1/100 Toynami Valks Thread

Vermillion21

Well I like the SDCC valk but I'm currently mildly disappointed with the stand. I've had it posed 45 degrees sideways in fighter mode. Looks great. I look at it this afternoon and it's now at 80 degrees. Closer inspection shows that the cup part cracked. Looks like the stand can't support the angled weight.

Oh well, either I email Toynami for a new part or I use some super glue to fix it.

I received mine today. It's numbered 86/1,000. I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet or if I just totally missed it, but the skull & crossbones on the heatshield is raised!!! To me, this is far worse than the "iffy" head sculpt or long neck issue. This 3-D raised skull & crossbones really looks silly and is kind of ruining my enjoyment of the valk. I'm really starting to question whether or not I want to bother collecting the others. Maybe it won't bother me as much in the morning :unsure:

Edited by mister_e

I am not good with reviews but here are some pictures. I display my valks mostly with armor and missiles so I was too lazy to take everything off. Sorry about that.

Picture 1: Yamato 1/48 and Yamato 1/60 Pic 1

Picture 2: Bandai 1/55 and toynami 1/55 Pic 2

Picture 3: Bandai 3rd Misson, Banpresto Perfect Transformation, and Toynami Super Poseable Pic 3

Picture 4: Banpresto Perfect Transformation close up Pic 4

Edited by Mechafan

http://home.comcast.net/~teckmanfs/Temp/4.JPG

After seeing the comparison I like the banpresto shoulders and head sculpt better. They seem just the right size. And I think the toynami leg joint should start at the middle of the white portion of the nosecone. It would make his arms seem less gangly. (I'm looking at the lineart now)

The one thing I do like better though is how the knee caps are movable whereas on the banpresto they are fixed. Ah if they could just make the banpresto in similarly large scale with the same proportions and sculpt in higher quality and with moving kneecaps that would be good.

Toynami: I think it would be better if the legs were pushed lower down to make the valk taller and also to not have the nosecone tip touch so low down. (I think the tip of the nosecone should reach to the top of the kneecap) I think the only reason the lineart has the intake almost touching the chest plate is because of deformity in the battroid mode lineart. (ie tiny short nose when in battroid mode, and long and sleek when drawing fighter mode. If in 3d, I bet the nose would be much less stubby) Maybe they could add a little ratcheted sliding mechanism on the swingbar? (sort of like the 1/72 yf21FP which you can push up or down so the upper body sits 'higher') Anyway, wherever the the two bulges at the side of the nose are, that is where the leg attaches itself to and these are a little lower down from the two round circle things. The banpresto cheats and puts the leg joint lower than the bulges are, making itself a bit too tall, but its nosecone tip reaches about as low as the top of the kneecap so it balances out.

My advice would be to put the leg joint at least lower than the circle bar thing so it doens't have the "longish arms" look.

The thing about vf1 is that because it doesn't have flat feet like other later ones, it should have a "tall" look to it. (think of a chic on high heels)

Edit:

After looking it over again I think I am comfortable with the nose touching lower than the top of the kneecap if it means the fighter mode looks good. I think I just got used to battroid mode not having the intake section almost touching the chest plate. (I hate that) I still think they should try to put in some kind of sliding mechanism to choose how high you want the chest to sit so the nosecone doesn't dip so low in battroid mode though...

Could you show some pics of it being transformed? And some other modes?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

A word of caution on the Banprestos, they are extremely photogenic. Here's a pic from my review of them, it's a pic I love to this day so don't pick on it :)

Roy%20Banpresto%20small%2030.JPG

I think that pic looks great but the toy leaves a ton to be desired. I'm kinda bummed that most of the comparison shots I've seen so far compare the 1/100 Toynamis to previously made toys that include fast packs. I don't blame people for this though since it's kind of a hassle to strip your toys down for some comparsion shots but I think we all know how much fast packs do improve the look of these toys. Still, proportion-wise, I think we can all see the 1/100s have some weaknesses. I can't wait to get mine so I can do a thorough review!

