It Is Finally Here...

wwwmwww

Look what I got in the mail today...

DStance.png

The box it was shipped in is sitting just below so you can see the date it was shipped and you should even be able to tell what city it was shipped from. I've been after this kit longer then any other and I've paid more for this chunk of resin then any other too. I was afraid to say too much before I had it in my hands as I didn't want this to fall through my fingers.

I've NEVER seen one of these on Yahoo Japan though I must admit I don't have the time to keep up with Yahoo Japan that I used to so its possible I've missed some. Noel sold one on eBay years ago and that's the only time I've seen this kit on eBay. This kit is that very same kit and its taken a very long time to track down again.

I don't have the fast pack parts but to my knowledge D'Stance only had one offering of this kit. I now can't think of which event it was but I think I have that recorded someplace. Anyways, D'Stance made the fast pack parts AFTER that release and to my knowledge they never did release the fast pack parts. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong though.

I'll post some more pics this weekend when I have some more time...

Enjoy... I sure enjoyed the hunt for this one...

Carl

Shoulders! THAT is what I need to know about. The D'Stance clearly attempts to follow Kawamori's drawing for the shoulder/wingroot LE area---and is the only one to come close. Namely the "ball" of the shoulder in battroid, and how it rotates away inside the fuselage in fighter mode.

As for plans for it---I'd recommend sending it to Graham, so he can send it to Yamato, and eventually we could ALL own one, in a way. :)

Edited by David Hingtgen

I'm not exactly sure how awesome this set is but I wanna say congrats anyway, so congrats! ^o^ Post pics of it later, I'm sure a number of us wanna see it a lot when it's completed.

As for plans for it---I'd recommend sending it to Graham, so he can send it to Yamato, and eventually we could ALL own one, in a way.  :)

427402[/snapback]

I'm actually not opposed to that idea. I'd like it back after Yamato was done examining it but I doubt that would be the only problem.

Could Yamato legally reverse engineer this D'Stance kit without paying or giving some credit to D'Stance? This is a licenced kit so I'd think D'Stance has a right to some compensation sould it be copied. I don't view it as that different from someone selling recasts which wouldn't be legal in Japan. So... if Yamato wanted to examine this model wouldn't it be better for them to deal directly with D'Stance? I've been in indirect contact with them several times before so they aren't really all that hard to contact. The email address on the box was still good the last time I had someone contact them for me so it's probably still good. They don't reply to emails asking for them to sell this kit outside an event and I don't think I've ever gotten them to reply to an email that wasn't in Japanese either but I sure bet they'd be happy to hear from Yamato. I believe Seiichi, Masato Shono, and maybe Noel have all been in direct contact with D'Stance for me at one time or another. If they can do it I'm sure Yamato can find them.

Graham, if Yamato would like to see my kit PLEASE let me know.

And doing some digging for this post I found this thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=16095

Looks like it took just under a year to get this one in my hands after I'd found it again. B))

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

The below quote contains the info I was trying to remember in my first post above. To my knowledge D'Stance ONLY sold this kit at the Summer 2002 Wonder Fest and I don't think they've had a booth at any event since.

Also the second link in the quote will take you to scans of the instructions that come with the kit that several of you are asking about. These are scans Noel made for me from this very kit after he had sold it on eBay. If you still want larger ones I can make them this weekend.

Carl

Did a little digging.  D'Stance sold these at the Summer 2002 Wonder Fest for 23000yen.  Noel at one time had some pictures of that event here:

http://www.blackaces.per.sg/summer/summer21.html

Noel, if you see this.  Is that report still up on the web in another location?  If so could you point me to it again?  If not could you post the pictures that were on the above page of that report again?  I'd like to have a copy of them.  Thanks...

Carl

P.S.  There is some more info here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=92

325596[/snapback]

Edited by wwwmwww

I don't think wwwmwww actually builds his kits.  At least not often.  More of a collecter in the true sense of the word.

At least if memory serves me correctly.

427519[/snapback]

In practice that's more true then I'd like... at least currently. I enjoy building kits and I want to build them all eventually I just don't have time to get back into that mode at the moment. I've half heartedly made the comment I view this as planning for retirement in the past but I truely hope it doesn't take that long for me to get to building some of these. So I have no immediate plans for the kit aside from maybe sharing it with Yamato if they are interested.

When I do build it I'll seriously think about recasting it for my own personal use. I'd much rather mess up a copy then this original considering what I paid for it.

