No One's Posted About The Thundercats Revamp Yet?

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24232

Now if they can only use their magical powers to stop the fighting...

I'm AMAZED I saw this like 36 hours ago and there hasn't been anything about it on this forum yet.

Here's the main part, believe as little or much of it as you like:

"WB animation is remaking the Thundercats as an animated TV series.

The animation style is whimsical, Americanized-anime, along the lines of Teen Titans.

The setting is modern-day Earth, in a major city (possibly LA)

The Thundercats are all teenagers.

Their leader is Snarf (!) who is now a mystic with a "third" eye.

Each of the Thundercats has a weapon with an "Eye of Thunderra" and transformative powers (not just Lion-O)

When they aren't fighting evil, the Thundercats play together as a rock band. That's not a typo, or a joke. They are rockin' cats in their present form.

Mum-Ra now has wings."

Edited by David Hingtgen

I've never cared much for Thundercats one way or the other (at least since I was quite young), but this seems to be a capitally bad idea.

Who thinks this stuff up and who OKs it? Seriously. Don't you have to have some critical thinking skills or anything? No one intelligent could think this is a good idea. No one.

Their leader is Snarf (!)...

Dubya.

Tee.

Eff?

Sometimes I wonder if these guys think about things at all.

There's no name recognition for the current generation of kids, and we all know Snarf is the retarded sidekick that was only there for comic relief.

"WB animation is remaking the Thundercats as an animated TV series.

The animation style is whimsical, Americanized-anime, along the lines of Teen Titans.

The setting is modern-day Earth, in a major city (possibly LA)

The Thundercats are all teenagers.

Their leader is Snarf (!) who is now a mystic with a "third" eye.

Each of the Thundercats has a weapon with an "Eye of Thunderra" and transformative powers (not just Lion-O)

When they aren't fighting evil, the Thundercats play together as a rock band. That's not a typo, or a joke. They are rockin' cats in their present form.

Mum-Ra now has wings."

427893[/snapback]

I want some of what they are smoking..

I wasn't a HUGE Thundercats fan but I enjoyed it if nothing else was on. It sounds to me like they've tried to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles it up a bit. Snarf is going to be Splinter and Mumra will be Shredder. The rock band angle is new... but the turtles always had the intense desire to be out in public and it sounds like they're just going to let the Thundercats live out that desire.

batty, they already had a splinter, his name was...whatever the hell his name was!

This is a pretty bad idea, especially since it doesn't make any sense sticking thundercats into a modern day setting. What's next, Silver Hawks are really a Hockey team from another dimension? & Monstar is really Jem when not in drag?

Only plus side I can see to this is Cheetara...mmm

Just in case we get some more Thundercats fans here---I found this on the net long ago and kept it--I believe it to be the actual animation model sheet for the Sword of Omens. If not, it's 100x more accurate than it has any right to be:

Oh come on, everyone LOVES attempts to make "American Anime".  The major studios are so good at it...  ;) 

Isn't that what the Thundercats WERE originally?
This is a pretty bad idea, especially since it doesn't make any sense sticking thundercats into a modern day setting. What's next, Silver Hawks are really a Hockey team from another dimension? & Monstar is really Jem when not in drag?

Hey, you can't make the Silverhawks worse than they already are.

And I disavow any knowledge of Jem. :p

A point I read on another board was that Thundercats had a pretty large and fleshed out mythology--both their own, and "Third Earth". Plenty of places and legends to explore (or re-explore)--no need to ditch it all and come to Earth. Third Earth was a neat place as cartoon settings go. Especially Mumm-Ra's pyramid. Though the Ro-Bear Berbil jungle village has to go...

I think Cheetara should moonlight as as stripper, to hell with that rock band nonsense!

This reminds me of a point from the show, weren't they all supposed to repopulate third Earth and didn't it seem like Cheetara was the only female capable of reproduction (I never understood wiley cat and wiley kitten... who logically must be much older even though they appear young). I seriously hope thundercats produced large litters but either way it seemed like Cheetara was going to be spending a lot of time keeping her ankles elevated.

batty, they already had a splinter, his name was...whatever the hell his name was

You're right, I was forgetting the ghost guy. It does seem like they just completely merged him with Snarf though... no, i couldn't guess why.

Edited by jenius

I haven't watched into the second & third box yet, but from what I remember, there were more females later. And his name was Jaga (finally remembered). Seems to me if they were going to merge the characters, they'd stick with the better name. And since you know there's going to be a comic relief character, thye'd leave him as Snarf.

Wily Kit & Kat were technically older than Lion-O, but since they had stayed cryogenically frozen longer than he did, they didn't physically age.

Hey, you can't make the Silverhawks worse than they already are.

427961[/snapback]

Better Silverhawks gets that treatment than Visionaries, I say.

I actually used to like this show, but thankfully now I can't remember it, along with the likes of Silverhawks, Bionic Six or something like that, Galaxy Rangers and The Centurions.

When Thundercats got rereleased, they had it playing at a anime store. I stood there for the intro, heard the music, and I said to myself: "I actually liked this crap when I was a little kid?".

How people change over time.

But there are some that I will never be ashamed of, and that's Macross and Samurai Pizza Cats. :p

Edited by kensei

This new show sounds like design by comittee.

Suit #1: "OK, we're bringing back the Thundercats... suggestions?"

Suit #2: "Why not make them all a rock band? With magic powers?"

Suit #3: "And we need to give them ALL magic weapons so they are all special."

Suit #2: "Oh I like that idea... it would tie in well with child size play weapons... let me get marketing in on this meeting..."

Marketing: "We don't care what you do, just make sure you introduce new characters every other episode, give everyone one or two vehicles, make sure there are at minimum two or three things we can turn into massive playsets... oh and if possible make two or three female characters and one old guy we can shortpack for that goofy adult collector market."

Suit #4: "And let's make this all take place in modern day so creative doesn't have to dream up any special planets or alien worlds."

Suit #2: "Oh yeah, that's a great idea... then let's jump on the bandwagon and make them all tweens or teens so we can work in the usual after school special life lessons, teen/adolescent issues and PC storylines!"

Suit #4: "I'm seeing a prom episode already!"

Marketing: "I see children's books and various other educational tie-ins."

Suit #1: "I like what I'm hearing... now let's make it all like that Japanimation stuff that the kids seem to love..."

Suit #3: "My life partner felt that Snarf was misused as comic relief, let's recast him as the wise old sage and make someone else the comic relief."

Suit #1: "Sounds good. Any other suggestions?"

Marketing: "If possible can we ink a deal for the video game on a next gen console that is just coming out so we can cash in on the 'but its one of the only games available right now' craze?"

Suit #4: "And also let's..."

-Knock on boardroom door-

Original Writer: "I heard you guys where redoing Thundercats... here is my updated script that builds on the original, expands on the characters and turns what was simply a forgettable '80s toy vehicle show into a magnum opus of literary genius!"

Suit #1: "Security to the boardroom."

• 3 weeks later...

Why?

It's not like it could possibly be any worse than the original Thundercats.

You're probably right i could barely stomach the show when they were re-running it a while back on cartoon network and i was already 18+, but still at least it wasn't nearly as bad as what they have planned for the show now, if this is true.

"It's aimed at kids" always rung more than a little hollow of an excuse to me. Maybe the reason so many people grow up loving, or at least accepting, the crap thrown at them, is because of the crap we shove down their throats when they're children?