There's Something About Milia

MjrMisaHayase

Uhm... the whole Zentraedi gene dominance theory is another fallicy created by RPGers who don't know genetics. In general, it is completely random.

Of course, there is some weight to the arguement of Max's "ability". As it is known that Y chromosome sperm are generally faster, but weaker, and X carrying chromosome sperm are generally slower, but have more stamina. And the more excited the woman is, the more acidic the, erm, race course is - the more likely the faster, weaker sperm will be killed off and the slower, stronger ones will make it to the ovum.

Max is truly a genius, eh. ;)

I read an article about a new study in genetics. Apparently, parents who are good looking are more likely to have girls, and parents who are smart are more likely to have boys. I've oversimplified it, but that was the gist. I can't find the url though, darn it.

It should also be pointed out that chromosomes are the final determining factor for gender in humans. It's believed that most supermodel types are in fact XY women. Genetic testing at the olympics one year showed that many of the female competitors had Y chromosomes.

Gender is determined by hormones, and developing body's reaction to them. When the body reacts to or rejects the hormones can cause problems with gender development.

It should also be pointed out that chromosomes are the final determining factor for gender in humans. It's believed that most supermodel types are in fact XY women. Genetic testing at the olympics one year showed that many of the female competitors had Y chromosomes.

Gender is determined by hormones, and developing body's reaction to them. When the body reacts to or rejects the hormones can cause problems with gender development.

426817[/snapback]

I was going to say that... Being XY is no garantee you'll be male. It's all about hormone balance. That's why steroids can be a problem. It throws that natural balance off. Max's kids may in fact be XY females based on Zentraedi dominance of the X chromosome. They are also sterile. I have never heard of an XY female giving birth. Jamie Lee Curtis is a an XY female.

vinnie

I have never heard of an XY female giving birth. Jamie Lee Curtis is a an XY female.

426892[/snapback]

I believed that for awhile, then thought it was an urban legend? Snopes.com states that there's no definitive evidence as to whether Curtis is really XY aside from rumors.

426817[/snapback]

I was going to say that... Being XY is no garantee you'll be male. It's all about hormone balance. That's why steroids can be a problem. It throws that natural balance off. Max's kids may in fact be XY females based on Zentraedi dominance of the X chromosome. They are also sterile. I have never heard of an XY female giving birth. Jamie Lee Curtis is a an XY female.

vinnie

426892[/snapback]

so max getting grand kids is completely out of the question eh?

bet that sux, his blood line ends with half blood alien babies!

:lol:

but think of what it could mean for his daughters.... i'm gonna shutup now :ph34r:

Edited by GrimlockCW

I won't discount the possibility that Max and Miria's daughters are some to all XY females. HOWEVER, there is no evidence of anything in the animation.

Some quick questions: how many of them are known to be married? How many of them are known to be in romantic relations that could result in Max and Miria's grandchildren?

I think these claims of their sterility is simply to attempt to explain one of the many mysteries of Macross, when the answer is in plain sight: they, as characters, haven't been given the chance to show whether they can or cannot bear children. If you want a definite answer, go badger Kawamori Shouji to include it in his next 2050+ era Macross story!

Edited by sketchley

I won't discount the possibility that Max and Miria's daughters are some to all XY females.  HOWEVER, there is no evidence of anything in the animation.

Some quick questions: how many of them are known to be married?  How many of them are known to be in romantic relations that could result in Max and Miria's grandchildren?

I think these claims of their sterility is simply to attempt to explain one of the many mysteries of Macross, when the answer is in plain sight: they, as characters, haven't been given the chance to show whether they can or cannot bear children.  If you want a definite answer, go badger Kawamori Shouji to include it in his next 2050+ era Macross story!

427687[/snapback]

actually, if I was bioengineering a sterile race of giants, this would make some sense. Inherently we all start out as females at conception. Maleness doesn't develop until later on. So it is easier to make ALL hybrid children female than than it is to make them male. On top of that females can only bear one child (normally) at a time. So one female can only get impregnated by one male. The opposite is not true. One male can impregnate many females. By suppressing the child bearing ability of females, you have much more control over birth rates. That's why some methods of pest control targets only females.

This is all moot since we know that male Zentraedi-human hybrids do exists (Guld). So there's a dysjunct in continuity somewhere. Unless SK wants it to be that the gender of whatever the Zentraedi parent is will be the gender of the hybrid offspring.

vinnie

actually, if I was bioengineering a sterile race of giants, this would make some sense. Inherently we all start out as females at conception. Maleness doesn't develop until later on. So it is easier to make ALL hybrid children female than than it is to make them male. On top of that females can only bear one child (normally) at a time. So one female can only get impregnated by one male. The opposite is not true. One male can impregnate many females. By suppressing the child bearing ability of females, you have much more control over birth rates.  That's why some methods of pest control targets only females.

