The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

Has anybody installed a wiikey on their wii yet. I know a site selling them for $25 and am really tempted to get one to play imports and backups.

I'm all for being able to mod a system if you want to b/c I like playing import games (have been doing so since PS1 days w/ Macross Digital Mission VFX being my first import), but I wouldn't mod a Wii right now. Their latest update bricked Wii's that had certain mod chips, some chips do still work though. If you're like me and just want to play imports, then wait until either the Freeloader or the Action Replay come out on the Wii. I still don't know if Nintendo has fixed their latest update that also stopped people from using Gamecube action replays and freeloaders on the Wii console to play gamecube games. I had heard they were gonna fix that "glitch" in their latest update, but I'm not sure if it's happened yet (I had also read that if Nintendo stopped people from using those, it somehow violated a US law about "owning" electronic equipment or something like that, so I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't want to welcome any lawsuits). To be honest, the latest update that stopped Freeloader and Action Replay users was plain stupid anyway since those devices let you either cheat or play imports, which can be fun (cheating) or earn Nintendo more money (importers that play games that never come to the US and there are a ton of those).

Edited by protostar8

I'm all for being able to mod a system if you want to b/c I like playing import games (have been doing so since PS1 days w/ Macross Digital Mission VFX being my first import), but I wouldn't mod a Wii right now. Their latest update bricked Wii's that had certain mod chips, some chips do still work though. If you're like me and just want to play imports, then wait until either the Freeloader or the Action Replay come out on the Wii. I still don't know if Nintendo has fixed their latest update that also stopped people from using Gamecube action replays and freeloaders on the Wii console to play gamecube games. I had heard they were gonna fix that "glitch" in their latest update, but I'm not sure if it's happened yet (I had also read that if Nintendo stopped people from using those, it somehow violated a US law about "owning" electronic equipment or something like that, so I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't want to welcome any lawsuits). To be honest, the latest update that stopped Freeloader and Action Replay users was plain stupid anyway since those devices let you either cheat or play imports, which can be fun (cheating) or earn Nintendo more money (importers that play games that never come to the US and there are a ton of those).

Don't even go there. We could argue for months about the rational behind regioning stuff, just google it.

But I would like to know if anyone has heard of a way to hack into Japan's Wii Shopping Channel like they have for Jap-XBox live?

Are you saying that its confirmed that freeloader and action replay no longer work because of the latest update? Anyword if nintendo is going to re-enable them with a subsequent update?

That really ticks me off...I was going to order freeloader next week to play a gundam game for gamecube.

Maybe I'll just get a japanese system...but Overall I'm getting a little tired of the lack of hard core games and nintendo's attitude abouth the wii.

Question: Has Nintendo released any kind of firmware upgrade that will let you use the classic controller to play gamecube games? Or do you still have to have a specific gamecube controller? I only ask because I picked up a copy of Twin Snakes a while ago, never really wanted to pick up a gamecube, but do plan on eventually getting a wii. Just wondering if I should also track down a gamecube controller.

You still need a Cube controller. On the flip side, though, if you hold down one of the shoulder buttons on the Cube controller when loading a Virtual Console game, you can use the Cube controller instead of the Classic.

You still need a Cube controller. On the flip side, though, if you hold down one of the shoulder buttons on the Cube controller when loading a Virtual Console game, you can use the Cube controller instead of the Classic.

Cool, thanks. I may end up picking one up soon, though I don't plan on snagging a wii for a while.

Midway's Cruis'n on the Wii. I am going to have to agree with some of the observations that this barely looks better then N64 games, let alone DS games. I know the Wii is basically "two Gamecubes duct-taped together", but a game from a publisher as big as Midway looking this bad is just like, wow. :blink: This would have barely passed as a Dreamcast launch game!

Did anyone read the news that the Wii is now (barely) leading the next-gen console war? The Xbox 360's sold in America is still outselling the Wii in America, or any other territory, but the Wii has taken the worldwide lead because almost nobody bought a 360 in Japan.

Both consoles are enjoying total sales that have outpaced the PS3 by slightly more than 2:1.

Midway's Cruis'n on the Wii. I am going to have to agree with some of the observations that this barely looks better then N64 games, let alone DS games. I know the Wii is basically "two Gamecubes duct-taped together", but a game from a publisher as big as Midway looking this bad is just like, wow. :blink: This would have barely passed as a Dreamcast launch game!

I suspect that developers are rushing to get games on the Wii. Most people took a hesitant "wait and see" attitude with the Wii, and now that it's so crazy popular, devs want a piece of that market.

Unfortunately, crap rush-job games like this will only reinforce the idea that the Wii can only do Gamecube quality graphics, and worse.

That's not the point, though. Just because graphics aren't the Wii's selling point doesn't mean developers should toss together something that would be considered poor looking two generations ago just to have a game out on the popular console. Chances are, the controls in this game are nothing unique or exciting either.

Did anyone read the news that the Wii is now (barely) leading the next-gen console war? The Xbox 360's sold in America is still outselling the Wii in America, or any other territory, but the Wii has taken the worldwide lead because almost nobody bought a 360 in Japan.

Both consoles are enjoying total sales that have outpaced the PS3 by slightly more than 2:1.

Yeah and it's a good thing to bring up when some people want to system-fight. Nintendo's laughing all the way to the bank.

Yea but they weren't bragging about the Wii's graphical capabilities. It was all about game play with this system. The funky innovative control system is what really sells the Wii.

That's no excuse to make a game look like @$$.

Yeah, we get it, the Wii isn't capable of the same slick HD visuals that the PS360s are cranking out. But when I first saw screens for Cruis'n, I thought it was a game for cell phones.

All things considered, the Gamecube was still technically more powerful than the PS2, the Wii being somewhat more powerful than that, there's absolutely no reason a game as ugly as this should exist on it. This isn't the freakin' jaguar!

That's no excuse to make a game look like @$$.

Yeah, we get it, the Wii isn't capable of the same slick HD visuals that the PS360s are cranking out. But when I first saw screens for Cruis'n, I thought it was a game for cell phones.

Have you guys not been paying attention to all the Mario Galaxy videos going around lately?

One look at that will quickly dispel any dispel any pre-conceptions about the Wii's grahpics capabilities, this Cruisn game doesn't look like it could even be on the same system by comparison.

Yes, the Wii is going to be hit by wave after wave of Shovel Ware as every single developer out there relaizes thet can knock out ahalf arsed game, put it on the shelves and wait for this new casual (and uninformed) gamer market to blindly buy it. :rolleyes:

Metroid Prime 3 is also looking fantastic. The most recent screenshots I've seen really show how it shines over the previous games in the visuals department.

Manhunt 2 FINALLY gets a release date.

OCTOBER 31st, 2007.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=8266

After much controversy regarding the release of its graphically violent horror title, Manhunt 2, Rockstar today announced that the game has been cleared for an October release in the US. After working with the ESRB on this issue, Rockstar was apparently able to tone things down enough so that the game will now be given an "M" (Mature) rating, rather than the "AO" (Adults Only) that the ESRB had previously handed out.

"Manhunt 2 is important to us, and we're glad it can finally be appreciated as a gaming experience," said Sam Houser, founder and executive producer of Rockstar Games. "We love the horror genre. Manhunt 2 is a powerful piece of interactive story telling that is a unique video game experience. We think horror fans will love it."

Manhunt 2 will be released for the Wii, PS2, and PSP on October 31st. There's no word yet on a release for regions outside the US.

Manhunt 2 FINALLY gets a release date.

OCTOBER 31st, 2007.

Which is awesome news for the three people in the world actually looking forward to it. Good on you, fellas, I'm going to be playing Ace Combat.

Are there NO Metroid fans on MW?

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was released today!

IGN = 9.5

http://wii.ign.com/articles/815/815424p1.html

Gamespot = 9.0

I'm a fan... but I'm a bigger Tiger Woods fan. And a bigger Gundam fan. So I have to get Dynasty Warriors Gundam and Tiger Woods 08 first.

*sigh* Bored all summer, broke come winter...

IGN = 9.5

Gamespot = 9.0

Heh, I'm actually avoiding Metroid right now. At least until I finish the big project I started when I saw the videos on the Preview channel. I seriously hope a new 2D Metroid for the DS isn't too far behind.

IGN = 9.5

Gamespot = 9.0

You got one right here my man. B))

I'll be purchasing it at the start of next month as one of the few Wii titles I'll own.

Hopefully I'll be getting all these before the end of the year.

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

WiiFit?

Additional Wiimotes and Nunchucks

Let me rephase that..."old school" shooters (of the Asteroids, Space Invaders, and Robotron). I played it at comicon and the controls were great with the Wii-remote and nunchuk :-)

Edited by Gunbuster

Has there been any difinitive news on wether or not Katamari is coming to the Wii? I see a listing for it on Amazon but that's hardly a solid confirmation. My gut instinct is 'no', but I really hope it does. I'll never buy a 360 or PS3 so it would suck (for me) if Katamari is only released on those systems.

One of the best games I've played on the Wii. Definitely hits that "traditional gamer" appeal, too. Much better control scheme than any FPS games I've seen on the Wii. Loive the immerseive touches, like reachforward with the remote to interact with door controls, thrusting forward with the nunchuck to toss the grappling hook, then pulling back to tear a shield away from an enemy or rip a door out of its hinges.

Gorgeous game, too.

I haven't played much further than the opening levels. I just hope it doesn't go "all action, all the time FPS madness", and sticks to the moody ambiance and exploration of previous games. The opening levels are pretty hectic. You always feel like you need to rush to the next area, both on the ship and when the leviathan appears.

One of the best games I've played on the Wii. Definitely hits that "traditional gamer" appeal, too. Much better control scheme than any FPS games I've seen on the Wii. Loive the immerseive touches, like reachforward with the remote to interact with door controls, thrusting forward with the nunchuck to toss the grappling hook, then pulling back to tear a shield away from an enemy or rip a door out of its hinges.

Gorgeous game, too.

I haven't played much further than the opening levels. I just hope it doesn't go "all action, all the time FPS madness", and sticks to the moody ambiance and exploration of previous games. The opening levels are pretty hectic. You always feel like you need to rush to the next area, both on the ship and when the leviathan appears.

The first part of the game is VERY action oriented and almost has a Halo feel to it, but once you get past the first planet, it's good ole Metroid goodness... a lot more exploring and puzzle solving with standard critter fights thrown in. Hyper mode is SWEET, but I know there's more to it than just temporary One Woman Army mode. There's just gotta be a bigger downside than losing a full health tank.

I REALLY hope that future FPS games rip off MP3's control scheme. This is how it should be done!

One thing I REALLY like about this is that you start off with some of the more advanced moves you had to find in previous games like the Morph ball, ball bombs, Varia Suit and double jump. SO nice to have those right away... OH! Gone is the old bomb jump method. now you just flick the remote up and you jump... but you can still use the old method if you'd like ;)

Edited by Zeta Otaku

Heh, ja. I was just about to post an update as I've been playing around on the second planet. Definitely oldschool Metroid goodness. Also, got the grapple beam, and figured out how to implement that into my SL metroid build, faking it using teleports. Sweet! Now if only I didn't have to work tonight...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...