More Neon Gensis Evangelion

chrono

According to the October issue of Newtype (Japan) (On sale September 10), four new Evangelion movies are in the works. The four movies will include a prequel, a mid-series movie, a sequel and a "final" movie. The prequel movie is due out early summer 2007.

While the new story will be set during the same time frame as the original TV series, Newtype states that it will be an entirely new project, not be a remake or improvement of any sort. Newtype also mentions that viewers will not need to have already seen previous Evangelion material in order to understand and enjoy the new movies.

Hideaki Anno will write the scenario for the first movie and will be the general director and manager for the entire project. Kazuya Tsurumaki will direct the movies while Yoshiyuki Sadamoto will provide character designs and Ikuto Yamashita will provide mechanical designs. Shinji Higuchi will provide storyboards for the first movie.

Khara, a new studio that shares office space with Gainax, was recently set up and is seeking production staff to work on Anno's new project.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9464

Maybe with any luck Anno will rip-off some of the NGE doujin that has better storylines.

*MMmmmm RE-Take*

They've been around for years, them being underage wouldnt cause a sudden reinterest in the series. :p Besides they sure don't look as young as they are. :lol:

addition: Besides they're just drawings, so who cares? :)

Edited by Sumdumgai

Hopefully, they won't get any funny ideas about injecting the new productions with the anime styling "flavor of the month", like when the director of Top O Nerae 2 decided Gunbuster needed to have this amazing FLCL style. I'm looking forward to it. The more Gainax the better.

It makes me wonder how it will come across seeing as how Anno isn't as depressed and morose as he was back in 1996.

Its gonna be a prequel movie, so it may not circle around Shinji and co. Might be talking about the test pilot for EVA04 and its disappearance in the US NERV branch or something.

I'd rather they just made the Angelic Days alternate universe.

Nah... it'll be about the 1st impact in Antarctic, retreiving the apostle/angel. Then it'll be about the establishment of Nerv (possibly some political stuff too, backroom deals, etc.,) the creation of the Eva prototype, the cloning of Rei, and the death of Ikari (Gendo's wife.)

Basically, some of the stuff that's been seen in the manga, but not in the anime...

Nah... it'll be about the 1st impact in Antarctic, retreiving the apostle/angel. Then it'll be about the establishment of Nerv (possibly some political stuff too, backroom deals, etc.,) the creation of the Eva prototype, the cloning of Rei, and the death of Ikari (Gendo's wife.)

Basically, some of the stuff that's been seen in the manga, but not in the anime...

Good point. And you mean the 2nd impact. 1st impact is assumed to be the flooding of the world during the times of Noah and the Ark.

Good point. And you mean the 2nd impact. 1st impact is assumed to be the flooding of the world during the times of Noah and the Ark.

It would be cool if the prequil was indeed about the first impact. I'd be intrested to see how that would play out in the Evangelion mythos.

I'm like sketchley in that I've watched it and thought it wasn't too bad, with a somewhat refreshing "Left turn" ending. I'm something of a fans of the designs though because they work so well. I'm passing on this stuff though because it sounds like Anno has nothing left and Gainax just wants some quick money.

Personally I REALLY hope that Anno uses the RE-Take doujin material because it's such a great story that deals with post ending issues quite well, resolving close to nothing, and from Asuka's viewpoint.

The WETA Eva project got a lot farther than Macross Final Outpost ever did. You can see for yourself the designs that WETA drew up on their site. Macross Final Outpost seemed to only ever be an idea and never got far enough to even have design art.

I personally hope that the WETA project gets a revamped art direction along the lines of the show instead of throwing money just to keep people employeed. But with the announcement I think we now know why it was delay'ed. Gainax pulled the plug. ;)

I dunno about this. I enjoyed the series thoroughly, including the ending episodes that so many people seemed to hate. Then the movies came out, and I thought they were pretty terrible, as if someone rewrote the ending of 'The Watchmen' into a guns blazing action sequence.

Sure, they were mighty pretty, but did they add anything to the story? If anything, they seemed to detract from it.

I recently read a comment someone made about ending a series, that you do it "not with a victory or a defeat, but with an emergence." I have to agree with that sentiment, and found such an ending in the tv series.

WETA's had it on their slate for years now, although I remember their website saying it was on hold or something. It'll probably fall through if it hasn't already.

Edit: Yep, it's still on hold. http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/fil...lm/neon_genesis

Thats the ugliest crap I've ever seen. Horrible absolutely Horrid. :angry:

I actually think it's not bad at all. They keep the spirit of the original while not "Hollywoodizing" it and throwing in a bunch of unnecessary and unrecognizable features that render the design so different that it fails to evoke the original designs. *cough cough Bay's Transformers designs cough*

ok they're familiar, but the Eva's look more like monsters. ...those teeth.

Whats up with Rei , Asuka ,and good grief what happened to Misato?

Those versions look like the ugly stick hit 'em over and over again. The

uniforms work well enough at least for the pilots.

edit:

The inside of Nerve Hq reminds me of the Deathstar or an Imperial Cruiser

maybe its the colors or desgin of the walls ... something about it.

Edited by Macross73

• 3 weeks later...