Edited by jenius

I don't own any Banprestos, but I can tell from the pictures posted thus far that the Toynami 1/100 is a much better looking toy overall IMHO. As it should be really, since it's both larger and more expensive. The long nosecone and intakes nearly touching the chestplate in battroid are also present in the 1/48 Yammies, so they don't bother me here either. As for the nosecone, well there's nothing that can really be done about that since the lineart relies on "Anime Magic".

I still don't like the raised skull on the heatshield of the Toynami valk, but it's not bothering me as much as it did earlier.

Edited by mister_e

I just got mine - haven't had time to play with it, but I was not impressed with the cheap ass sticker label that said "Made in China, #088 of 1000". Is THAT the only identifier that says it is a limited collectable? Lame. Plus, no "convention exclusive" label anywhere on the box?

<_<

I just got mine - haven't had time to play with it, but I was not impressed with the cheap ass sticker label that said "Made in China, #088 of 1000".  Is THAT the only identifier that says it is a limited collectable?  Lame.  Plus, no "convention exclusive" label anywhere on the box?

<_<

420961[/snapback]

Yeah, Toynami SUCKS!!! :lol::p:rolleyes:

I just got mine - haven't had time to play with it, but I was not impressed with the cheap ass sticker label that said "Made in China, #088 of 1000".  Is THAT the only identifier that says it is a limited collectable?  Lame.  Plus, no "convention exclusive" label anywhere on the box?

<_<

420961[/snapback]

The boxes for the non-exclusives are white (see page 3 of this thread for pics). The box for this convention exclusive is black. Would still be nice if it said something about it being exclusive/limited on the package.

Edited by mister_e

The boxes for the non-exclusives are white (see page 3 of this thread for pics). The box for this convention exclusive is black. Would still be nice if it said something about it being exclusive/limited on the package.

Yep, that's all I wanted ... I know it may sound nitpicky, but it woulda been nice.

<_<

i got mine today....now i know why exo was so pissed off about these things. damn you toynami! you got me once with the MPC, you got me twice with alpha, now a third time with this little POS. :mellow:

i was really excited about having some 1/100 valks but these are seriously weak...i mean i just can't believe how shitty these things really are. its just unbelievable how a company can continuely put out a shitty product and stay in business. most companies get better over time, but toynami is just the opposite and progressively gets worse.

oh wellz, like i said before, i'll end up paying MSRP for the first one and wait to pick up the rest on the discount rack. there no reason on gods green earth why anyone in their right mind should pay $20 for these things. and as far as the FP kits that are being sold seperately(whack!), just judging from the rest of the accessories, they damn sure can't be worth more than $2.

Not that I'm doubting you (it's Toynami, I know what they are capable [or incapable] of) but can you elaborate on why these are so crappy? Do they have loose joints, bad parts fit, sloppy paint, etc..?

I'm excited for these because of the size, but I'm worried because it's Toynami. So far the only Toynami product that has please me has been the Alpha Morphers and their Lain figures (although those were weak in ways).

yep, these 1/100 scales are not worth $20 ... maybe $12, but they would have to minimize the quality of the box. $20 would be a good price with the FP included.

the two exclusives i got are 711 and 739 out of 1000...does that count as an exclusive status?

Sounds like I am glad I skipped this things. They got me on my MPCs. I took a chance with the Alphas, and they are ok. Voltron wasnt bad but these? I suspected it would be ok but not for that much. Accept no substitute! 1/48 all the way! :p

Not that I'm doubting you (it's Toynami, I know what they are capable [or incapable] of) but can you elaborate on why these are so crappy?  Do they have loose joints, bad parts fit, sloppy paint, etc..?

I'm excited for these because of the size, but I'm worried because it's Toynami.  So far the only Toynami product that has please me has been the Alpha Morphers and their Lain figures (although those were weak in ways).

421257[/snapback]

honestly, i can sit here and bash the toy all day but until you actually hold one and play with it yourself, you won't know why it sucks. don't get me wrong, if i spent $5 on this thing i wouldn't be complaining at all but i paid $25 plus shipping and thats too much for what this is/isn't.

you know how we recently had a poll on "Which form do you care about most in development of a new toy"? well toynami skipped that question altogether, instead they asked themselves, how can we make every mode the worst, then released this work of art.

I am not good with reviews but here are some pictures.  I display my valks mostly with armor and missiles so I was too lazy to take everything off.  Sorry about that.

Picture 1: Yamato 1/48 and Yamato 1/60  Pic 1

Picture 2:  Bandai 1/55 and toynami 1/55  Pic 2

Picture 3: Bandai 3rd Misson, Banpresto Perfect Transformation, and Toynami Super Poseable  Pic 3

Picture 4: Banpresto Perfect Transformation close up  Pic 4

420832[/snapback]

Thanks for the picks. Great reference for size. The new Toynami makes the old super posable look good.

Now that I have it in fighter mode the backpack is a floppy mess. I thought the first 1/60 was bad doing a barrel roll. Hopefully with the fastpacks that will not be an issue for me. Since there were not a lot of stickers I went on and sticked this one up. The only ones I did not like were the skulls on the tail fins. The exclusives will be full price but the rest will be below MSRP. The stand is nicer than what I first thought. Once again they should spend more time on the figure and not the box. For under $20 these would be great. I still like my Banprestos after getting one of these. Because for $15.00 or less I can have a nice valk with fastpacks.

Don't you guys get it already. It's the frickin box you are paying for and not the frickin toy. Toynami wants you to think you are buying a piece of art. Judge what is in the inside not the outside or Don't just a book buy its cover. You get the picture :p:lol: . I guess they want to copy what Bandai did with their vt-1, ve-1, and strike.....make a great looking box, but bandai had better stuff inside.

BTW, the only good thing I think Toynami released were the bookends :rolleyes: .

Yeah, Toynami is great at making boxes. That is what the kids get excited about. The package and that works until you are about four years old.

I just got mine from Lost and Found Toys today (84 of 1,000). Great sticker over the UPC code.

Have all the low numbers been on-line?

honestly, i can sit here and bash the toy all day but until you actually hold one and play with it yourself, you won't know why it sucks. don't get me wrong, if i spent $5 on this thing i wouldn't be complaining at all but i paid $25 plus shipping and thats too much for what this is/isn't.

you know how we recently had a poll on "Which form do you care about most in development of a new toy"? well toynami skipped that question altogether, instead they asked themselves, how can we make every mode the worst, then released this work of art.

I don't own one but I think the shoulders are really huuuuge. I think if they copied the proportions of the banpresto they actually would have been better off. (just lower the leg joint so it meets the bulges at the side of the valk nose and shortens the height a little in battroid mode, since the banpresto looks a little too tall)

I agree with everyone who has said include FP rather than as seperate parts. I don't need a fancy box since I am not the limited edition type guy who leaves things MIB. I'm more a display guy type. And for small scale stuff I want them all out of thier boxes and as cheap as possible. (as a result of the cheapness, you can mod a group of banpresto and make any valk you want: alaska base, stealth low vis etc) If you ever played army men as a little kid (remember those little plastic fixed posed world war 2 soldiers you buy in packs?) you know what I mean. I think the banpresto are like the posable equivalent of that: groups of battroids in various poses and stuff but in miniture size.

It will be interesting to see if they ever get to do some gbp for this.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

when i talked to the guy at the Toynami Booth at Comic Con.... he said they didn't have plans to release the 1/100's with fast packs included anytime soon....

he said the reason was that some people like em w/out the fastpacks.... Poo.... They should have included them anyways, and let the owner decide to the take off the packs themselves if they don't like em...

well he said they'd retail under $10.... BUT i'm hoping they retail at something like $4.99.... that wouldn't be such a bad investment for accessories for the these guys.....

If they were cheap, i think people wouldn't complain so much about it... because the biggest thing people don't like is the price.... If you could get a valk w/ fastpacks for $25.... that's not bad....

Wow, I don't know what you guys are complaining about. I got mine yesterday and it's very cool. Looks sweet in all modes. Yeah, the backpack is floppy in fighter, unfortunately, but that doesn't ruin it for me, not with the price and how good it looks. I have other small gripes, but overall I think the good far outweighs the bad. I'm glad it doesn't have those ugly low-hanging arms and shoulders that the 1/48 has. Also, the canopy is correctly proportioned, unlike the 1/48's bulbous canopy.

i see the 1/48's bulbous canopy...but i don't think its that big of a deal that people complain about... in fact, when i was watching Top Gun the other nite, i noticed that the Tomcats have the same bulge in their canopies like the 1/48 VF-1's....

i guess it gives a more realistic touch IMO...

anyways.... back on topic.... i like the 1/100's enough since they look kinda cool on the stands... i have mine flying in Battroid mode next to my Koenig... pretty nice pair if u ask me....

oh... and another thing... the guy at the Toynami Booth said they are going full out w/ the 1/100 line and will be releasing Destroids and what not in 1/100 scale... They wanted to recreate battle scenes or something, so maybe we'll see some 1/100 enemy mecha soon too....

I got mine on Saturday. I've been transforming it back and forth. I'm really surprised by how disapointed some people are with this item. I personally like it. My background with collecting Macross toys/models is pretty limited. I've owned an original transformer Jetfire, Yamato 1/60 cf vf-1a, Yamato 1/48 Roy Vf-1s, Hikaru vf-1j, CF vf-1a, Low vis vf-1a and the first set of K&M Gashapon valks. I think what you think of this item depends on what perspective you are coming from. These definitely lean more towards the K&M Gashapon than they do 1/48's.

Well here is my quick review. Considering my experience take it for what it's worth.

The item is all made of a really light plastic (cheap I'm sure). I find that the battroid is the more accurate of the three forms, followed by Gerwalk and then the Fighter. There is a good amount of articulation and all sorts of poses you can do with this thing.

I have heard some complaints that this thing just flops all over the place. I have had no such problem with mine as it stands right up in whatever pose I leave it in. I feel that the 1/60 I owned was much more prone to flopping. Once in a while an arm or leg may come away from it's joint while I'm transforming it... but it easily slides back into place. I find the overall transformation extremely simple. Only thing I really pay attention to is moving the breastplate from fighter/gerwalk to battriod.

I treat my 1/48's like museum pieces so I'm often apprehensious to handle them at all. In most cases they never leave there box. This valk is alot like my Gasphon set in that you don't have to worry about snapping a $150 bp-8. you can just have fun with it. What I think will really help the 1/100 line out is if they make enemy mecha and destroids.

If you are loooking for something to collect that will gain value over time, I'd probably pass on this. If you just want something to hack around with and not worry about it becoming devaluated than I think that you should give this a try. I know it's not much of a review (never did one for anything) but I hope it helps some. If anyone has specific questions I'll try to answer them. I don't have a quality camera so that is why there is a lack of pictures.

My review is the latest post on my site, to read it, CLICK HERE.

I rushed it out so if you see anything patently wrong or even spelling flub ups let me know :)

I'll work on doing some fun comparison stuff and setting up a second post as time permits.

421406[/snapback]

Great review. Much better than my effort. Think you are spot on in your analysis.

What really struck me as interesting was your observation of how at times it is easier to just swap a part over trying to transform it, as well as; how more diecast would have made it better than an MPC. I always thought that it would be interesting if someone could make a highly detailed diecast valk in a small scale such as this, but rely mostly on part swapping over transformation. Similar to the 1/60 leg removal but expanded to include the arms and/or backpack, nosecone etc.. This would probably allow for having a better mold and greater detail ala 1/72 diecast models like those fighters made by companies like dragonwings etc.

Edited by VT-102