The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

GT Pro Series looks like a crappy PSone game, good job UbiSoft.

I'm beginning to really dislike the graphics of the Wii. You can tell me it's about gameplay all you want, but if I'm paying $250 for a system plus another $50 for a game I don't want a game that looks like it could have been made five years ago.

That's the only game on the Wii that really looks bad. Everything else looks like nicer Gamecube games.

GT Pro Series looks like a crappy PSone game, good job UbiSoft.

I'm beginning to really dislike the graphics of the Wii. You can tell me it's about gameplay all you want, but if I'm paying $250 for a system plus another $50 for a game I don't want a game that looks like it could have been made five years ago.

Oh sure, you say that now, But when fresh new games like Mario Paint Kart Party XVIII (now featuring Bowser's twin brother, umm...Browser) comes out you'll change your tune quickly enough.

Nintendo: Resting on our laurels since 1996.

That's the only game on the Wii that really looks bad. Everything else looks like nicer Gamecube games.

I'm having doubts on that. Some games could actually look like next gen games if game devs know what they are doing. Remember its not about graphics, its gameplay and story that matter the most.

Oh sure, you say that now, But when fresh new games like Mario Paint Kart Party XVIII (now featuring Bowser's twin brother, umm...Browser) comes out you'll change your tune quickly enough.

Nintendo: Resting on our laurels since 1996.

Bwuh?

Bwuh?

Nintendo has relied for far too long countless iterations of the same old kid friendly franchises, at the expense of having even a moderate sized game library. I nearly bought a Gamecube a few years ago to play Star Wars: Rogue Whatchamacallit, then realized that it would be the only game I owned on that system. Nintendo is great if you like Zelda, or Metroid, or Mario Anything, but really limited in any other respects. I fully expect Wii will travel the same path.

But hey, lookit that funky "nunchuk" controller. :rolleyes:

I'm having doubts on that. Some games could actually look like next gen games if game devs know what they are doing. Remember its not about graphics, its gameplay and story that matter the most.

And this title has none of those 3. You are totally missing the point.

And...no, they won't look as next gen as either of the other 2. Will games begin to look better? Sure..but not by leaps and bounds above what you see now. Not on that hardware. I agree with graphics don't make everything but that wasn't really the point of those screenshots.

Wii is fun...but you cannot possibly tell me people are looking forward to that Ubisoft racer. The point was games can have all 3 nowadays. That one certainly is missing at least one and I'm sure it doesn't got a great story, so maybe it could have some interesting gameplay...it's a racer. Even Excite Truck is worlds above that one I'll bet.

Edit: I maintain that this particular game looks like crap compared to other Wii titles.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/846/846379/vids_1.html

Edited by Gaijin

Gameplay? I think that fits into every type of game whether its FPS, Racing, RTS, etc.

Just pointing out what I meant. :)

I doubt that the gameplay in this racer will be long remembered. :p but maybe the wheel add -on will make up for it.

Nintendo has relied for far too long countless iterations of the same old kid friendly franchises, at the expense of having even a moderate sized game library. I nearly bought a Gamecube a few years ago to play Star Wars: Rogue Whatchamacallit, then realized that it would be the only game I owned on that system. Nintendo is great if you like Zelda, or Metroid, or Mario Anything, but really limited in any other respects. I fully expect Wii will travel the same path.

By your theory Square should have stopped Final Fantasy a long time ago (I agree, but...). Sure they have the same faces, but Mario's been in everything from platformers to racing games, RPGs, and puzzle games. There's alot of variety, but they use the same mascots. So what? They're usually all fun to play. If they weren't they wouldn't be selling so well.

and yeah that GT game looks like it was made for the DS or GBA

And this title has none of those 3. You are totally missing the point.

And...no, they won't look as next gen as either of the other 2. Will games begin to look better? Sure..but not by leaps and bounds above what you see now. Not on that hardware. I agree with graphics don't make everything but that wasn't really the point of those screenshots.

Wii is fun...but you cannot possibly tell me people are looking forward to that Ubisoft racer. The point was games can have all 3 nowadays. That one certainly is missing at least one and I'm sure it doesn't got a great story, so maybe it could have some interesting gameplay...it's a racer. Even Excite Truck is worlds above that one I'll bet.

Edit: I maintain that this particular game looks like crap compared to other Wii titles.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/846/846379/vids_1.html

Who exactly is looking forward to it? :p

No one had even mentioned that game until you brought it up, like I said earlier it's just a cheap quick effort that Ubisfoft threw onto the pile of launch games to give parents with too much money (and an appetite for spoiling their kids) more choice.

There are games with great graphics coming (Zelda anyone?) and like any system the graphics will improve over time with developer familiarity and new compression technology etc

I'm probably in the minority, but I really loathe video game narratives. I can tolerate stuff like Yakuza, but by and large games trying to pass themselves off as epic stories piss me off with crappy writing and development. If I want a good story I'll pick up a novel. Although I might be biased, as much of my gameplay interests focus on shooters, so... :rolleyes:

I'm probably in the minority, but I really loathe video game narratives. I can tolerate stuff like Yakuza, but by and large games trying to pass themselves off as epic stories piss me off with crappy writing and development. If I want a good story I'll pick up a novel. Although I might be biased, as much of my gameplay interests focus on shooters, so... :rolleyes:

I don't mind gameplay narratives as long as they're not two animated heads talking for hours on end.

Good games are getting harder and harder to find now days. I feel that developers are focusing on the wrong things. Sure, awesome physics, cool attacks and nice graphics are fun but that isn't going to keep me playing. The story could be great but I might not wish to complete the game if it isn't that fun to play. I find few games that give consideration to what happens after you beat the game.

The problem with this argument is that it falls apart if you look even slightly below the surface. Using the same characters is not at all the same as being "the same old game", and Nintendo tends to release several new franchises with every generation of console.

Super Mario Bros. is not at all the same as Mario Kart is not the same as Mario Party is not the same as Super Smash Bros. is not the same as Wario Ware, etcetera. Heck, aside from Pokemon, even within the same game series Nintendo usually adds more than many other companies' series to push beyond simple iteration.

And if you are simply speaking of the characters used, well it depends entirely on third party support to get the breadth of franchises that Sony has enjoyed two consoles running. Anyone who's played games since the NES days can tell you that developer support can swing in an entirely different direction for various reasons.

Edited by Radd

The problem with this argument is that it falls apart if you look even slightly below the surface.

It doesn't fall apart because it's based on my opinion. And IN my opinion, Nintendo has been a disappointment since the waning days of the N64. Now your mileage may vary, but for me it's been a decade since Nintendo has had anything to offer.

Maybe you'll be right about the Wii. Hell, I'm no psychic. Maybe Wii will offer the most intense, exciting and xtreeeeeeme gaming experience since evar! Maybe you look at this nunchuck controller thingy and see an innovative, interactive interface. Personally, I see another gimmick along the lines of the Virtual Boy.

I bought a Gamecube. It has hardly been used since 2003-2004. SSBM and Rogue Leader are the only games that are worth owning with the exception of the Zelda games.

And that is why I'm not going to buy a system at launch ever again. Right now I'm leaning towards the 360. The Wii controller is nice, but I have a feeling that your shoulder is going to hurt like a batty after playing with that for a while.

Ya I agree. Most videogame stories annoy me to death. That's one reason why I don't play Japanese RPGS anymore. Okami is a tad wordy but the game is still great. Yakuza's story was tolerable. At least he wasn't looking for sailors every five minutes lol...

Nintendo hasn't wowed me since the SNES. I have a lamecube...its very dusty. The Wii looks interesting but I'm not ready to blindly buy one.

If you merely meant that you don't like Nintendo's characters, sure. From your two posts together it sounded as if you were saying that Nintendo just puts out iterations on the same old games, which isn't an opinion.

If getting a console with strong developer support is key to you, I'd reccomend waiting one year. It should be clear which, if any, of the consoles will wind up with the largest share of the market, and so the most developer support.

As far as the controller, if you don't trust the gaming media or anyone who's tried one yet (and by now it's easy to find first hand accounts), well it's probably best to wait for a friend to get a Wii and see if it's any good.

Personally, from how it's described at the very least it sounds like the best of both worlds between a gamepad, and the PC gamer's keyboard and mouse combo. Whether it works in practice is not something I'll pretend to have firsthand knowledge of until I've tried it myself.

I bought a Gamecube. It has hardly been used since 2003-2004. SSBM and Rogue Leader are the only games that are worth owning with the exception of the Zelda games.

And that is why I'm not going to buy a system at launch ever again. Right now I'm leaning towards the 360. The Wii controller is nice, but I have a feeling that your shoulder is going to hurt like a batty after playing with that for a while.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I still hold steadfast to the notion that Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho are based off of Hikaru and Roy! :D Penny Arcade aka "The Further Adventures of Hikaru Ichijo and Roy Focker"! :D

Edited by Apollo Leader

It doesn't fall apart because it's based on my opinion. And IN my opinion, Nintendo has been a disappointment since the waning days of the N64. Now your mileage may vary, but for me it's been a decade since Nintendo has had anything to offer.

Maybe you'll be right about the Wii. Hell, I'm no psychic. Maybe Wii will offer the most intense, exciting and xtreeeeeeme gaming experience since evar! Maybe you look at this nunchuck controller thingy and see an innovative, interactive interface. Personally, I see another gimmick along the lines of the Virtual Boy.

A lot of experienced gamers see it that way, but many of them refuse the agruement because it's from the company who's system they grew up playing. They've been riding the "what-has-been" wave since the Super N era with only minor variance in theme. Zelda is still Zelda. Mario is still Mario. It's time for them to create something actually NEW in the way of iconic characters.

@ - Mephistopheles, I still feel that it's because they've all but removed the difficulty levels from the games in favor for simply more levels or level size. They've also gotten away from the 'fun things'.

Anybody notice that the articles at MSNBC (not bias or anything toward MS products....) are stating that Wii is a more enjoyable system than the PS3? They also have a dedicated "Don't forget the 360" article. To paraphrase "Our PS3 would often go unplayed despite being hooked up to a massive HDTV while our invitees all gathered around the Wii for the immersive play."

Edited by jenius

A lot of experienced gamers see it that way, but many of them refuse the agruement because it's from the company who's system they grew up playing. They've been riding the "what-has-been" wave since the Super N era with only minor variance in theme. Zelda is still Zelda. Mario is still Mario. It's time for them to create something actually NEW in the way of iconic characters.

Actually, Nintendo has introduced new iconic characters since the SNES days. Not as many as some other companies, and certainly not as many as a combined set of developers, but to say they haven't introduced anything new since the SNES days is false.

Additionally, the idea that many experienced gamers refuse the "same old" argument is not simply because they grew up playing the NES and SNES isn't quite true either. Many refuse the argument because as has been pointed out, despite using many of the same characters time and again, Nintendo is adept at genre innovation, rather than simple iteration when it comes to their franchises.

Edited by Radd

So when and where are y'all getting your Wii's this weekend?

Like right now guys, I'm leaving to camp for my Wii. I will not be profiting on the system, so I will be playing it, and I will be getting my Zelda from Gamestop at midnight. Target is where Im going to Camp for the system, I'm totally confident that me and my friends are going to get it. :)

Bye everybody and wish my good luck on the Wii. ^_^

-Dean

Edit: Word edit.

Edited by Ishimaru

Anybody notice that the articles at MSNBC (not bias or anything toward MS products....) are stating that Wii is a more enjoyable system than the PS3? They also have a dedicated "Don't forget the 360" article. To paraphrase "Our PS3 would often go unplayed despite being hooked up to a massive HDTV while our invitees all gathered around the Wii for the immersive play."

I was in Software Etc. and the manager said that the Wii is THE system.

We shall see. Personally, I'm going to wait for at least 6 months before I decide on a 360 or a Wii.

Edited by meh_cd

I'd decided not to camp a while ago. However, the wife might drop by Walmart tonight to see if there's any massive lines for the midnight release. In the morning we plan to head to the local Target we've heard is getting the largest shipment in town.