The 2nd coming of the YF-19, Part 2

David Hingtgen

Gotta have keep this thread alive! :D

Shouldn't we replace the front page pic of the Rohby Thunderbolt VF-11 with a pic of the YF-19?

There seems to be a variation on the underside of the shield. On one pic there's these round like metal discs (magnets?) wrapped in black fastnets. On another, these discs are gone, replaced by a rectangular peg where the gun clips should be if there is any. Am I wrong that there has been an altercation? Which of version are we getting?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Am I the only one whos bothered by this? Red Circle - If they just dipped down the nose a bit and made the support piece underneath the nose a bit smaller, imo it would be completely perfect. Since I havent seen the it, I cant say how hard it would be to make that change but I'm assuming its doable. Green Circle - This isnt a biggie but I would mind if the cod piece was a bit thicker like in the lineart. Does eveyone else think it looks fine the way it is? :huh:

post-2208-1160140619_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one whos bothered by this? Red Circle - If they just dipped down the nose a bit and made the support piece underneath the nose a bit smaller, imo it would be completely perfect. Since I havent seen the it, I cant say how hard it would be to make that change but I'm assuming its doable. Green Circle - This isnt a biggie but I would mind if the cod piece was a bit thicker like in the lineart. Does eveyone else think it looks fine the way it is? :huh:

The angle of the nose in Battroid mode is contingent on the angle of the entire torso. I know this is hard to see in the lineart because the shoulder is obscuiring the back. But look close and you can see that the back "hunch" of the mecha is elevated much higher than the front nose and the whole torso has a very noticable slope back-to-front. For Yamato to deepen the angle of the nose in Battroid mode would require the entire torso to be angled. That seems to me like a major design change.

I actually like the cod piece the way it is. The legs of the Yamato YF-19 appear longer and thinner than the lineart, particularly from the front and rear views. A larger cod piece would look disproportionate with the lower half of the mecha. I'd prefer it stay the way it is.

I gotta say though, the side comparison with the lineart is fantastic. This YF-19 sculpt really stands up well.

Edited by Mr March

Am I the only one whos bothered by this? Red Circle - If they just dipped down the nose a bit and made the support piece underneath the nose a bit smaller, imo it would be completely perfect. Since I havent seen the it, I cant say how hard it would be to make that change but I'm assuming its doable.

I think the nose is tilting downward in the lineart because the YF-19 is standing at an odd angle.

Green Circle - This isnt a biggie but I would mind if the cod piece was a bit thicker like in the lineart. Does eveyone else think it looks fine the way it is? :huh:

The cod piece is definitely a lot thinner, but if Yamato made it thicker like they did with the 1/72 version, then fighter mode would look a lot chunkier from the profile view.

The codpiece is already the lowest and most oddly/mis-shaped part of the underbelly in fighter mode---the basic problem is that the codpiece and the underbelly are curved oppositely on each side. It's one heck of a compromise to make it exist in the real world. Kawamori draws it much more flattened in fighter mode so the curvature isn't so obvious--but it's still there, and the backside seems to change from convex to concave when going from battroid to fighter.

It's much much better than the original Yamato, but you're not going to get it to "fit" nice and flush with the rest of the belly in fighter mode without totally ruining battroid mode or magically having three times as much space as there is in the plane's gullet--it's already twice as deep as it should be and there's STILL not room for a double-convex codpiece like there'd need to be to be correct in both modes. And since that piece is very visible in battroid mode, but fairly hidden in fighter, it's obviously "optimally sculpted" for battroid mode appearance. As much as it can without scraping the ground in fighter mode. I think a smaller/better hinge could help with the edges, but it's got to be fairly "flattened" to not totally mess up fighter mode.

In other words: the codpiece involves about as much anime magic as the YF-21's arms in fighter mode.

As for the chest angle--the new Yamato mold already incorporates the Hasegawa's main spine/cockpit transformation method (at least it sure looks like it to me), which makes it better in that aspect than it'd otherwise be, epsecially compared to the original Yamato/SHE. If you had a sliding hinge where the chest attaches to the spine to raise the chest to allow it to angle downwards more, you'd probably start to mess with the overall appearance with regards to torso height and spine height. It'd basically be hunch-backed I think.