Carl

I was thinking that too, I just wasn't going to say it.  The greatest gift is sharing...  :)

427551[/snapback]

I do love to share but I'm not jumping in that boat again... atleast not now. The last time I tried that was with an IHP kit after I had thought they'd given up only to later find out they'd become Liquid Stone. So I got burned in the process and I may have burned all of you too as I haven't seen any Macross kits come out of IHP or Liquid Stone since their last YF-19 and I don't want a repeat of that.

Sorry...

Carl

Congratulations!!! I know you've been tracking down that kit for what...3+ years now? Persistence always pays off!!  :)

427678[/snapback]

Thanks Shawn... anything to pull you into the forums. We miss having you around.

And yes 3 years sounds about right for the really active hunting. D'Stance released it 4 years ago but for about a year I had hopes of getting one direct from them which is why I didn't pursue Noel's auction any more then I did. I don't recall when D'Stance first put up their website but it was before the Summer Wonder Fest in 2002 so I've been really wanting to get one of these in my hands for 4+ years now.

Here is what's left of their initial home page:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021005204741/...sshy/index.html

Note the link to MacrossWorld at the bottom.

Carl

Nice kit. With only about 20 in the world I`d be scared to make it and thus detract the value of such a rare find. Personal recast is the only option I would use. I feel bad about building some of my stuff and a lot of it is still in production, or available on eBay by the ton.

Just proves that; If you look hard enough then you can find anything.

Edited by big F

Congratulations on your find, I too was checking out that auction on ebay years ago and figured it would make the occassional appearance, boy was I wrong! :p

I honestly don't think Yamato would be interested in seeing the kit, from all the hints that Graham drops, I wouldn't be surprised if their 1/60 YF-21 was 90% complete by now. But still though, it's a nice gesture :)

There's a difference between "copying" and "inspiration". Taking a close look at something, then doing something similar--that's not copying. :) All Yamato really needs is some "inspiration" from the most ingenious parts of it. :) You gotta admit--there's only so many ways to make a YF-21 transform, and Yamato already has Kawamori's approval to use his design. And the best parts of the D'Stance transformation is what Kawamori already designed into it---it's just that they're the only ones who've implemented them. So it's more a matter of "seeing how to make Kawamori's design work". D'stance can't claim the YF-21's transformation----Kawamori designed it, not them. They can only claim a particular variation, 95% of which is already independently shared with every other transforming YF-21.

At the moment, I mainly want pics of the shoulder, and how it goes into the wing/body. That whole area is the key to everything IMHO. Plus the fact that they have done in 3D what I still haven't been able to figure out from Kawamori's drawing of the YF-21's transformation--he draws it like D'stance did it, but I still haven't quite figured out what rotates how.

PS--If I had one, I'd probably make a personal casting of the canopy, head and belly plates, so I could alter them to make a VF-22. Then paint it in Milia colors! Based on years of comments from Graham, it seems unlikely Yamato will ever acquire the M7 license, thus no Max and Milia VF-22's.

So what's the difference between the D-Stance YF-21 shoulder and the SHE YF-21 shoulder?

The SHE shoulder also featured a rotating mechanism to move the shoulder further back and expose the yellow color wing root section in fighter mode. See this pic: -

SHE YF-21 Fighter Shoulder

I've never seen a good pic of the D-Stance shoulder area in fighter mode.

Graham

someone post the D"Stance pictures of the the YF-21 in all three modes. I believe the sides of the jet conceal the fact that they are the batrroid arms really well.

vinnie

EDIT IN: SO can we assume that Yamato's 1/60 YF-21 is heavily based on SHE's version?

For the Shoulder transformation here is the link:

D'Stance YF-21 Shoulder

Edited by justvinnie

So what's the difference between the D-Stance YF-21 shoulder and the SHE YF-21 shoulder?

The SHE shoulder also featured a rotating mechanism to move the shoulder further back and expose the yellow color wing root section in fighter mode. See this pic: -

SHE YF-21 Fighter Shoulder

I've never seen a good pic of the D-Stance shoulder area in fighter mode.

Graham

427919[/snapback]

As you can see in the instructions from the link in my post above, the shoulder "ball" unfolds flatter and makes the jet more streamlined.

vinnie

Edit in: here's a picture of it

post-375-1156403333_thumb.jpg

Edited by justvinnie