The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

So Nov 2006 and newer models should have the smaller CPU? I have a 360 as well, but I think it was made before then. There have been a few instances where my 360 would freeze...but that's only been in a few demos that I've played...probably because of over heating (no problem with GoW though). I probably do have the older/bigger chip. Other than that though I haven't had any real problems with mine.

With the way things are looking now with the PS3, I don't think I'll be getting one for at least 3 to 5 years...if I do ever get one. There will have to be some 'must buy' game (like Halo 3 on the 360) on the PS3 if I were to buy one.

Actually upon some asking, I guess not...appears the smaller CPU won't hit 'til mid-2007. I knew they were shooting for last year. I thought they had succeeded since that was one of the reasons they said the cost had dropped for them. It would help the sytem run a lil cooler...now if they would only replace that noisy disc drive.

I might get a PS3, when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes with it in a bundle or something similar, I really enjoyed playing the previous Metal Gears. Of course knowing konami they'll bring out a special edition later on as well like they done with MGS2 & MGS3 :angry:

That's also assuming the rumours about MGS being ported to the 360 are false.

That's also assuming the rumours about MGS being ported to the 360 are false.

:huh: I've not heard any rumours, then again PS3 is not even released in my country yet till March.

:huh: I've not heard any rumours, then again PS3 is not even released in my country yet till March.

With the rather lackluster acceptance of the PS3, can Konami really justify the development costs for a game limited to that one platform? While I don't know, the rumours I've been reading have said "no".

I haven't heard that rumour, but it makes sense. MGS4 is supposedly a very expensive game for Konami. That means it would have to sell exceptionally well just to turn a modest profit. Even if it sells as well as the previous MGS games, at $50-60 bucks a pop it probably wouldn't make nearly the profit for Konami as those previous games. Diminishing returns and all that. Given that the PS3 isn't likely to sell in the same sort of numbers as the PS2, that's less chance for the game to sell as much.

With the rather lackluster acceptance of the PS3/

Try lack of them. The units are just now starting to meet demands as can be seen by the increasingly reduced number of overpriced ebay units for sale.

Konami would be utter fools for not porting it over. More units sold means more money. The intial development cost is the worst and is usually remade by the original release, porting is far cheaper because generally no additional media needs to be developed only recoding. Unless you have a DOOM3 senario.

Try lack of them. The units are just now starting to meet demands as can be seen by the increasingly reduced number of overpriced ebay units for sale.

Konami would be utter fools for not porting it over. More units sold means more money. The intial development cost is the worst and is usually remade by the original release, porting is far cheaper because generally no additional media needs to be developed only recoding. Unless you have a DOOM3 senario.

There are lots of them here in the OC, no one is buying them around here

in other news, "IGN picks PS3 as best new console of 2006"

and I thought Sony said that the PS3 was not a game console :blink: ;;

MGS4 preorder for PS3 and 360 supposedly starts next week at Gamestop.

Konami is doing rumble for 360.

So if I can preorder it next week, I'll let you guys know. I'll probably preorder it for both systems. I gotta justify the PS3 somehow. Maybe FF13....

MGS4 preorder for PS3 and 360 supposedly starts next week at Gamestop.

Konami is doing rumble for 360.

So if I can preorder it next week, I'll let you guys know. I'll probably preorder it for both systems. I gotta justify the PS3 somehow. Maybe FF13....

Kojima has stated that they should be able to get MGS4 running on the 360. He's also expressed his displeasure with Sony not supporting rumble any more.

I lost interest in the series after the PS1 game, but I might give this one a spin if it's on the 360.

Games companies are just running out of ideas, there is nothing new that appeals to people. They either bring out countless sequels or make games that are just too similar with each other or copying other popular titles. And also re-releasing old titles with updated graphics. This is the reason why i think game consoles are not selling anymore.

So is it that the PS3 ITSELF doesn't support rumble, or did the controllers just not have it? I mean if Logitech were to make a controller WITH rumble, would it still work?

If Logitech made a controller with rumble, the game would have to support it...it would would work fine otherwise, assuming the developer of the game pays Immersion as well.

I mean if Logitech were to make a controller WITH rumble, would it still work?

The problem is that the company that made the rumble feature in the first place has told Sony that the PS3 can't have it. Microsoft got hit the same way, but simply bought the offending company and continued to make rumble-friendly games.

Microsoft bought Immersion?

I heard that they settled with Immersion and paid to license the technology, and that Nintendo had been paying Immersion all along. Sony refused to settle with Immersion, then proceeded to lose to them in court. Then they refused to license the technology and simply removed the feature from the PS3.

For those who owns a PS2 and wants to buy a PS3, Gamestop/EBGames have a special trade in program that ends tomorrow (Thursday, Jan 18).

You can trade in your old PS2 (plus one controller and memory card) for a $100 trade in towards a PS3 (usually the trade in values at $40).

More info here:

PS2 TRADE IN

Confirmed PS3 to be released in UK March 23. Sony does not intend to release the 20 gig version because it didn't manage to sell that much in the USA. So they are selling the 60 gig version for £425!!!! ($832)!!!!

Edited by kung flu

If I was in the UK, I'd want to get a North American or Japanese version depending if I liked anime or not. Both are Blu-ray region A and the toss up would depend whether I wanted North American Region 1 DVD or Japan/Euro Region 2 DVD... You also get Japan Playstation and PS2 region from a JDM PS3...

Confirmed PS3 to be released in UK March 23. Sony does not intend to release the 20 gig version because it didn't manage to sell that much in the USA. So they are selling the 60 gig version for £425!!!! ($832)!!!!

