Zentraedi Naval Vessel - Thuverl Salan

chrono

Ok while clean-up and the larger surface details I did a test design with the main thrusters. I've always felt that they looked odd and since I've not seen anything to saw otherwise about this area I've try'ed out a small sleeve type of design for added detail.

Should I keep it? Tweak it some? Or not use it?

post-2410-1168505941_thumb.jpg

man thats alot of polys just in that pic.will you texture this or just use nodes?

Not alot of poly's really some where around 25-50,000 and many of the ones you see in the thrusters insides won't be there come finishing time. Plenty of time. It'll be textures... when I get a computer that will handle the model better and that's a ways off.

Thanks for the feedback!

post-2410-1168587929_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrono

• 2 weeks later...

Bouncing around the design right now getting the smaller detail dealt with.

Right now I'm working on the large top turrets and general placement of the smaller ones. But anyways how does the middle large turret look? It's the one that is nearly finished.

post-2410-1169584076_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1169584295_thumb.jpg

Bouncing around the design right now getting the smaller detail dealt with.

Right now I'm working on the large top turrets and general placement of the smaller ones. But anyways how does the middle large turret look? It's the one that is nearly finished.

I hope you plan to make a grey scaled or colorless render available once this beauty is finished. That would make it easier for Photoshop users to color her whatever they wish. Whether it be a ship from Breetai's fleet or Lap Lamis' fleet...

Very sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Good job on the model. I was just rewatching SDF Macross today, and hadn't ever noticed this before but some of those turrets are actually mecha hatches, you can see pods launching from them during the attack in Saturn's Rings.

Amidships: Main Turrets and weapon weapons added. The Amidships are completed by official records(sans the mid-line trench).

Stern: Additional Secondary weapons added and other 'possible' weapon placements added. The Stern is completed by official records(sans the mid-line trench).

Now what I mean by "completed by official records" means that it's completed by the printed designs and videos. Now my 'personal', but still official details will now be added.

[Mad Scientist Laugh]

post-2410-1171164082_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1171164156_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1171164258_thumb.jpg

Well after 2 days of farce I've found that until I get access to a far better computer most imagery will be either screen captures or small portions rendered, but nothing full scale.

For now a low res shot will have to do.

Edited by chrono

Looking good. What is the poly count for this so far?

Thanks! For those parts in the render it's 1.67 million out of a 3 million budget and the Bow isn't much more than 300k. That leaves plenty for the trench details and other issues. I maybe going over my budget because of the hanger thrusters though...

@Mr. March, 50-100k hasn't been much for around a good 5 years and to make it even more silly most gaming scenes have around 500k-1 million faces. I just think that people don't want to put the effort into building a detailed CG model without nearly every single detail shown. I hope for the day that someone comes along and builds a far better ship that I have!!!

Edited by chrono

Thanks! For those parts in the render it's 1.67 million out of a 3 million budget and the Bow isn't much more than 300k. That leaves plenty for the trench details and other issues. I maybe going over my budget because of the hanger thrusters though...

@Mr. March, 50-100k hasn't been much for around a good 5 years and to make it even more silly most gaming scenes have around 500k-1 million faces. I just think that people don't want to put the effort into building a detailed CG model without nearly every single detail shown. I hope for the day that someone comes along and builds a far better ship that I have!!!

Maybe when twin 64 bit processors with 8 Gigs of Ram is the norm for all home based systems, but for now I'll take yours anyday... ;)

Just praying for the day you have a system capable of giving us hi res images of that work of art! :p

LOL, I suppose it has been a good number of years since Join The Empire :) Spitoni's excellent Star Destroyer model was about 200,000 polys I think. I haven't downloaded CG fan videos in years, so I guess I'm behind the times. Writing about those vids now has got me thinking, maybe I should search for some of those on google and watch them. Perhaps one or two of those eternal works-in-progress CG vids might actually be completed by now :)

I doubt anyone is going to build a Zentradi ship as good as yours. The popularity of Macross does not draw the kind of fan modellers like the other big sci-fi franchises such as Star Wars. I have a strong feeling your work is going to be unique for a long time.

Working on the Bow section not much basic detail here at all and during the original blocking out I ended up doing most of the work. LOL! But frankly I've been avoiding this section because it reminds me overly much of a penis... and well you know the jokes that go with that...

I've still got abit of detail left to add, the area behind the dome piece gets some elevated surfaces, and some SERIOUS polygon reduction to do because of the use of subdivision concentrates alot of polys in this area(300k worth). After that the 95% of the 'offical' design is done! Leaving the dorsal amidships mecha launch hatchs and, the WORST part of the ship, the hangerbay door.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......... :wacko:

post-2410-1172355705_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1172355915_thumb.jpg

Hey now, don't be dissing the phallic nature of the Zentradi ships. That's why Macross is so damn cool, it's one big phallic homage! Real men watch Macross! LOL :)

Just be thankful you're not doing the Nupetiet-Vergnitzs command ship. That one's even got a urethra :):p

LOL! :lol:

You guys... :lol:

Anyways I've been finalized the little things and came to the mecha launch port in front of the main turrets, and realized that it's not very clear(second image related). So should I go 4 bays as it's shown with it being asymmetrical, 6 bays being sysmetrical, or 4 bays sysmetrical?

And I think I found a new render engine over the weekend! It was able to render the entire model(triangulated so it's around 3.8 million faces) in 2 minutes 23 seconds. Which is beyond superior to the 30 minute render time for only 2/3rd's of the model with the same settings. :D Now I just have to learn how to use it. lol!

post-2410-1172517660_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1172517801_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrono

LOL! :lol:

You guys... :lol:

Anyways I've been finalized the little things and came to the mecha launch port in front of the main turrets, and realized that it's not very clear(second image related). So should I go 4 bays as it's shown with it being asymmetrical, 6 bays being sysmetrical, or 4 bays sysmetrical?

Hey, it's funny because it's true. If you really looked at all the phallic symbols in Macross, from the VF-1 to the Zentradi ships, there's hundreds. Freud would love Macross :)

I'd go six bays symmetrical since that picture doesn't show all that much and is somewhat obscured. Besides, it's not like anyone can complain, you're pretty much the only show in the whole world for CG zentradi ships :)

• 2 weeks later...

A small update.

The main hull is completed and all of the Official ship has been built.

No renders of any type have been done because I'm still coming to grips with the new renderer and it's quirks. But I've not stopped working on the ship. Currently I'm working on the last bit of the Bow's trench detail. I just have to make an integration detail pass to make it look like the details aren't just stuck on.

The small trench piece is what the detail should look like for the entire trench, and the small white arrow is showing where that piece of the trench is in the second image.

post-2410-1173303191_thumb.jpg

post-2410-1173303309_thumb.jpg