Also---due to the YF-19's tranformation, the angle of the chest is usually VERY dependent upon "how you transformed it that time". There's easily a 20 maybe even 30 degree difference in the original Yamato between how it should be, how most people manage, and how the mis-transformed prototypes always looked.

I guess the issue here just becomes exactly how much movement does the battroid torso angle have on the new toy? That whole area is kinda ambiguous, and can go a couple of ways... it can add alot to the expressiveness of the mecha too... angled down in action, or angled upward more in a 'puffed up' dramatic pose... one of the things I really do like about the 1/72 Yammie 19.

The lineart does look like it's slouching a bit. Pushing the torso forward on the toy and bringing the shoulders up (like we now know they can) seems like it'd bring the toy almost dead on with that lineart (cod piece excluded)

Hmm, alright, u guys kinda misunderstood. Sorry about that, my fault. I shouldve clarified in the post. The reason why i wanted it to be more angled is to make it seem like the nose doesnt look like it isnt sticking out as far out so they can shrink down the support piece underneath the nose to make it seem closer to the lineart. My main concern was the support piece, not the angle of the nose cone. I'm not gonna nit pick at a few degrees of a nose cone. Cuz the way i see it is that the reason they made the support piece so big is to make it more flush with the nose cone since it portrudes a lot more than it does in the lineart. I just want them to shrink down the nose support piece a bit.

As for the cod piece, i can see how it can be a problem for fighter mode if its made thicker. Still wish they could do something tho. Wishful thinking i guess. :mellow:

post-2208-1160202549_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

Hmm, alright, u guys kinda misunderstood. Sorry about that, my fault. I shouldve clarified in the post. The reason why i wanted it to be more angled is to make it seem like the nose doesnt look like it isnt sticking out as far out so they can shrink down the support piece underneath the nose to make it seem closer to the lineart. My main concern was the support piece, not the angle of the nose cone. I'm not gonna nit pick at a few degrees of a nose cone. Cuz the way i see it is that the reason they made the support piece so big is to make it more flush with the nose cone since it portrudes a lot more than it does in the lineart. I just want them to shrink down the nose support piece a bit.

As for the cod piece, i can see how it can be a problem for fighter mode if its made thicker. Still wish they could do something tho. Wishful thinking i guess. :mellow:

Again, making 3 mode variable valks is a delicate balancing act... With the yf-19, it's like spinning 100 plates all together in some chinese circus...

If the chest support shrinks it'll look off with the 'longer-than-lineart' chest... to fix this they'd have to shorten the nose of the fighter, which then would make the fighter look stubby and demented... and as dave mentioned, if the crotch peice is bigger, then so will the already ballooned gull neck... :wacko: and on and on...

Honestly at this point in production, I think the only thing about now that yamato will change is color, and the slight tweaks to the mold for any unsightly gaps... So I wouldn't expect or even hope for any of these changes you mentioned... sorry Alpha~

I understand that you're a battroid fan, but there are fans of the yf-19's fighter mode here in droves... Yamato in my opinion did an EXCELLENT, F-ing AWESOME job balancing the three modes and making them all look fanatastic. This version looks much better than the hasegawa kit bash, even better overall in my opinion, than the supernova kit...

Barring any major QC issues, this is hands down the best variable yamato has produced so far.

I understand. It would be nice if the nose protruded only as far as it does in the lineart, but I'm not convinced it's possible. I've always felt the compactness of the YF-19 front torso area in Battroid mode was anime magic, much like the compactness of the VF-1 wings in Battroid mode; it's just not anatomically possible given the length of the YF-19 nose.

I do appreciate accuracy to the lineart and hope that each figure released gets it right moreso than getting it wrong. However, there comes a moment once I've taken in the design that I hope the mecha looks aesthetically pleasing itself, based on the contours and proportions of the figure, not the lineart. I think the torso of the new Yamato YF-19 is actually better the way it is. The size and angles of the torso work for the figure, despite departure from the lineart. I am truely content with that aspect of the Yamato YF-19.

Again, making 3 mode variable valks is a delicate balancing act... With the yf-19, it's like spinning 100 plates all together in some chinese circus...

If the chest support shrinks it'll look off with the 'longer-than-lineart' chest... to fix this they'd have to shorten the nose of the fighter, which then would make the fighter look stubby and demented... and as dave mentioned, if the crotch peice is bigger, then so will the already ballooned gull neck... :wacko: and on and on...

