Sega Genesis Collection

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152778

Look at the line up on this single compilation... all I can say is WOW! :o

I thought Capcom Classic Collection Vol. 2 was going to be my last PS2 game. Looks like I was wrong. :D It's been pretty amazing some of these compilations that have been coming out recently.

wtf they don't have that motorcycle game where you could beat people with chains?  Bleh, whatever, it's a good collection, but I don't have time to play them all.  Is this their answer to the Wii's feature?

424141[/snapback]

Wasn't Road Rash originaly done by EAgames? Anycase I'm glad to see this Genesis collection come out on PS2/PSP. I contemplated getting the Radica Genesis classics Plug and Play games but now I think not. :D

Because it's a Sega Master System title.

:p

Seriously, I think the whole scheme here is Genesis-era games. Kind of sad Phantasy Star 1 isn't in the group, though.

424162[/snapback]

Actually, Phantasy Star did come out on the Mega Drive (Japanese Genesis)! It was a remake of the original Master System Phantasy Star, but the sprites were redone to take advantage of the Mega Drive hardware. Alas, Sega nor Backbone Entertainment can be bothered to translate so many pages of text for so old a game. <_<

Ah, but passable translations already exist for the whole series, there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be out on a (non-handheld) collection. We were supposed to get the Sega Ages version done a couple years ago, but looks like that fell through.

BTW, don't forget there's also a Capcom Classics volume 2 coming out, and we can all finally play the crappy original street fighter again! (well, those of us who don't have psp's).

Seriously, I think the whole scheme here is Genesis-era games. Kind of sad Phantasy Star 1 isn't in the group, though.

424162[/snapback]

Actually, Phantasy Star did come out on the Mega Drive (Japanese Genesis)! It was a remake of the original Master System Phantasy Star, but the sprites were redone to take advantage of the Mega Drive hardware. Alas, Sega nor Backbone Entertainment can be bothered to translate so many pages of text for so old a game. <_<

424215[/snapback]

What I've heard is that it's actually the SMS game, on a SMS->Megadrive adapter board(the Genny was backwards-compatible YEARS before the PS2).

Also why there's no ROM image, as the Genesis can't run it in Genesis mode.

Besides, Sega already did the Sega Ages Phantasy Star. It's had it's PS2 showing, and even a remake.

I find it interesting that everyone's immediatly griping that Sega isn't including games they don't own(Thunder Force, Road Rash).

Personally, I think it's more worth griping that we're getting watered-down Genesis versions of some really signifigant arcade games.

Genny Golden Axe is less of a slap to the face than Nintendo's obsession with NES Donkey Kong(Virtua Fighter 2, though, is probably more of one), but it's still damned annoying.

WTF?

"Three unlockable games will also be available in the PS2 version only: Zaxxon, Tac/Scan, and Zektor."

A. All 3 are arcade games with no Genesis counterparts.

B. Zektor! WE GOT VECTORS!

No Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage either...

424069[/snapback]

Yeah, this sucks but these game were unlockables in the Japanese PS2/GameCube Sonic Gems Collection. So if you got a Japanese or modded PS2/GameCube, I would recommend searching for this compilation.

am i the only one that link doesn't work for?

424214[/snapback]

I've had trouble with links to 1up before. Sometimes they never load.

There are some good games here but no Streets of Rage is a sin. Why a Genesis version of Virtua Fighter 2 is on there is beyond me. Maybe I'll buy this for Shinobi and Altered Beast.

The US got screwed with the Sonic Gems Collection. It was released on the PS2 and Gamecube in Japan and Europe. They both had all 3 Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle games. There is no US PS2 version. When the Gamecube verison came to the US, Sega removed those three games. Sega said they had to so they could rate the collection "E for Everyone" instead of "Teen". Idiots

424162[/snapback]

424215[/snapback]

What I've heard is that it's actually the SMS game, on a SMS->Megadrive adapter board(the Genny was backwards-compatible YEARS before the PS2).

424243[/snapback]

That doesn't sound unreasonable, but I've actually held the Phantasy Star Mega Drive drive game in my hand. When I flipped through the booklet I was expecting a straight port of the SMS game in all it's 8-bit glory, but all the screenshots were definitely 16-bit. I asked the guy selling it what was up since I had never heard of it and he said that the game was a limited release in Japan.

Nearly every cart has been dumped by the ROM scene from obscure games to betas, but it's not impossible that a title or two such as Phantasy Star have slipped through the cracks.

424162[/snapback]

424215[/snapback]

424243[/snapback]

That doesn't sound unreasonable, but I've actually held the Phantasy Star Mega Drive drive game in my hand. When I flipped through the booklet I was expecting a straight port of the SMS game in all it's 8-bit glory, but all the screenshots were definitely 16-bit. I asked the guy selling it what was up since I had never heard of it and he said that the game was a limited release in Japan.

Nearly every cart has been dumped by the ROM scene from obscure games to betas, but it's not impossible that a title or two such as Phantasy Star have slipped through the cracks.

424278[/snapback]

Interesting...

Makes me wish I had a copy to muck with.

I suppose it's possible the game could be 8-bit and still make use of the Genny's "advanced" video features. Write to the proper registers and you should be able to change the video mode.

I've heard the game's been dumped before, but the resulting ROM image was unusable on emus as well as copiers/flashcarts . That'd probably be enough to keep it out of mainstream distribution.

I do know the emu scene doesn't always get everything. And the obsession with carrying complete "GoodXXXX" sets and nothing else doesn't help.

Used to be a bit more diversity in the sites, but now it's all "FULL GOOD-WTF-EVER SET!1111" and very little else. Which is even worse since A. they didn't deal with NES headers until very recently(headers on NES images are required for proper functionality), and B. they're one of the worst purveyors of misinformation around(Last I checked, they were still spreading the myth that Nintendo Power magazine gave away games in Japan).

I hate Cowering's tools.

Does anyone have a link to news about another Capcom Collection for PS2 (and maybe XBox?), which seems to be the case according to what I'm hearing from some of you? If so, does anyone know what games will be on it?

I loved the first collection and plan on getting the Remixed Collection for PSP. I have seen an announcement for another Capcom Collection for PSP to be released in the Fall, but I'd rather play these on a PS2 or XBox.

Also, this Sega Collection looks promising, but the lack of the Streets of Rage games sucks. Hopefully, we'll get all 3 (uncensored, too!) in another collection with some of their better shooters. I'd really like to see them do a collection of Mega Drive games that were awesome yet never released in the US.