sci fi tech stark invented to make the suit work.

There was never going to be a way for Iron Man to be technically perfect, coz if it were we'd have Iron Men running around today.

They werent boot jets pr se, they were repulsors, which is the sci fi tech stark invented to make the suit work.

As I understand it, repulsors don't spew smoke and fire.

The glove beams are repulsors and the boot jets are something else.

There was never going to be a way for Iron Man to be technically perfect, coz if it were we'd have Iron Men running around today.

The big problem(at least for a basic powered exoskeleton) at this point is energy density.

It's very difficult to get something that can carry a load AND use a compact power source.

If you could make a multi-gigawatt can of beans like Stark did, we'd have powered armor now.

Hell, they're small enough that if you run up against the limits of the "reactor", you can just add a second, and a third, and a fourth... A large backpack could carry enough electrical power to supply an entire nation(remember, EACH ONE outputs more electricity than the largest nuclear reactors on Earth.).

Certainly flight and palm guns present other issues. But you could probably slap a small railgun along the forearm with a power supply like that(another tech on the verge of feasability, waiting for the right power supply).

Or mount it on the shoulder(hello, War Machine), though that makes for more difficult aiming.

You MIGHT could set up a Macross-style jet engine for flight. Use electricity from the arc reactor to create heat instead of combustion. But there's a lot more problems with humanoid flight that raw power just won't solve(hence why Stark needed the glove repulsors in the first place).

That's part of what makes Iron Man so interesting. The concept is approaching the upper bounds of reality.

Edited by JB0