The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

Almost 100% agree, but I'll reserve judgement on the games until I actually play one. I'll also be watching for that killer app, if it shows up.

Lol. I'm still waiting for the 360's killer app...

Lol. I'm still waiting for the 360's killer app...

That is why you never buy at/near launch, unless the killer app was fortunate enough to see release at the same time (Like Soul Calibur and the Dreamcast).

Unless they screw it up big time, the killer app (aka the selling point for me regarding the X-Box 360) will be Halo 3. Your mileage may vary.

I know it has been said before, but I can't get over what a strange choice for the pack-in movie Talladega Knights makes.

I find it kind of aggravating that Sony is marketing this console with commercials that announce its release date. They know that all units are basically already sold (via pre-orders and such) so why waste the money and get some kid's hopes up. It's not like anyone is going to be able to walk into a store and buy one off the shelf anytime before Christmas. Or is there supposed to be another shipment by then?

I know it has been said before, but I can't get over what a strange choice for the pack-in movie Talladega Knights makes.

I find it kind of aggravating that Sony is marketing this console with commercials that announce its release date. They know that all units are basically already sold (via pre-orders and such) so why waste the money and get some kid's hopes up. It's not like anyone is going to be able to walk into a store and buy one off the shelf anytime before Christmas. Or is there supposed to be another shipment by then?

Every console maker makes a big deal about launch date. And yes, there will be shipments through the end of the year, but it will still be hard to find. Just look at the 360 launch last year. All the additional shipments were going to pre-orders and whoever was lucky enough to find one at a Wal-mart/Best Buy etc.

IGN has a retail unit:

PS3 Retail in hand

Damn those composite cables!!

IPB Image

yeah no kidding... for a system that touts "1080p!" on every game case, even the ones that aren't 1080p native it seems kinda backwards to not be High Def out of the box. 'course a frugal consumer can buy an HDMI cable off the internet for $10 but whenever the PS3 becomes readily available in the following months theres going to be A LOT of moms/grandmas buying the Sony HDMI cable that'll be on the shelf right next to the PS3 for whatever they want to charge for it (my guess is around $40-50).

Well the one saving grace scenario here is that many PS2 owners already have the component cables from the Multi-AV out. I was planning on using that for my bedroom 34" 16:9 CRT HDTV and I have an extra HDMI cable anyways, though.

That is quite shocking UN Spacy. Thanks for the link.

It's sickening to see one of my hobbies turn out like that. It's like one of those inside reports you see on "the fifth estate" or "60 Minutes" where the find out seniors are abused and mistreated in terrible conditions at retirement homes. Though surely not as dramatic nor serious, this is no less disturbing.

dang, I just got word that the people waiting outside of best buy in burbank last tuesday was told on saturday that they couldn't camp out there and that they had to come back at least a day before the launch date! suckas! wasted a 4 days of their lives for nothing. haha :D:p:lol:

I was watching a kid play the PS3 at Target the other day and the graphics are indeed awesome in high-def. He was playing an off-road 4x4 game. Of course the shelves were empty of any PS3 game, component, etc., wish they had on demo instead the shooter games instead though. Are stores demoing the Wii though? At Target they had the Wii just playing the same 60: sec commercial over and over. Like the PS3 the Wii racks were emptied. I did se a slot for Zelda: Twilight Princess, did that come out on launch and is it out for the Gamecube as well?

Gamestop by me has a Wii on display. No PS3 yet. You have to leave an ID with the cashier if you want to use the controller. I didn't have time to wait in line, but it had a driving game on demo that was interesting to watch people use the controller to drive.

I'm really ticked off that most of the PS3s being sold are going on some auction site so people can rip people off.

I find it real sad, why couldn't Ebay, Yahoo,etc be more stricter and ban the selling of launch before and after it comes out, because I know alot of people are losing their sanity because of this, and hell (no offense) I bet some of you jerks on Macross World are selling it to just to make some profit. :angry:

Enjoy the system, its meant to be played not profited... :(

Nice post on video though, I can see why it takes so long to make them. You would need Dell for this kind of job.

Edit: As in Dell to help mass produce them, but I guess Sony can handle them selves.

Edited by Ishimaru

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/gamestop...-ps3-preorders/

-----

GameStop cannot fill PS3 preorders

Posted Nov 13th 2006 5:40PM by Ross Miller

Retail chain GameStop has confirmed to news outlet GameSpot that, despite playing it cool with PlayStation 3 pre-orders (approximately 8-12 units promised per store), the retail chain cannot fulfill all the initial preorders after receiving a launch allocation number from Sony. That's right, folks: even though you've already given the store $100 to reserve the system, you may not get one at launch.

