The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

I can't believe your having that much trouble finding one. I've bought 7 now for myself and friends and have had the opportunity to buy at least another 5.

Just out of curiousity, where do you live? I live in Florida and people are still camping out on expected delivery dates around here. I happened to get extremely lucky and walked into a wally world on an early lunch break where they just shelved three units. While I was in line buying mine, the lady got a call asking about them ("yeah, well I've got 2 now, I just sold one..").

Since then friends have been asking them to get one and I haven't seen one anywhere.

So, who picked up Wii Play? My wife loves Wii Sports bowling and tennis, I'm kinda wondering if the pool and the duck hunt clone are worth it.

I can't believe your having that much trouble finding one. I've bought 7 now for myself and friends and have had the opportunity to buy at least another 5.

I'm suprised. The Wii is still out of stock in my current area, and people are still paying good money for it. Mine is gathering dust as it is, since I just lost interest in playing it till Brawl comes out.

congrats!!

but i wanna know more about the mod chip stuff.....

There are known to be at least 2 of them out I think.

February 1st at 39,95€ :

Specs: Wiinja - Wii Modchip by Team Ninja

* First Wii Modchip

* Run your own region (PAL/NTSC) backups directly

* 5 Cables to solder

* Easy Installation

Take a look here:

Official page: hxxp://wiinja.com

Video of the chip working: hxxp://.futura-online.com/drivers/MOV02406_ToWmv.wmv

Enjoy . Use WWW in links

Stole a quote from some guy that posted it on a Wii News forum. Even has video proof.

Here is a link to a one of the first mod chips released for the system. It's should be out if the news on site serves correctly.

http://www.wiikey.cn/

Edited by Ishimaru

Just out of curiousity, where do you live? I live in Florida and people are still camping out on expected delivery dates around here. I happened to get extremely lucky and walked into a wally world on an early lunch break where they just shelved three units. While I was in line buying mine, the lady got a call asking about them ("yeah, well I've got 2 now, I just sold one..").

Since then friends have been asking them to get one and I haven't seen one anywhere.

So, who picked up Wii Play? My wife loves Wii Sports bowling and tennis, I'm kinda wondering if the pool and the duck hunt clone are worth it.

I'm from Minnesota. I see a couple each week it seems. There isn't even a line anymore at target or best buy when they are in the ad on Sundays (that's the hint that a store has them...Nintendo pays for the ad and forces the store to release the wii's on that Sunday).

I still have a copy of wii play I've been meaning to take back. The duck hunt clone is fun but you don't get to shoot many ducks...mostly aliens, baloons, cans, targets, and your opponent.

Wii Play:

-My wife rules at the Find the Mii. She's past level 62 and has the gold. I can get to like level 10.

- The bubble game is fun to frustrate an opponent. My mother-in-law likes that game

- I love the tank game

- Cow racing is funny if you play with 2 players.

- ping pong sucks...Wii sports tennis is so much better

- The billiards game is ok at best. All you get to play is 9 ball.

- Laser hockey is fun...I can't play with the paperclips though...I have to change them to the old school disk.

- Fishing is pretty boring since you don't get to reel and the fish don't fight that much.

So what's everybody's best Wii Sports Fitness age? I bounce b/w 21 and 26. Not much of a fitness test as its a skill test.

As of yesterday, my local Target (in Phoenix, AZ) had 8 Wiis on the shelf, so I'm guessing Nintendo's done a new shipment recently.

As for Wii Play, it's mainly for the new controller, but as a roughly $10 game it's not too bad. Although I was playing Find the Mii and one of the conditions was "Find the two odd Miis out!" However, the game uses your Miis in addition to a few basic ones, so I had absolutely no idea what criteria the game was using to determine "odd" There was only one female Mii on the field, so I guessed that was one, but with the other choices beind Dr. Venture, Steven Colbert, Satan, Captain Picard, and Hitler, I didn't know who to pick and ran out of time.

There was only one female Mii on the field, so I guessed that was one, but with the other choices beind Dr. Venture, Steven Colbert, Satan, Captain Picard, and Hitler, I didn't know who to pick and ran out of time.

This, quite simply, sounds like the greatest game of all time. :lol:

Wii takes January sales!

According to preliminary NPD numbers released by Microsoft, January's console sales in North America were dominated by the Nintendo Wii. While Microsoft was pleased as punch selling approximately 294,000 systems, beating out the PS3 with 244,000, the figures show Nintendo pushed 436,000 units. That's 3348% more (edit: math is hard) than their closest competitor for those too lazy to pull up their calculator program.

A triumph of cheap and cute over sexy and expensive, people are waiting for the supermodels of gaming to do something interesting while completely charmed by the girl next door's adorable button nose and the way she snorts when she laughs.

I'm expecting the numbers to be a bit more even next month, unless something amazing comes out for the Wii. I haven't touched the console to play a Wii game in a few weeks now, and with me picking up Virtual Fighter 5 today I expect this will be the first week my PS3 gets more play than my other systems since I purchased it.

:D:D:D:D

As of yesterday, my local Target (in Phoenix, AZ) had 8 Wiis on the shelf, so I'm guessing Nintendo's done a new shipment recently.

As for Wii Play, it's mainly for the new controller, but as a roughly $10 game it's not too bad. Although I was playing Find the Mii and one of the conditions was "Find the two odd Miis out!" However, the game uses your Miis in addition to a few basic ones, so I had absolutely no idea what criteria the game was using to determine "odd" There was only one female Mii on the field, so I guessed that was one, but with the other choices beind Dr. Venture, Steven Colbert, Satan, Captain Picard, and Hitler, I didn't know who to pick and ran out of time.

In "Find the 2 odd Mii's Out" there's 2 different ones i've seen.... the 1st one is when everyone is turning their heads left to right... and the ODD one is going to opposite of the group.....

the 2nd one is when there's a line of 4 mii's or so and they're walking down the screen.... the ODD mii is walking with the opposite steps... left, right, left, right... where the ODD mii is Right, left, right, left...

the 2nd one is much more difficult than the 1st...

overall... i like Wii Play.... i have gold medals on all of the games except Find Mii and Pose Mii... good to know that level 62 is what you need to pass Find Mii... i think i've gotten to 60 before....

Pose Mii is just way too difficult for me.... i even got to 480 and still no gold... anyone know the mark to get gold?? i bet it's like 500....

Whoops...edit the below, I didn't see it was already responded to.

Find the odd mii out:

- look for mii's that aren't doing what the other mii's are doing. One or more might be looking a different direction while watching tennis, or one or more might be out of step with all of the others.

Edited by jwinges

I finally picked myself up a Wii late this afternoon. I went to Best Buy hoping to buy the Gunbuster DVD box, which they didn't have. Just out of curiosity, I went over to where the Wiis were just to see if they had any. To my suprise, there was about a dozen Wiis sitting on the shelf. You know what I walked out of the store with!

MSX and Neo-Geo games to come to the Virtual console later this year!!

Nintendo Japan Homepage!

Now it just got even more tempting to get a Wii. :D Hopefully this means we'll see those games (especially Neo Geo) come stateside. Do you know if Metal Slug and Fatal Fury Special ever got released on XBLA in Japan? Seems like Microsoft is really starting to fall behind with XBLA. :(

IPB Image

Every form of entertainment has its artistic pinnacles. On Monday, Nintendo will make The Legend of Zelda®: Ocarina of Time available for download in the Wii Shop Channel of the hot new Wii™ video game system. Originally released in November 1998 for the Nintendo 64® console, the game is widely considered by critics and industry observers to be one of the greatest video games of all time.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time inspired millions of players around the world with its in-depth game play, rich 3-D visuals and memorable adventures. It set the standard by which all other games have been judged. And now it's available once again, both for veteran gamers to relive their gaming glory days and for younger players to discover it for the first time.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time will be available for 1,000 Wii Pointsâ„¢ when it goes live at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Feb. 26. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. The Wii Shop Channel now boasts more than 55 downloadable classic games, in addition to the dozens of new disc-based games available for Wii.

:)

Hi there,

I don´t know if this is the right place to ask but I´ll ask nevertheless.

I´ve been out of the gaming scene since the old ages of PSone, the thing is, I was just about to get a PS2 since I´ve been loosing on some truly great games ( like the Macross game).

Problem is, I´ve been looking at the Wii and it´s really tempting for all the great features we know, what I´m worried about though is its game library, I know, you´ve got VC too, but all I see listed for upcoming wii-only games are kind of childish ( something that´s been keeping me away from Nintendo since the N64).

Should I just get a PS2 right away and see how things develop for the wii or just get it now and wait for some decent games ?

I really like the idea of having wi-fi on my console and the whole VC thing, but I could just get a DSlite for that.

For those who already own a Wii (and probalby a ps2 as well), I woudl really appreciate your thoughts ?

thanks in advance, cheers.

edit : grammar

Edited by Aegis!

anybody know when the wii will have online play in games? I was really hoping that either the upcoming blazing angels or heatseeker titles would but it looks like they won't.

BTW anybody play blazing angels on the xbox 360 or PS2? Is it any good?

thanks,

Tried the PS3 version. It's not bad at all...nothing terrific but nice if you enjoy flight games.

Hi there,

I don´t know if this is the right place to ask but I´ll ask nevertheless.

I´ve been out of the gaming scene since the old ages of PSone, the thing is, I was just about to get a PS2 since I´ve been loosing on some truly great games ( like the Macross game).

Problem is, I´ve been looking at the Wii and it´s really tempting for all the great features we know, what I´m worried about though is its game library, I know, you´ve got VC too, but all I see listed for upcoming wii-only games are kind of childish ( something that´s been keeping me away from Nintendo since the N64).

Should I just get a PS2 right away and see how things develop for the wii or just get it now and wait for some decent games ?

I really like the idea of having wi-fi on my console and the whole VC thing, but I could just get a DSlite for that.

For those who already own a Wii (and probalby a ps2 as well), I woudl really appreciate your thoughts ?

thanks in advance, cheers.

edit : grammar

If your looking to play the best of the mecha and anime games for ps2 you might want to look for one with a modchip, get one and have a mod chip installed, or get one and have a flip top installed (cheapest option). That way you can play macross and all of the gundam games. Don't forget to get God of War (best ps2 game ever) and if you like that get God of War 2 when in comes out in a month or so.

I have a wii and really enjoy it. It definitely has greater appeal to non-gamers. For instance I can sit down and play it with my wife and family and everyone has fun rather than I play the ps2 while she reads a book.

PS2 prices will be dropping again soon (they are at $99 buck now, I think). I think my ps2 library is up over 300 games, many I have yet to play but they are there when I want them.

If you have the bank I'd get the wii but the dollars add up fast when you have to buy another Wii-mote and nunchuk for $39 & $19 respectively, and you start spending wii points on old games. Don't forget to get wii-play.

Better, more adult games are on the way for the wii...in the next month or so we get blazing angels and heatseeker. You also can get Call of Duty 3 and a few other adult oriented titles. Tiger woods golf comes out soon and madden is already out. Gundam Scad hammers is for the kiddies (looks fun) but comes out this summer I believe.

I came across this info and thought I might share...below is a 100% free swap method for the wii and some other tips and tricks. I personally have not confirmed any of these.

Swap method

There is a method for playing GameCube imports on the Wii without a mod-chip. It involves a tricky swap, but it is 100% confirmed. To quote as follows

It's actually possible to run original NTSC GameCube discs on a PAL Wii console without modification, and without the use of Datel's Freeloader software.

