1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

The way you tell it, the thing just fell apart in your hands through no fault or force on your part. I'm sorry, but that sounds highly unlikely.

425885[/snapback]

so you're trying to tell us that you've never had anything break on you for no reason?

hmmm, let me see the countless things that have broken through no fault or force of my own....

my sony stereo just broke recently. one minute it was working, next minute it stopped. it must've broken because i go jogging with it strapped to my back.

my ps2 broke a little while ago too. one day i'm playing AC5, next day nadda. that must've broken when i took it deep sea diving with me.

my TV doesn't work. it just sits there on my TV stand but for some reason it just stopped working. but i failed to mention that everytime i want to turn it on, i throw a brick at.

i had this car, i took care of it real well, i changed the oil every 2500 miles, took it in twice a year for a check up, but for whatever reason, it just stopped running...oh wait i left out the part where i jumped it into the grand canyon.

i'd roll my eyes right about now, but i broke the smilie button while making this post....

my sony stereo just broke recently.  one minute it was working, next minute it stopped.  it must've broken because i go jogging with it strapped to my back.

my ps2 broke a little while ago too.  one day i'm playing AC5, next day nadda. that must've broken when i took it deep sea diving with me.

my TV doesn't work.  it just sits there on my TV stand but for some reason it just stopped working.  but i failed to mention that everytime i want to turn it on, i throw a brick at.

i had this car, i took care of it real well, i changed the oil every 2500 miles, took it in twice a year for a check up, but for whatever reason, it just stopped running...oh wait i left out the part where i jumped it into the grand canyon.

i'd roll my eyes right about now, but i broke the smilie button while making this post....

425895[/snapback]

You're using electronic devices and pieces of complex machinery with tons of moving parts in your attempt to discredit my original statement? ooooookay, whatever. :wacko:

so you're trying to tell us that you've never had anything break on you for no reason?

425895[/snapback]

No, I've never had any TOY break on me for no reason. There is always a reason.

Edited by mister_e

my sony stereo just broke recently.  one minute it was working, next minute it stopped.  it must've broken because i go jogging with it strapped to my back.

my ps2 broke a little while ago too.  one day i'm playing AC5, next day nadda. that must've broken when i took it deep sea diving with me.

my TV doesn't work.  it just sits there on my TV stand but for some reason it just stopped working.  but i failed to mention that everytime i want to turn it on, i throw a brick at.

425895[/snapback]

You're using electronic devices and pieces of complex machinery with tons of moving parts in your attempt to discredit my original statement? ooooookay, whatever. :wacko:

425895[/snapback]

No, I've never had any TOY break on me for no reason. There is always a reason.

425905[/snapback]

hey, i was just giving examples of things breaking through no fault of my own.

you want a toy, okay how about the stupid toynami valk stand. people simply placed the valk on the stand, a few hours go by then bam! its broken. all these people with broken stands must be lying, its must be their fault because they used them as buttplugs, but they were too embarassed about it and left that out. yeah that must be it. ...damn broken smilie, i still can't roll my eyes at you....LOL!

I've never had a toy break for no reason either. But I've had pieces not work right, like on my 1/48's. Okay, here everybody can throw as much poo at me as you'd like; I earned it. My Roy Focker that was in fighter mode and put at a very sharp angle sideways finally fell down. That little piece that everyone else has had tear... tore. So there you go. I suck. I'll admit it. But I do still like these toys! ;) If you don't put them at that angle the stands are fine. And nothing on my toy broke when it hit (I suspect while I was asleep) and it was loaded with the heavy missiles I'll add. Now I can cheerfully try out my gorilla glue method and see how that works out.

I'll also admit that the fact that the little piece broke is my fault. I shouldn't have expected that little piece to hold up in a pose like that. After all, it's just a cheapy stand side-bonus, not the actual toy.

And Jenius; I agree with your marketing strategy criticism. Now I'll brace for the stoning.

Well I like these 1/100 valks but man the stand for fighter mode is crap. I had literally had it on the stand for maybe 2 hours when it crapped. My VF-1S Hikaru is in Battroid mode in the stand and it hasnt fallen in 2 weeks. It is just this "Ball Cup" piece that seems to be craptacular.

I fixed the split-rubber piece with gorilla glue. It's stronger than it was before I fixed it, and now I can put it in "fighter mode" tilted to the side as long as I want. ;) I might just purposely break all of those pieces on all my valks so I can fix'em.

I fixed the split-rubber piece with gorilla glue. It's stronger than it was before I fixed it, and now I can put it in "fighter mode" tilted to the side as long as I want. ;) I might just purposely break all of those pieces on all my valks so I can fix'em.

426025[/snapback]

You dont have to do that. It'll break by itself. no worries :)

call me a hater!

aaajin

I just got the first set, but have only opened the Roy 1S thus far. My initial impressions? I think that it's a neat little toy. Fun to screw around with, and very posable... much more so than any Yamato I own (numbering 25 or so at last count).

The sculpt is not that bad though - sure, the proportions are bit weird in a couple of places, but nothing that is a real deal breaker for me. Comparing it to some of my ARII 1/100 fighter models (widely recognized as the BEST 1/100 rendition of the Valkyrie), it is clear that the designers took some creative license with these, seeming necessitated by the fact that these are fully transformable... Except for the shoulders, which really do have no right being THAT big :) The length and wingspan are pretty close to the ARII, but the breadth of the legs and arms in fighter mode are much greater. The front fuselage also seems to have been scaled 'up' a bit.

It still kicks the poo out of the old Taka/Bandai 1/100 in terms of appearance and posability though. I'll have to report back on durability later ;)

Now, to mount this sucker on its stand... Muhahhahhaa!

Small update for me, I went ahead and mounted the 1S on its stand :). The ballcup DID crack overnight (surprise, surprise), but it did not drop the fighter. I had it balanced pretty well on the stand, kind of in anticipation of the event after reading all the gripes here. No big deal though, I just put some white glue in the socket, popped the ball in, wiped off the excess and let it dry. Still holds just fine. I went ahead and opened up my Max and Hikaru 1As and put them on the stands too, but neither one of those has cracked yet.

I still think that these are neat toys for what amounts to Banpresto money.

Yeah, I have the 1J s preordered too. I am hoping the fastpack sets land in the $10.00 or less region, but I won't hold my breath. They sure did look cool in the pics though.

I don't know of any prophylactic fix for the ballcup on the stand... although some reinforced tape, cut to a thin strip and wrapped around the cup may do the trick... I'll have to try that one out.

I don't know of any prophylactic fix for the ballcup on the stand... although some reinforced tape, cut to a thin strip and wrapped around the cup may do the trick... I'll have to try that one out.

426601[/snapback]

Why not buy replacement ball joints and polycaps from HLJ??

Less hassle and much better product. ;)

I'm certain that you're right, NMB4M, but I'm cheap, and these are cheap toys after all :)

If the tape trick doesn't work, I'd probably just display them on their feet, or landing gear, as appropriate... Though maybe, I can use some polycaps from some old ARII kits instead...

:lol:

Geezus keeeerist you guys are really dense...

I did this with all three of mine.

Dip the f'ing socket in some boiling water and snap the ball in, moving it around the whole time.

The rubber will stretch slightly and will NOT crack after it cools.

Problem SOLVED.

No glue.

No fuss.

No muss.

At the end of the day you can always melt a new ball/socket from somewhere onto the stand and ditch the Toynami ball/socket if you want...

But u guys are overthinking the heck out of this.

Geezus keeeerist you guys are really dense...

I did this with all three of mine.

Dip the f'ing socket in some boiling water and snap the ball in, moving it around the whole time.

The rubber will stretch slightly and will NOT crack after it cools.

Problem SOLVED.

No glue.

No fuss.

No muss.

At the end of the day you can always melt a new ball/socket from somewhere onto the stand and ditch the Toynami ball/socket if you want...

But u guys are overthinking the heck out of this.

426743[/snapback]

The boiling thing only would work BEFORE the socket cracks though. As for melting a new ball/socket from somewhere, I have no idea what that means. I guess I'm too dense. :lol:

Actually, I wonder if I could butcher my Revoltech EVA01 and bash one of the revoltech joints onto the stand...not a ball/socket joint, but it does have a wide range of motion and is more sturdy. Sorry EVA01, but I never loved you anyway...

Edited by eriku

426743[/snapback]

The boiling thing only would work BEFORE the socket cracks though. As for melting a new ball/socket from somewhere, I have no idea what that means. I guess I'm too dense. :lol:

426809[/snapback]

I'm too dense for that as well.

(I'll stick to the gorilla glue)

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Geezus guys have you never worked with molten plastic?! It is a common model building technique. Read up on it.

JBWeld works better than Gorilla Glue any way...

Geezus guys have you never worked with molten plastic?!  It is a common model building technique.  Read up on it.

JBWeld works better than Gorilla Glue any way...

426914[/snapback]

Never worked with molten plastic, unless you want to count me boiling my mouth pieces for kickboxing. So I'm not really in the know. Actually I'm completely ignorant. And I've never heard of JB weld. Any info on it I should know about?

From the Website:

Q: Is there anything that J-B Weld WON'T bond to?

A: J-B Weld will not adhere to, or bond well to:

* Any flexible rubber surface

* Leather

* Vinyl

* Canvass

* Polypropylene plastic

* Polyethylene plastic

I will be skipping this option.

Well the bottom line is we should not have to go through all of this in the first place. Get rid of stand and lower price. ;)

Edited by Mechafan