Honestly at this point in production, I think the only thing about now that yamato will change is color, and the slight tweaks to the mold for any unsightly gaps... So I wouldn't expect or even hope for any of these changes you mentioned... sorry Alpha~

I understand that you're a battroid fan, but there are fans of the yf-19's fighter mode here in droves... Yamato in my opinion did an EXCELLENT, F-ing AWESOME job balancing the three modes and making them all look fanatastic. This version looks much better than the hasegawa kit bash, even better overall in my opinion, than the supernova kit...

Barring any major QC issues, this is hands down the best variable yamato has produced so far.

Whoa, okay... I didnt mean to offend anyone here and come off as some nit picky nut case. Everyone seems to think that i hate it or something. I dont, I think the balance is great. Also just to clarify some more, I'm not a huge fan of just the battroid mode. I just think the other two modes look absolutely stunning and probably couldnt get much better. I just felt the battroid mode could use some work. I'm not expecting any changes, my original post was to ask if anyone else was bothered by it. I already preordered mine and I think yamato did a great job.

By shortening the support piece I understand the nose will look like its sticking out a lot. My solution that I wanted was to angle the nose to give the illusion that its not portruding as much. I didnt actually want to shorten the actual nose itself. I made another picture to show what I'm trying to say. Obviously I couldnt adjust everything but I hope it gets the idea across. I didnt shrink the body or nose in any way, shape, or form. I just angled it down, then made the support piece (the part underneath the nose) shorter. My main point was to make the support piece shorter, well... that and the cod piece couldve been bigger but since everyone can clearly see that its thinner than the lineart, yamato probably probably took that into account already and there probably wasnt much they could do.

Right. I've also come to accept that some things are just not possible, and consider that before making criticisms.

Please dont get me wrong. I've considered that. Angling the nose isnt out of possibility. If you look at the transformation of the 19, the nose angle isnt determined by alot and it doesnt affect a lot of the other parts. I understand by lowering the nose, the upper body will angle too. The neck will need some adjusting but besides that and some other minor changes, its all in the realm of being possible. Will it look better? Will it look closer to the lineart? Thats a matter of opinion and preference. Like David said, he might look a bit hunched back. Personally, i didnt think it would be that drastic but if hes right about that, I'll have to admit, itll definitely be a poor choice on my part to make the change.

Anyways, I thought this was going to be a simple question. I just didnt expect a reaction like this. I know i know, i shouldve clarified more. Like i said, my fault. I was just curious if anyone else was bothered by it. I wasnt implying I didnt like it or that i wasnt grateful that yamato took the the time to design a new 19. If it came exactly how it looked in the picture, i'll be fine with it. I was just being bothered by the support piece and was curious if anyone felt the same way.

Btw, does anyone know how the gunpod fits onto the fighter mode?

post-2208-1160233059_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlphaHX

There's helpful criticism, and then there's sitting around looking for things to complain about. It seems like now-a-days, finding new and obscure things to complain about, is some sort of macrossworld passtime... and then, after pointing out the flaw/line art divergence, comes the barrage of photoshop barrage... when honestly, without actually HAVING the toy and seeing how it's made and how different parts actually interact with each other, it just isn't possible to say with certainty how their proposed changes would affect the overall look and design of the toy.

This isn't to say that what yamato does is 100% all the time... they do take shortcuts which I don't understand... particularly the way they design their joints... plastic on plastic joints on 150$ toy is just being cheap and short sighted.. their thick stickers do suck and their production tolerances are pretty horrible. But the endless cheap shots, the endless nitpicks... the endless parroting of other people's experiences... it's just old and tired.

By and large, I'd have to agree. The sculpt is amazing and I can't beleive I'm actually talking about such minutiae as codpiece size! Needless to say, the new Yamato YF-19 is a success far more than a failure and I haven't even purchased one as yet :)

Whoa, okay... I didnt mean to offend anyone here and come off as some nit picky nut case. ...

Anyways, I thought this was going to be a simple question. I just didnt expect a reaction like this.

um.. actually, the reaction to your post seemed incredibly calm, dispassionate, and reasoned... in fact, you did seem like a nutpicky nitcase to me, I would have come down on you like a ton of bricks if I had mustered the energy to reply. :D

(but macrossworld in general seems like a haven for nitpickers, so I don't bother to attack that kind of thing here)

(but macrossworld in general seems like a haven for nitpickers, so I don't bother to attack that kind of thing here)

It's a lot like therapy for us. We don't nitpick at our jobs. We don't nitpick our women. BUT OUR TOYS BETTER BE DAMN WELL NEAR PERFECT OR THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!

:)

EDIT - does anyone else find all the "cod piece" discussion hilarious? Seriously, when was the last time so many men gathered to discuss a cod piece?

Edited by jenius

there's definitely a thin line between nitpicking and good point vs point debate....

While the exact location of where that line belongs is definitely varied person by person, overall though, I think it's good we're speaking our minds.

I try to stay within reason with whatever I 'nitpick' and I usually say most of my critical comments EARLY in production or after I get the toy in my hands and find any "oops, yamato did it again" issues.

The upcoming YF-19 looks perfect to me. I still like my original 1:72 version as well. I believe you guys' passion to perfection by voicing it at MW might have contributed to better production. Kudos also to G-Man, our ambassador.

Thanks, I really think this is true... YAMATO is listening... without a doubt through Graham, and I think even to an extent, firsthand.

When fans repeatedly voice their discontent regarding a reoccurring problem, yamato will catch it and try to match it. The same effect is with the opposite however,... If we all sit here and say "hoorah, I want to kiss yamato's ass with what ever they give me", they'll be more than happy and be complacent enough to do just that and no more. Simply waiting until the thing is released till we voice ANY concern is ALSO absurd, as that will lead to the "wait for the second release" syndrome.

While there are some comments and nitpicks here that are beyond what anyone would agree with, STILL, as absurd as they are, they'll die out and be buried in threads just as quick. GOOD POINTS live on until they're fixed... so I'm personally against any filter or any "oh please, shut up" attitude.

Also Alpha HX... don't read too much into replies... NOTHING personal nor was anyone here pouncing at you. Your point was merely anchored by what's possible with anime magic and your presented solution is basically hunching the yf-19 a bit which does nothing really to shorten the nose. EVERYONE here will agree that a less pertruding chest will look better for battroid, but it wont happen without severely compromising the other perfect modes. Debate point and counter-point reply, simple as that, nothing personal, all in peace~ :D

Edited by Nani?!

When fans repeatedly voice their discontent regarding a reoccurring problem, yamato will catch it and try to match it. The same effect is with the opposite however,... If we all sit here and say "hoorah, I want to kiss yamato's ass with what ever they give me", they'll be more than happy and be complacent enough to do just that and no more. Simply waiting until the thing is released till we voice ANY concern is ALSO absurd, as that will lead to the "wait for the second release" syndrome

Eugimon is so going to kick your a$s for your insolence. How dare you come into this thread and act like Yamato isn't perfect and your should service each member of that company for blessing us with what they've given so far. How dare you sir! Oh really Oliver, you want more porridge???

Haha, I'm just teasin' Eugimon. It's been too long since he last yelled at me. I'm honestly sure Yamato has much better sources than fanboys like us on what they're doing right and wrong but I think if we're all pointing the same things out then there's a good chance the people who really do have input are noticing similar things.

Yes. Also - why would non-English speakers come to an English website, let alone be able to find the thread(s) about their product? Even if they were, the vast majority of whatever their translations (probably software, probably not real people) would spit out would be negative sounding gobblygook.

Of course, I could be mistaken, and they could have a decent enough command of English to understand that this thread is full of negative criticism and not much about how to fix the bits and peices that are being criticized...

Just my two cents.

EDIT: just for fun, using internet translation software, I translated jenius's post into Japanese, and then back into English. Fun!

Therefore, Eugimon will kick your a$s for your insolence. And, Japan how does dare to have to enter this string and the act by you like being not complete, and to bless us by what you and they gave up to the present, to provide service for each member in the company. Does the master of do to so?Oh do Oliver and you really want more rice gruels?

The haha and I are nothing but making fun of Eugimon. After he had blustered me out at the end, it was too long. I think that there is an enough expectation that people who really have the input notice the similar one if we are pointing out all same thing though I am honestly convinced of there is a source where fanboys is far better for their deteriorating exactly than we like it in Japan.

Edited by sketchley