GameStop has done the smart move of asking its employees to wait on their purchases until the second shipment. A representative who spoke to GameSpot is "anticipating having systems to cover reservations before Christmas." Those who have a preorder through GameStop should be contacted by phone and given a status update. The unfortunate souls who have a PS3 preorder but will not receive one at launch will be given a free used game or DVD valued less than $20 ... whenever they finally get their PS3.

After having promised $100 to the company, it's unlikely most customers will be willing to spend $600 elsewhere -- or wait in line, for that matter, when they already did so a month prior. It's too soon to tell who's fault this is, the retail outlet or Sony itself. We'll know soon enough just how many units will be sold on launch day.

What happens to those who put their PS3 on eBay and now get it delayed? Will they be faulted for GameStop's actions?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/13/gamestop...-ps3-preorders/

-----

GameStop cannot fill PS3 preorders

Posted Nov 13th 2006 5:40PM by Ross Miller

Retail chain GameStop has confirmed to news outlet GameSpot that, despite playing it cool with PlayStation 3 pre-orders (approximately 8-12 units promised per store), the retail chain cannot fulfill all the initial preorders after receiving a launch allocation number from Sony. That's right, folks: even though you've already given the store $100 to reserve the system, you may not get one at launch.

GameStop has done the smart move of asking its employees to wait on their purchases until the second shipment. A representative who spoke to GameSpot is "anticipating having systems to cover reservations before Christmas." Those who have a preorder through GameStop should be contacted by phone and given a status update. The unfortunate souls who have a PS3 preorder but will not receive one at launch will be given a free used game or DVD valued less than $20 ... whenever they finally get their PS3.

After having promised $100 to the company, it's unlikely most customers will be willing to spend $600 elsewhere -- or wait in line, for that matter, when they already did so a month prior. It's too soon to tell who's fault this is, the retail outlet or Sony itself. We'll know soon enough just how many units will be sold on launch day.

What happens to those who put their PS3 on eBay and now get it delayed? Will they be faulted for GameStop's actions?

Gamestop took the pre-orders...they prob took way more than they should have before they even knew their numbers...just like they did last year with 360. In other news, all of a sudden, many of the bigger city Best Buys are reportedly going to be "launch centers" with 100-200 units. :wacko: Just a few mind you...but I wonder.

LOL On the ebayers with pre-order auctions from GS though. :lol:

Edited by Gaijin

You know what they say...You can't rip the willing. :o

True...while I don't agree with it, it is an auction...people don't have to buy it..they could have stood in line like everyone else, etc. to get one.

Edited by Gaijin

I'm really ticked off that most of the PS3s being sold are going on some auction site so people can rip people off.

I find it real sad, why couldn't Ebay, Yahoo,etc be more stricter and ban the selling of launch before and after it comes out, because I know alot of people are losing their sanity because of this, and hell (no offense) I bet some of you jerks on Macross World are selling it to just to make some profit. :angry:

From what I've heard, eBay is actually pretty strict with people selling PS3's. You have to have 50 positive feedbacks and can only sell one system per account. That said, the fact is we live in a free market economy and those crazy auction prices exist because of all the idiots who will pay those prices, it's not the fault of the sellers.

Enjoy the system, its meant to be played not profited... :(

Yeah, that's it costs $600 right? Maybe Sony should just hand them out for free as a charity benefit...

I really have no pity for the people who rush out on the launch of a new system and buy it. They end up paying more, going through a big hassle and for what... to play shitty launch games before anyone else? They can do what they want but saying "oh, poor them" is silly.

From what I've heard, eBay is actually pretty strict with people selling PS3's. You have to have 50 positive feedbacks and can only sell one system per account. That said, the fact is we live in a free market economy and those crazy auction prices exist because of all the idiots who will pay those prices, it's not the fault of the sellers.

Yeah, that's it costs $600 right? Maybe Sony should just hand them out for free as a charity benefit...

I really have no pity for the people who rush out on the launch of a new system and buy it. They end up paying more, going through a big hassle and for what... to play shitty launch games before anyone else? They can do what they want but saying "oh, poor them" is silly.

Yeah. But all auction sites should just ban the issue, people that don't need the system will stop buying it for profits, make everyone else happy.

I swear this is like WoW chinese farmers all over again, well kind of. Blizzard can stop chinese farming anytime, they have the power, but they don't want to since they know they would lose money. Nearly the same exact issue with this. Greed will enslave us all, and I know it.