Hardware and software in the Europe/UK has always been insanely expensive. Considering the 360 sells for about £299 ($586) and the Wii 149GBP ($294). If you live in that part of the world prepare to be wallet raped if you play games as a hobby. :D

Hardware and software in the Europe/UK has always been insanely expensive. Considering the 360 sells for about �299 ($586) and the Wii 149GBP ($294). If you live in that part of the world prepare to be wallet raped if you play games as a hobby. :D

Yeah our stuff are always more expensive, and we don't always get the same games as the US or Japan. We in Europe are always left with the scraps. :angry:

If i was to buy a US or Japanese PS3 it would still cost more to import, cause in the UK we need to pay import duty, clearance fee, VAT, customs.....blah blah blah :angry:

Also Sony has put a stop to importers such as lik sang :angry:

He's asking why did Sony stop Lik-Sang.

Well Sony is threatening to sue every retailer that intends to import PS3 into the UK and the rest of Europe, cause they only want the people in that region to buy the official European version, they claim it takes away from their profits,infringes copyright and other techno babble stuff.

They sued against lik-sang and succeeded, and because of this and legal cost, lik-sang was forced to close down. This is also a warning to other retailers, so they have stopped importing is well. Ebay also banned listings offering shipping to Europe. The lik-sang web site has a more in depth explanation of why they closed down.

www.lik-sang.com

I had some idea about Lik-Sang's fate but I wasn't sure, and I definitely had no idea that other retailers as well as Ebay halted their sales and auctions to Europe as well-wow.

In regards to cost, why are hardware and software made more expensive in Europe?

Well Sony is threatening to sue every retailer that intends to import PS3 into the UK and the rest of Europe, cause they only want the people in that region to buy the official European version, they claim it takes away from their profits,infringes copyright and other techno babble stuff.

They sued against lik-sang and succeeded, and because of this and legal cost, lik-sang was forced to close down. This is also a warning to other retailers, so they have stopped importing is well. Ebay also banned listings offering shipping to Europe. The lik-sang web site has a more in depth explanation of why they closed down.

www.lik-sang.com

Lik-sang could have remained open. When selling hardware from Sony, they are obligated by the terms that it will not be sold in Europe. This is also because of the stricter importation laws and not only maintaining a profit. Lik-sang is actually making a huger deal out of this than it is. For one, they never even went to court and had no legal costs. They didn't pay Sony any fines. They didn't lose anything other than the fact that they were supposed to stop selling PSP's in Europe when asked( and were obligated by since they first agreed NOT to). The whole matter is being blown out of proportion by Lik-sang. Do some real hunting and you'll find out why it goes much deeper than what it appears to be.

I know it's easy to take Li-Sang's word on this one but there's actually a whole other reason why Lik-sang decided to close it's doors (but blamed it on the PSP fiasco) and it's not something you'd expect.

Or maybe you might since you know where they were based and most people know what's going on in that region regarding hardware and software and....other forms of hardware. I cannot say more than that. ;)

Lik-sang could have remained open. When selling hardware from Sony, they are obligated by the terms that it will not be sold in Europe. This is also because of the stricter importation laws and not only maintaining a profit. Lik-sang is actually making a huger deal out of this than it is. For one, they never even went to court and had no legal costs. They didn't pay Sony any fines. They didn't lose anything other than the fact that they were supposed to stop selling PSP's in Europe when asked( and were obligated by since they first agreed NOT to). The whole matter is being blown out of proportion by Lik-sang. Do some real hunting and you'll find out why it goes much deeper than what it appears to be.

I know it's easy to take Li-Sang's word on this one but there's actually a whole other reason why Lik-sang decided to close it's doors (but blamed it on the PSP fiasco) and it's not something you'd expect.

Or maybe you might since you know where they were based and most people know what's going on in that region regarding hardware and software and....other forms of hardware. I cannot say more than that. ;)

Actually it was reported on UK TV, that because of legal cost and the fact Sony won a court action against them in London they were forced to close because of the amount of money they had to pay out to their legal team and to Sony. This wasn't only about the PSP but the whole range of playstation gear. Sony did take action with the PSP, but they didn't win that case, So then they took action against the import of PS3 to Europe and won. Sony didn't want anyone importing PS3 before the European launch date. Their argument was that the European PS3 has different specs than Japan and USA and that it was a safety issue, the courts in London accepted this and so lik-sang lost that case. Now every retailer i know of has stopped importing PS3 hardware.

I had some idea about Lik-Sang's fate but I wasn't sure, and I definitely had no idea that other retailers as well as Ebay halted their sales and auctions to Europe as well-wow.

In regards to cost, why are hardware and software made more expensive in Europe?

I haven't a clue why they are so expensive, it's probably something to do with taxes or Sony bumping up the prices just for Europeans. The USA and Japan are the bigger markets, so they sell more stuff than in Europe thats probably another reason.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea.

BUT more info from Nyko marketing:

Thanks for your interest in Nyko's Play Adaptor for PlayStation 3. The Play Adaptor will be hitting store shelves nationwide during late Q1 of this year for a suggested retail price of $19.99. The device will be fully compatible with all PlayStation 2 controllers, steering wheels and guitar controllers for playing PlayStation 2 software on the PlayStation 3.

For more information on the Play Adaptor and other exciting Nyko products please sign up for our newsletter at www.nyko.com <http://www.nyko.com/> .

Ali Miller

Marketing Assistant

Nyko Technologies

1990 Westwood Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA, 90025