The Legend Of Zelda Or Final Fantasy?

UN Spacy

The Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. The Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy?

• The Legend of Zelda
    • Final Fantasy

depends on the game, in the end I love Zelda: Link to the Past just about as much as Final Fantasy 6 (3 U.S.)

421447[/snapback]

Contest is best series, as a whole.

I haven't cared for either series much lately. Been in a more action-oriented mood.

Zelda got my vote.

Ocarina of time had one of the best endings ever in gaming history.

421451[/snapback]

I voted for Zelda as well. A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are two of my favorite games (Wind Waker as well to a lesser extent). For the life of me though i can't remember Ocrina's ending... it's been what 8 or 9 years since it came out? Heh, damn maybe i'll fire it up again soon.

Edited by Veritas

If MacrossWorld flooded the GameFAQs poll with votes, they MIGHT give Zelda an extra percentage point or 2.

If it doesn't end with FF leading by at least 10%, I'll be very surprised. And even elevate my estimate of the average GameFAQer intellect above "mud."

Zelda got my vote.

Ocarina of time had one of the best endings ever in gaming history.

421451[/snapback]

I voted for Zelda as well. A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are two of my favorite games (Wind Waker as well to a lesser extent). For the life of me though i can't remember Ocrina's ending... it's been what 8 or 9 years since it came out? Heh, damn maybe i'll fire it up again soon.

421467[/snapback]

The ending in a way was somewhat just right, I felt that the whole Zelda series ended right their. I was only like 8 when I played it. Good game.

Both series are overrated and I stopped caring about them long ago.

421478[/snapback]

I disagree that Final Fantasy is overrated not Zelda. I have seen more FF games then Zelda games these days.

Anyone getting the one for the DS?

421478[/snapback]

Zelda has always had excellent gameplay whereas Final Fantasy has heavily faultered.

FF has the better and more epic feel to it, while zelda just has more for the player to do. I really couldn't stand all those boring minigames (mainly the gambling stuff and chocobo racing and breeding) they chucked into FF7. (which is what put me off FF for a long time)

Nintendo minigames at least require skill. (riding a horse and shooting at ghosts with the arrows is actually fun)

One series that needs more hyping is shenmue. If there is any justice in the world, the third game will be made.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I like both series, though I must admit FF has been wearing thin on me lately. Too many games coming out, one right after the other, with weaker plots, and less enduring characters. I mean, we're already seeing trailers for Final Fantasy 13, when 12 isn't even out yet!

I'm less and less excited about FF these days. I hope that Sakaguchi's new studio, Mistwalker, shows some excellent new games. Studio founded by the man who created FF, with Uematsu and Amano signed on for freelance work. Sounds good to me.

Zelda, on the other hand, tends to be infrequent enough between games, that I'm always happy to see a new one. And with the latest boasting the Wii's controller, which I'm very excited about, Twilight Princess is far and away a more exciting prospect than the newest FF games, in my own personal opinion.

Even so, I plan on picking up both FF3 and Phantom Hourglass for the DS.

421478[/snapback]

I'm pretty much the same way. All of them have always had something that they wouldn't let go of and it continually made for somewhat boring games. From Zelda's continued same olde character, same olde gameplay (safe), and same olde plot to FF's continued scattershot writing, trend based characters, and it's lack of creative item building.

Edited by chrono

Naturally, I'm abstaining from voting at this point, as I really don't care which series wins the annual Gamefaqs fanboy popularity contest. I think it's kinda ridiculous that children who weren't even born when the SNES was released have elevated a series that didn't even become popular until the seventh entry to the alpha and omega of gaming, while largely ignoring series like Super Mario Bros that pretty much set the standards for 2D and 3D platforming.

Besides, for me, it's all about the Megaman.

Screw franchises (even though i love both) what about xenogears?? i would love a "true" sequel or prequel not xenosaga, or even the chrono trigger saga, better yet i want another Super Mario RPG, the game that truly got me into RPGs along with chrono trigger.

Screw franchises (even though i love both) what about xenogears?? i would love a "true" sequel or prequel not xenosaga, or even the chrono trigger saga, better yet i want another Super Mario RPG, the game that truly got me into RPGs along with chrono trigger.

421624[/snapback]

Ah Chrono Trigger! Yes The RPG Genre as a whole definitely peaked in 1995 with the release of Chrono Trigger. I don't think there's been a game yet that can beat it. I'll still set up the SNES from time to time and have a go at Chrono whereas many RPGs I'll simply play through once.

I don't even want a sequel to Chrono Trigger (Cross doesn't count) just give me a remake of the original. I want Crono, Lucca, Marle, Robo, Ayla, Frog, and Magus saving the world from Lavos all over again, 3D, 2D, one 20-hour long FMV cutscene, whatever.

FF will win. But I'm not voting. I'm ignoring the "contest" as I do every year.

421443[/snapback]

I agree on the ignoring the contest gamefaqs does most of them are pokemon lovers anyways plus the message board users are very anoying.

Zelda was always kind of boring. I don't really give a damn about any of the characters. At least FF tried a little. Zelda just is generic to me. People bust a nut over Ocarina of Time, but I was never impressed.

I've been playing Zelda games since part one and Final Fantasy games since the one with Cecil.

I'd give FF a slight edge.

421624[/snapback]

Xenogears bombed pretty badly.

Of course this MIGHT have something to do with the fact that it was unadvertized, and released in a half-completed state because Square stole the Xenogears budget to boost FF8's budget, leaving them with nothing to spend on disk 2.

Ah Chrono Trigger!  Yes The RPG Genre as a whole definitely peaked in 1995 with the release of Chrono Trigger.  I don't think there's been a game yet that can beat it.

Tales of Destiny.

Valkyrie Profile.

Parasite Eve.

Symphony of the Night.

Lunar: Eternal Blue(rockin' it oldschool on the SegaCD).

Crystalis(rockin' it older school on the NES)

I do like CT a lot, though.

It's a fun game, with a lot of replay value.

And it's an audiovisual masterpiece. The game's beautiful, and it has one of my favorite game soundtracks.

Been debating starting a new file recently. It's been a few years since I messed with it. I've probably run through Super Metroid 3 times since I last touched CT.

I don't even want a sequel to Chrono Trigger (Cross doesn't count) just give me a remake of the original.  I want Crono, Lucca, Marle, Robo, Ayla, Frog, and Magus saving the world from Lavos all over again, 3D, 2D, one 20-hour long FMV cutscene, whatever.

If the game's already perfect, why does it need remaking?

And the writing isn't good enough to make a cartoon series out of it.

And Chrono Cross DOES count. It's a darn good game, and if people hadn't had impossibly high expectations to start with it would've been hailed as one of the better games on the PS.

Look at the screen name; it's pretty obvious which side I'd lean towards.

But even I can see where the FF series, as a whole, can be found lacking. You look at a game like FF6 that had a massive list of playable characters (Many of which had fairly involved backstories), a great soundtrack, and an even more memorable villian (who actually SUCCEEDED in conquering the world). And when you compare it to the more recent entries of the series, you can see how the series has slipped a bit in recent years.

And I'm not too much of an elitist to see that Zelda is damn good series in its own right. Though personally, I've always liked Zelda II more than A Link to the Past. (I've always thought that Link to the Past was just too easy of a game to beat.) (Never played Ocarina of Time either, so I'm not exactly the best person to judge the recent series of games).

As for CT, THAT is arguably one of the best RPG's ever released. Boss battles that actually force you to use some strategy and thinkin'. A hell of a lot of replay value (to get all those various endings). And memorable characters with tag-team magic/attacking techniques!

Never played Ocarina of Time either

You disgust me!

:D

Although I have to admit there was some weakness: world map wasn't as maze-like as other zelda games. Just a hub with areas sticking off the sides of it. (but maybe they chose to put lots of empty space there so it would be fun roding a horse) But for the rest of us zelda fans: beautiful representation of zelda in 3d. (climbing up to a high spot and viewing all the locations from a nice distance as the sun set, all the things we could finally do that wouldn't have been the same in 2d)

What I would have wished for more than CG-happy final fantasy games with prerendered background is for square to have done for secret of mana, what nintendo did for zelda in OOT. Make the world in 3d, with random weather and time of day, and you roam around in that world with similar control like OOT.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yet the half of Xenogears that was released is still my fave game... (Also, unlike say KOTOR2, they actually finished it up quite well, rather than flat out STOPPING the game and leaving loose ends all over the place when they ran out of time/money)

And I'll second Valkyrie Profile for beating most anything. It certainly wins for "best reason to play through twice". Nothing else comes close---it's like the entire second half of the game plays out differently when you go for the alternate ending. It's not the last 5 mins that's different, it's the last 15 hours.

Interestingly, my fave 2 games ever also have the best 2 soundtracks ever. Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile. Though I think I may have to give the music edge to VP. (Legend of Mana rounds out the top 3 soundtracks ever, but certainly not game)

As for Zelda: Ocarina of Time had the most complex/involved dungeons. Certainly the most brain-wracking water puzzle---iron boots on, iron boots off---and you'd spend 20 mins working your way back up just to see what that OTHER switch did, to get ready to get the other ones set up.

Zelda 4 is still the best IMHO--yes, "Link's Awakening" on the Gameboy. Black and white. I loved the dungeons and gadgets.

Final Fantasy---4,6,7,9,10. Others are forgettable, plotwise IMHO. I think 9 is very underappreciated. It's like a modern 4, and was exactly what I wanted. Just always wish the 4 temples of the fiends were actually DONE---they did a Xenogears there---just TOLD you about what happened, you didn't actually explore them. That could have been 4 very good, important dungeons to go through.

Edited by David Hingtgen

And Chrono Cross DOES count. It's a darn good game, and if people hadn't had impossibly high expectations to start with it would've been hailed as one of the better games on the PS.

True, but how the heck could it be considered a Chrono Trigger sequel? Everybody from the original dies somehow, and you don't even time-travel. You're not even able to go to the same region of the world. There's just too little to connect the two.

True, but how the heck could it be considered a Chrono Trigger sequel? Everybody from the original dies somehow, and you don't even time-travel. You're not even able to go to the same region of the world. There's just too little to connect the two.

421865[/snapback]

Lunar 2's in the same boat, and it's a sequel.

Well, Nall lives, but everyone else is stuck with the effects a thousand years generaly have on a human body.

And many games have sequels that aren't even set in the same world, much less with the same characters.

Final Fantasy and the "Tales of" series spring to mind.

Chrono Cross deals directly with the effects of the original adventure on the world.

It's a closer sequel than many other games that bear the label.