It'd be a great control to keep them from propogating without their masters... if they hadn't given them cloning chambers.

This is all moot since we know that male Zentraedi-human hybrids do exists (Guld). So there's a dysjunct in continuity somewhere. Unless SK wants it to be that the gender of whatever the Zentraedi parent is will be the gender of the hybrid offspring.

vinnie

427701[/snapback]

Except it's not continuity. The whole "zentradi hybrids are all girls" thing was from the Robotech RPG, which is as far from continuity as you can get.

Actually, it could even work within the RPG setting. Guld's situation is reversed from the Jeniuses, since his mom is human and his dad is zentran.

IF the zentradi genes overpower the human ones, he still has a 50/50 shot because his father has both.

IIRC, Guld has a side effect because of his human+zentran genes. That's why he has to keep taking drugs to surpress the side effects. At least that'st what being discussed when he's talking to the corporal in Macross Plus OVA :huh:

actually, if I was bioengineering a sterile race of giants, this would make some sense. Inherently we all start out as females at conception. Maleness doesn't develop until later on. So it is easier to make ALL hybrid children female than than it is to make them male. On top of that females can only bear one child (normally) at a time. So one female can only get impregnated by one male. The opposite is not true. One male can impregnate many females. By suppressing the child bearing ability of females, you have much more control over birth rates.  That's why some methods of pest control targets only females.

It'd be a great control to keep them from propogating without their masters... if they hadn't given them cloning chambers.

vinnie

427701[/snapback]

Except it's not continuity. The whole "zentradi hybrids are all girls" thing was from the Robotech RPG, which is as far from continuity as you can get.

Actually, it could even work within the RPG setting. Guld's situation is reversed from the Jeniuses, since his mom is human and his dad is zentran.

IF the zentradi genes overpower the human ones, he still has a 50/50 shot because his father has both.

427735[/snapback]

Edited by rnurmin

I think Max and Miria's kids are all girls because Miria was one of the hot chicks in Macross, and her kids makes for satisfied imaginings in the Macross otaku... or something like that.

Guld is dysfunctional the way he is because it helps the story, adds some mystery, etc.. Please note how many other Zentraedi have the same condition as him. (I think it has something to do with him surpressing memories and the memories leaking out in unexpected ways, rather than anything to do with his Zentraedi gene pool.)

Guld's "inherited condition" was just a short temper.

Plenty of humans have it too, it's nothing major...

Unless, of course, they have serious mental issues because they lost control of that temper, beat up their best friends in high school and maybe tried to rape one of them.

Guld was just an angry man. Had nothing to do with being Zentradi or otherwise. If it were that chronic a problem through out the Zentradi, then fleets like the Macross 5 wouldn't exist, as there would be too much danger of them running amok.

Hell, for all we know, Guld's pills could have been sugar pills (as they didn't seem to do anything in the end).

There was also no need to make the Zentradi sterile (as we know for a fact they weren't) since they were kept ignorant & in fear of each other's genders. There's zero evidence in known Macross canon to point towards any XY females, dominance of one gender over the other in procreation, or any such nonsense. The fact that Max & Milia have all daughters just points towards Max being a super ace!

• 3 weeks later...

max has all daughters because if he had a son, the son would have to eventually challenge and defeat the father, and we can't have that.

]Well, my Millia had 4 girls and 3 boys (but not completely pink, however...)

:lol:

and she is a little smaller than a giant

max has all daughters because if he had a son, the son would have to eventually challenge and defeat the father, and we can't have that.

Well considering their kids have the genetics of aces from two separate races, I'd suspect Max has at least one daughter or two who can match his ability, the odds favor that.... B))

Speaking as the father of a <far too> beautiful 12yo girl...

Max has 6 daughters as punishment for being a lecherous male teenager.

lol, jk. (not really)

I'm sure it has more to do with perceptual, SK desire to not overshadow his greatest character, and with Max Jenius being a Genius. ;)

The whole "zentradi hybrids are all girls" thing was from the Robotech RPG, which is as far from continuity as you can get.

I don't remember that being in the Robotech RPG, since they only mention Dana (for one thing) and the fact its out of step with Robotech anyway as Max and Miriya have 3 kids: 2 daughters and a son. Are you sure you don't mean the Macross II RPG?

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil