Vf-1a Photoshop Madness

Jay-Lew

Many of you have been following my Macross / Robotech CG progress, some have not. A bunch of you have requested that I start a new thread with my latest VF-1A pics for you all to have some Photoshop fun. Well here you all go! I did a few new poses for you as well. Feel free to edit them as you see fit. My only request is that if you use the off site, that you please credit me for the original model. Thanks!

Enjoy!

Jason

post-3050-1154475465_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475478_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475485_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475496_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475505_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475511_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475530_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475552_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475558_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475572_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475585_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475595_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475608_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475615_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1154475623_thumb.jpg

Well, here are some pics with the exellent VF-1a model Jay-Lew made.

Two of them where posted in Jay's original CG thread. I did a little touchup work on them and thought I'd post them here too. The third one I just finished.

Enjoy!

post-3373-1155407288_thumb.jpg

post-3373-1155407305_thumb.jpg

post-3373-1155407316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dante74

I don't know what program your using. But with XSI you can make real looking glass using the Render Tree.

I also do a little tickyness with XSI's Materials/Phong to get the right type of Glass look. Set your color Mat to like a light really really light blue <Unless it a Militray App light Green> that should help. Also work with your Reflection and Transparancy. Other then the rest of the model.

All I gotta say is. I love what you did to your Texture Skining. Did you do a Displacment or Bump? Because it really looks nice. But all I can see is the Canopy is the real problem. Good luck man!

Broadshore.

I've replaced the pics in this post with modified ones. You should see some minor sunlight reflected in the canopy now.

Broadshore,

There was no communication between me and Jay-Lew (the creator of the VF CG model) about the renders beforehand. I just used his existing renders to blend into some pics using Photoshop. You can find the renders I used in the first post of this topic. As you can see there is no light reflected in the canopy at all.

For Jay-Lew to do a perfect render he would need my pics in advance to get exactly the right camera angle and lighting, but from what I've read in your posts you probably allready know that. I for one haven't got a clue what you're talking about whit things like Phong/render tree etc. :huh:

The company I work for wants me to do a course in 3d Viz in the coming year. Maybe in about a year I'll understand what you just posted.

thanks for the tips anyway.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Would one mind explaining how to do those because I am now hooked on doing those!!! :D

I tried looking for pictures of aircraft carrier decks and I found some good ones, but none that would fit those pictures or work with them. Any suggestions on where to find compatible carrier pictures that work with the VF-1A pictures?

BTW: Some different angle shots would have been nice too. Im not knocking your work because you do a fantastic job, but im just saying it would have been nice to have more on top or from bottom pictures or just straight from the side with landing gear up/down and canopy open and closed

Awesome job though!!

Edited by Thai Boxer 9901

Would one mind explaining how to do those because I am now hooked on doing those!!! :D

I tried looking for pictures of aircraft carrier decks and I found some good ones, but none that would fit those pictures or work with them. Any suggestions on where to find compatible carrier pictures that work with the VF-1A pictures?

BTW: Some different angle shots would have been nice too. Im not knocking your work because you do a fantastic job, but im just saying it would have been nice to have more on top or from bottom pictures or just straight from the side with landing gear up/down and canopy open and closed

Awesome job though!!

you have to get really lucky with finding the right pics online to fit the renders into.

I just do google image searches. Sometimes you open a site with a pic you like and there's even more and better pics on the site that google doesn't show.

In this post I explained how I created these images. I have no control over the angle in which the camera looks at the VF-1. I search for a pic to use as a background and see if one of the renders will fit into it.

I hope Jay-Lew will provide some pics of the VF-1 in flight with a pilot so it'll look a little more realistic.

Howdy all! Glad to see that everyone is enjoying thease images. If anyone has any specific angles they want of the VF-1, just post what they would like, and I can do tailored renders. As far as a pilot goes, I haven't even thought about that yet. That's a whole other thing that I haven't gotten around to starting on yet, and probably won't anytime soon, however, if anyone here on the forums would like to model a pilot, I would be more than happy to put him in the cockpit and do more renders.

Thanks,

Jason

you have to get really lucky with finding the right pics online to fit the renders into.

I just do google image searches. Sometimes you open a site with a pic you like and there's even more and better pics on the site that google doesn't show.

In this post I explained how I created these images. I have no control over the angle in which the camera looks at the VF-1. I search for a pic to use as a background and see if one of the renders will fit into it.

I hope Jay-Lew will provide some pics of the VF-1 in flight with a pilot so it'll look a little more realistic.

Yeah I read your post there and I didnt really understand lol :huh: but thats ok, im sure I will figure it out. My main problem is finding pictures that mesh with the cg VF-1 and then making it look somewhat realistic. I tried a few last night and I actually found one where an F-14 was refueling with a tanker and jay-lew just happened to have a picture that was somewhat close. Turns out, the cg VF-1 was too big for the picture and I couldnt resize it to make it look real.

grrrrr :angry:

You couldn't resize it? What program do you use?

Jay-Lew just offered to render the model from different angels. I already PM'd him with a request, you could do the same.

I found a picture of an F-14 doing air-refueling and Jay lew just happened to have a picture that looked sorta similar so I figured what the hell. Turns out, the boom from the tanker had to be resized insanely big and in order for it to look realistic, the boom had to be stretched to the top of the picture but that wasnt working at all. So I decided to some clouds behind the vf-1 and they look like they were just air brushed on and didnt look real at all.

I use paint shop pro 8 and photoshop occasionally only because Im not as familiar with it.

It all comes down to lighting. In your otherwise excellent picture Gammera, the shadows on the VF don't match those on the carrier (check the two white radomes on the tower.)

What did you use as your model? It looks like it's CG...