The method goes like this: Pop a PAL GameCube disc into the Wii, and head to the 'Disc Channel'. A GameCube logo should be up on the screen. Point the Wii Remote's cursor over the 'Start' option so it's highlighted, and while keeping your hand steady, press the eject button on the Wii. For about one second, the 'Start' option will remain active. In this window of time, hit the A button on the Wii Remote and then swap out your ejected PAL GCN disc with an NTSC (Japanese or USA) disc, which the Wii will accept into the drive.

If you get it right, the Wii should boot up in GameCube mode and run your NTSC game! We've tried it with several different games from both the USA and Japan, and after learning the timing, we got every game running on our PAL Wii first time.

What's great about this trick is that unlike many 'disc swap' import tricks in the past (such as those that worked on the Sega Saturn and the original PlayStation) this one doesn't require any physical modification of your console, and probably won't even harm it since the Wii is simply using its own disc loading mechanism the whole time. Apparently the reason it works is that the Wii takes a couple of seconds to power itself down to GameCube mode, but for the sake of brevity it tells the disc to boot before the transformation is complete. It is the window between the two that allows this trick to work.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to work with inported Wii discs at this time.

Wii tips and tricks

A great list of Wii tidbits that you might not know. Thanks to reader Grant who stumbled upon these over at the IGN Messageboards…

• In the Photo Channel, you can catch the evil cat that runs across the screen to get tips! It appears in the Fun option, and you can grab the cat with the A and B button.

• You can have a 194 piece puzzle by holding down the 1 button before selecting any piece amount.

• If you don’t have an SD card and still want to check out Photo Channel, you can e-mail a Jpg to your Wii Message Board. There is a size limit for any mail you send to it - possibly 1mb.

• In Bowling, you can throw your ball into other people’s lanes.

• If you put mp3s in your SD card along with your photos, you can change the background music during a slideshow to one of your mp3s.

• When the messageboard records your play time, if you don’t exit to the Wii Menu before you power off the machine, it records the play time as “otherâ€. If you properly exit to the menu and then shut off it will record it as the correct game.

• You can rearrange almost anything on the wii…like the channels and messages by just holding the A and B

• The plasma burin reduction kicks in the second the wiimote shuts down.

• when you get an e-mail, not only does the disc drive light up and pulsate blue, but your Wiimote sends out a little chirp

• when you’re in the Mii channel and you don’t use the Wiimote for a little bit and your Mii’s start walking around, if you then suddenly use the Wiimote, all the Mii stop and follow the ‘hand’ for about 3 seconds….

• when typing messages, and you need to go back and edit the message(while still typing) instead of deleting letters, just point to where you want to edit to move the type cursor.

• In Wii Sports Bowling, when you press up on the Directional Pad, it will zoom in on the lane. The zoom in sound is the exact same sound from Super Mario 64 anytime you moved the camera.

• Co Op Jugsaw puzzles in wii photos

• You can place the sensor bar upside down and it doesn’t reverse the directions of your movements…

• In wii sports bowling, you can release on the back swing and throw the ball backwards. It scares all the miis behind you.

• Classic controller has analog shoulder buttons. With the GC “click†at the bottom

Anybody know of any good gamecube game s that were only released in Japan?

I'm playing Gundam: The Ace Pilot, and its a riot if you're a fan of the series. Its better than the PS2 Federation vs Zeon, and even the PS-3 offering. I've got a stack of four used Japanese games and I haven't even been able to open them since I got into it.

Edited by Noyhauser

I'm playing Gundam: The Ace Pilot, and its a riot if you're a fan of the series. Its better than the PS2 Federation vs Zeon, and even the PS-3 offering. I've got a stack of four used Japanese games and I haven't even been able to open them since I got into it.

What's gundam Ace Pilot...I've never heard of it. Please include a pic of the cover if you have one.