Your Favorite Form Of The Valkyrie

Phren

Which form do you care about most in development of a new toy?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which form do you care about most in development of a new toy?

• Fighter mode - Macross is about fighters and squadrons!
    • Battroid Mode - Macross is about Robot Soldiers!
    • Gerwalk Mode - Macross is about bluring the line!
    • NO preference - Balance above anything!

Well, Macross has always been one of the few series who's toys attracted both the mecha/Transformers/G****m die hards as well as the Fighter fans alike. Balance between the modes has always been a big issue, but Different sides have their own priorites, so - How evenly are the lines split here?

I've always been a fighter fan myself, if looks worthy of takeoff, then the other modes have to fall in line behind that. So I like the 1/48 look, but others say its fighter mode was too favored, and battriod mode is all wrong.

To you, Is a Valkyrie a Fighter that turns into a robot or a robot that turns into a fighter?

(I did a search, but didn't come up with anything, and if t was done too far in the past, then it might not be relevent to the current population)

Feel free to delete this if you feel it has no place here

Edited by Phren

I'm all about beautiful fighter designs that can also transform - aviation was my first love as a kid, so that's probably why. If the battroid looks cool, all the better. I could care less about gerwalk, but IMO only the VF-1/VF-0 can pull off that mode.

I voted that I liked it in all forms but with the understanding we're only discussing the VF-1. The VF-19 has a horrid GERWALK (IMHO) as does the VF-17 when it does that stubby guns and legs down thing. The VF-22 has a strange GERWALK I don't quite understand. So basically, for any of those other valks I mentioned they'd get "any mode but GERWALK" and the VF-1 gets "any mode, plain and simple."

To you, Is a Valkyrie a Fighter that turns into a robot or a robot that turns into a fighter?

419972[/snapback]

A valk is a jet fighter that turns into a robot. Because vehicle mode is based on a real vehicle so that mode should be the most accurate. The jet fighter mode came first, then they made it transformable to fight the enemy. They didn't have giant robots that needed to transform into jets for any reason. You can just make giant robots that fly like Mazinger Z, tetsujin, ect.........really no need to make a robot become a jet. If you say that you need a robot thats fast as a jet, then you can just put fixed wings on the robot and make it sleek as possible with maybe some minor transformation. No need to completely transform into a jet, especially an F-14.

I voted for balance. It needs to look cool in all modes.

Edited by LL Cool VF1J

I'm all about MACORSS. :p  :lol:  :lol:

419979[/snapback]

Ack, I can't believe I did that - TWICE even.. I am the reigning champ for the world's worst typist :lol:

And yeah I'll agree that only the vf-1 (and the zero - though I haven't really looked at it that much ) have a gerwalk mode that's any kind of tolerable, but I've always loved the vf1's G mode to death, especially when they have the legs bent foward the correct way, and a littel outward angle - IE> Everything a stock Bandai isn't

I voted for Battroid mode because, honestly, that's what attracted me to Robotech and Transformers as a kid...the robots. If Macross had only been about characters who flew planes that did not transform, it probably would not have held my interest this long.

I voted Fighter because I've always liked combat aircraft from all eras. My favourite as a kid was the Fokker DR1.

The thing I liked about Robotech the most as a kid was the VF-1 (Second was Misa!), and its ability to transform into a robot just blew me away, but to me they always were fighters that could turn into robots.

G mode means little to me, just a minor feature that comes handy every once in a while. And not one that's particularly easy on the eye.

Edited by Screech

i voted for GERWALK---> half battroid, half fighter... :lol:

i luv macross valks cos it can transform into half robot n half plane

rather than just straight forward rabot to vehicle mode kinda nothing unusuall as i always see that kind of stuff in the Transformers, gobots, etc..

well i think gerwalk idea has made macross valk unique in its own way..

Edited by Auto Pilot Off

balance between all modes. whats the point of concentrating on 1 mode only to let the other 2 suffer?

personally, i like gerwalk mode the best, theres just something very appealing about seeing both halves of the mecha at once.

The fighter mode needs to work... if the fighter mode isn't believable, then it becomes a transformer.

420040[/snapback]

THAT'S exactly what I meant to say. I'm all thumbs when it comes to wording things.

But yeah, besides the fact tha I think combat aircraft just kick ass in gereral, that's the main reason I look to fighter mode first.

A Valk is a plane that can just for convenience turn into a robot. Planes are cool and robots are cool so mix em up and Valks are cool x2.

The only Gerwalks that look good are the VF-0 and VF-1 all the others look a little strange.

I voted for Battroid Mode.  Fighter will always look nice but the Battriod mode has to be balance not to look ugly.  It has to be able to stand well and support the wieght of it's fastpacks.  Gerwalk mode I could care less about.

420112[/snapback]

love the gerwalk. theres just something cool about hovering in a jet fighter. I like all the gerwalk forms except for the stealth valkyrie's and the yf-21's. I love the vf-0, vf-1, thunderbolt, and yf-19.

I'm all about MACORSS. :p  :lol:  :lol:

419979[/snapback]

Ack, I can't believe I did that - TWICE even.. I am the reigning champ for the world's worst typist :lol:

And yeah I'll agree that only the vf-1 (and the zero - though I haven't really looked at it that much ) have a gerwalk mode that's any kind of tolerable, but I've always loved the vf1's G mode to death, especially when they have the legs bent foward the correct way, and a littel outward angle - IE> Everything a stock Bandai isn't

420014[/snapback]

Fixed! And don't say that I never use my powers for good, even though evil is more fun... also I just noticed when I was editting the typos... I can totally change the numbers of votes!!!! MWUAHAHAHAHA... that's kinda lame though, what's the point of that?

I'll be honest, I don't have a favourite mode. Individual VF's may have modes I'm less partial too (Gerwalk on the 17 for example, prefer my 17s and 19's in fighter mode, but love Gerwalk on the VF-1 and the VF-11) but I don't have a broad preference for one mode or another in general.

Karl

Well, since the poll is asking which form I care about most in the development of a new toy, I'd have to say the fighter mode.

Yes, it's important that all three forms are balanced and looked proportioned "right." And granted, I usually display my stuff in Battroid mode and love coming up with cool poses in Battroid mode.

But there's just something beautiful and pure about the fighter mode. I may pose my VF-1J Hik' in its GBP armor, but I still absolutely love the pics I took of it looking bad-ass in fighter mode. :wub:

For me I will take a balanced toy over one that is too focused in one area. But for the show I think of them as fighters that can have some kind of humanoid form to allow for the use of giant hand carried weapons.

There is just something cool about the robot mode running into battle with guns blazing and hiding behind a building or crouching for cover as if it were meant to do that and not just be some afterthought. There is also a certain grace to robots when it comes to space combat: when the qrau is battling max in the SDF1 and he dodges and strafes and changes modes to avoid all the missile swarms it just makes a lot of sense that the humans would need something like that. Macross did a good job of making use of all three modes and legitamising them in my mind. (where they might have gone to waste in other shows)

I remember the episode where hikaru is fighting kamjin in his glaug and he has only 1 arm left and he is nervous about making the wrong moves. They are both battle damaged and the next shot might mean the end. The fact that it was more like a standoff between two skilled "gunfighters" rather than a fast paced dogfight with guided weapons made the battroid seem all the more cool. (if you need stability and accuracy and thought of the machine as an extension of yourself which responds to your own reflexs then battroid mode makes a lot of sense)

Another thing that stood out for me about the valk robot mode is that episode where hikaru has to take out the zentradi ship whose crew were spying on the beauty contest. When he transforms into robot mode to explore the ship after he blows a hole in it, that is where I can see the advantage of a machine with some kind of robot muscle to rip apart something that would be risky if you were just in a space fighter. The role of the robot is more than just combat, I just think it will be much more convenient to see and explore things that way if you have some manipulator to move and grab objects (the same way we have to use machine for heavy work) without wasting time.

The octos is a good example of an underwater robot where the limbs are useful: they can just pick the AFOS up with the robot arms and it just seem second nature. No need to tie anything together or tow it. Every morning when the garbage truck picks up the garbage bin with robot arm to empty it, it is done for convenience and speed, and to get more work done with less effort and more quickly. The idea for just grabbing the heavy object and shoving its contents in the back mechanically isn't an afterthought. So I liken it to that but for space in that: at any time when there is some junk or large-scale object the arm/claws can be used for something useful beyond what it is intended for. (holding a giant weapon)

As for gerwalk: it is a cool transition between air and ground. When a fighter is coming in for a landing it can gracefully skate across the surface and gradually come to a stop to transform into battroid. Or the battroid mode can transform into gerwalk, take off vertically and then go into fighter when the need arises. In space, gerwalk mode would be handy in that kind of situation where there is less need to maintain a high speed to stay flying. With Fast Pack you can still move forward with booster and brake with the feet. Ah... such a cool mode. :D You also got the advantage that holding a gunpod in your arm while in gerwalk as well as another thing in the other just looks cool. There are tactical advantages as it's lower to the ground than robot mode and provides a smaller profile. In a single seat fighter it's the only way hikaru can rescue his princess while flying away. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Ack, I can't believe I did that - TWICE even.. I am the reigning champ for the world's worst typist  :lol:

420014[/snapback]

Fixed! And don't say that I never use my powers for good, even though evil is more fun... also I just noticed when I was editting the typos... I can totally change the numbers of votes!!!! MWUAHAHAHAHA... that's kinda lame though, what's the point of that?

420150[/snapback]

Thanks for that.. hey, wait... change the votes? Why would they even give you the option?

Thant's it! I demand a recount! :lol: